Old Runescape vs New Runescape

• Old Runescape vs New Runescape

Hi guys,

I have two questions regarding Runescape!

What are the Gameplay differences between the old and new runescape.

Why is it that the new Runescape is not present on Twitch but the new Runescape has twice as much players as the old one?

Why is Runescape so successful on Twitch in general?

Kr,
    Stefan
  • This is Huge! I started Rs in 2004, 13 years ago and is STILL playing the game from time to time. When the game forced everyone into new runescape back in around 08, i played it for 2 more years before abandoning the game after spending thousands and thousands of hours on it. Only to return when they released old school.

VERY DIFFERENT, new runescape over the years has evolved into Wow
    - Graphics and interface changes(old school barely has any interface, most stuffs is right and left clicks)
    - TOTALLY dif set of combat system, its less clicking and more spamming of core skills(totally non existent in old school where u click and it autohit till 1 party dies),
    - less grindy, leveling is virtually non existent as any active players would have mojority of skills easily leveled to max, some argues it devalues player achievement
    - way way too many items compared to old school, progressions can easily be skipped for say the first 80/99 levels by grinding certain things

The biggest dif is really the content, old school is very simple, the new one has become something so complex that u can really say its a different game. They have a whole new dif directions, new one is a content spam, every month or or u get spammed with new content, expanding into areas that really is just trivial. If u simply just went inactive for 6 months u cant really catch up witht he game anymore. Old school is classic, improvements in "quality of life" or the current things in game is almost like 50% of the updates. New runescape is more like 95% new content 5% quality of life update in every patch.

Im not sure about the answer to this one but I think the most appealing thing about runescape is that its web based, u can easily get access to the game on any pc, downloading is minimal.
    old school is a pretty nostalgic game, it wasnt advertise as much, its a matter of commercial marketing.

I suppose ppl see it as an alternative to wow or any other popular mmo. Rs does have the badge of longetivity, I can safely say they r among the top 10 if not top 5 longest and most popular running mmo in the market.

Albion online is actually my alternative to Runescape for only 1 main reason, the ability to play it on tablet. I really dont mind albion having some rs elements in it. Runescape not only survived but thrived after almost 18 years in the market, they r doing something very right.

Other point -

There is NO sense of directions in new rs, the updates r more like compulsory updates like hey its been 3-6 months, lets give them a new and better wep, basically everything u grind for becomes obselete in like 1 yr. Same as wow, new expansions, everything becomes obselete, old school is dif, its more like hey this place is not popular, lets improve it, gather feedback and poll changes. This is the kind of pace where players dont leave because they know their progression matters and will be in the long run.

The post was edited 7 times, last by agrias ().

• 1#
    Thats easy Oldschool is simple over Rs3, simple mechanics, low system requirements just easy and fun making it more enjoyable not to mention its the game most of its community grew up playing.

2#
    Rs3 Does not have more players then oldschool runescape the counter on the website is for both Rs3 and Oldschool if i remember correctly Oldschool has double activate playerbase of the newer game.

so Subtract oldschool.runescape.com/ players from runescape.com/community to get rs3's online players.

3#

The range of grinding and content is incredible Beyond any mmo currently out there oldschool also has gambling at 50/50 odds that covers alot of twitch streams as well.

The game pretty much caters to playing solo because you can do everything on your own with out ever running out of stuff to do even if playing at 15 hours a day for a few years, so for a streamer you always have content for your viewers and its not just focused on 1 thing like pve/pvp/skilling it covers pretty much everything that every other mmo has to offer.

It also has Many worlds making it very low odds to get sniped while streaming any content.
  • old runescape is what I like from Albion Online.

new runescape is what I don't like about most games.

When Albion Online aims for old Runescape.. I know I will like it.

When Albion Online would make a turn and go New Runescape. I would leave it behind the same moment.

old Runscape = about the game.

new Runescape = about the devs raking in money.
    Let's Make Albion Legendary. just somerandom
  • We (EOS) are a large runescape guild so take this as the opinion of a comunity that actually plays the game.

Runescape streams are by runescape players doing end game content. Either bossing or PVMing or pking its all something that catches atention because its what normal rs players want to do aswell.

Its the same reason that people watch league of legends streams from pro players, they want to see people doing things at a high lvl.

The only reason people didnt really like the sponsored albion streams was because noone really wants to watch people kill foxes. They want to see people doing end game content and on albion theres not much barring GVGs.

OSRS is very sucessful, to keep the playerbase it still has after so many years is pretty impressive and the way that they take polls from players for updates makes sure that everything added is exactly what the majority of players want.

• Bercilak wrote:

What are the Gameplay differences between the old and new runescape.
    Old runescape has a different PvP style mechanics which is very popular as well as a multitude of different content that some consider OP in New runescape which is why its not voted in the old one.

Bercilak wrote:

Why is it that the new Runescape is not present on Twitch but the new Runescape has twice as much players as the old one?
    Im not sure about this but i believe on the main page of users playing is the total of both combined so at the time there are 89k users online and 53k of them are in old school runescape. again i might be wrong. Besides the number game, the new runescapes combat mechanics are simply a mimic of new MMORPG games where you have to activate abilities and thats not what runescape was about and hence why people dont like it.

Bercilak wrote:

Why is Runescape so successful on Twitch in general?
    Its an old game that has a cult following, but the cult was created because the game was initially not made for noobs, the game was unforgiving in pvp(you lose all your stuff) but also it provided many opportunities at different gamestyles with your team. You could team pvp, you could lure people, you could go group or solo questing or just make money and wear nice items, i think the attraction is that it has an economy that presents very rare and expensive things that people want to get, its why you do Godwars dungeons and big bosses, for their rare drops and why you want to PvP certain players if they have items you want such as a godsword or d claws.

Overall the devs of that game have made lots of mistakes, like removing a pvp zone for no apparent reason besides to introduce a different pvp zone... riots went on for months in game which ultimately they brought it back....only after losing thousands of players, same way they made a mistake of *FORCING* everyone to switch to the new runescape 3 version but then later learned that public was not happy and made a 2007 or old school version which is what we have today.

Albion should learn from runescape as i know a lot of runescape players look at albion as a similar game in terms of PvP and risk involved but also need to learn from runescapes devs and the many gigantic mistakes that they have made.
  • Newschool RS is just a generic 'wow mmo' with a bit of the complexity of the oldschool RS.

ORS Had you immersed into the game as soon as you left tutorial island. I remember when I started playing it, I stayed in the same city for over a month cause I had no idea what laid beyond and I didnt want to get lost cause I was doing some money collecting feathers and cowhides.

Thing is, ORS is urfogiving but at the same time its friendly to casuals and non pvp players. You can do everything on RS without ever pvping. While if you're into pvp you can have loads of pvp 24/7 with full loot. You could do pures which are low lvl chars with a couple of maxed stats and have 1v1s or you could just gather ur friends and go for ganks and lures. Another thing that I loved on ORS was that there was no guild/clan system but there were tons of guilds with hundreds of players with their own forums which people would know about watching youtube videos. And the best part of this was, if a guild wanted to prove themselves, they would go on eachothers forums and declare a war on X day at Y hours and every fking body would be there for the goddman war. I mean like 200v200 ppl.

ORS also has so fking much to do, its insane. Theres a lot of ways to grind ur stats, theres a lot of bosses with super rare drops and rly hard to kill. Theres TONS AND TONS of different mobs and zones. Actual immersive zones.
    Theres so many items, everybody can dress uniquely, everybody can balance their stats with items differentely for diff ocassions. you could build ur char however your liked. You could even never touch a skill other than the combat skills or vice-versa.

The economy was just so good, honestely. Then it came the grand exchange which is a global market that kinda ruined part of it but its still better than MOST games by a lot.

The quest system. holy shit. best quest system ive seen in any game. with complex quests with really unique stories and cut scenes. Some of the hardest quests took like 4-6 hours when done for the 1st time of pure frustration or constantely on the edge. These quests werent for show either. each one of them gave diff rewards, from experience to being able to use certain items or go into special zones.

Theres also the duel arena, where u can gamble against other players and making ur own rules.

Theres just so much into it I could go on for days describing it. And thats what people love about ORS. Its simple on the surface but complex if you actually want to be as effective as you can.

TOP 10 Memorable moments on RS

Top 10 Things We All Did As Noobs

Top 10 Best OSRS Money Making Methods

Top 10 Forgotten Places In RuneScape

Top 20 Iconic RuneScape Items

Top 10 Rare RuneScape Drops

Top 10 Easy Skilling Methods

Top 10 Most Annoying Quests In RuneScape

Top 10 Best Oldschool RuneScape Quest Rewards

Top 10 Oldschool RuneScape Minigames

Top 10 Best (Novice) Oldschool RuneScape Quests

Top 5 RuneScape Players Of All Time

Top 10 Creepy Places In RuneScape

Top 5 RuneScape PKers (2004 - 2007)

Top 10 Useless Oldschool RuneScape NPCs

I recommend you watching all of these vids to have a feeling of what the game rly is about and how good it is/was. Actually watch all of the mote plox videos and you'll know why people have been loving the game over a decade.
  • Bercilak wrote:

One more question. I sometimes hear players talking about awesome legendary quests in Runescape. Can someone give me a few examples, ideally vids of these awesome quests?

Thx in advance,
    Stefan
    Desert treasure- is a focal point quest pretty much a necessity in this game but its also a long quest with requirements before you can start it.

Monkey madness- another pretty much required quest also very legendary in the history of runescape, you start to get a pattern of how diverse and long these so called quests or missions you are being involved in, and thats something people love, it drags them into a story thats not always quick and easy, but feels rewarding when you accomplish it because you are always rewarded with certain things like weapons or spells that other people cant use and thats what seperates you from people who play the game and people who dont.

Dragon slayer- a free players quest that is key to being able to put on rune plate body(warriors) and green dragon hide body(archers)

One small favor- this quest is viewed upon as one of the most anoying and frustrating quests in the game, mainly because the NPC's keep asking you for favors and you are forced to walk around back and forth a bunch of times.

Recipe for disaster- this probably is one of the most iconic quests as it not only presents a lot of different rewards but is also the longest quest in the game composed of a bunch of mini quests that all of them have their own pre requisites as well as rewards. Its very long, hard difficulty and requires usually high combat before fully completing all of it. Too many videos to post for it since it has a lot of subquests but this one is the last boss fight.

These are just a couple of core quests that you will be involved in no matter if you are into PvE or PvP, lots of other quests can be listed but this is just a tiny example as im sure there are hours and hours of quests that can be presented.
  • RS3 is the easier version of the game, there are more skills than on OSR like summoning, division (boring skill) & invention..

Combat is faster based than ORS and you can use hotkeys and skills.

There are few elements i like in RS3 which i'm not going to talk about now, because i really dont like the game that much.. Oh yes, if you were to spend all your life spendings to solomon keys then you could pretty much level all your stats to 99 without ever having to do anything in game ever to reach that goal.

OSR is where my heart is at, but i'm afraid that the mistake jagex made was enough to kill all the mood.

But Old School was the bread & butter for everything, what struct me the most about this game was the medieval tone, everything was hard but rewarding in the long run. Also the best times were when i was in these different guild, all the big ones & few smaller ones man, all the GvG battles were so massive at times it would crash the whole server and shit was real. :D

I started back in 2001-2002, also managed to play classic for little time at one point. So if you want a recommendation, then choose OSRS and if you dont like it then try RS3 ("the easy scape")
  • Played 2002-2011 after that forced EoC update and game went to shit, quit soon after that. Got a maxed acc and several maxed pures and rs was hands down the best game ive ever played(also over 6000 hours playtime). Just recently returned to that game when they released the hardcore ironman mode for the oldschool rs. Imo While Guthix Sleeps is the most "legendary" quest in rs

Loskatnaamal
  • (stolen from reddit) a good analogy of old school runescape

Imagine a baker who made a cake in a specific way, every day, for several years. - His customers loved it, but he never really felt like it was what he wanted. So he chooses to change the recipe, and decides to make it look a lot nicer, more welcoming, and overall newer. Many customers hated it, talked shit about it, saying it was a waste of time, and it had ruined the cake for them. They never returned to that cake, because they were simply too stubborn to give it a try. Because the baker cared for his old customers, he chose to make the old cake, but spend a lot more time on the new one, for new people to enjoy. Now the old customers sit in his shop, enjoying the cake, while telling him how to change the recipe ever so slightly, without him having a say, or else they'd yell, and whine at him. While the newer customers come by and taste the old, and the new one, and almost always chooses to stick to the new one.
    [/quote]nostalgia is a bitch :]
    ign: tride

Try whatever tricks you want. I’ll just straight up kill you and resolve the issue once and for all.
  • a good read btw (runescape3 had a hardcore pvp version with full loot(well basic rs pvp rules)
    @Bercilak
    reddit.com/r/RSDarkscape/comme…_march_28_details_and_qa/

a few things that count for albion as well and are surely worth keepign in mind
    What do you think ultimately lead to the decline in the population of this game, as Mod Conor said in his post?

I feel this was a combination of a lot of things really. A large amount of the player base just drifted back to OSRS or RS3 once the hype died down or things in the other games grabbed their attention. Others left due to things like smuggling and 1-itemers. The real killer was the lack of new players staying with the game combined with the natural attrition of players that a game has. Sadly players who tried DarkScape didn't stay for long. Day 1 retention was 25%, day 2 retention was 15%, by day 7 it was 5% and for a month it was 1.7% of new players stayed. Looking at the survey lots of people didn't stay because they didn't feel they could compete against high levels.

another thing worth noting watching runescape is the fact that the old school version does do well but only because it works in a seasonal setting (aka fresh start every few months)

2007.runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Deadman_mode
    runescape.wikia.com/wiki/DarkScape
    ign: tride

Try whatever tricks you want. I’ll just straight up kill you and resolve the issue once and for all.
  • I actually had to login for this topic.

I found this game while playing OSR and the new gen RS trying to recap on some hay days of my childhood.

As for Legacy quests, I personally felt the Dragon Slayer quest was by far the most memorable as it was your first step into Runic Platebody. With that said not only did the title require you as a player to have your character enhanced to a certain level but you also had to complete a quest line to use certain gear, which made that gear have some form of value over the previous tiers as they just required a generic level to equip, the Runic Platebody required you to also pass a series of questline progression(some what full world roaming and in some cases on the bosses instance based) to wear the armor. It was a lot of fun and rather rewarding when you joined the Runic club on the game.

Everyone wants to one up someone and back then that was a moderate to huge deal when it was first released.
    http://i68.tinypic.com/2guwopw.png
  • Illidan wrote:

I actually had to login for this topic.

I found this game while playing OSR and the new gen RS trying to recap on some hay days of my childhood.

As for Legacy quests, I personally felt the Dragon Slayer quest was by far the most memorable as it was your first step into Runic Platebody. With that said not only did the title require you as a player to have your character enhanced to a certain level but you also had to complete a quest line to use certain gear, which made that gear have some form of value over the previous tiers as they just required a generic level to equip, the Runic Platebody required you to also pass a series of questline progression(some what full world roaming and in some cases on the bosses instance based) to wear the armor. It was a lot of fun and rather rewarding when you joined the Runic club on the game.

Everyone wants to one up someone and back then that was a moderate to huge deal when it was first released.
    I agree that Dragon Quest is the most memorable, for me it was also the biggest achievements in Runescape F2P. I Spend 1year to preparing for quest streak. I got all my combat skills to 99 in F2p mind you & went for that final quest to getting that plate armor for the first time.

I thought the dragon would be very hard to beat so i prepared myself with the best armors, food, accessories at that time and went for it. Turned out that it was very easy :D When i got the quest done i was so reliefed that it was over and got access to plate armor, though i still preferred to use chainbody because higher def stat for crush. I went to max combat at moss giants so the chain was best suited for those bastards.
  • just a heads up played runescape back when it first launched and honestly the depth of the game and it's design is why it succeeds.

Two things it has over current ao are:

depth - back when rune first launched it had just alittle bit more to do than current Albion. It got far more in depth later but at launch it had pve and pvp that kept attention.
    -theft
    -fishing
    -unique pve drops that were all useful
    -reasons to both lvl things and not
    -unique areas everywhere
    -etc..

Choke points - to get to the best parts you have to pass either a port into super deep or right out of safe area. This means as you lose population it still seems populated.
    HCN wrote:
    Hello,
    While I do agree with you (I miss the good old days of UO when we didn't have to deal with the instant-gratification-cry-baby generation)

The post was edited 1 time, last by qvq ().

• I played a LOT of runescape between 2003 and 2015. my playtime mostly went down around 2007 when they introduced the RWT updates that killed wildy and introduced the GE and wealth transfer limits. I kinda played on and off until i picked up Albion in 2014. Then i played between AO tests as my filler game. As soon as beta 1 came out, i haven't exactly played since. Old School runescape is why i love Albion so much. AO is, i often say "What runescape should have been."

Old School runescape was much more sandbox. but had great quests which engaged players. The game world felt alive. I made some good friendships in it. I set up a few businesses in the game. It was a game you could really roleplay in. I wish we had that kind of roleplay in Albion Online too.

YaayAlbion wrote:

old runescape is what I like from Albion Online.
    Sammeee

YaayAlbion wrote:

old runescape is what I like from Albion Online.

new runescape is what I don't like about most games.

When Albion Online aims for old Runescape.. I know I will like it.

When Albion Online would make a turn and go New Runescape. I would leave it behind the same moment.

old Runscape = about the game.

new Runescape = about the devs raking in money.
    Fuck it, YaayAlbion#1
    Flufferpope, OG AO since A1
  • You know, now that it is mentioned I'd rather like it if we didn't have an auction house.
    Would be kind of neat forcing immersion among players by selling goods and if the person isn't there with the goods you have to wait until one arrives. It would really add to the world, of course some wouldn't like it but it would let those crafters really shine in light when people require high grade armors, weapons and misc tools etc.
    http://i68.tinypic.com/2guwopw.png