I so want to play at release, but ...

• I so want to play at release, but ...

During this beta I'm reminded why I stopped playing in the last beta. A series of disappointments makes this game so tempting, so almost great, but then I play it and it just falls terribly flat. It doesn't have to be that way, it could change, but I honestly don't understand some of the decisions that have been made.

Farming on Private Islands
    This is, to me, one of the most interesting, compelling and fun aspects of the gameplay. I enjoy the crafting model overall, but the idea of growing crops and livestock and turning them into food is just plain fun for me and for a lot of others and I've been utterly jazzed at how dependent the player economy is on food supply. Finally, a game that gets the basic mechanics right, makes them fun, and provides built-in demand and huge incentives to crafters to produce without competition from the NPC world. So every evening I go to my farms, harvest my crops, tend to my animals, and then ... I wait another 22 hours. For carrots, for corn, for geese, for cows. Everything a farmer does is on this same maddening 22 hour timer. Even a broken clock is right 2 times a day, but I get to have my fun only once a day.

Now, I understand there is a rationale behind this annoying decision and it has to do with bots. The dev team has explicitly stated that a one hour timer on a crop, for example, would exacerbate the bot problem and upset the gap they are trying to close between the hardcore and the casuals. They don't explain how a 22 hours timer is any different from a programmable bot standpoint, or why they feel they need to make the game way less fun for all players instead of pursuing more traditional enforcement tactics. So all of us paying customers and players, the audience for the game, we have to suffer because SI haven't figured out how to deal with bots in their game.

Dungeons
    In the last beta, dungeons were bigger, had more mini-bosses, and were at least slightly more interesting. They were at least big enough so that you could count on re-spawns at the other end of the dungeon to keep you with something to fight amidst the heated competition for mobs in these open world dungeons. But now they are smaller, have fewer mobs, and -- most importantly -- they are crushingly boring. Repetitive, predictable, crowded and just plain ugly. Why is such a staple of the PvE world given such short shrift? Why are dungeon crawlers such 2nd class citizens? And Expeditions looked like a great opportunity for more diversity and safe dungeon crawling, but then my wife and I discovered that we cannot do solo Expeditions together, and we can't do group ones without a full pick-up group. We can enter "solo dungeons" together as a duo, but we can't do solo Expeditions together. So co-op duo PvE is limited to the ... "dungeons".

PvP
    As is often said, "This is a PvP game". I'm not a bigtime PvP'er, but I do enjoy it enough to be willing to play in a game that has PvP as a core component. I even like the tension associated with full loot, it's truly exciting. But once again, we have a game developer that tries to be all things to all people, promising full loot PvP action as well as compelling PvE content, and then struggling to make them both fit together, only to wind up leaving both camps unhappy. The more compelling the PvE content is, the less opportunity there is for PvPers who seek non-consensual ganking targets and complain that Expeditions are keeping their targets away. And at the same time, PvE players, like me, who are highly attracted to the crafting side of the game, have this huge Outlands barrier stuck between them and the high end resources, forcing me to either join a guild and spend all day listening to 16 years olds in Discord telling fart jokes, or spending considerable time traveling long distances only to be able to haul minute amounts of high end resources that are required in large doses in order to progress. And in the process I wind up in many non-consensual PvP scenarios that I don't choose or seek. Who winds up happy in this scenario? Anyone?

Albion Online could be such a great game. The gathering and crafting mechanics, and how the Destiny tree lays them out, is deep and compelling and fun as hell. The PvP is exciting. The idea of Hellgates is awesome in concept. But in so many places the execution is flawed and, ultimately, disappointing.

I've been agonizing over whether to take vacation time for July 17 or in June for the launch of version 3.0 of one of my other favorite games. I would prefer Albion Online, but if things stay as they are now, it's going to be an easy decision. I'm not giving up, that's why I'm spending this time to write this wall of text. I want the devs to know that there are at least two players (me and my wife) who are rooting hard for this game, but are frustrated as hell at the current state of things.
    "Men do not stop playing because they grow old. They grow old because they stop playing". - Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • your 2 invested dude.... its a game, like EQ, DAoC, this game. Play and enjoy till its not fun any more.

But honestly if you have to struggle for a reason to play, move on, games not for you.

No one needs to be convinced to play or not, if you have to think about if you want to play...then u dont.

Humans do what they want....if you have to think about it, you dont want it
    Blame the smart phone for typo's.
  • Kaosfury wrote:

your 2 invested dude.... its a game, like EQ, DAoC, this game. Play and enjoy till its not fun any more.

But honestly if you have to struggle for a reason to play, move on, games not for you.

No one needs to be convinced to play or not, if you have to think about if you want to play...then u dont.

Humans do what they want....if you have to think about it, you dont want it
    I think this answer is too shallow for such a long post. You simply covered that if you don't like it don't play it. But what OP is saying is that he loves the game just isn't happy with certain models.

Don't see how the comment was constructive.
    Just some friendly banter.
  • and yours was.... you replied with a useless post about my useless post?

Irony is tasty....and you brought what pearl of wisdom?

In his first sentence he says...ive played every beta.

Answer.....thrn you know the name of the game.... you knew the direction...and if your not happy, games not for you.

Im certainly not entertaining his wall of text about making the game great again comming from a dude who cant make a adult decision.

I know... game person problems. Lol
    Blame the smart phone for typo's.
  • Kaosfury wrote:

and yours was.... you replied with a useless post about my useless post?

Irony is tasty....and you brought what pearl of wisdom?

In his first sentence he says...ive played every beta.

Answer.....thrn you know the name of the game.... you knew the direction...and if your not happy, games not for you.

Im certainly not entertaining his wall of text about making the game great again comming from a dude who cant make a adult decision.

I know... game person problems. Lol
    His post responded that yours was meaningless and simple for such a post. Don't like it don't play it. He likes it but wants things to change. We all do. You're just being a naysayer and allowing SBI to entertain us with these "neat" infographics to keep us interested and show us its a good game and everythings going well. While on the flip-side a lot of longstanding problems are just now, if that, being fixed. Some problems are just totally avoided at all costs or just not spoken of by the devs and we are just not given reasons why.

You do what you want Kaos. Obviously you're fine with whatever direction this game goes. OP wants the game to actually work and have a future though. As do I.

He knows the direction the games been. Which means he knows that it's in a somewhat downwards spiral. Rainbow road I suppose. Not sure where it's going but it isn't entirely up. Mostly down.

Wanderlust wrote:

And in the process I wind up in many non-consensual PvP scenarios that I don't choose or seek. Who winds up happy in this scenario? Anyone?
    You said before that the person that wanted this was the people looking for ganks. So I'm assuming the PvPers are happy with this scenario. No?

The game itself is doing well I believe. It just needs balancing for the most part. A whole lot of it. A whole whole of it.
  • Kaosfury wrote:

It's not like he was just saying "this game sucks ass refund please".

He was offering solutions to "problems" that he believes exists within the game.

I think it's naive to brush someone aside who is trying to spark a conversation that could benefit this game.
    Just some friendly banter.
  • Killmore wrote:

Kaosfury wrote:

It's not like he was just saying "this game sucks ass refund please".
    He was offering solutions to "problems" that he believes exists within the game.

I think it's naive to brush someone aside who is trying to spark a conversation that could benefit this game.
    well said. Its always nice to see when someone is actually giving contructive feedback and making suggestions to make the game better. So it is always a pleasure to give some comments to post like @Wanderlust here wrote. It is quite common, that people are just ranting or yelling about changes, but not giving any reasonable solution. That said, to OP.

Farming. There has been some discussions about farming lately amd i dont know if you have seen those. There people have suggested some changes to farming/cooking so it would be closer what crafting is atm. I agree with you that only farming crops is too shortly done, but when combining it to cooking gives at least little bit more to do. I personally enjoy farming as side activity, but i understan if people wants it to be more like career choise. Anyway.. i would also like to see some changes and more depth might be right words. Making mastery levels more meaningful, adding quality (like in crafting), or maybe implementing farming gear would help a lot. I just hope devs have something in their sleeves.

Dungeons. I am pretty sure that most of the players agrees with you with this dungeon matter. I hope we will see more variations in future so those wont feel so repeatable. I know that there will be more expeditions and i presume there will be more open world dungeons as well. Dungeons are easy to add or change after release, so i would not be so worried about this part. What will be the quality is the big question and i hope we will see totally new and unique layouts with lorewise bosses.. devs ;) ;)

PvP/PvE. Although Albion is PvP oriented game, it still needs immersive and meaningful PvE side. Good PvE automatically creates PvP action, which is very important to remember. Devs have already add some open world bosses which is very nice. I hope they implement something more so people will go out and explore open world. I also hope they make some maps more unique with landmarks for example.

I dont want to say what you guys should do, but i suggest you to stick with the game. Start the game as duo and maybe later check if you find guild which share your goals. If with the this game wont improve parts you want and it starts feel to loose attraction then just let it go and look something else. Dont take pressure about is this the chosen one, just enjoy.. Thats kind of my plan. :) I really like Albions concept and i also see there some flaws, but i am still excited to see the released version of this game. :thumbup:
  • Fluxx wrote:

"but then my wife and I discovered that we cannot do solo Expeditions together"

this is epic..

you discovered this? the who SOLO part didnt give you a hint?
    Apparently you haven't noticed that two people can do a SOLO dungeon together. I laid this out in my original post, it was that contrast that was surprising.
    "Men do not stop playing because they grow old. They grow old because they stop playing". - Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • Look, I'm not "invested" in anything. I see a good game, I play it. If I don't like anything about it, I don't play it. But if I see something that looks damned promising but has significant flaws that disappoint, I chirp up. Last time I checked, that was kind of the point of game forum posts, eh?
  • I think I'm the only player in all of Albion Online who has never played Runescape. I keep hearing about it, however. Is it a viable alternative to AO that doesn't have the flaws I've mentioned above?
  • Don't listen to posts like Kaosfury. It's perfectly fine to offer constructive criticism and that's exactly why this beta period exists.

I am 100% in your boat. I adore the crafting centered economy because it is so unlike every other game out there where everyone single person can craft everything and the economy is completely artificial. Having said that, I'm not a huge PvP person but I do enjoy it every now and then. I want to see this game do well and I want to see it offer things for both PvE and PvP players. I think NPC dropping items is a huge step forward to that though because it will make PvE worth doing. But you're right about getting locked to higher tiered crafting due to it being a 100% PvP area. That needs to change somehow.
  • Yeah, the addition of crafted loot drops through the black market is really intriguing. I'm sticking around long enough to test that and see how that affects the game. But I really wish they'd change the growth timers for farming, as that's really my favorite activity.

BTW, I took a look at Runescape 3. Yuk, what a clunky movement system. I tried playing it for a few days and just gave up, it was just too primitive and the learning curve was like horrendous for a complete noob. I'll stick with AO for now.
  • I share you sentiments regarding farming.

Right now I have over 700 learning points sitting around doing nothing because they can't be spent to advance farming.

The change has removed an entire playstyle from the game.

I'm also waiting for release, but if farming doesn't change in some meaningful way, I'm going to skip out for sure.
  • Yes, those of us who play this game primarily for the field farming (yes, we really exist) have all these extra LP. Wish I could bottle them up and sell them to others ...
  • Yes, but look at Player unknown Battlegrounds. That game is repetitive and its unoptimized and has only been in early access for about a month.

I already have 80 hours in it, which is about the same time I put into Albion back in Beta 1. and I'm no where near being tired of it yet. But with Albion It lasts maybe 50 hours or so before it starts get sour for me. 50 hours in a sandbox MMO is severely bad. There isn't really any incentive and the game doesn't have mechanics that introduce things happening to make the game feel like its progressing towards something. Theres no direct way to steal things, or to fully exploit. Everything is very systematic for a sandbox game, theres hardly any player driven things going on besides some market prices.
  • I think a good easy fix for farming would to be make it so that you have varied times on the crops. For example you can have carrots that can be planted that grow in 4 hours 12 hours or 22 hours. (im sure there are better time intervals than this but its just an idea). Then if your someone who plays 12 hours a day you can plant 3 times the 4 hour crops which would give a higher yield per hour than the 12 or 22 hours crops and plant 12 hours crops when you go to bed. This would allow someone who wants to be a dedicated farmer to progress faster and spend more time farming while someone who is doing mass amounts of farms for a guild maybe could still just do the 22 hour farms.

This would allow both to viable but the farmer who spends more time and effort would progress maybe 20% faster with 20% more yield. It wouldnt change anything for the destiny board and it could easily shown on the icons by liek 1 carrot 2 carrot or 3 carrots. All the crops could be done this way while the horses etc can stay 22 hours(i think they are 22?? idk i havent farmed this beta). Regardless they could play with the idea but it would allow for Albion to support a full time farmer and someone that truely enjoys farming but also make it so you dont have to farm for life just to keep your guild going!

would like to hear some other peoples feedback. Im sure there is ways to improve upon this but I always thought they make things so dumbed down constantly that basically all you can do is pvp pve or gather. They need more content and they need to make it so truely anyone can play and do whatever they want. This is a sandbox game. If you want to be a full time farmer then boom now you can. Cause right now farming is a side job.
  • The developers have commented negatively on lowering the 22 hour timer for crops on the grounds that it would make the botting problem worse. I haven't seen them explain this assertion, but I assume they have some kind of reasoning to support it. Still, I think it's lousy that they make their players pay for a problem that they can't solve otherwise.