Angepinnt Protecting your account against hackers.

Diese Seite verwendet Cookies. Durch die Nutzung unserer Seite erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass wir Cookies setzen. Weitere Informationen

• Protecting your account against hackers.

Some useful advice on how to avoid being hacked.

1.) Never use the same password for your game account and email address.

This one is pretty simple. If you use the same password for both things, it only enabled the hackers to make further changes to your account and even have access to more of your personal information.

2.) Avoid using the same login information that you've used for other games or fansites.

This is pretty much the same as number 1. Most hackers get their information from infecting fan-sites with keyloggers and of course they have lists of emails and passwords that they've used on other titles. So do the smart thing and avoid using the same password for the same game.

This also means it's a good idea to use a different email address as well for a new title, that you wish to play. Just like with the password information, that hacker may be able to get their hands on, they will also have your previous or current email address. So using a brand new email address can also help with increasing the security of your account. I would recommend services like Google, which gives you the option to use a 2 step authenticating for accessing your email address.

3.) Don’t buy gold/silver!

Well if you buy gold/silver, you are only helping the hackers to continue ruining with the game that you want to enjoy. Also lets not forget that these hackers / currency farmers don’t get their gold/silver from using bots over and over again to get their gold/silver. They hack accounts and strip all that currency to then sell to someone. Most if not all those currency farming websites are also infected with keyloggers.

If you wish to buy ingame gold, you have 2 legal and safe options.
      1. Purchase gold from the online shop through albiononline.com/en/shop/
      2. You can Currency Exchange ingame to purchase Gold for the Silver that you collect ingame. This will be based upon an exchange rate that changes daily ingame. For example 1 gold coin may cost 17 silver coins, but tomorrow it could be 28 silver coins for 1 gold coin.
      But the options above are safe and secure, without the risk of your account being stolen and stripped.

4.) Don’t download bots!

Firstly if you get caught you will get banned and you deserve it! Secondly any “free” bot that you see out there is just a little .exe file that is in fact a keylogger! So use some common sense and just play the game normally and avoid your account being banned.

5.) Don’t share your account!

Giving your friends access to your account causes issue for Sandbox and will cause issues for you. If you allow people access to your account, they could say and do something, which ends up getting your account suspended or banned and in the eyes of Sandbox this was you. They can’t see who the person is that is logging into the account.

Also can you really trust your friends? For all you know that have bots on their computers, which will get detected and boom there goes your account. Remember that you are personally responsible for the security of your account and your computer, not Sandbox.

6.) Scans.

Make sure you scan your computer for viruses/keyloggers at least once a week to make sure that it’s clear. This is because when your information is collected it’s not used at that very same moment, but the hackers will use it days or weeks later. So being able to notice a virus or keylogger was on your system, the sooner you can get the password to your email and account changed.

There are many free anti-virus software out there, so just go onto Google and search for one which has the best reviews and try it out. Also don't forget that many of the paid anti-virus programs out there, do offer a 30 day trial period, so if you're looking for a decent paid service, then make sure you try them out.

7.) Photo ID

Make sure you never have photos of these still in your email address, which you may have sent to companies in regards to account verification. If a hacker gets onto your email address, they will have access to everything. So make sure any old (sent) emails are deleted if they contain images of your ID. Nothing more worrying that having a hacker getting hold of your ID, which just makes it easier for them to say they are the owner of the account.

8.) Passwords.

Make sure you have a good password. Don't have something, which can be guessed. For example I know there are those of you out there, who probably have qwerty123 as a password. Make sure to have something like MyPass87OFAweSOME for example. using lower case, upper case and numbers as the passwords for Albion Online I believe are case sensitive.

Soon we may be getting a 2 step authenticator, so once that has been released, please download it onto your phone and get it attached to your account. This will provide even greater security for your account and peace of mind for you.

9.) Scams (Ingame whispers / emails)

Another tactic used by hackers are trying to take advantage of peoples insecurities. I'm talking about the ingame whisper and emails, which inform you that you're about to be banned or have been banned.
      • Ingame Whispers: These whispers normally will inform you that you've been detected cheating/selling gold/botting or any other reason that the script is setup to spam as many people as possible. It will say that if you don't respond to the link in the whisper, your account will be banned. Now remember that the link will never be to the official page of AlbionOnline.com, but will be something like Albion-Online.com.sk or something close resemblance to the original URL. Just ignore the whisper and continue playing because if you were going to be banned, you would be banned and then receive an email about it informing you that you have been banned and reason behind that decision.
      Finally remember that Game Masters in Albion Online with have (GM) in blue font. Players can not change their font colour, when sending you a whisper, so keep an eye on that.
      • Scam/Phishing Emails: At the moment this isn't something you need to worry about, as we're not at that stage yet. However; when it gets to this point, you will may receive emails saying that if you do not verify you're the owner of this account, your account will be banned. The links in these emails will look real, even the email address at the top will show that it's from Sandbox, but this is just ghosting, which masks the real email address.
      The links, if you hover over the link in the email (do not click it) will show you it's taking you to a completely different address to what is shown in the email.

However; if you are still worried, then manually log into your account management page on the Albion Online website and submit a support ticket. Also if you're not banned, then you should be able to log into your game account, so just go ahead and login.

Remember that gaming companies will not threaten you with a ban if you do not verify you're the owner. They will ban you and then ask you to get in touch with them.

Everything else is ...

Common Sense

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 13 mal editiert, zuletzt von Doowie () aus folgendem Grund: Updates

• That is indeed something that is very common Soarlozer. As mentioned at the top, they keep a lot of information for days/weeks/months/years and keep trying that same data for everything that has a chance of netting them a profit. I do want to highlight though that not all of these hackers/gold farmers are chinese, but there are companies backs in the United States and mainland Europe, which do this as well.

Personally I've only ever been hacked in Rift, while I was playing and I was quick enough to get onto my account management page and change the password before my character was stripped.

Account security is something everyone needs to take seriously and there are those like you've who have used the same password and have been safe. However; at one time or another we all fall victim to this. The good thing that has come out of the hacking situation with Albion is Sandbox are working on getting an authenticator system applied to their game, which will help secure our accounts. Personally I just hope everyone will use this feature and if it's with Google, people can use the PC version if they don't have a smartphone.

So lets keep our fingers crossed and hope that the worst is behind us.
    • One thing I want to add in regards to the authenticators.

Just remember that even if you do have an authenticator on your account, this should not stop you from still scanning your computer for viruses/keyloggers. There are still keyloggers out there, which can help hackers bypass the authenticator, but those keyloggers are very rare to have placed on your computer. They are called "Man in the Middle" keyloggers.
    • A few more tips to reduce the chances of getting hacked.

• Avoid using the same email account to register for a game as the email used for your Facebook account or other social media or fansite accounts.
        • hackers can't just magically brute force generate your email address - they have to have acquired that from somewhere
        • If you list all the games you play on your Facebook page or some forum signature and then use the same contact email for your game subscriptions you are pretty much putting out a "Hack me!" sign
        • the more 'unlisted' your billing email address can be the safer your account will be
      • Request that developers use something other than your email address or visible forum name to login to the website and the client - make it a unique login username
        • If the login user name for the website and the client is not clearly visible to everyone or easily figured out like an email you've now made brute force attacks significantly less effective.
        • Don't name your characters exactly the same as your client login username
        • again the more 'unlisted' your login username is the safer your account will be

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von Mhyth ()

• I agree that there is no good reason for the Albion site to boldly display your e-mail address. I sent a question to them about how to change the e-mail address used for my account specifically because I do not like having my e-mail address displayed on the web page.

Also... shameless bump to support security awareness. This is an important topic for everyone.
    • Mhyth schrieb:

A few more tips to reduce the chances of getting hacked.

• Avoid using the same email account to register for a game as the email used for your Facebook account or other social media or fansite accounts.
        • hackers can't just magically brute force generate your email address - they have to have acquired that from somewhere
        • If you list all the games you play on your Facebook page or some forum signature and then use the same contact email for your game subscriptions you are pretty much putting out a "Hack me!" sign
        • the more 'unlisted' your billing email address can be the safer your account will be
      • Request that developers use something other than your email address or visible forum name to login to the website and the client - make it a unique login username
        • If the login user name for the website and the client is not clearly visible to everyone or easily figured out like an email you've now made brute force attacks significantly less effective.
        • Don't name your characters exactly the same as your client login username
        • again the more 'unlisted' your login username is the safer your account will be

Thanks for taking the time to post your information, Mhyth :)

MythicWanderer schrieb:

I agree that there is no good reason for the Albion site to boldly display your e-mail address. I sent a question to them about how to change the e-mail address used for my account specifically because I do not like having my e-mail address displayed on the web page.

Also... shameless bump to support security awareness. This is an important topic for everyone.
      When it comes to changing your email address, I can't really be sure as to how Sandbox Interactive will handle this, but you will need to make sure that you have a photo of your ID ready to prove that you're the real owner of the account. So make sure the ID is valid, in colour and hasn't got any information blurred/blocked out.

They won't store that information as it's against EU laws for companies to store that kind of data these days. But just wait to hear back from their support team for further details on how to get your account details updated.
    • To prevent to get hacked when you are accessing your account use "security VPN" proven by we'll know security company like F-Secure Freedome.

It prevents "man in the middle" attacks if they try to route your data feed to other location.
      It also prevents you to get redirected to insecure scam sites what tries to steal your account and prevents tracking attempts.

Also if you ever get mail like "you need to update your account" never ever press any links in that email! Go to account site, login and do the stuff what is needed. If they need you to update some info they surely prove that option via normal login to your account.

And bonus for devs / companies if you want to prevent email scamming whit your faked domain start using SPF and DKIM signatures in your emails (and set DMARC to 100% of course).
      "I play like shit, but least I play something!"
      -Groth
    • The thing with VPN access is that it's something hackers will also use to try and hide their tracks. So telling people to use a VPN is a bad idea as it can cause issues for Sandbox's Support if they want to check say the access to an account.

Also remember Groth, that many will use free VPNs, which pretty bad as well.

In regards to the email about updating your account, it's indeed always a smart move to manually goto the website and check any changes. If a password update is required, you would get the message, when you manually enter the account management page to change the password. So it's always best to double check with the manual login.

What needs to be done is making it so email providers approve the valid company email address, so any ghosting or address can not be completed without verification for example. But we're a long way before such changes will be applied to common day use.
    • Doowie schrieb:

The thing with VPN access is that it's something hackers will also use to try and hide their tracks. So telling people to use a VPN is a bad idea as it can cause issues for Sandbox's Support if they want to check say the access to an account.

Also remember Groth, that many will use free VPNs, which pretty bad as well.
      Yes agreed people should not use any free "secure" VPN services. Those are terrible and can be potential security threats. You can not know what they really do whit data feed.
      However using paid real security company security cloud VPN (like F-Seucure is proving) is a good and highly increases your online security (and privacy).

What comes to SPF and DMARC any company that cares online / email security should star using those.
      For users it arises very much security, because then non-legit emails will be dropped automatically.
      Some big email services like gmail and outlook already uses those and would drop messages if someone is faking your domain.
      So for users if you care about your security when you are choosing your email service provider check that company cares about security. Of course this can be guite hard to do because mostly those services do not prove that info or it is just full of technical jargon.
      "I play like shit, but least I play something!"
      -Groth
    • Hi @Doowie I have put in a request to sticky this post. No promises that it will happen but I really like it. For myself as an additional bit of protection, I also use separate email addresses for gaming and making purchases. And trust me they don't even remotely resemble each other, nor do they have any part of my real name in them. :)
      Good luck and Good skill!
      My referral link: albiononline.com/?ref=XK8PRWZMEE