Occupations

• Occupations

Victory by combat or by monopoly? 26

The result is only visible to the participants.

Ok. My whole family might be playing Albion when it comes out, but not all of us are hardcore fighters. It would be nice if a non-pvp player could, for instance, own a tavern that players could go to heal up, or a weapon shop, or something that doesn't involve fighting but still gives the same immersive feeling that the rest of the game gives.
    The Developers have introduced such things as building stations for players to use as a means of crafting, however, They haven't brought an actual shop, with prices and other things like stock. This would be a VERY cool feature to have, as it allows more players to play as some people are averse to violence. ~$$$~ Also, different Types of food, and bar fights would be fun :D. If this feature were added, the world would be more alive, without static prices, and more variety. So anyway, I hope u guys like this comment, and give some thought as to bringing this feature to the game. pce bros

:!: Also, check out the poll I made on Combat or Monopoly, I'm curious as to the results :!:
    "I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times" ~Bruce Lee
  • Hello !

In my mind, Albion Online has the potential to be an "over immersive" world. The PvP and Guild Supremacy systems are awesome !
    But, the thing is, only usefull features are not enough to make The ultimate immersive open world SandBox Game.

Some kind of peacefull taverns around the world, selling beer and allowing some card games (with silver bet) for gamblers would be so great, and add a nice way of life for peacefull/traveller players ;)

Finally, these little things are making the world living, and could attract way more players.

BingBang
  • Now you guys are casuals and care bears - Albion Online is a hardcore PvP game - successor of Ultima Online. Everything in Albion is about fighting and full loot - you need to fight for everything and you need to fight to acquire anything - fighting is the core of the game and everybody should be pushed into red and blackzones where stuff can be taken away in a bink of an eye. There should be no non-pvp activities in the game - since it introduces the notion of safety which is carebearish and spoils the game.
  • They intend to add a shop building to the game. It looks like it is mainly for guild territories and for trading between guilds and alliances within those territories right now though. I personally want to see open world player land again, although more spread out potentially. If they brought open-world building back i could easily see them allowing shops to be built here as well.
  • Wintermute wrote:

Now you guys are casuals and care bears - Albion Online is a hardcore PvP game - successor of Ultima Online. Everything in Albion is about fighting and full loot - you need to fight for everything and you need to fight to acquire anything - fighting is the core of the game and everybody should be pushed into red and blackzones where stuff can be taken away in a blink of an eye. There should be no non-pvp activities in the game - since it introduces the notion of safety which is carebearish and spoils the game.
    I've played UO for a very long time now(Yes I still play on a pre-trammel shard). I understand you're still angry for the creation of Trammel, as is everyone else that ever played the game, but you're being pigheaded about this. Think it through. Without the barneys who is left to PK? Who is there to go kill and steal all the loot from? That's right there is nobody but other hard core pvpers(believe it or not the carebears out number us bro). There needs to be casual things to do like farming, mining, crafting, making shops, taverns, and other things that appeal to them. I do agree there should be the possibility to lose all of their hard earned gear and money, but they need some reason to get all of this stuff in the first place. Think about UO where are the best places to PK people? The Yew shops, the Brit shops, rune libraries, then dungeons like shame or deceit of course? But truly what was more fun that running in and crashing an RP event where a bunch of carebears are standing around in their anniversary clothes in some player made tavern. So I support adding taverns, but only if the zones are fixed there needs to be green, and black no in between.
    If you don't know what you're talking about don't say anything - Me
    All I have in this world is my balls and my word, and I don't break them for no one, you understand? -Tony Montana
  • Hairless_Bear wrote:

Think it through. Without the barneys who is left to PK?
    That's the point, with no safe zones everybody would have to PvP - no safezones means PvP for everybody and everywhere!

Hairless_Bear wrote:

Who is there to go kill and steal all the loot from?
    If there is no place to hide you can kill and steal from anybody and everybody

Hairless_Bear wrote:

There needs to be casual things to do like farming, mining, crafting, making shops, taverns, and other things that appeal to them.
    Nobody argues with this, there definitely should be all these things and they need to happen in unsafe places where farmers, crafters, shoppers and others can be killed and looted.

You are missing the point of hardcore PvP game - you are asking who will there be left to kill and my answer is - everybody - you should never be safe in the world of Albion, any shadow and sound should make you shiver and your guts freeze. Yes there should be all the peaceful activities, but like in real world if you suck at fighting - pay somebody to protect you and fight at your side - as simple as that - player driver economy remember?
  • Wintermute wrote:

Now you guys are casuals and care bears - Albion Online is a hardcore PvP game - successor of Ultima Online. Everything in Albion is about fighting and full loot - you need to fight for everything and you need to fight to acquire anything - fighting is the core of the game and everybody should be pushed into red and blackzones where stuff can be taken away in a bink of an eye. There should be no non-pvp activities in the game - since it introduces the notion of safety which is carebearish and spoils the game.
    Are you sure we're talking about the same game? the game where one core mechanic is to buy a safe island and grow vegetables?
    Having a choice of "career" and being able to do other activities than fighting is one of the big things advertised for albion online.

Wintermute wrote:

Hairless_Bear wrote:

Who is there to go kill and steal all the loot from?
    If there is no place to hide you can kill and steal from anybody and everybody
    You cant kill and still from people that are not playing the game.

Also the debate on the safezones is legit and all, but that's not what the OP was talking about at all.
  • Wintermute wrote:

That's the point, with no safe zones everybody would have to PvP - no safezones means PvP for everybody and everywhere!
    There has to be a safe zone for people to retreat too after they go into the non safe zones to collect resources and other things they need to progress otherwise they aren't going to continue playing the game. In UO when trammel came out what killed the game was the barneys never needed to leave safety of their houses or a city because they were always safe. It prospered before when they were able to be in a safe area then venture out into the world to gather gold and resources(aka when we get to kill them) I agree fully yes, lamers need to be put in situations for us to kill them very often, but if people that don't want to PvP are forced into %100 of the time with no haven they're going to quit the game. In WoW when I was forced to raid to get better gear, I quit I don't enjoy PvE. In ESO the leveling sucked, you couldn't level by pvping you had to run stupid quests and dungeons, I hated that aspect of the game. People don't like being forced into something all the time it is no longer a game, it's work. To keep everybody you have to make it possible for everything atleast.
    If you don't know what you're talking about don't say anything - Me
    All I have in this world is my balls and my word, and I don't break them for no one, you understand? -Tony Montana
  • why does every thread have to be about the same things?

Display Spoiler

Bercilak wrote:

PvP combat plays a huge role in Albion Online. We are always looking at ways in order to encourage and support PvP, without forcing it on people.

Like it or not that is the creative goal and direction they are taking this game.

Now more on topic.
    I don't think any one should be against bar fights or in game poker hands. I agree would add life to the game, if they want to make it a safe zone whatever, they are the brains and ill let them figure it out.

But I would like to see an original game vs poker or liars dice.
  • @HauntingHaunter,

I guess your thread got a little off topic. But I'll try to bring it back!

I completely agree with Dobby, you can't conquer this game without both. Being a billionaire will help you win fights, but without fighting you can't equip the best gear.
    If I had to vote one over the other, I would have to go with Monopoly. I'm going to be starting off the game as a professional leather boot maker as my profession and therefore will be starting with the monopoly side of the game.

I hope people talk about different professions in this thread, including giving examples of what they would like to do in the CB to "make it big"

MasterShev
  • Hairless_Bear wrote:

There has to be a safe zone for people
    You are missing the point, once again - this is a full loot hardcore pvp game, if you want to be save - grow some and learn to play or pay somebody to guard you - support development of internal economy. All these - "need safety zones to return to" - are weak excuses from those who want to turn this game into WoW - with instances and safe zones and daily quests. This game is about playing smart - why would you need a safe zone first of all? because you can't fight? Ok - two options - learn to, or get somebody to fight for you - you can pay them silver, craft them something - be useful, play the sandbox
  • Also the poll results so far seem to be really interesting that they are pretty much even. monopoly is ahead currently by 1. Not to mention I found it to be hard question for me to answer.

Ideally you cant win on combat alone, same goes with a monopoly.
    but in my mind with out the gear you likely wont be able to compete.
    yet still I chose combat. based on over all id like "skill" to be the deciding factor rather than farming.

as far as occupations go, I don't see a reason to really just pick one thing to be good at? eventually it looks like you can just craft everything. haven't played and maybe the grind is too long for that through the destiny board, but eventually with enough time wont people get there?

not that they shouldn't in a game like this. just something I was thinking about.
  • Well gosh, thanks guys, I never imagined more responses than this. Anyway, yes the thread got off topic, but that's ok, I like discussion.
    As for the situation, well, AO isn't going to be a game designed solely for the hardcore, that's why I play it. The freedom to choose whether to be a pvp or casual is up to the player himself(herself ;) ). The purpose of this thread was to show what can be with the freedom the devs have blessed the players with, the freedom to build your own path in albion, and be who you always wanted to be in games where it was strict pvp, and constant action. Some players want the quiet life.
    So, again, thanks guys, and I hope to see some heated debates in the future :D
    "I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times" ~Bruce Lee