Final Beta Duration and Release Timing

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

  • Final Beta Duration and Release Timing

    Fellow Adventurers,

    First of all, we want to thank you very much for supporting us in the development of Albion Online.

    The Final Beta has been running for a little more than two months. It is a good time to let you know our view on the status quo of the game and give you an update on the way forward.

    Compared to Beta 1, we have fixed a lot bugs, addressed some critical game design issues and added new exciting features and content to the game. On the other hand, some of the changes made between Beta 1 and Final Beta have created new issues that need to be addressed.

    On top of that, taking stock of Beta 1 and Final Beta, we still feel that some of the game’s core gameplay is not yet where it should be.

    We are eager to get the game ready for release and we know that waiting for this to happen can be frustrating. Our main goal with Albion Online is for the game to be a long term success. We want the game to do well even 5 years down the road, and not suffer the crash and burn fate so common in newly released MMORPGs.

    Therefore, we have decided the following:
    • Final Beta will continue into the next year
    • There will be an in-beta wipe, most likely in February/March, once we have made the necessary improvements to the game and game world
    • If these improvements turn out well, we will release the game shortly thereafter
    In order to keep this announcement short, we are providing further details on the planned changes at the link below:
    Best regards,

    Your Albion Online Team
  • At first I thought "hey, they are not going for the market standard of launching rushed crap MMOs", but you know what, thinking better about these news, I am starting to resent the sheer level of incompetence on dealing with deadlines and managing a project.

    I joined this game some years ago reading that it'd be a f2p game to be launched in 2015ish. We are now speaking about a possible launch in 2017, but considering what a crap state the game is in now I can tell with some certainty you will not match that deadline. Again.

    The sequential postponements are not the issue itself. Problem is you are still doing the concerning trend of not knowing how to deal with a project like this. I think it is time we start acknowledging that you are not that different from the market usual the way you claim. You keep making the same errors again and again and again. Everytime something is not working you decide to ignore every single little piece of feedback and re-do everything from scratch. The same arrogance from most of MMO developers overflows from SI.

    I don't know why I would even bother to expect final beta #43827984732 to be any different from this one. You'll keep changing everything without any real plan on mind. Then the game will be even more broken (because, obviously, you decided again to do a re-do for the entire game) and more time will be needed, so there we are again for a new roadmap.

    You became 0 different from any MMO developer out there. It's MMO amateur time all over again.
    Youtube channel (GvGs, OW-PvP etc): youtube.com/c/Nietz

    The post was edited 2 times, last by Nietz ().

  • Actually, we as a team also would love to finally see the game live. But we were not really happy with the outlands we created for this Beta and that is also the Feedback that we got. Unfortunately the Outlands are one of a few pieces which are extremely hard to change in a live environment. Therefore we came to the conclusion to better make these bigger fixes before release.

    We understand that many of you had hoped for the game to released this year. We would have loved to do so, too. However, a pre-mature release helps nobody, and has been the cause for many in principle great MMORPGs to not last long.

    Kind regards,
    Stefan
  • Bercilak wrote:

    Actually we as a team also would love to finally see the game live. But we were not really happy with the outlands we created for this Beta and that is also the Feedback that we got. Unfortunately the Outlands are one of a few pieces which are extremely hard to change in a live environment. Therefore we came to the conclusion to better make these bigger fixes before release.

    We understand that many of you had hoped for the game to released this year. We would have loved to do so, too. However, a pre-mature release helps nobody, and has been the cause for many in principle great MMORPGs to not last long.

    Kind regards,
    Stefan
    NO ONE IS PLAYING THIS BETA! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    WHO IS GOING TO TEST CHANGES IN THE NEXT 5 MONTHS?
  • Bercilak wrote:

    We are eager to get the game ready for release and we know that waiting for this to happen can be frustrating. Our main goal with Albion Online is for the game to be a long term success. We want the game to do well even 5 years down the road, and not suffer the crash and burn fate so common in newly released MMORPGs.
    Respectfully, you now risk crashing and burning without ever actually releasing the game. I'm not sure that is really an improvement.

    Better to be over-bold than over-cautious. Who dares, wins.
  • Hello,

    I know many players will not stomach another wipe before release. There were promises made and plans made based on those promises. Wipe is a hard experience for us players to go through. It's a large commitment and a lot of work. I will stomach it, but I know a great many players who will not. Please consider alternatives.
    Flufferpope, OG AO since A1
  • Bercilak wrote:

    Actually we as a team also would love to finally see the game live. But we were not really happy with the outlands we created for this Beta and that is also the Feedback that we got. Unfortunately the Outlands are one of a few pieces which are extremely hard to change in a live environment. Therefore we came to the conclusion to better make these bigger fixes before release.

    We understand that many of you had hoped for the game to released this year. We would have loved to do so, too. However, a pre-mature release helps nobody, and has been the cause for many in principle great MMORPGs to not last long.

    Kind regards,
    Stefan
    Its odd to think about the state of the game though. If you'd go back a year, implement the bigger areas in the game we had back then, the game would already be 10 times better than now. You wasted a full year on things that actually made the game worse, sure you reworked a new area, but despite that the game went downhill massively. You kinda seem to think we do not care about the game, but we also really do. We'd love the game to succeed right now, but there's been so many questionable decisions, and on top of that all of our feedback has been ignored, because we have warned you all for plenty of things, yet you decided to ignore us. And now you think its odd we are losing faith on this game ever releasing? Its not a wonder really, its hard to stay positive from what we've seen in the last year. Sure you will whipe again, there will be another final beta, but this same tale has been told a few times already, you can't blame us for being negative about this either, and its hard to see a release in the next 10 months.

    People hate betas, sure they're fun to play around with, but we keep losing progression, this has to stop, make up your mind, fix the problems and launch the game. Then keep working on it to make it better, or else even Star Citizen will release faster than Albion Online.
  • FlufferPope wrote:

    Hello,

    I know many players will not stomach another wipe before release. There were promises made and plans made based on those promises. Wipe is a hard experience for us players to go through. It's a large commitment and a lot of work. I will stomach it, but I know a great many players who will not. Please consider alternatives.
    Hi @FlufferPope

    we had considered implementing the changes without a wipe, but where this would have failed is when it comes to the new outland design. It's close to impossible to change that in a live environment.

    We fully understand that wipes can be frustrating, and totally understand if people take a break for that reason or just wait for release.

    Ultimately, our goal is to deliver a great game on release. There simply are no, or very few, good Sandbox MMORPGs in the market right now (Eve being the exception) and it does not seem that likely that a decent game is seeing release any time soon. On top of that, most of these games crash and burn really fast. This is something that we want to avoid at all costs - as stated many times, we want Albion Online to be a long term success.

    All the best,
    Korn
  • Korn wrote:

    FlufferPope wrote:

    Hello,

    I know many players will not stomach another wipe before release. There were promises made and plans made based on those promises. Wipe is a hard experience for us players to go through. It's a large commitment and a lot of work. I will stomach it, but I know a great many players who will not. Please consider alternatives.
    Hi @FlufferPope
    we had considered implementing the changes without a wipe, but where this would have failed is when it comes to the new outland design. It's close to impossible to change that in a live environment.

    We fully understand that wipes can be frustrating, and totally understand if people take a break for that reason or just wait for release.

    Ultimately, our goal is to deliver a great game on release. There simply are no, or very few, good Sandbox MMORPGs in the market right now (Eve being the exception) and it does not seem that likely that a decent game is seeing release any time soon. On top of that, most of these games crash and burn really fast. This is something that we want to avoid at all costs - as stated many times, we want Albion Online to be a long term success.

    All the best,
    Korn
    My understanding is that Eve was a mess when it released. You don't polish to perfection before release because you can't. No matter how long you spend developing a game this complicated, it is going to be a mess when you release it.

    I can only speak for myself, of course, but the hype is gone. The excitement is gone. I'm not even slightly bothered by this announcement because I've already moved on and found other games. I am unlikely to come back.

    But I'd still like to see you guys succeed, and I really don't think this road you have chosen leads to where you want it to go.
  • well for me i am waiting this game for 2 years and while we are waiting for release u are doin beta in wipe u took our money and u are makin us wait.in my opinion this game lost already more players and will lose more u can release and then do better improvements with patches u are doin really bad so i dont think i will play this game after wipe.



    Good luck with ur bad efforts......
  • Korn wrote:

    FlufferPope wrote:

    Hello,

    I know many players will not stomach another wipe before release. There were promises made and plans made based on those promises. Wipe is a hard experience for us players to go through. It's a large commitment and a lot of work. I will stomach it, but I know a great many players who will not. Please consider alternatives.
    Hi @FlufferPope
    we had considered implementing the changes without a wipe, but where this would have failed is when it comes to the new outland design. It's close to impossible to change that in a live environment.

    We fully understand that wipes can be frustrating, and totally understand if people take a break for that reason or just wait for release.

    Ultimately, our goal is to deliver a great game on release. There simply are no, or very few, good Sandbox MMORPGs in the market right now (Eve being the exception) and it does not seem that likely that a decent game is seeing release any time soon. On top of that, most of these games crash and burn really fast. This is something that we want to avoid at all costs - as stated many times, we want Albion Online to be a long term success.

    All the best,
    Korn
    the new map would need testing aswell.
    having 2 "failed" maps, doesnt mean you got enough knowledge to have the 3rd map being an instant flawless success.
    try to have more then your usual testing-crew to give feedback on the new design.
    having some of the more experienced playerbase trying out that map before it actually goes anywhere near live, that would save you a lot of work that you would have by repairing a broken map once again^^