Suggestions for increasing the longevity of the game

  • ThatWhichHasNoLife wrote:

    This game was initially supposed to be f2p and achieved a lot of word-of-mouth attention on that basis. Then it became B2P w/ subscription and that's a big leap from f2p.
    This isnt an accurate description of what the game was/is, and is misleading.

    When the game was advertised as F2P all that meant was no charge to buy, no subscription, and an optional premium that could be bought with in game silver.

    Now the game is B2P, it has to be purchased, no subscription, and an optional premium that could be bought with in game silver.

    The one and only thing that has changed is the game has to be purchased from the outset. Thats it.
    Midgard
    T8 Fibre, Ore, Hide, Wood & Stone Gatherer
    T8 Gathering Gear Crafter
    T8 Bags & Capes Crafter
  • Captainrussia wrote:

    ntall1 wrote:

    What I found was a reputation system that pretty much prevents pvp before t6, and the grind to t6 was mindnumbingly boring with no pvp along the way that I ended up finding another game to play. You are absolutely right when you say that players reach t6 and enter high stakes pvp with little to no pvp experience, the ones that make it to t6 before quiting due to extreme boredom, that is.

    The reputation system is what kills it for me. Had I known it was in the game I would not have spent the 30$ buy in price. Based on all the video's online, I was under the impression that this game offered open world pvp in a sandbox environment, yet after buying the game, that is not what I found. What I found was a farming simulator with consensual pvp for the first half of the game, then mindless zerg pvp for the latter half.
    The PVP system is pretty much identical to EVE Online... (with a few minor exceptions, like you can't suicide gank in blue zones, and guards dont spawn on top of you in yellows)
    There is plenty of PVP before t6 (I cant even wear t6, and if you check my killboards - I had plenty of PVP at t4 and t5).

    Maybe you just didn't try hard enough to "get into the game" and/or did not try enough of various zones (red/black for PVP + HellGates).

    I am sorry that this was your experience - and maybe you will learn something from this experience (like thinking outside the box) - as this is definitely a huge PVP game.




    "What I found was a farming simulator with consensual pvp for the first half of the game, then mindless zerg pvp for the latter half."


    (hint: non-consensual PVP is extremely rare to find in ANY video game these days. You are basically talking about "ganking". Even CounterStike and Quake style FPS's are all "consensual" - you consent when you boot up the game. In EVE solo PVP takes tremendous skill - only the best players can pull it off, and make it "non-consentual". Same story in Albion - if you want to be a good "solo PK" - you need to spend at least a few months playing and "profiling" the game, various systems (and character builds), various zones and various player populations to know when and how to PVP under your own rules. You clearly haven't played long enough to understand or experiment with any of these concepts)
    What I learned is, and I've learned this before, not to impulsively buy a 30$ game when all the information about it online is either outdated or sponsored content. All the video's that exists of the game from the current update are all sponsored content, and all the video's from the past show a game that seems much more enjoyable to play(from a pvp perspective, anyway).

    My mistake...
  • Arkaedun wrote:

    Literally just throwing in my 2 cents regarding the clickbait title and the success of the game.

    From a business perspective, do you really believe the game will last only 1 year because of these issues you have? It will be on the App Store and on Google Play - we are talking a market of over 1 billion potential gamers. Yes, gamers, not casual phone users.

    The minute they decided to bring the game over to mobile, they secured a good few years of profitability and a massive playerbase. Let's not even talk about the fact that apart from something like Lineage 2 Revolution (which is more WOW than Eve), Albion will be one of, if not the ONLY MMO that is cross-platform to mobile.

    If you are a millenial gamer (that is, you are between around 25 and 40) there is a conception that "mobile gaming sucks" / "not real gaming". I'm a millenial. My advice to you is to start waking up fast, your gaming world is changing. Mobile is not a gimmick, it is absolutely the future of gaming. Within 10 years or less we will see pc and console equivalent processing power in mobile devices, and already now we are seeing mobile docking into displays (Nintendo Switch / Galaxy S8 Dock for Keyboard and Mouse) (Actually... I now feel I should get an S8 for that for Albion...hmmm...)

    My comments here are solely based on the long term profitability and longevity of the game from a business perspective. I have not played the game enough to comment on game systems in-depth.
    Consoles suck and so does mobile... Could mobile replace pc someday? sure. But that day is not today, and will most likely not be in 10 years... I see it being more widely used, but not replacing pc. And yes many will buy it to play on their phones, but it will not be as widely used as you'd like.. I am hopeful. mobile users should be easier ganking :) So I welcome them... muhhahahahaha...

    Also Albion will be fair gone in 10 years, xD
    www.UnitedWorldGamers.org
    https://www.twitch.tv/donaramu Want gold?
    https://www.youtube.com/UwGDonaramu
    UwG is Recruiting Mature & Friendly Gamers!
  • Games will be used more and more with mobiles and that trend is growing really fast. Still it dont see it replacing pc or console complete, it just comes as an option to the side. I am glad Albion has that option, because i use my phone as secondary platform. Because of that small screen its usually quite hard to hit inventory, setting buttons etc. , but skills goes much better. But i am not using mobile to PvP, because it will most certainly lead to death. I have tried. :D But farming, crafting, trading, traveling, solo dungeons and gathering goes quite well. Even gathering in blackzones is fine or at least decent imo. It just nice to play sometimes from corner of couch and chill..
  • Thomas9 wrote:

    Games will be used more and more with mobiles and that trend is growing really fast. Still it dont see it replacing pc or console complete, it just comes as an option to the side. I am glad Albion has that option, because i use my phone as secondary platform. Because of that small screen its usually quite hard to hit inventory, setting buttons etc. , but skills goes much better. But i am not using mobile to PvP, because it will most certainly lead to death. I have tried. :D But farming, crafting, trading, traveling, solo dungeons and gathering goes quite well. Even gathering in blackzones is fine or at least decent imo. It just nice to play sometimes from corner of couch and chill..
    I wonder how many people are playing this game primarily because it can be played on mobile and/or Linux, unlike most MMOs?

    I got the game because it has a Linux client (and because it looked like a good game).

    The post was edited 1 time, last by Zotar ().

  • Zotar wrote:

    Thomas9 wrote:

    Games will be used more and more with mobiles and that trend is growing really fast. Still it dont see it replacing pc or console complete, it just comes as an option to the side. I am glad Albion has that option, because i use my phone as secondary platform. Because of that small screen its usually quite hard to hit inventory, setting buttons etc. , but skills goes much better. But i am not using mobile to PvP, because it will most certainly lead to death. I have tried. :D But farming, crafting, trading, traveling, solo dungeons and gathering goes quite well. Even gathering in blackzones is fine or at least decent imo. It just nice to play sometimes from corner of couch and chill..
    I wonder how many people are playing this game primarily because it can be played on mobile and/or Linux, unlike most MMOs?
    Really good question and maybe devs are best to give answer that, i am actually interested too. Some will play as primary for sure and some because there is that option to use mobile as back up. But how many is good question? To me it is a little bonus to have this mobile option and it was one part of purchase desicision.
  • Prediction: If they launch with the same fame progression speed that exists in beta this game will have a serious drop in player population around the 4-5 month mark. Casual players will hit T7/8 in about 5-6 months, and the hardcore players will hit T7/8 around the 3 month mark. After a month of nonstop PvPing the hardcore players will become bored and leave. Unless the game brings in more events people will leave for other games.
  • Zotar wrote:

    Thomas9 wrote:

    Games will be used more and more with mobiles and that trend is growing really fast. Still it dont see it replacing pc or console complete, it just comes as an option to the side. I am glad Albion has that option, because i use my phone as secondary platform. Because of that small screen its usually quite hard to hit inventory, setting buttons etc. , but skills goes much better. But i am not using mobile to PvP, because it will most certainly lead to death. I have tried. :D But farming, crafting, trading, traveling, solo dungeons and gathering goes quite well. Even gathering in blackzones is fine or at least decent imo. It just nice to play sometimes from corner of couch and chill..
    I wonder how many people are playing this game primarily because it can be played on mobile and/or Linux, unlike most MMOs?
    Funny you ask this. I am. The only reason I started following Albion is because it's a cross platform MMO. I play on my PC at work, on my MacBook at home and at launch I'll be able to play on my iPad. However, given the style of game play I only plan on gathering and crafting on a tablet. But, it does create a huge advantage. Have 20-30 minutes? Gather, tend to your farm, check the AH...etc. Mobile is where it's at now a days. Desktop and console games generate considerably less revenue versus mobile games.
  • Arkaedun wrote:

    Literally just throwing in my 2 cents regarding the clickbait title and the success of the game.

    From a business perspective, do you really believe the game will last only 1 year because of these issues you have? It will be on the App Store and on Google Play - we are talking a market of over 1 billion potential gamers. Yes, gamers, not casual phone users.

    The minute they decided to bring the game over to mobile, they secured a good few years of profitability and a massive playerbase. Let's not even talk about the fact that apart from something like Lineage 2 Revolution (which is more WOW than Eve), Albion will be one of, if not the ONLY MMO that is cross-platform to mobile.

    If you are a millenial gamer (that is, you are between around 25 and 40) there is a conception that "mobile gaming sucks" / "not real gaming". I'm a millenial. My advice to you is to start waking up fast, your gaming world is changing. Mobile is not a gimmick, it is absolutely the future of gaming. Within 10 years or less we will see pc and console equivalent processing power in mobile devices, and already now we are seeing mobile docking into displays (Nintendo Switch / Galaxy S8 Dock for Keyboard and Mouse) (Actually... I now feel I should get an S8 for that for Albion...hmmm...)

    My comments here are solely based on the long term profitability and longevity of the game from a business perspective. I have not played the game enough to comment on game systems in-depth.

    my S8 is being delivered today, the dock I'll be waiting on a few months, but do intend on getting it.

    ntall1 wrote:

    Captainrussia wrote:

    ntall1 wrote:

    What I found was a reputation system that pretty much prevents pvp before t6, and the grind to t6 was mindnumbingly boring with no pvp along the way that I ended up finding another game to play. You are absolutely right when you say that players reach t6 and enter high stakes pvp with little to no pvp experience, the ones that make it to t6 before quiting due to extreme boredom, that is.

    The reputation system is what kills it for me. Had I known it was in the game I would not have spent the 30$ buy in price. Based on all the video's online, I was under the impression that this game offered open world pvp in a sandbox environment, yet after buying the game, that is not what I found. What I found was a farming simulator with consensual pvp for the first half of the game, then mindless zerg pvp for the latter half.
    The PVP system is pretty much identical to EVE Online... (with a few minor exceptions, like you can't suicide gank in blue zones, and guards dont spawn on top of you in yellows)There is plenty of PVP before t6 (I cant even wear t6, and if you check my killboards - I had plenty of PVP at t4 and t5).

    Maybe you just didn't try hard enough to "get into the game" and/or did not try enough of various zones (red/black for PVP + HellGates).

    I am sorry that this was your experience - and maybe you will learn something from this experience (like thinking outside the box) - as this is definitely a huge PVP game.




    "What I found was a farming simulator with consensual pvp for the first half of the game, then mindless zerg pvp for the latter half."


    (hint: non-consensual PVP is extremely rare to find in ANY video game these days. You are basically talking about "ganking". Even CounterStike and Quake style FPS's are all "consensual" - you consent when you boot up the game. In EVE solo PVP takes tremendous skill - only the best players can pull it off, and make it "non-consentual". Same story in Albion - if you want to be a good "solo PK" - you need to spend at least a few months playing and "profiling" the game, various systems (and character builds), various zones and various player populations to know when and how to PVP under your own rules. You clearly haven't played long enough to understand or experiment with any of these concepts)
    What I learned is, and I've learned this before, not to impulsively buy a 30$ game when all the information about it online is either outdated or sponsored content. All the video's that exists of the game from the current update are all sponsored content, and all the video's from the past show a game that seems much more enjoyable to play(from a pvp perspective, anyway).
    My mistake...
    Yes, I didn't buy in last spring/summer because many websites linked were down, or the content was outdated, or the website data had a disclaimer at the top that it was no longer being updated until launch due to the frequent changes (which one should expect from a game in alpha/beta... and take into consideration when you start a website to follow such a game that early in development)

    Zotar wrote:

    Thomas9 wrote:

    Games will be used more and more with mobiles and that trend is growing really fast. Still it dont see it replacing pc or console complete, it just comes as an option to the side. I am glad Albion has that option, because i use my phone as secondary platform. Because of that small screen its usually quite hard to hit inventory, setting buttons etc. , but skills goes much better. But i am not using mobile to PvP, because it will most certainly lead to death. I have tried. :D But farming, crafting, trading, traveling, solo dungeons and gathering goes quite well. Even gathering in blackzones is fine or at least decent imo. It just nice to play sometimes from corner of couch and chill..
    I wonder how many people are playing this game primarily because it can be played on mobile and/or Linux, unlike most MMOs?
    I got the game because it has a Linux client (and because it looked like a good game).
    I am only playing because it supports both linux and Android (I might have started playing simply for the linux client though) as I was deciding whether or not to reimage my laptop off linux and on windows 8 so I could play the MMO I am already heavily invested in without being tethered to my desk all the time (3-6 hours per day 5+ days per week)
  • Arkaedun wrote:

    Literally just throwing in my 2 cents regarding the clickbait title and the success of the game.

    From a business perspective, do you really believe the game will last only 1 year because of these issues you have? It will be on the App Store and on Google Play - we are talking a market of over 1 billion potential gamers. Yes, gamers, not casual phone users.

    The minute they decided to bring the game over to mobile, they secured a good few years of profitability and a massive playerbase. Let's not even talk about the fact that apart from something like Lineage 2 Revolution (which is more WOW than Eve), Albion will be one of, if not the ONLY MMO that is cross-platform to mobile.

    If you are a millenial gamer (that is, you are between around 25 and 40) there is a conception that "mobile gaming sucks" / "not real gaming". I'm a millenial. My advice to you is to start waking up fast, your gaming world is changing. Mobile is not a gimmick, it is absolutely the future of gaming. Within 10 years or less we will see pc and console equivalent processing power in mobile devices, and already now we are seeing mobile docking into displays (Nintendo Switch / Galaxy S8 Dock for Keyboard and Mouse) (Actually... I now feel I should get an S8 for that for Albion...hmmm...)

    My comments here are solely based on the long term profitability and longevity of the game from a business perspective. I have not played the game enough to comment on game systems in-depth.
    HAHA no. Just because someone puts a game on the app stores does NOT guarantee success, especially if the game isn't F2P. Also, there aren't 1 billion potential gamers for a game like this, even Candy Crush only has about 450M players. I'm not saying it will fail, but please don't make wild statements like this that are not grounded in any reality.