what goes into deciding where to put your island / guild island?

• what goes into deciding where to put your island / guild island?

is there a downside to buying an island in the main pve cities? is there a reason you'd want to buy an island near a pvp city?

it feels like it would be harder to get stuff to your island since sometimes you'd get ganked. but then you can sell your island stuff at the pvp city, and the prices might be higher? am i wrong or is there something else i'm missing?
  • I would wait until you've found a solid guild before purchasing an island. Your island should be in the nearest major city to your guild. In this beta I had to destroy a level three island and move it when I joined a different guild.

Aside from that you should look at what your gathering is. Some cities are near more ore and some more wood, etc. It also depends on how busy of a cit you want to be in. Thetford is different than Fort Sterling.
  • bicuspid wrote:

can you go into more detail on the pros and cons for "how busy" a city is?

also how do you know which city is the most busy?
    In terms of pros and cons;

Pros: Fairly stable market (market = Auction House), always random people to party up with and go dungeon diving, usually better chances at finding a strong guild, better stocked market.

Cons: fairly stable market (harder for people to take advantage of unusually low material costs and sell them back for profit.), Often times with so many people you cannot dungeon dive without running into people, Solo play in general is harder as resources are more often taken & mobs are more often already killed.

Fort Sterling is considered the busiest city (regularly has 80-120 people in it pretty much around the clock).
    This means that the market is the most stable in terms of prices of all resources and manufactured goods.
    Most other markets (at least in the royal continent) have drastically differing values. Thetford stone is usually 200-300 more, And Martlock cotton is usually 150-250 more than Fort Sterling, ETC.

Most of the time the towns on the Royal Islands that are busy is related to how close to a black zone harbor they are. As many of the top guilds live in black zones, but they buy items from the Royal continent as the cost is usually cheaper.
    Lord of Snacks!
    Ign: SwoopWoop
  • bicuspid wrote:

can you go into more detail on the pros and cons for "how busy" a city is?

also how do you know which city is the most busy?
    I used to be based on Thetford and I would purchase resources cheap in the evening and sell them in the morning or early afternoon for 20-30% more. Since moving to Fort Sterling almost two months ago the auction house is too stable throughout 24/7 so it's harder to find deals. But, at the same time if you post items for sale you know the prices are stable.
  • prices could be higher on that pvp city, but the same time you have way less customers, as everyone will buy in the pve city - more offers better prices, also you might want to buy some mats yourself so it would be better to have an island at those low price cities

im pretty sure, that there are some guilds that actually can live really good in pvp cities, but as a single person...i dont know
    1v1 me csgo