Suggestion - Fog of War on World Map

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Suggestion - Fog of War on World Map

When I played GW1, one of the most fun I got out of playing was clearing up all the fog of war on the world map to see where I've been. I think Albion's world map should also have a fog of war for these reasons:
    • Give players a reason to explore each corner of the world, unlocking the visibility of the map with every adventure. Mapmaker could be a profession or service within the game.
    • Players shouldn't be able to see where guilds have set up camp. They should have to search for guilds by traveling to each cluster and unlocking the map visibility. Just like in any RTS, you have to send a scout to see the enemy location and clear the map up of fog. This would add another layer of espionage metagame for players and guilds to enjoy.
    • Will add a sense of awe and mystery to pvp areas, as new players will want to see what is beyond the safe zone. There is more reason to enter and explore the pvp areas, whereas before there was no mystery and players put it to the side; with a fog of war, they are drawn to Pandora's box.
    • Cluster names and general landscape (bodies of water, landmarks, etc.), would be shown on the world map, but things like dungeon entrances, guilds, roads, and other details would be left to discovery.
    • Devs wouldn't have a fog of war, but a clear view of the world map for dev things

The post was edited 1 time, last by Rook ().

• Aye, individual exploration, maybe Guilds could research some form of shared Fog of War later so they can see what the guild has seen. Building watchtowers and such would be nice.

Actually, what if some zones had single building slots for Watchtowers ? Guilds would need to claim the spot and build a watchtower for a big vision range on that map, but they could be smashed by other guilds and they could build one there.. Difficult to smash though.
  • @Khor

I don't think watchtowers would work. If you've ever owned and defended a castle from inside the castle, you'd know that enemy guilds are not going to be dumb enough to hammer at the gate while you shoot arrows and bolts at them.

touching upon your idea for a tower that allows increased sight... how about a ravens roost? A hunter-based building/addition/upgrade that gives you a raven (or more ravens with each tier) that can be activated like a spell to scout the map and report back enemy movements in your cluster.
  • Rook wrote:

@Khor

I don't think watchtowers would work. If you've ever owned and defended a castle from inside the castle, you'd know that enemy guilds are not going to be dumb enough to hammer at the gate while you shoot arrows and bolts at them.

touching upon your idea for a tower that allows increased sight... how about a ravens roost? A hunter-based building/addition/upgrade that gives you a raven (or more ravens with each tier) that can be activated like a spell to scout the map and report back enemy movements in your cluster.
    Lie lord of the rings, not a bad idea but i feel that would be hard to implement but maybe for the watchtower idea you could place them at the borders to work as sort of early awareness system but have ways to get past them undetected for scouting and such and still be breakable if you have a large enough group to either take it over(could add an interesting twist on guild strategys) or destroy it to reduce some vision and awareness or the other guild
  • BaconPanda wrote:

Rook wrote:

@Khor

Lie lord of the rings, not a bad idea but i feel that would be hard to implement but maybe for the watchtower idea you could place them at the borders to work as sort of early awareness system but have ways to get past them undetected for scouting and such and still be breakable if you have a large enough group to either take it over(could add an interesting twist on guild strategys) or destroy it to reduce some vision and awareness or the other guild

Last test, our mini-maps would only show our guild mates. It would show enemies if they were nearby as well. With ravens, we could use them to reveal enemy dots on the map at the other end of the cluster :)

Having unmanned watchtowers by entrances is just wacky imo. For something as early detection, a one-time use trap/trigger/device would be better.
  • Rook wrote:

BaconPanda wrote:

Rook wrote:

@Khor

Last test, our mini-maps would only show our guild mates. It would show enemies if they were nearby as well. With ravens, we could use them to reveal enemy dots on the map at the other end of the cluster :)

Having unmanned watchtowers by entrances is just wacky imo. For something as early detection, a one-time use trap/trigger/device would be better.
    True but maybe there could be a theoretical garrison that makes the tower hard to beat
  • BaconPanda wrote:

Rook wrote:

BaconPanda wrote:

Rook wrote:

@Khor

True but maybe there could be a theoretical garrison that makes the tower hard to beat

if so, then there should be a building that allows us to rehabilitate captured heretics or human enemy mobs to act as this garrison. they must all be manually armed by the owning guild as well. I prefer realism lol
  • Rook wrote:

BaconPanda wrote:

Rook wrote:

BaconPanda wrote:

Rook wrote:

@Khor

if so, then there should be a building that allows us to rehabilitate captured heretics or human enemy mobs to act as this garrison. they must all be manually armed by the owning guild as well. I prefer realism lol
    actually thats a good idea, maybe add a barracks and use guild money to train recruits(take a set time to train) and then to upgrade you need to input the gear you have made, but they have to be trained enough to use them
  • BaconPanda wrote:

Rook wrote:

BaconPanda wrote:

Rook wrote:

BaconPanda wrote:

Rook wrote:

@Khor

actually thats a good idea, maybe add a barracks and use guild money to train recruits(take a set time to train) and then to upgrade you need to input the gear you have made, but they have to be trained enough to use them

with strict limits of course (i.e. salary/wages and cap), so that no soloist or guild can have an army
  • Rook wrote:

BaconPanda wrote:

Rook wrote:

BaconPanda wrote:

Rook wrote:

BaconPanda wrote:

Rook wrote:

@Khor

with strict limits of course (i.e. salary/wages and cap), so that no soloist or guild can have an army
    exactly
  • OooOOooOO

I love this idea. It inadvertently also helps you know what you have already explored as well. Great idea!
    CrimsonCrust

Gaming Experience:

Ultima Online 95 - 99; WoW - 2001-2002; Army (literally); Ultima Online 2005 (nostalgia); RIFT 2005-2008; WoW 2008-2009; DemiGod 2010-2011; Dota2 2011-2013; WoW 20014 (WoD expac wanted to check it out); Albion Online