New Outlands Design

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• New Outlands Design

Fellow Adventurers,

One of the main aspects that we will be working on to get the game ready for release is the new Outlands.

These are the areas of Albion Online where PvP is totally unrestricted. They are optimized for guild play and allow guilds to capture their own plots of land and building up their own towns and fight over control, influence, power and wealth in the region. They also contain player cities, which act as a good base for players and, via guild islands, allow guilds to take part in the outland gameplay who are not yet ready to capture their own home territory.

When redesigning the outlands, we are making use of lessons learned from the Beta 1 and the Final Beta, with the goal of combining each version strengths while avoiding the weaknesses.

We believe that we have found a design that fulfills these goals. Here it is:

Note that the maps above are an abstract topological respresentation of how the zones are conneted to each other. The actual look and feel of the world will be far more immersive and not feature the chess-board layout that you see above - in the same way that an actual underground rail network map looks nothing like the actual rail network. The cities displayed are also not little islands surrounded by water, but fully attached to the land mass. For a glimpse of the actual look and feel of the world we are aiming for, see the last picture below.

Design Goals
    Increase population density
    By increasing the ratio of home territories versus normal territories, we want to achieve a higher population density. At the same time, we will still make sure that home territories will always have one buffer zone in between them.

Create a better mix of hot spots and quieter areas
    The outside areas of the Outlands will be lower risk and lower reward, and will be tailored more towards solo and small scale play. The central areas are expected to see constant group action.

Match guilds of similar skill
    The top right region offers the highest rewards in terms of resources, PvP objectives and PvE content, and we expect it to be the most competitive and most densely populated. The bottom left region is at the lowest end. Since it offers lower rewards, we expect that area to be more peaceful, less competitive and also less densely populated. By deciding where they want to settle, guilds can pick their own level of difficulty. For the lower end zones, we will try out our soft gear cap mechanics that we successfully used in Beta 1.

Make travel distances more reasonable
    In the current Outlands, the travel distance from a home territory to the next harbor could be up to 12 zones, and up to 8 zones to the next city. The travel distances are being reduced, without making them too small. Furthermore, the higher end Outlands will have a longer effective travel distance to the green zones than the lower end Outlands in order to encourage trading. Note that in the picture above, the green harbors lead to places at the start of the yellow/red zones, the yellow harbours lead to the middle of the red zone and the red harbours to the outer reaches of the red zone.

Encourage interaction across time zones
    In the current Outlands, the top end guilds could not really fight each other if they were in different time zones, as the distance between them was too large. Instead they had to fight their neighbors, which usually did not stand a chance. The new layout makes sure that guilds of similar skill can settle next to each other and compete, no matter their peak time zone.

Be able to adapt different population numbers
    The map layout self-adapts to population numbers to a large extend. If population is too low for the space offered, we expect the low end Outlands to be less crowded, without really affecting the population at the high end, due to all the best rewards being there. Less populated low end Outlands however are not even a bad thing, as it makes it easier for guilds who are currently based in a city or in the yellow/red zones to make the transition to the Outlands

Allow for expandability
    As shown in the picture below, the Outlands layout can be expanded dynamically to account for a growing population post release.

Create an immersive and believable world
    We want Albion Online's world to feel real and immersive. Apart from the actual zone design, this has a lot to do with how zones are presented on the world map. We will rework the current world map, with the goal to create a more realistic look and feel. As an illustration of what we mean by this, please see the picture below, but note that the actual look and feel is still under development.

We are very confident that the new outlands design fulfills all the above design goals and is a drastic improvement on the current layout, but also on the layout used in Beta 1.

We are looking forward to your questions and feedback.

King regards,

Your Albion Online Team
  • looks like still way too many dungeons all over the map, i think it should be cut down quite a bit, the early alpha days where we fought over fame and silver were incredibly fun and thrilling, knowing that at anytime a team can run up behind you if you are not careful, so far after 2+months of playing i haven't seen 1 enemy in any dungeon ive been at and thats not a good trend.

If possible lets cut down on how many dungeons *total* there are available for players, creating more pvp opportunities as well as making fame matter.
  • Looks nice, definitely an improvement of previous maps. I just don't like that black zones are separated from yellow/red ones, not sure if that will encourage new/casual players and guilds to go there. But my biggest concern is what would stop a massive alliance from taking half of guild territories in their timezone? High-end zone might not be contested at all if an alliance takes most of the territories there, so free chests, castles and raids for them.
  • It looks cool. I like how the difficulty of the zones scale up. Its nice to see only two Outland cities, a low lvl and a higher one. Hopefully these will create active PVP hubs.

What I like most of all is this topic. It's a good thing to receive feedback from the community and share ideas before implementing concrete changes.
  • KuroiAida wrote:

500 solo dungeons again? Please guys dont repeat ur mistake, no1 need solo dungeons.
    Only home territories? Where is other "USEFULL" types of territories?
    you looking only from pvp point of view !
    as a pve player i like to do some dungeons, without dealing with pvp all the time....

@Bercilak
    good job ! i like the new outland, and i think its smart build... just do not forget that some players like to do pve and some craft and some gather, even in a big guilds... so make it fun and rewording (different reword for different jobs) ! even if we in the hardest black zone, that doesn't mean we want to pvp 100% of the time...
    if you have more questions you can ask me on twitch
    or in my youtube channel
  • grofire wrote:

KuroiAida wrote:

500 solo dungeons again? Please guys dont repeat ur mistake, no1 need solo dungeons.
    you looking only from pvp point of view !as a pve player i like to do some dungeons, without dealing with pvp all the time....

@Bercilak
    good job ! i like the new outland, and i think its smart build... just do not forget that some players like to do pve and some craft and some gather, even in a big guilds... so make it fun and rewording (different reword for different jobs) ! even if we in the hardest black zone, that doesn't mean we want to pvp 100% of the time...
    As PvE player you SHOULDNT be inside the solo black zone dungeon. We dont need solo dungeons in black zones.
    If you cant/wont PvP sit in your queenlands or w/e.
  • Regarding solo dungeons. We will look at the amount of it (like I said it, we will review Dungeons as a whole). However also keep in mind that the unlocking of weapons will very likely become harder. So you might want to have an option where you can do that alone.

Kr,
    Stefan
  • KuroiAida wrote:

grofire wrote:

KuroiAida wrote:

you looking only from pvp point of view !as a pve player i like to do some dungeons, without dealing with pvp all the time....
    @Bercilak
    As PvE player you SHOULDNT be inside the solo black zone dungeon. We dont need solo dungeons in black zones.If you cant/wont PvP sit in your queenlands or w/e.
    im in the black zone because im part of one of the big guilds, and i like to do pvp, but i like to do pve too!
    u do not want to do pve go and find pvp... what u care if i want to do some pve ?
    or in my youtube channel
  • @Bercilak
    What new dungeon concept?
    Linked dungeons in Beta 1 were perfect. I don't think we need special solo dungs, just make them linked with the group one.

Right now u have 4 groups(3 solo and 1group) of dungeons around each raid. In my opinion it should be better if in 1 group would be 3 group linked dungeons and 1 solo dung, instead of 3 solo and 1 group.

New Outlaws look awesome and much more better then actual.
    Just maybe it's better to makes raids on 3 different biomes? Not like now - 2 of them are on steps.

#MAKEALBIONGREATAGAIN

My reff link! -->> HERE <<--

The post was edited 1 time, last by Modnoc ().

• Bercilak wrote:

Regarding solo dungeons. We will look at the amount of it (like I said it, we will review Dungeons as a whole). However also keep in mind that the unlocking of weapons will very likely become harder. So you might want to have an option where you can do that alone.

Kr,
    Stefan
    please remember that some ppl like to do pve, and not only going to pve as a part weapon advancing.
    if u make the pve boring and not worth like now, must of the ppl that like pve will probably be bored of the game.
    im just saying the pve should be rewording and fun by itself, and not part of a pvp system.
    or in my youtube channel