Expeditions First Look: Recruitment of the Dead

• Hi all,

here is some further background information.

The main focus of our PvE rework lies in the open world. This is true to Albion's DNA, and is also what makes Albion's PvE different from most other MMORPGs. In the coming update(s), we will add tons and tons of new open world content, such as
    • world bosses
    • new dungeons, optmized for the open world
    • random mob camps, with rare mob spawns
    • significantly improved drops and loot tables
    • more unique and special drops, such as rare mounts
    • faction rewards
    • faction home bases / raid zones
    Also, we are removing the blue portal dungeons (called gateways). Those were our attempt to combine the freedom and randomness of open world PvE with the stucture and encounter quality of instanced PvE. The issue with purely open world PvE is that it is close to impossible to provide a classical, quality dungen experience with a boss at the end because in an open world setting, there is always the risk that the boss just isn't there, alongside other issues. By removing the blue portals, we could fully focus on creating a great open world PvE and PvP experience.

Expeditions take a side role in our PvE changes. The goal is to provide a quick, steamlined PvE experience, focused on more casual players or on hardcore players who at that moment do not have enough time to get a proper group together to venture into the open world. They also act as a partial replacement for the removed blue portals.

From a risk vs reward perspective, expeditions are very low risk. Hence, the rewards are significantly lower than what you can achieve in the open world, essentially being at the same risk vs reward level as green zone PvE. This also means that they do not create any additional botting risk, as in theory, people could now already be botting in the green zones.

On top of that, with Albion Online being B2P and our strict ban policy for botters, we do not see any significant issue on that front anyways - losing $30 for running a bot that can easily get caught is just not worth it.

All the best,
    Korn
  • Indeed like people said, it looks a bit weird, maybe you didn't explain it very well.

Anyway from my point of view it is a step back from open world interaction, moreover it looks likes a recycling idea, if you don't wont to delete blue portal then don't and improve them but do not make those weird steps back.

However there is some nice idea, like the way you trying to improve npc (factions) interactions.

Will see in the next beta.

ps: Even for a pve player, it sound like 0 fucking risk/challenge, is those dungeons at least are difficult ? Don't we all want to have some fun and challenge, we are not playing a clicker game ?
  • IMAGOODGUY wrote:

Indeed like people said, it looks a bit weird, maybe you didn't explain it very well.

Anyway from my point of view it is a step back from open world interaction, moreover it looks likes a recycling idea, if you don't wont to delete blue portal then don't and improve them but do not make those weird steps back.

However there is some nice idea, like the way you trying to improve npc (factions) interactions.

Will see in the next beta.

ps: Even for a pve player, it sound like 0 fucking risk/challenge, is those dungeons at least are difficult ? Don't we all want to have some fun and challenge, we are not playing a clicker game ?
    Dont expect difficulty in a dungeon they expect to be done in 20-30 minutes and thats by casuals so a semi decent player will most likely cut that down to 15.
  • @Korn may I ask how much fame a solo player can get at the end of 30 mins and a group can get at the end of 30 mins? I think that will be the factor that would change my opinion. Because if the fame is at all relevant to leveling up your gear at a decent pace, then it doesn't matter how much you buff exp in other areas. 0 risk fame = everyone is going to do it.
    Kind Regards,

Blackboa / MannyMoments / HeadmasterBoa

Follow my Stream on Twitch---> twitch.tv/blackboa
  • Similar to gathering gear, which as presented made it sound like it unnecessarily removed emphasis on combat and made multi gathering less ideal, this very much sounds like another great idea gone bad. Though, just like in that case, I'll refrain from passing final judgement until more is known and some hard data is available.

The general idea of having an NPC take you to an instance seems great. It would however be even greater if one actually had to leave the city as to stop perpetuating the Queensmarket type problem.

Moreover, I think the general idea of hellgates already solve this problem space, and it feels a awkward to invent in something new as opposed to expanding on hellgates and perhaps adding tiers to them, solo versus group options, along with more diversity in maps, and even entrances from cities. In the above scenario a player could log and do a solo hellgate that would have the chance of putting him face to face against another player. Lower tiers could use yellow pvp rules, as to prevent the gear loss that seems to be dreaded by players who bought into a full loot game.

I think something like this is infinitely more true to the spirit of the game, while also blending much more naturally into the natural progression we want players to make through the tiers of challenge than creating something new for what appears to be a confusing / zigzag release roadmap and game direction.

One other issue that is bound to happen is that gear attained from these expeditions will end up being used in pvp by whomever comes up with a build that is totally op. Once this happens we will all of the sudden have an influx of players in cities farming pve instances to then do Pvp. This is just wrong on so many levels..

last but not least, and as with the combat video, I'd like to reiterate the request for these announcements to be accompanied by hard data that can help put things into perspective. For the good and the bad you guys have still present in the ranks players who really want to pvp and care deeply about how everything works because we all want to win. Very high level announcements seem to contiously to cause so much unnecessary churn that just seems avoidable.
    @Korn @Bercilak
  • Congratulations! This is amazing. Just remove essences from this and you will make people venture to the open world. Or, if they dont, you will probably tone the essences market up.
    This is a huge thing for people that cant play all day long or are in a small guild that most people are offline all the time.
    If the arenas come as well you will see the player base sky rocket because if you dont have time to risk yourself, you can still have fun.
    And to all people saying this will make the game full of carebears and make all hardcore players to leave the game, here is an essencial info: Not all people have the same ambitions as you. As a sandbox game, they should be able to choose their own path, not you. Do not force people to do what you think it´s cool, because thats not called life, it called whining.
  • Korn wrote:

Expeditions take a side role in our PvE changes. The goal is to provide a quick, steamlined PvE experience, focused on more casual players or on hardcore players who at that moment do not have enough time to get a proper group together to venture into the open world. They also act as a partial replacement for the removed blue portals.

From a risk vs reward perspective, expeditions are very low risk. Hence, the rewards are significantly lower than what you can achieve in the open world, essentially being at the same risk vs reward level as green zone PvE. This also means that they do not create any additional botting risk, as in theory, people could now already be botting in the green zones.

Thats why, right now they have green portal instances up to T8... if 5-10 min to get there is too much than they shouldnt run the game at the first place... its not a pacman :P
    Still it sounds like you guys are not playing the game itself - just test in debug mode... its really getting easier with every patch... and boring :(
  • Hey! People hate portals, but they want PvE. What to do now? I know! Let's remove portals from open world and add them to the cities. Let us also remove cooldown on portal spawn, and if that is not enough - some free artifact gear.
    It pains me to see how you kill any interest for exploration in new players. Why would you craft this amazing world with multiple biomes if noone leaves the cities?
    You want some good, safe PvE expirience for newcomers? You got that covered already: Yellow Zones. Great concept. Introduce new players to the game, ecourage them to explore, without punishing the too much.

The most fun i had in game was when NF left the game and I just kinda got a squad of random people to play yellow gvg zones. We had to farm t5 yellow zone dungeon for the gems and it was FUN because we got some crazy PvP action in there. And there were solo players which gladly joined the massacre for either side.

It's the essence of this game - this feeling that you could be in danger in any part of the world. Yellow Zones ease that up on players. Why would you go any further is beyond me.

Those bullshit mechanics (instanced dungeons) are gonna end up abused by GvG packs for maxed out silver/fame gain, how could you not see that? And even if you manage to somehow balance fame/silver gain (not gonna happen), still this kills the spirit of the game. Why would you kill your own child is far beyond me.

You call this "Expedition", but all that is - a freaking portal to farmland. You want a real expedition? Learn from UO. Treasure maps which reveal a random place on map with some nice loot and strong guards - THAT is PVE. THAT is expedition. That's too hard? Make an NPC give out those "Expeditions", real ones. Like mapping outskirts of the Yellow zones, or even wandering in red ones. Exploring mob camps. Searching for treasure chests. Make it fun, challenging, make new players explore and invest in this world. You can even leave the LFG system for better or worse, no one cares. There. Done.
    I didn't even had to brainstorm this shit. you make your game BORING instead of making it FUN with those updates.
  • World of Casuals Online incoming?

wowhead.com/npc=67572/dungeon-master-vishas

I thought i paid for a MMO Sandbox Hardcore

strange to found similar features than in WoW

You promise us to remove totaly the instancied pve for fix out the waste in pvp but who know

Maybe your next feature will be something like instancied Battleground or Instancied Arena without loose of gear and reward in royal point for buying pvp stuff..
    We took the Money back Boysssss

The post was edited 1 time, last by AyZ ().

• 1. Green zone rewards for city based instance. Personally, I think that farming yellow zones will be more rewarding and so I do not see a problem with this mechanic.

2. Provides a safe place for people to wet their feet in the game, also good.

3. Safe zone for botters to avoid the public eye, bad. Definitely need a solution to this problem. Perhaps consider removing silver/sigils from this instance and only allowing fame to be gained, except on the first daily attempt in both solo and group. Putting drops into an instance that can affect the world economy seems curious.

4. Consider limiting the amount of instances you can perform each day. If they are truly meant for players that only have 30 min to an hour of time, then why not make them limited to a few runs per day. As per point #3 -- silver and sigils will drop from the first run through, then only fame can be gained. This is simply to make sure instanced content does not affect the larger world economy.

This can help.