Some concerns regarding the upcoming changes in the Hector update

• Some concerns regarding the upcoming changes in the Hector update

Neu

So this thread is in response to the upcoming changes found here:

albiononline.com/en/news/albion-development-recap-190517

Some issues I'm concerned with based on these mentioned changes (I recognize some people will see these as good changes):

1) Tier 8 resources can now only be gathered by large and successful pvp guilds, which puts a new limit on crafting and gathering content for solo and small group players.

2) The centralized city (Caerleon) in the Royal Continent means large pvp guilds will control a large part of the global economy, due to being able to warp back and forth between the Outlands and Royal Continent, even with negative reputation, while having access to abundant rare resources and restricted tier 8 resources. Think Walmart controlling the market instead of a bunch of local merchants.

3) Caerleon will be the only auction house worth using due to it being the hub that leads to the other 75% of the game outside the Royal Continent. I don't think this is necessarily bad, but it does sort of make it pointless to create islands anywhere but Caerleon. Leaving the other auction houses and island location selection available feels like leaving a trap for new players.

4) Higher amounts of rare resources in the Outlands, along with tier 8 resources only being available to watchtowers, means this game is now taking a huge step closer towards the entire game focus revolving around pvp guilds (this is good news for some, and not as great news for others).

What are your thoughts on the upcoming changes? I'm less experienced at playing the game (only had it for a week), so I'd be interested in hearing some veteran viewpoints.
    • Neu

#1 is the valid concern, but it's hard to know how much of a negative impact it will have until we see it play out over time. This will place more value in territory and possibly increase the gain from GvGs which is what they are trying to accomplish and I think it will succeed at that.

#2 Let's face it, it keeps coming back to having a centralized city. Most people want this, whether they admit it or not. Multiple outland's cities general mean they are all dead. I think this will be a good thing. You will still have traffic in the other cities due to the fact that they are safe to get to and Caerleon will most definitely NOT be safe. More so than ever with all the black zone players funneled through it. But it will definitely hold the largest market share of goods, whether you think that is good or bad changes from player to player.

#3 See above. As far as being a trap to new players, this whole game punishes inexperience, I consider that part of the fun. I guess some people don't? Moving an island is not the most expensive mistake most people will make in this game.

#4 The whole game is designed around the sandbox experience, but let's face it, making solo players on equal footing in every way to guilds is not possible or in my opinion would be stupid even if possible. The devs seem to be trying very hard to accommodate different play styles and less access to T8 really isn't a big deal for 90% of the population. T8 and T8.1 will still show up on auction houses just like before.

Time will certainly tell on these changes though. The devs will generally backtrack on their bad decisions, though with launch so soon this might be the final state of the game for a while. Unless it's really bad.
    • Neu

Thanks for the reply and info.

Just to clarify my opinion on solo player success vs large guild success in resource gathering and crafting, I don't feel that solo players should be on equal footing to large guilds, of course. The current state of the game gives a huge advantage to large guilds being able to comb the black zones and collect resources safely with protection in large groups. These groups can murder and steal all resources being farmed by solo players in the area. This is a big disadvantage to solo players, but I think this is fine. My concern was that the tier 8 resources only being available to watchtowers means that solo players can't even make a risky attempt at getting the best resources any longer. The solo player is barred from gaining access with the new changes.
    • Neu

Jardhoops schrieb:

#3 See above. As far as being a trap to new players, this whole game punishes inexperience, I consider that part of the fun. I guess some people don't? Moving an island is not the most expensive mistake most people will make in this game.
      Are you seriously saying that ghost cities with no one using them as a trap for newbies is a positive thing? It's the same as saying that we will just have useless cities that no one uses for the sole purpose of lolling when a newbie makes his island there and moves a week later.

And btw, this game does not punish inexperience in any way except for being inefficant in farming speed, which is just natural on every single game in the world.

Jardhoops schrieb:

The devs will generally backtrack on their bad decisions
      This statement is completely false when it comes to SBI.
      Ding dong the witch is dead?
    • Neu

Nervontuxis schrieb:

Jardhoops schrieb:

Are you seriously saying that ghost cities with no one using them as a trap for newbies is a positive thing? It's the same as saying that we will just have useless cities that no one uses for the sole purpose of lolling when a newbie makes his island there and moves a week later.
      And btw, this game does not punish inexperience in any way except for being inefficant in farming speed, which is just natural on every single game in the world.

Jardhoops schrieb:

The devs will generally backtrack on their bad decisions
      This statement is completely false when it comes to SBI.
      SBI made the world too big last beta, so they made it smaller this beta, how is that not a case of backtracking. Meaning claiming what I said is completely false is just not correct. I'm not trying to claim they do it for everything.

They won't be ghost cities though? You will have plenty of people too scared to go through red zones to Caerleon. I don't consider something a trap that can be easily escaped. You can pick up and move at any time in this game. I also did not imply it was positive, just not a big deal as a negative. Which is my opinion, clearly you have a different view on it, and that is fine.
    • Neu

Jardhoops schrieb:

#1 is the valid concern, but it's hard to know how much of a negative impact it will have until we see it play out over time. This will place more value in territory and possibly increase the gain from GvGs which is what they are trying to accomplish and I think it will succeed at that.

#2 Let's face it, it keeps coming back to having a centralized city. Most people want this, whether they admit it or not. Multiple outland's cities general mean they are all dead. I think this will be a good thing. You will still have traffic in the other cities due to the fact that they are safe to get to and Caerleon will most definitely NOT be safe. More so than ever with all the black zone players funneled through it. But it will definitely hold the largest market share of goods, whether you think that is good or bad changes from player to player.

#4 The whole game is designed around the sandbox experience, but let's face it, making solo players on equal footing in every way to guilds is not possible or in my opinion would be stupid even if possible. The devs seem to be trying very hard to accommodate different play styles and less access to T8 really isn't a big deal for 90% of the population. T8 and T8.1 will still show up on auction houses just like before.

Time will certainly tell on these changes though. The devs will generally backtrack on their bad decisions, though with launch so soon this might be the final state of the game for a while. Unless it's really bad.
      Will a central city really kill the care bear tier 1 -4 zones? They will still be able to make tier 4 mats for chump change and sell them on AH for decent profit or will a central market ultimately just drive down prices so much that the economy of the smaller cities will kind of crash?

By crash I mean why the hell would you ever pay more at a noob city AH when you could go to the primary market?
    • Neu

its not just the prices of a central hub, its the amount of buyers, and the availability, theyll just go straight to caerleon because they know it will have what they want, for most likely the cheapest price. happened last beta with Queens Market. where as, you may put up a price in another city and obviously charge more for your traveling troubles, but who is going thru there to buy it? and isnt willing to travel 5 minutes more to caerleon (which also is their "main city").

T8 in guild terris only, pple who wanted to gvg were already doing it, those pple now have more incentive to do it, as well as better resources to do it with. if you ever want T8 prepare to go thru guild channels to get it, not that this wasnt basically already the case if you wanted a full T8 set.

Everyone will have all their stuff based there, it makes the most sense, its the hub, the closest to the blacks, the one with the best market. theres no reason to go anywhere else with you island.

in all i think theyre bad changes. makes Blackzones harder to break into since there is no safe place liek a city or port for non guildies or gathers to bank and take a break at, reinforces the guilds that already GvG by making them not have to search for T8 and giving them premium & territory gathering bonuses too, forcing a central hub might make sense purely to fix the population spread issues at this point in the beta, absolutely trash idea for a full release.
    • Neu

The whole portal idea make the outlands does not feel like a continent. While the harbors give us an impression of the discovery of new lands, , where law does not exist yet. Now it looks like just an instanced dungeon like expedition. You chose from the same citie where you will land in the whole continent.
    • Neu

I'm realy concerned about the T8 resource change. This completly remove T8 for 90% of the population.
      This change will make it impossible for newer guild to compete with the top guilds. Once you get your outland territories you get you resources at specific time,
      So yea the strong guilds will get stronger and stronger.
      Right now smaller guild/solo player can go scout for T8 this adds activity with possible reward for people. If T8 is only top 10 guilds only content if you want to be gatherer you are forced to join the top guilds controlling the territories and hope to be given the right to mine those T8s becouse it is alot easier for Top guilds just to log their gatherer at the specified time afk safely gather their resource in their theritory. log out and repeat that again. They wont have to put effort at least to search the map for the T8. They won't be put in any risk getting ganked by someone...
      Why have the T8 even spawn nodes... Just give them as reward to the guild controlling territories. Like the laborers
    • Neu

AcOrP schrieb:

Why have the T8 even spawn nodes... Just give them as reward to the guild controlling territories. Like the laborers
      I said this before, but I was being sarcastic. With these changes to T8 I will stop playing unless I am misunderstanding something. Top tier gathering will not be much different from farming on your island. Hopefully they change their minds before release.
    • Neu

Wallet-Warrior schrieb:

Thanks for the reply and info.

Just to clarify my opinion on solo player success vs large guild success in resource gathering and crafting, I don't feel that solo players should be on equal footing to large guilds, of course. The current state of the game gives a huge advantage to large guilds being able to comb the black zones and collect resources safely with protection in large groups. These groups can murder and steal all resources being farmed by solo players in the area. This is a big disadvantage to solo players, but I think this is fine. My concern was that the tier 8 resources only being available to watchtowers means that solo players can't even make a risky attempt at getting the best resources any longer. The solo player is barred from gaining access with the new changes.
      #1 gatherer on the server is currently a solo player (for the most part, at least in the gathering department he is like 99% solo, we - as his guild only help him haul stuff)...

I'll let that sink in....

nuff said

@Buldozer

EDIT: Im pretty much a solo gatherer myself. Able to wear/gather T8 and im like top 180 on server...
      DarthMagus - t8 stone t5 curse
    • Neu

i really want this game to be great, but it seems the general population has played to much of games like WOW. That T8 resource/gear is for Elder's. I have only put on one piece of T8 gear on in beta 1. When I got that gear I felt like I was the absolute best thing since white bread.

If you want everyone running around in "Elder" gear all the time, I suggest you go play WOW.

Let the Top guilds farm the T8, If you are a real "unspoiled" gamer then you will realize that you can at some point get that T8 from the top guilds, or from laborers maybe.

Everyone wants to be an Elder until its time to do Elder stuff.
      Remove the following features: Fast Travel and Re-Roll.
      ( If you agree with me, copy my signature to help make this opinion more widespread. )
    • Neu

SockMonkey schrieb:

i really want this game to be great, but it seems the general population has played to much of games like WOW. That T8 resource/gear is for Elder's. I have only put on one piece of T8 gear on in beta 1. When I got that gear I felt like I was the absolute best thing since white bread.

If you want everyone running around in "Elder" gear all the time, I suggest you go play WOW.

Let the Top guilds farm the T8, If you are a real "unspoiled" gamer then you will realize that you can at some point get that T8 from the top guilds, or from laborers maybe.

Everyone wants to be an Elder until its time to do Elder stuff.
      No I don't want to be in Elder's I want to be gatherer and be the best at it.
      Why I should be denied the chance to take high risk for high reward?
      There won't be change to the rarity of elder it will be as rare as right now, it will just be exclusive to the top guilds.
      Yes they may sell it on the AH. So what gatherers want to gather not to buy.
    • Neu

I want end game content for other players, than mass guilds. And this is not a childish "I want", it's a very altruistic one in a sandbox world. A healthy one, too, as end game pvp is driven by the amount of players in black.

T8 is gatherer end game content and should be enabled for solo and group players. This would keep those players pushing into black and facing pvp.

No need to make it easy for anyone.

A game centered around gvg guilds should be called "Cluster World GvG RPG" with some gathering and crafting to stimulate pvp.

A game centered around sandbox pvp open world should not put T8 in territories and draw a line at T6 for others. This game has so much possible ways to improve, yet we go more and more in the direction of cluster world gvg. I really lost some major hope with the announcement. Now it's up to the second part of hector...
      you are no longer fighting alone
    • Neu

In an open pvp game wherein HL guilds are holding best resources thus gear as economy in their filthy hands, leading to maxed out leveled as geared players (T8) able to come in middle level zones (T5) to destroy anyone thanks to their number by zerging and/or their stuff in small roaming groups, is no more a fair nor smart pvp game.

This is definitely tyranny of HL guilds over the entire world but blue zones... Especially when the T8 gear is behind such a grind wall that f2p players will have a very long and very hard time by just reaching it.

So basically this game is going to be no more f2p but rather freemium for organized decently populated guild of players, if not plain p2w for all the other : solo as small guilds having no choice but to spend golds trying to catch up (if it's ever possible : how could big HL T8 ruling guilds could be defeated by new coming T6 ones ?) due to number being eventually the only thing to really matter.

Better drop f2p right away and make it b2p with premium becoming the actual basic for everyone and add a cash shop for golds selling the usual cosmetic goodies (pets, special mounts ingredients, original environnement for islands and the such) would be way less false advertising.
    • Neu

owensssss schrieb:

its not just the prices of a central hub, its the amount of buyers, and the availability, theyll just go straight to caerleon because they know it will have what they want, for most likely the cheapest price. happened last beta with Queens Market. where as, you may put up a price in another city and obviously charge more for your traveling troubles, but who is going thru there to buy it? and isnt willing to travel 5 minutes more to caerleon (which also is their "main city").
      If a lot of the blackzone players are living there, it is quite possibly going to become pretty dangerous to journey to Carleon from the outlying yellow and blue areas, especially for lower tier players.
    • Neu

Zotar schrieb:

owensssss schrieb:

If a lot of the blackzone players are living there, it is quite possibly going to become pretty dangerous to journey to Carleon from the outlying yellow and blue areas, especially for lower tier players.
      There are still alot of enterences to carleon you pretty much have invuln buff in the underground passage and you have like 1 red map to worry about which you still get the invul buff for quite decent part of the map. Also blob mechanic + hostile counter. I feel like this idea should be tested, before they release in 2 month making such changes that will most likely be huge fail.
    • Neu

Hi all,

I just posted some replies here.

Here is a TLDR:
      • Markets and trade routes outside of the green cities currently do not work that great. The Caerleon change condenses all outland cities and the red city into one. This will give rise to much more efficient high end trade, and also create really nice trade routes from green to Caerleon and from Caerleon. While these routes are short, they will also be exicting due to being gankable - though this is kept somewhat in check by the crime and reputation system on the royal side of Caerleon
      • Note that you can always use all portals FROM the Outlands TO Caerleon, even if you are currently "locked". If you do, your "lock" will be overwritten to the Outland portal that you just used. Hence, the portal locking only restricts your travel FROM Caerleon TO the Outlands.
      • Another key benefit of the changes is that we expect them to make both, the red zones and the black zones, much more active then they are right now, as Caerleon now provides a really cool basis for both.
      • The green player cities will still be very active. After all, they will remain the main hubs for lower end resources, and also remain the base for all of the players who prefer green/yellow zone play over red/black zone play.
      • When it comes to game performance, with some of the recent changes that we made, we are comfortable that we can support 750 players in a single city. We do not expect Caerleon to go beyond that, if it does, we have contingency plans that we can execute.
      Best regards,
      Korn
    • Neu

Korn schrieb:

• When it comes to game performance, with some of the recent changes that we made, we are comfortable that we can support 750 players in a single city. We do not expect Caerleon to go beyond that, if it does, we have contingency plans that we can execute.

Challenge accepted :P .
      BTW @Korn a "Nefarious" or "Dreaded" character will be able to leave Caerleon into Red Zone?
      Comprar Albion -> https://albiononline.com/?ref=TPKQVSAVUH