Backlog - Two More Potential Problems

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Things that are bad for the crafter:
    • Blank items
    • Stackable items
    • Reforging
    • Rerolling

Why?

Blank items remove the need to develop a sense of the market for the crafter to identify the market's needs.

Stackable items are hand in hand with blank items and increase hoarding which when a crafter dumps goods will cause people to buy out stacks at an artificially low price hampering future sales.

Reforging is a horrible idea as it devalues the market niche of a given item with a particular set of abilities selected.

Rerolling is a horrible idea as it devalues truly crafted legendary, epic and so on.

Please stop making it so easy.
  • I'm going to post my thoughts on this no reforging stuff here hopefully some of the PRO no reforge people will read this as I believe there are many points they are over looking. I'll do my best to write it up in a more constructive manner than my previous more arrogant post :).

Blanks with No Reforging - Simply put this change would not actually improve trade it does complicate gear mechanics and it could create a secondary gear market where blank/new gear sells through at a slower rate.

Reasons: Currently all items on the market are technically blank because of reforging. A player shops by price and by rarity, typically purchasing the lowest cost item and occasionally paying a bit more for a rare item i.e. excellent, master, epic, legendary. People posting auctions typically post based on lowest price available on the market. They either match that price with their auction or they undercut that price. Now, adding blanks with no reforging doesn't change this behavior, people are still going to shop by lowest price and auction posters are still going to undercut one another. So blank normal gear will still fall into the same pattern that it does now being that it's more or less a blank currently. So looking at those pieces alone changing the mechanic hasn't made any useful change to the market. Now, let's add in gear that is locked to the equation. People will for the most part match the blank normal gear price with locked normal gear, players now have to sift through many more options to on the market to choose the item they wish to purchase, this adds complication and still hasn't made much of an impact in sales volumes. Lastly, there is a decent probability that the used gear being posted will undercut the blank/new gear. Why? Well the used gear was taken off of some poor soul that lost a fight. The seller at this point isn't inclined to be overly concerned about market stability as the item they are selling was free. So from here what can occur is the used gear starting to undercut the new gear price, give this a day or two and a trend can develop as such. What this idea has now created is a scenario in which new gear sells more slowly than used gear and or forces the crafter to create items with locked skills and sell it at a discount as if it is used. Really any way you look at it the market trend that develops from a blank and no reforging scenario does not really benefit sell through volumes or pricing of a crafter.

Secondly: The amount of gear a player would need without reforging would likely triple adding undo complication and a huge amount of increased storage needs. I myself use different spells on my gear depending on what it is that I'm doing, so I would need 3 to 4 times as much gear as I do now stored.

Thirdly: If it's increased focus on crafters and a small town type of mechanic for buying gear directly I believe the best option is to remove Re-Rolling and or modify it so that only someone with the ability to craft the item is able to Re-Roll the item. This will reduce the amount of Epic or better gear in the game increasing it's rarity, and push players to utilize crafters more directly than they do now. Excellent or better gear would only be available when it is crafted if the crafter rolls an epic or better on item creation. Now, you could also modify rerolling so that only a crafter with the ability to make the item can re-roll it but instead of using silver it takes 1 more of each mat to attempt a reroll. - Personally myself and others that I play with would prefer a system like this as far as re-rolling goes.

Thanks for reading, I hope this helps this debate.
  • Pithon,

Thanks for the input. I have to say that after reading I am very unclear exactly what your stance is on the issues. You seem to state that you are for blank items and non-locked in skills yet your argument up until nearly the end shows how the change would be a negative. I will try to offer thoughts on what it is you seem to be saying.

Blanks with No Reforging - Simply put this change would not actually improve trade it does complicate gear mechanics and it could create a secondary gear market where blank/new gear sells through at a slower rate.
    This is a pretty strong reason to never implement such an idea. No real explanation needed.

Reasons
    This section is almost identical to my argument which is provided earlier. You diverge when you try to 'locked' gear as 'used'. Regardless of classification gear attained from PVP will be sold at a price that hopefully allows for quick sales. Rather than try to classify items by new or used for the rate of sale you can look at the price. Low priced items will sell faster than an identical item at a higher price point, thats not anything that will ever change and therefore shouldn't even be part of a discussion.

Really any way you look at it the market trend that develops from a blank and no reforging scenario does not really benefit sell through volumes or pricing of a crafter.
    This section and the bit above it do not follow sound logic. Simple economics math tells you that creating desirable subcategory of items and reducing the available quantity of items available will naturally increase the value of said items. Let's say you start with 400 heavy chest pieces. There is a value for those items. If you are able to create between two desired version of each chest piece you now have a supply of 200 items for each category. It would be safe to assume that the value of each sub category would actually improve , the amount is debatable but the improvement is important to crafters. This would also help stem the deflation that occurs within markets by at least partially addressing dumping by splitting items into multiple groups.

Secondly
    If skills were locked into items then players would indeed be required to purchase and store multiple sets of gear if they were wanting to swap skills. This absoultely should be the penalty of choosing to play like this. I don't understand why there would be any need to make it easy on players to swap their skills out. The upside to forcing this is that the crafting markets becomes significantly more viable as the number of items needed for the player base to be satisifed at any point in time actually grows. This is a good thing for the economy as a whole.

Thirdly
    I almost entirely agree with you here and have stated my thoughts on that in a seperate post which is linked in the OP. Hopefully the devs will listen to this.