Weapons with Taunt and No Threatening Strike

Diese Seite verwendet Cookies. Durch die Nutzung unserer Seite erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass wir Cookies setzen. Weitere Informationen

• Weapons with Taunt and No Threatening Strike

So for those of you who haven't discovered this there are a few weapons that have taunt and are obviously meant to function as a tank in some way shape or form but, cannot due to the fact that taunt will not pull everything so you are basically half of a PvE tank. I will list off the items then the problem.

Quarterstaff: Has recently become a great tank item in the game due to the amount of cc it has and is very viable for peeling in PvP scenarios. The problem is to level it you need the correct armor set most people will go on the forums or youtube and look up the weapon or PvP encounters and copy the builds only to realize they cannot do their job in a PvE scenario which this game requires to level. Now adding threatening strike wouldn't give it a major PvP boost and it wouldn't make it OP so why not give it to them?

Broadsword: Is not a tank item which is fine however from the standpoint of a new player and most people coming from other MMOs a one-handed sword is the weapon of a plate-clad warrior. Now from this mindset the armor set would be just from a general new player perspective as follows Heavy helmet, heavy chest and heavy boots. This creates the problem of people playing yet another tank set-up with a weapon that historically in MMOs is either partial tank or full tank and you yet again do not have threatening strike to perform well in PvE scenarios for leveling.

The thing is experienced players may not see the problem in this however for new players and those still coming to the game picking the wrong gear set is always a problem but, the misleading extra skills seem to be either misplaced or utterly useless without the companion skill.

However I am interested to see what others think I think there may be another weapon with this issue however these are the two main points feel free to give input and your opinion on the matter.
    • Now you mentioned, i have to agree with you. Why add taunt to weapon, but not threatening strike? It looks more like the work is started, but not finished. Mace and hammer have both abilities and i think sword should definetly have also. And if quarterstaff is considered as tanking weapon it should have both abilities, but if not, then should also remove the taunt. After these changes everything makes more sense. Good notice.
      I am just the guy who gives you a ride to the underworld.
      How to start build my character?
    • Thomas9 schrieb:

Now you mentioned, i have to agree with you. Why add taunt to weapon, but not threatening strike? It looks more like the work is started, but not finished. Mace and hammer have both abilities and i think sword should definetly have also. And if quarterstaff is considered as tanking weapon it should have both abilities, but if not, then should also remove the taunt. After these changes everything makes more sense. Good notice.
      Glad to see someone else thinks this makes sense! Thanks mate.
    • I do have to agree and hope they work towards this. The addition of taunt to the quarterstaff is already nice, but not that effective.

I've tanked a good bit of dungeons during the past weeks and the difference between weapons in terms of PvE tanking is atrocious. Holding aggro with the flail is extremely easy (root generates threat), while the hammer falls in second and the quarterstaff/sword makes kinda of a single-target tank.

Problem is in AO the dungeons are designed to be mobbed (from pull size to kiteability of mobs), so it doesn't make much sense how the aggro for tanks is working right now. The main tanks should all be able to hold aoe aggro with some effort. Plus, as mentioned, this change only brings more QOL without messing with PvP.

In practice as an ironclad I am forced to go in first and just group stuff, then my DPS kite/kill while I watch and toss some situational interrupts (e.g. against necro archers). Feels really lame. By the other hand the flail is pure awesomeness in that regard, as you can go in, aggro everything and they'll stick to you while you only have to do some taunts here and there.

Now, most of people would say "join a guild"; but yeah you shouldn't need to be carried in farming in order to play.
      Youtube channel (GvGs, OW-PvP etc): youtube.com/c/Nietz
    • Nietz schrieb:

I do have to agree and hope they work towards this. The addition of taunt to the quarterstaff is already nice, but not that effective.

I've tanked a good bit of dungeons during the past weeks and the difference between weapons in terms of PvE tanking is atrocious. Holding aggro with the flail is extremely easy (root generates threat), while the hammer falls in second and the quarterstaff/sword makes kinda of a single-target tank.

Problem is in AO the dungeons are designed to be mobbed (from pull size to kiteability of mobs), so it doesn't make much sense how the aggro for tanks is working right now. The main tanks should all be able to hold aoe aggro with some effort. Plus, as mentioned, this change only brings more QOL without messing with PvP.

In practice as an ironclad I am forced to go in first and just group stuff, then my DPS kite/kill while I watch and toss some situational interrupts (e.g. against necro archers). Feels really lame. By the other hand the flail is pure awesomeness in that regard, as you can go in, aggro everything and they'll stick to you while you only have to do some taunts here and there.

Now, most of people would say "join a guild"; but yeah you shouldn't need to be carried in farming in order to play.
      Yeah I haven't actually main tanked this Beta however this has been a re-occurring problem for many of my guild mates. @Bercilak @Korn