Current State of the Final Beta & Way Forward

Diese Seite verwendet Cookies. Durch die Nutzung unserer Seite erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass wir Cookies setzen. Weitere Informationen

• After reading multiple posts and comments about what is wrong with the game right now I have come to the conclusion that being a game developer sucks.

First of all, none of you can agree on what is wrong with the game. Someone will post a long, well thought out critique of what is wrong and how it can be fixed and the replies become a bunch of people disagreeing and saying that isn't the problem.

There are things the devs put in that some people love and others hate. There is no winning at all. It seems like the only thing they can do is make the game as fun to the largest group of people they can. They will never make the game exactly how YOU want it because there are so many other people that want the game a different way. For them to cater to the individual player is stupid but everyone talks like the game will fail if they don't cater to their own specific wants and desires.

I'm not saying the game doesn't have it's flaws but if the devs were to read every single thread and comment about what is wrong they would get so many conflicting messages about how to fix it.

The proposed changes sound good to me and I will just wait to see how they play out.
  • BloodyOwnage schrieb:

In the computer industry, vaporware (also spelled vapourware) is a product, typically computer hardware or software, that is announced to the general public but is never actually manufactured nor officially cancelled.

Just wondering..
    Vaporware is, in fact, pretty common among small indy team projects (Pathfinder Online comes to mind).
    The problem with SBI is WHY they are SO AFRAID of release ?

They will develop new features and fix others after release, of course, the only thing they wont be able to do - to clear character progression and items.

Other MMOs (from teams, that can not violate the release schedule the way you do) can show you a lot of ways to proceed without wipes = like opening a clean server each year, or releasing an expansion, that devalue all previous character possessions and progress, forcing it to start a new iteration.

You think you can play "The Game of Wipes" like forever... but you can not, since there are MMOs in development, which already got periodic world wipes as game feature (Crowfall). And there will be more.

Please, stop this endless stream of betas, release it in 2016 at least.
  • Hi @Run.Run,

thanks for your feedback.

First of all, I'd like to point out that we have always been very clear about our philosophy with regards to Albion Online: the main goal is for the game to be successful in the long term. The game will be released when we believe that it's able to achieve that goal. Every time we gave an indication for a release date, we always made that clear.

Having said that, we are certain that if we would release the game right now, it a business success. However, so are many games that still were pretty much dead 6 months later.

Currently, there is a realistic chance that due to some flaws with the core game loop - those mentioned in the OP - the game might fail to gain lasting traction, and might crash and burn similar to so many other MMORPGs released over the past 5 years. This seriously cannot be what any body wants - in particular not because it is not rocket science to fix these issues, as you can see in the OP. It's not about re-inventing the wheel, it's largely about balance, polish and fine tuning, and (unfortunately) some world changes.

From a players perspective, I think that most of you are looking for an MMO that they can play for an extended period of time. I am sure many players here had high hopes for games such as Wildstar, Black Desert, Arch Age or other games, hoping that finally, one game would "stick". And yet, they did not - though of course, the reasons for this vary.

We can be very clear that, after 4 years of development and being extremely close to release, we will not jeopardize the success of the game out of impatience. As stated, there is no external business pressure forcing us to release prematurely, and again, I am convinced that even those players who now push for release would much rather see a great game, then to be looking back in a couple of months time and complaining about the game being released too early, or in an unfinished state.

We are extremely close to getting the core game absolutely right, in a nutshell, it's about combining the best parts of beta 1 and final beta with regards to the economy, overall balance, world map and feature fine tuning.

Once that's in place, we are ready for release and can finally start working on the long backlog of awesome expansions for the game. (arena, fishing, player run shops, putting more sand in the box, conquerable open world buildings, guild QoL, market upgarde, transport contracts, .. the list goes on)

All the best,
    Korn
  • Korn schrieb:

Hi @Run.Run,

First of all, I'd like to point out that we have always been very clear about our philosophy with regards to Albion Online: the main goal is for the game to be successful in the long term. The game will be released when we believe that it's able to achieve that goal. Every time we gave an indication for a release date, we always made that clear.

Having said that, we are certain that if we would release the game right now, it a business success. However, so are many games that still were pretty much dead 6 months later.

Currently, there is a realistic chance that due to some flaws with the core game loop - those mentioned in the OP - the game might fail to gain lasting traction, and might crash and burn similar to so many other MMORPGs released over the past 5 years. This seriously cannot be what any body wants - in particular not because it is not rocket science to fix these issues, as you can see in the OP. It's not about re-inventing the wheel, it's largely about balance, polish and fine tuning, and (unfortunately) some world changes.

From a players perspective, I think that most of you are looking for an MMO that they can play for an extended period of time. I am sure many players here had high hopes for games such as Wildstar, Black Desert, Arch Age or other games, hoping that finally, one game would "stick". And yet, they did not - though of course, the reasons for this vary.

We can be very clear that, after 4 years of development and being extremely close to release, we will not jeopardize the success of the game out of impatience. As stated, there is no external business pressure forcing us to release prematurely, and again, I am convinced that even those players who now push for release would much rather see a great game, then to be looking back in a couple of months time and complaining about the game being released too early, or in an unfinished state.

We are extremely close to getting the core game absolutely right, in a nutshell, it's about combining the best parts of beta 1 and final beta with regards to the economy, overall balance, world map and feature fine tuning.

Once that's in place, we are ready for release and can finally start working on the long backlog of awesome expansions for the game. (arena, fishing, player run shops, putting more sand in the box, conquerable open world buildings, guild QoL, market upgarde, transport contracts, .. the list goes on)

All the best,
    Korn
    Thank you for this post. I am glad your looking at the core of the game, i hope you all find a good balance to attract and retain as many players as possible. I love this game, and really hope it lasts. Be the next Runescape.
  • Korn schrieb:

I'm afraid to think that current version of PvE - where it's nearly impossible to find a group for blue t5 dungeon run in the most populated town in the game - is considered "absolutely right". It look like it may take very long time (more than 3-5 months considering mere claymore nerf took ~10 days to implement) to improve it to the point where it may become a reliable source of fame - and fun.
  • Korn schrieb:

We can be very clear that, after 4 years of development and being extremely close to release, we will not jeopardize the

We are extremely close to getting the core game absolutely right, in a nutshell, it's about combining the best parts of beta 1
    Thank you for the reply, I understand your point about "non-compromised" and stable core mechanics, but are you sure you are not /stuck in feature creep, in endless spiral of modifications ?

I see such things happening time to time in software development, and most times its a pure loss at the end.
  • Run.Run schrieb:

Thank you for the reply, I understand your point about "non-compromised" and stable core mechanics, but are you sure you are not /stuck in feature creep, in endless spiral of modifications ?

Hi @Run.Run,

that is a very valid concern, and of course a question we asked ourselves, too.

We came to the conclusion that we are not stuck in a spiral / feature creep for the following reasons:
    • Final Beta has shown that there are parts of the game that were objectively better in Beta 1 than they are now. We know how and why that was, and it's conceptually not hard to combine the best of beta 1 with the best of final beta. It does take a bit of time, though.
    • When you look at the points mentioned in the OP, almost of all of what's mentioned would fall into the polishing / improving / optimizing category. This is drastically different from the step from Beta 1 to Final Beta, where tons of game mechanics were fully reworked, and new features were added.
    All the best,
    Korn
  • Pashgan schrieb:

Korn schrieb:

I'm afraid to think that current version of PvE - where it's nearly impossible to find a group for blue t5 dungeon run in the most populated town in the game - is considered "absolutely right". It look like it may take very long time (more than 3-5 months considering mere claymore nerf took ~10 days to implement) to improve it to the point where it may become a reliable source of fame - and fun.
    i don't understand the concept of grouping with randoms in a PvP full loot game... people will let you die just to loot you, lol i know i would.
  • Korn schrieb:

Hi @Run.Run,

All the best,
    Korn

But here's the thing, we understand and praise the patience of the development team and the fact it does not give in to pressure (since there is no outside publisher pushing for it). I myself played some of the games you mentioned and agree with you wholeheartedly. Problem is you seem to take measures that were not asked at all, and instead of doing some balancing/tweaking you come with huge new systems overlapping its predecessors. Most of times it's huge new things destroying what we had and introducing new concepts. Now that's what pushes the bar for most of people I guess. A huge new map, a huge new destiny board, a huge new progression, a huge new this, a huge new that. Please, just balance what needs to be balanced. The core game is absolutely AWESOME.
    Youtube channel (GvGs, OW-PvP etc): youtube.com/c/Nietz
  • Although I enjoy the 1 month seasonal play, I must say that the issues that are constantly swirling do not seem to be polish / fluff issues.

I am deeply concerned that the issues of the game are basically the game itself. It isn't like we are discussing biomes being added. Were talking about territory size, gvg's, pvp, economy, open world bordem... things that are pretty much the game itself.. I cant see this game launching anyyyyytime soon. Which is fine, but I think it was a PR move to call this the final beta, premature at best.. don't rush what isn't ready... it clearly was not ready in beta 1 and thinking we could just throw together a fuck ton of changes and call it final beta was pre-mature.
  • Pashgan schrieb:

Korn schrieb:

This sounds like the wrong game for you then (which is ok). This game is about finding a guild that is right for you and playing with them. This is not wow or other mmos where you solo most of the content except for dungeons/raids. The upcoming changes should be enough....once again the problem is you want a different game....
  • Seasonal gameplay would be best for this game because of many reasons. But the best of is the competition between guilds from the start. it feels like we play age of empires at Outlands. But well absolutely there we need more zerg events and less lag at zerg fights. And maybe some new mechanics to contribute to competition bloodly.
    short timed passenger
  • Then what fights have u found at black zones? Gate camping or running around for hours and finding some solo gatherers and then running into 30 players cus there are no more red dots on minimap. Thats pretty much it. Old maps had good design, they had chokepoints so u could win 10vs20 or trap people if your hunting small groups. Right now its just big open plains. Small players can escape, big zergs catch u offguard and your small group is dead. Its pretty much go out 10+ or go gather at an empty map at black zones.

I have no idea why they deleted many maps that had good design.