Tank Repair Costs

• Tank Repair Costs

Yeah this is a QQ thread.

I've been tanking this beta and am a bit concerned with the repair costs. When I run an expedition or dungeon, unless i never get knocked down, my repair costs sometimes exceed the silver I earned. Do I just need to get better? Does anyone tip their tanks? Do some guilds subsidize their tanks repair costs?

Could Albion adjust the equipment wear modifier somehow so tanks aren't at such a disadvantage?
  • Stupid tip, but it worked for me.

When you die too much in expedition remove threat generation abilities or just tank one target, this will split damage between your team mate reducing your chance to die, it is kind of mandatory when there is a nature staff healing with low gear since he mainly got hot and aoe heals so better split damage amongs team members than die alone.

Good tank are not rewarded in this game, bad ones are since PvE is too easy, any class can tank a mob for a while without dying in 5 man dungeon ( with the exception of a few mob in t5 expedition ).

Repair cost always used to be that high for tanks since receiving damage harm your gear a lot ( i dont think plate cost more than cloth in repair, probably only item value matters for that ), but without a good tank you couldn t complete a dungeon in previous beta, so you better had a good one.
  • Well if this is the case, then i think devs should check this out. It might turn fast to situation where tanks are unwilling to run expeditions anymore if incoming will be always negative.

Well i havent even put notice these repair costs versus incomes, but i am interested to test this out.

It might be easy in expeditions give tanks' gears more durability, but how this balancing would work in open world dungeon? Because there the group size can be 1+ and there who will be considered as tank? There can be lots of different gear variations..
  • As a tank , I agree. Theres times where im spending 12k+on repairs, and Id gain around 10k-15k and some even with the slight profit, doesn't feel worth. Only time I make a huge profit is if I have 3+ healers and do not die. Im the type to try to get all agro so I take a lot of damage quite a bit.
  • You should normally not die as tank in an expedition (especially T6). If you do not die repair costs are fairly minimal. If you are paired with idiot DPS pulling random mobs for no reason expecting you to save them just let them die. As a tank you should also ensure you are keeping the mobs aoe away from the rest of your team so the healer can focus you and not have to worry about group healing from unnecessary damage to others.
  • So after running a few t4 expeditions and keeping track of silver and repair costs it broke down like this:

Average silver 9k

Repair with no deaths 3k
    Repair with a few deaths 6k

Still profitable? Yes, but even best case paying 30% of your gross silver in repair costs doesn't seem altogether fair.

Suggestion: If a person is using a "tanky" low DPS weapon and 2/3 armor pieces are plate then the gear damage should be reduced. I'll make a separate post in suggestion forum.
  • Teech wrote:

So after running a few t4 expeditions and keeping track of silver and repair costs it broke down like this:

Average silver 9k

Repair with no deaths 3k
    Repair with a few deaths 6k

Still profitable? Yes, but even best case paying 30% of your gross silver in repair costs doesn't seem altogether fair.

Suggestion: If a person is using a "tanky" low DPS weapon and 2/3 armor pieces are plate then the gear damage should be reduced. I'll make a separate post in suggestion forum.
    Before starting an expedition, leave your Bag, Horse, and even your Cape in your bank.

Having them on and dying will give them a durability loss that you have to repair, when in reality while inside the expedition none of them give you any real benefit. if you want to bring the cape because it gives CC resist or a low energy regen, ok ... but definitely leave the horse and bag off your char. Also make sure you don't have any tools or other equipment in your inventory.
  • They do need to address this.

Here are my suggestions

1. Remove all damage taken to horses and bags. People just dump them in the bank so they don't need to take damage.
    2. Have the other items take only half of the durability hit per getting knocked down.

That would remove a lot of the repair bill sting.
  • I am not taking in bags or a horse. I am taking in a set of DPS gear because on multiple occasions I've been queued as tank and when I get in the dungeon there is another person in tank gear that starts tanking. If their gear is better I switch to dps. Fixing this would help.
  • Its not just about if its profitalbe or not. The problem as i see it is: Why should a tank always have to pay more for repairs? This aint just in PvE. Tanks are frontline in any aspects of fighting and takes alot of beating. Meanwhile a DPS can happily do some damage and get a low repair cost because he wasnt attacked.

Why should a dungeon-, expedition- or PvP run be more profitable for DPS and healers?
    "A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad"
    - Shigeru Miyamoto
  • Endymion wrote:

Another way to think about though, tanks are the last to be targeted by most PvP teams, meaning they are the least likely to die, which is where most durability loss comes from. I'm willing to bet the repair/replacement costs are much higher for healers than other classes.
    Tanks are the first to die when your backline gets scared and run while you as a tank are in the middle of their grp expecting heals.

However that is irellevant, cuz if you die in pvp you dont have any gear to repair.

Edit: I dont find this anywhere close to gamebreaking. Its just a litte unfair. I dont care that much doe.
    "A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad"
    - Shigeru Miyamoto