Please add colorblind mode!

• Cornwall wrote:

I am not myself colorblind but have poor eyesight seeing distance. I'm surprised this hasn't already been implemented.
    Me too, esp since it was addressed well over a year ago in a number of threads.

It seems like every game I play, color blind mode gets implemented years after release. I think it was 2 years for WOT and I kept ramming my tank into the border because the red border line was not visible to me on the green field as I'm red/green color blind (very common in males) and also various shades of blue all look alike to me.

In some cases a simple symbol can be used, for example, instead of green dot and red dot for friendly/enemy (which is hard if you are red/green color blind) a red X and Green dot solves the problem and requires a simple image replacement to incorporate.

My biggest issues are stone nodes because I have a hard time recognizing one from the other. Also territory colors with the very thin colored border. This could be fixed easily by using dots for some borders, dashes for others, and the currently used solid-line. Colors could be kept but this simple change can help a lot.

The use of design for the quality of an item is color-blind friendly as is the use of roman numerals, but there is still room for improvement. And personally, it gets tedious in upper tiers reading the roman numbers, seems like a single English digit would be better, and more visible, color blind or not.
    The Chronicles of Whip
    Recruiter ● Founder ● Supporter
  • Please don't waste valuable development time on this right now. Stuff like colorblind mode should be considered a year + down the line from launch, after the game is stable and successful already.

Maybe if this was a massive studio, but this isn't a huge gaming company. their resources are better spent in other areas of development.
  • Benevolence wrote:

Please don't waste valuable development time on this right now. Stuff like colorblind mode should be considered a year + down the line from launch, after the game is stable and successful already.

Maybe if this was a massive studio, but this isn't a huge gaming company. their resources are better spent in other areas of development.
    These changes take very little effort and the devs have been very keen to receive feedback from the community (perhaps you haven't noticed). A friend of mine makes color-blind mods for games and it takes him only a few hours to do it.

That being said, it will be up to the devs to decide how their time is best spent, not yours.
    The Chronicles of Whip
  • I'd just try to imagine yourself trying to play a game where you can't tell things apart, I mean that would not be fun at all. Especially here in the U.S. at least you're seeing a lot of ADA and progressive things happening to make sure everyone has at least the same experience with things as others (at least as best can be done). 1 in 12 men are affected by color-blindness and 1 in 200 women, it adds up with a popular game.
  • Whip wrote:

Benevolence wrote:

Please don't waste valuable development time on this right now. Stuff like colorblind mode should be considered a year + down the line from launch, after the game is stable and successful already.

These changes take very little effort and the devs have been very keen to receive feedback from the community (perhaps you haven't noticed). A friend of mine makes color-blind mods for games and it takes him only a few hours to do it.
    That being said, it will be up to the devs to decide how their time is best spent, not yours.
    You are either bullshitting about your friend, or he bullshits you. Just QA testing on a texture patch to weed out bugs would take hours on even a small game. AFTER the developer thinks it's complete. Let alone the development time itself. Now add this to 5 platforms and a MASSIVE game, and we have a clear case of you don't know what you're talking about.

Perhaps you haven't noticed, but asking the devs to spend development time elsewhere IS feedback. naturally you are inclined to see anything opposing your goals as less than worthy of being legitimate, but such is human nature. If it helps kick in the rationality a bit, consider that i am not against a colorblind mode per se, just against it being developed right now with the plethora of security, gameplay and economy issues the game is facing. Its beta. Time to polish the game, not introduce new functionality.

and duh, of course the devs decide to spend their time based on how they decide to spend their time. I also like to do that. in fact i haven't met anyone that doesn't.
  • You make it sound as if this game was made with no regard to colorblindness. Just me put this into perspective:

The color difference between different stones is about as much as the difference between day and night lighting. They are all more ore less the same shade of brownish gray and you have to rely on shape.

Fiber and ores are number coded. Trees and animals are distinct in shape.

Territory borders are hard to see, period. No matter of the color. I think this is on purpose.

Inventory item tiers are marked with color and roman numeral, as stated before. The one item type I found so far, where there are multiple items in the same tier with the same shape are those gems.

Inventory item damage markers are color coded (white->green->yellow->red).

And about mouse-over: Any suggestion how to implement mouse-over on tablets? Or are you proposing to give PC players an advantage over tablet users?
    It's simple: If someone wants to PvP, they'll PvP. If they are not in the mood for it, they'll do something else. If there's nothing else to do in the game, they'll switch games. End of story.
  • HenryLoenwind wrote:

You make it sound as if this game was made with no regard to colorblindness. Just me put this into perspective:

The color difference between different stones is about as much as the difference between day and night lighting. They are all more ore less the same shade of brownish gray and you have to rely on shape.

Fiber and ores are number coded. Trees and animals are distinct in shape.

Territory borders are hard to see, period. No matter of the color. I think this is on purpose.

Inventory item tiers are marked with color and roman numeral, as stated before. The one item type I found so far, where there are multiple items in the same tier with the same shape are those gems.

Inventory item damage markers are color coded (white->green->yellow->red).

And about mouse-over: Any suggestion how to implement mouse-over on tablets? Or are you proposing to give PC players an advantage over tablet users?
    A "double-tap" control scheme could be applied to tablets. First tap highlights the object and provides a tooltip and the second tap confirms.

Tablet users chose the alternative control methods with the risk of being sub-par compared to PC. People play on PCs for a reason, variety of control options from mouse to trackpad to touch screen and keyboards to controllers. Next people playing on smartphones will complain that tablet/PC users have more precise control methods and bigger screens so everybody has to suffer from lower cameras. I guess PC users will have to deal with single-monitor fullscreen only because we can also multi-task efficiently.
  • Jiinn wrote:

actually my guild mate that it is colorblind says that it is quite hard to understand the trees :D you need to understand the shape but sometimes they are similar only different colors..... like light orange or orange
    Yup, for me it's the chestnut trees when compared to another tree that looks very similar but only gives rough logs. The chestnut tree has a slightly different shape so most of the time I can make it out but I still end up clicking the wrong tree 1 in 5 times except in zones where I have literally memorized the location of the correct tree.

I still have not found iron, so thinking it might look like another ore but a different color, I just keep knocking at random ores to see if it is iron or not. I'm hoping it has a different shape and that I've just been unlucky.

@HenryLoenwind I don't believe that you're color blind.
    The Chronicles of Whip
  • Whip wrote:

Jiinn wrote:

actually my guild mate that it is colorblind says that it is quite hard to understand the trees :D you need to understand the shape but sometimes they are similar only different colors..... like light orange or orange
    Yup, for me it's the chestnut trees when compared to another tree that looks very similar but only gives rough logs. The chestnut tree has a slightly different shape so most of the time I can make it out but I still end up clicking the wrong tree 1 in 5 times except in zones where I have literally memorized the location of the correct tree.
    I still have not found iron, so thinking it might look like another ore but a different color, I just keep knocking at random ores to see if it is iron or not. I'm hoping it has a different shape and that I've just been unlucky.

@HenryLoenwind I don't believe that you're color blind.
    yes indeed he says he has this problem with chestnut as well
  • Whip wrote:

No need to tap randomly. Copper has 2 "spikes", tin has 3, iron has 4, and so on.

The point I'm trying to make is that Albion already was designed from the ground up to not rely on color alone for most things. There are still some things that were overlooked or were not obvious to the designers, but it is clear that they did have color-blindness on their mind from the beginning.
    It's simple: If someone wants to PvP, they'll PvP. If they are not in the mood for it, they'll do something else. If there's nothing else to do in the game, they'll switch games. End of story.
  • HenryLoenwind wrote:

No need to tap randomly. Copper has 2 "spikes", tin has 3, iron has 4, and so on.
    Thanks for that. As it turns out I did stumble on Iron for the first time last night.

HenryLoenwind wrote:

but it is clear that they did have color-blindness on their mind from the beginning.
    If I agree to that or not, it still has no bearing on the current condition of the game as it relates to the color blind. I have my color issues but the game is playable for me, misty areas are a greater challenge because colors become more saturated. But I can't speak for others that are also color-blind because color-blindness varies from person to person, and color to color.
    The Chronicles of Whip