API for Markets

• I assume they are currently developing the API. Why? Well first of all they use a API for the leaderboard on the official website. You can find details in the source code (minified and unminified) and in the network tab of your browser.

After playing around a bit I found some (useful?) API calls:

gameinfo.albiononline.com/api/gameinfo/search?q=%USERNAME% (i.E. gameinfo.albiononline.com/api/gameinfo/search?q=Ketka)
    gameinfo.albiononline.com/api/…items/search?q=%ITEMNAME% (i.E. gameinfo.albiononline.com/api/…/search?q=Morgana&limit=1)

When you play around with it you will figure out that it's still under development after some calls seem to be buggy and I would say it should not be possible to search for items with an empty query to receive pretty much everything. Last but not least I guess they will implement some kind of authentification service before making all calls public for lots of reasons.

@Korn Are we allowed to use those API calls?
  • Bump again.
    Has there been any kind of official word on this? Can we get one? At this point based on the responses here and elsewhere there are dozens of developers itching to get their hands on data like this. Personally I'd love a market API to track trends in prices and such, but an api for GvG info etc. would also be amazing.

Games like this depend on the community to keep them going long-term. Allowing for the development of 3rd party apps would go a long way towards keeping the community engaged even while offline.

PLEASE SBI, make it happen!
  • Dygenn wrote:

Mechanisms should not be added that keep players 'playing' while out of the game. Even if coders want to code instead of playing.
    @Korn already explained why even SBI would like to see this feature implemented. Someone will scrape the data, one way or another. through packet deconstruction or some other mechanism such as OCR streaming.

Some people are already doing this and keeping their tech close to chest. Creating a really kind of vicious meta-meta-game alive. Better to just provide an API for everyone's use.
  • zakaluka wrote:

Dygenn wrote:

Mechanisms should not be added that keep players 'playing' while out of the game. Even if coders want to code instead of playing.
    @Korn already explained why even SBI would like to see this feature implemented. Someone will scrape the data, one way or another. through packet deconstruction or some other mechanism such as OCR streaming.
    Some people are already doing this and keeping their tech close to chest. Creating a really kind of vicious meta-meta-game alive. Better to just provide an API for everyone's use.
    A group of us are working on a very open system that will help get market details out to everyone. While it will never be as good as what SBi could offer, it should be pretty awesome. On the plus side it also includes gold prices and with any luck after we release we will add things like city plots and such.

Expect to hear more next week. :)
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/regnerba
  • zakaluka wrote:

Dygenn wrote:

Geeks are going to be geeks. Make the market info public knowledge and there will be one less reason to actually play the game. It's more 'fair' that way.

I would certainly hope that anybody already doing this would keep it private. Flatten out the whole world and give everybody all the market statistics and it's just a dull ride on the oxen for anybody who still wants to participate. There is no immersion in staring at a table on a web page.

Go ahead and wreck another PvE aspect of the game. Turn the suppy chain into an algorithm. The game can be ganking 100% of the time after the whole logistics and infastructure part of the game is 'optimized.'

It doesn't matter. If SBI wants it that way, make it so. We all know how that often has turned out.
  • As someone who has played MMOs for a long time and worked on MMOs I learned something a long time ago. No matter what you do players will always try to do things the optimal way in-game. A lot of the time people will look at doing something in-game and say "no way, I am not fucking setting an alarm clock just to get X" because they have a life and they care about themselves. Others however will just say "I don't fucking care what I have to do, I want to be the best" and they will do things to be the best while hating themselves and the game at the same time.

As a game developer you end up in a situation where one group of people doesn't want to play because another group of players has an advantage over them and it isn't fair and having to give up your life to compete is bullshit. Or that same group of players says "fuck it, I will do that same thing because losing fucking sucks" and now they hate themselves and the game as well. Then the second group is hating themselves and the game as well because fuck doing things that suck.

Now what you have is people that just hate the game, they may be invested in it, but that investment will fade as doing this terrible things takes a toll on them.

In Albion one example of this is playing the market. The optimal way right now is to have a character in every city, log it on, check the prices of items one at a time, rinse repeat for every city, then make your choices and go. It is the optimal thing, but I hate doing it but fuck if I am going to not do it because fuck not being the best.

So to avoid that as a game developer you need to make compromises and make very careful design decisions. And let me tell you, it is fucking hard because no matter what you're going to piss some people off, they are going to rage, and no matter what you do the players have more time in the day[1] then you do and they will figure things out you haven't. God fucking damn it players are the fucking worst, you will hate your players, but they are also the best... it's and odd thing working on games like this.

Anyways, the point I am trying to make is that an API is needed so that the people who care about playing the market can focus on playing the market and not the tedious task of getting the information. Sure playing the market may tend to mean making spreadsheets and looking at those spreadsheets a lot, but that is still playing the game. It might not be YOUR game, but that is one of the reasons Albion and games like it are so awesome. There is no immersion lost for me when I do that. For me that is when I get invested the most. When I spend so long making choices and then I take a smaller action in game. Fuck that feels good.

I am now going to go back to working to ruin your game and make my game more fun.

Goodbye! :D

1) if you have 100,000 players that play 2 hours a day, thats 200,000 hours spent thinking about the game. True not everyone plays every day, but lots play more than 2 hours, some play less, this is just a rough number get over it. Now compare that to the amount of time developers have to think about the game. Say you have 100 devs and they spend 10 hours a day thinking about the game. That is still only 1,000 hours of thinking of the game. Players have a LOT fucking more time and they abuse the shit out of it.
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/regnerba
  • To mirror Fox, yep, players ALWAYS and I mean ALWAYS end up using systems in ways the developers did not intend, sometimes mistakenly because the developer didn't consider an interaction, but often to exploit things for their advantage.

That being said, I put out a 1 to 2 times a day economic update of JUST the resources t2 to t8.

it takes me 30 mins to gather the data from all 6 cities, and that's using Fox's client program that acts as a secretary and scribes it to a file that I then parse for my spreadsheets.

I could of course automate the whole process, but I do not because the devs have stated that while reading the network traffic is ok (the marketplace sends you up to 50 orders for each search/dropdown filter you do), its not ok to automate the visiting of the marketplace or the clicking of the drop down menus.

So yeah, I would LOVE an API, and am excited about Fox's new version coming. And I share it with everyone who cares to look at it.