Resources on plots

• Resources on plots

instead of just the regular buildings you can make on plots, how about being able to grow resources? you can make it really easy to T3 with just gatetown. Once you're headed to T4, you REALLY need to join a guild with territory for this. I've seen plenty of large plots pretty much wasted with just a house. i was thinking it may be a great idea to be able to grow some resources on your own land.

the size can be the same size as a normal building so people cant grow to much, maybe 1-2 max items. a large tree for wood, large pit for ore, large rock for stone, large crystal for gems, large bush for fibers, and a large animal for hide. they could require a catalyst to make them, such as a seed from a tree. considering the amount of harvesting that goes on, the drop rate can be low. maybe 0.5% and can come from the node(and tier) you're harvesting. for example, a T3 tree has a 0.5% chance to yield a T3 seed. the low drop rate can encourage more trade and ensure that almost all items still come from the wild. the grown resources can have durability or a set amount of materials it can produce so it finishes and ensure its not an infinite source of materials.

this will give players more use out of their land. it can also help fill a "gap" in resources when you are having a lot of trouble finding something to finish whatever you craft a lot. obviously you'd need a gate around your property so people cant just walk up to your node and harvest.
  • 2 thoughts:
    1. Balancing Issue - By growing resource A, you make it less scarce. People will push to plant the highest tier most scarce resources to farm. It will imbalance the economic aspects of the game too easily I think. I will place Boars on my property to scare away the neighbors :) I am sure the devs have put a good deal of thought into the amount of resource nodes available in the game for optimal results
    2. Technical difficulties - Depending on the saturation of buildable plots that have resources, there will be many additional counters. I don't know if I would dedicate spare processing power on the Game Servers to calculating the additional resource counters (Probably not terrible on resources, but still added calculations) or if I would put that spare processing power to use in handling PvP situations or strengthening mob AIs.
  • As land is at a premium, being able to set up your own garden is a logical step. You can already kinda do something similar with the transmuter, but it would be cool to have a garden where you input some kind of material (fertilizer or silver/gold) and then watch the resource grow. Even upgrading your plots from Tier I through to the biggest tier.
  • Zetecua wrote:

2 thoughts:
    1. Balancing Issue - By growing resource A, you make it less scarce. People will push to plant the highest tier most scarce resources to farm. It will imbalance the economic aspects of the game too easily I think. I will place Boars on my property to scare away the neighbors :) I am sure the devs have put a good deal of thought into the amount of resource nodes available in the game for optimal results
    2. Technical difficulties - Depending on the saturation of buildable plots that have resources, there will be many additional counters. I don't know if I would dedicate spare processing power on the Game Servers to calculating the additional resource counters (Probably not terrible on resources, but still added calculations) or if I would put that spare processing power to use in handling PvP situations or strengthening mob AIs.

not sure about the technical parts but the resources grown would be a small amount and finite so they would need the items to be grown again or nothing grows. also the amount grown could be reduced the higher tier the item is. with a low drop rate, and considering most higher tier resources are very rare, most of the resources grown would be in the low to mid tier resources. most of the resources would still come from the wild especially the rarest ones. people would have to choose weather to build a building or grow some resources, thats why i was saying the size of it should be equal to a house. the amount introduced via growing would be small but would help fill in some gaps for players. for example i to would put in a boar, but for the hide since boars to me are the hardest to come by T3 resource. this would also add another element to the game, even if small, and thus more content.