Logging in for the first time today...

• Logging in for the first time today...

I've read a few beginner guides, and a few on making money and getting settled. I've joined a great guild that I plan to bug a lot :)

With that being said, I am looking to be a mage (frost or fire). What is the best direction in terms of gear/destiny wheel I should go in that endeavor.

Thanks in advance for serious responses.
    IGN: KiteKiteKite
  • Hey man,
    I'm sure u wont get alot of responses on the forum right away due to all the changes in gear with galahad(balancing/remvong of gear specific spells). typically for mage, you want to wear cloth for maximum +damage% due to your long range attacks. As for gear its up to you how you want to go, mismatch gear until you have the skills you like. Typically youll be pvp focused at end game so your final build should focus on that. As for the destiny board, end game youll be expected to craft you own gear (due to loosing it via pvp/outlands) so focus on the garhering skills associated with crafting cloth. Other than that its completely up to you how you want to explore albion, i havent had much experience with galahad yet so i cant give you specifics.
  • Shmough wrote:

Hey man,
    I'm sure u wont get alot of responses on the forum right away due to all the changes in gear with galahad(balancing/remvong of gear specific spells). typically for mage, you want to wear cloth for maximum +damage% due to your long range attacks. As for gear its up to you how you want to go, mismatch gear until you have the skills you like. Typically youll be pvp focused at end game so your final build should focus on that. As for the destiny board, end game youll be expected to craft you own gear (due to loosing it via pvp/outlands) so focus on the garhering skills associated with crafting cloth. Other than that its completely up to you how you want to explore albion, i havent had much experience with galahad yet so i cant give you specifics.
    Thanks for the advice/response. I've managed to link up with a very helpful guild that is steering me in the right direction. Gave me pretty much same advice.
  • With mages, ice block on one of the helmets is always a nice choice. cleric boots for blink or run is always good for boots. Chest can be up to you. I always like speed caster if you plan to run with groups because of the burst potential with it. Frost will obviously be more cc/control. While fire has little to no cc aside from firewall which can be OP, but it does more upfront and AOE damage pressure. My advice though it play what you want and enjoy. You may pick "the best" weapon, but if you don't enjoy it you will end up switching anyways. good luck :)
  • Redbowl wrote:

With mages, ice block on one of the helmets is always a nice choice. cleric boots for blink or run is always good for boots. Chest can be up to you. I always like speed caster if you plan to run with groups because of the burst potential with it. Frost will obviously be more cc/control. While fire has little to no cc aside from firewall which can be OP, but it does more upfront and AOE damage pressure. My advice though it play what you want and enjoy. You may pick "the best" weapon, but if you don't enjoy it you will end up switching anyways. good luck :)

Thanks for the response.

General consensus from most people is the cursed staff is definitely the way to go for PvP. What are your thoughts on that?
  • curse staff has flaws in range on many of its skills. also lacks the ability to cc/control the battlefield. It really depends what you want. High damage good aoe pressure?, go fire. Aoe damage/control/forcing enemies to reposition? go frost. Single target burn em down/nuke? go curse. Flaw for me with curse is that you have to stack up the q skill, and if it falls off you have to start back at 0 stacking it up. Where as with fire or frost the q is max damage each time.

Ultimately don't go with "what the general consensus is" go with what you love. Warbow is in a pretty bad state overall at the moment. But I really enjoy it so I am still using it. Problem is you pick what people tell you to go, you get bored or don't like it. Guess what you start from 0 again with a different weapon. Watch videos and find what looks and feels fun to you. then build your armor around the weapon.
  • The other thing I'd point out is that balance will shift around over time, but your destiny board investments won't. If you stick around for the long haul, anything you choose to specialize in is going to have periods where it's stronger and periods where it's weaker. Anything that's particularly good right now is probably on one of its stronger phases, which means it's likely to get relatively weaker as time goes on. This just reinforces what Redbowl is saying: over the long run you're probably better off picking stuff that fits the battlefield role you think you'll enjoy the most, rather than letting your investment decisions be directed by what seems strong right now, because by the time you've got it trained up to a useful level, it may not be so strong any more.

tl;dr Flavor of the Month is usually Nerf of the Month After, so be wary of chasing it :)
  • Conflict is a great guild to look at considering. They have a wide range of players from beginning new players to experienced veterans that are all generally very willing to help/friendly. @Cryon @MournVallas @Anarmacil @Saffiana are a few names you could contact.

Obviously there are other guilds too but you will learn faster from joining a guild that has been in previous tests as they know some of the mistakes to avoid.
  • Monochrome wrote:

The other thing I'd point out is that balance will shift around over time, but your destiny board investments won't. If you stick around for the long haul, anything you choose to specialize in is going to have periods where it's stronger and periods where it's weaker. Anything that's particularly good right now is probably on one of its stronger phases, which means it's likely to get relatively weaker as time goes on. This just reinforces what Redbowl is saying: over the long run you're probably better off picking stuff that fits the battlefield role you think you'll enjoy the most, rather than letting your investment decisions be directed by what seems strong right now, because by the time you've got it trained up to a useful level, it may not be so strong any more.

tl;dr Flavor of the Month is usually Nerf of the Month After, so be wary of chasing it :)
    Thanks for the comments.

This is true in any game, and I appreciate the advice but always end up having some type of "main", regardless of its current power.

I was mostly looking for what is relatively strong now, as the current beta will only last 4 months and I am brand new so need any edge I can get lol :)

But I'll probably end up going fire for the damage, or frost for the damage/control.

Thanks all who replied.