Feature Highlight: Study Crafting

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• In the current crafting system you can progress by simply buying the materials off the market, crafting tons of low level weapons/armors and recycling them all. So the whole progress in crafting can be reduced to simple formula "Silver spent->crafting unlocked". You dont even need LP really. And the amount of silver you need is laughable really. Your new system does nothing to address that. And it should, unless you want unlocking of any and all crafting to be trivial.
  • @Talion can you share your thoughts on quality of studied item versus gained fame when studying it.

My fear is that if you get more fame from higher quality items that would completely remove them from market.

My initial thought is just allow studying own crafts and have the quality affect in reversed fashion. Meaning the crafter character is learning from his mistakes and is proud to sell the higher quality items on market places.
    IGN/Discord : Ravenar#2076
    Join Albion
  • HungryGhost wrote:

In the current crafting system you can progress by simply buying the materials off the market, crafting tons of low level weapons/armors and recycling them all. So the whole progress in crafting can be reduced to simple formula "Silver spent->crafting unlocked". You dont even need LP really. And the amount of silver you need is laughable really. Your new system does nothing to address that. And it should, unless you want unlocking of any and all crafting to be trivial.
    Hopefully they drastically increase the fee that you have to pay.
  • i like this system , its a good way to control the AH prices . But the main problem i see is with crafting focus being capped around 3800. 765 per day . As you said crafting focus could be used getting better fame returns when studying a crafting line . Dont you think there should more focus which could be used in crafting , refining , studying then having base cap at 3800 ? maybe 50k or somwhere in that line which could be used or maybe lowering the crafting focus cost for items ?

2nd problem is instead of stabling the economy the system may make the cost of items very high for new players to aquire them .

3rd by fixing the return rate on salvaging items with 30% return in cities , 40% in red zones and 50% in black zones ? , would it not fix a few things ? since zones have an advantage but salvaging in any zones is the same . any feed back on changes to salvaging also maybe ?
  • HungryGhost wrote:

In the current crafting system you can progress by simply buying the materials off the market, crafting tons of low level weapons/armors and recycling them all. So the whole progress in crafting can be reduced to simple formula "Silver spent->crafting unlocked". You dont even need LP really. And the amount of silver you need is laughable really. Your new system does nothing to address that. And it should, unless you want unlocking of any and all crafting to be trivial.
    I get your point here, but i feel that this will balance out as well. When the value of a finished product rises, so will the cost of materials to make it since the gatherers will want a nice cut of that final sale price.

If the prices of materials don't rise with the final product by the gatherers by choice, then the nature of an economy will naturally balance it out. Supply and demand. If a lot of people start crafting for profit, materials will have an increase in demand, raising prices, and final products will have an increase in supply, lowering prices.
  • Reptoid wrote:

I get your point here, but i feel that this will balance out as well. When the value of a finished product rises, so will the cost of materials to make it since the gatherers will want a nice cut of that final sale price.
    The value of finished product is low not because crafters oversupply the market currently - after all most of them dont bother with trying to sell cheap crap for peanuts even now, and just salvage it. Its low because lower tier materials are abundant and the gear made from them is not in demand at all once the majority of population leveled past it. It will not change. And mechanics of "Spend silver, get leveled up" is very bad in my opinion, no matter how much silver we are talking here.

Also, you can notice that proposed changes will actually significantly reduce the amount of material needed for leveling up. After all atm you only getting 25% of materials back and consequently 25% more crafting fame from trash item. Post patch you will get 50%+.
  • Heavyarms wrote:

Reptoid wrote:

Supply and demand.
    I love how this term gets thrown around on these forums as if it encapsulates the totality of economics. It's about as redundant as quoting F = ma to explain any engineering problem/ why my car won't start.
    Nooone ever said anything about it encapsulating the totality of economics, but when you have an extremely shallow economy such as Albion, it is the major factor in determining the cost of items, alongside with how easy it is to obtain currency ("Inflation" : If you didn't know)
  • I'd add that another major factor in determining the price of items is the cumbersome nature of listing things on the markets, especially when there's a very high chance of being undercut by 1 silver (or more, if the other guy is stupid) within 30 minutes. I reckon a lot of people just can't be fucked to sell at competitive prices, and this severely impacts the magic of the supply/demand equilibrium.

If this is already an issue (which it patently is) I can only imagine how frustrating it will be to try and sell homogeneous goods (i.e. basically everything) when the population is significantly larger. I look forward to the future days of the AO markets becoming a war of 1-silver-undercutting attrition where the winner is the guy prepared to stand hitting refresh for hours on end.

edit: this could potentially be avoided if people start using the buy order correctly, but current buy orders are basically a form of tax on stupid and/ or drunk people who miss-click. The amount of 6.3+ items I have received for under 500 silver it testament to this. Honestly I would really like to see SI automate the buying and selling process; the current manual system is very archaic and incredibly tedious. I have some simple ideas on this is @Korn or anyone else is interested in simple changes to create a fluid marketplace.
    "[...] doesn't suffer fools gladly."

The post was edited 2 times, last by Heavyarms ().

• Heavyarms wrote:

edit: this could potentially be avoided if people start using the buy order correctly, but current buy orders are basically a form of tax on stupid and/ or drunk people who miss-click. The amount of 6.3+ items I have received for under 500 silver it testament to this. Honestly I would really like to see SI automate the buying and selling process; the current manual system is very archaic and incredibly tedious. I have some simple ideas on this is @Korn or anyone else is interested in simple changes to create a fluid marketplace.
    albiononline.com/en/jobs/game-economist
  • @Heavyarms

Imo no fast travel and big world might help with that. But repair station and knock down first etc. is not going to help economy as ppl wont lose as much gear as before. At least it seems like it. And lower demand is the last thing this economy needs. Especially with multiacc and alts as many ppl have crafting alts.

Why did devs get rid of that one character thing, WHY? I'm still crying over it! ;(