On Upgradable Islands

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

  • Very cool! Love the idea of upgradable island and NPC laborers.
    I do however have some quick questions:
    Will all type of buildings be available to build as of Level 1, or will some building be available only at higher levels? and will we now need to upgrade the island to be able to upgrade buildings to higher levels?

    Keep up the good work!
    -Ferevus
  • my question on this and I hope some one can enlighten me,

    how this system will prevent people of doing multiple characters with multiple islands AND leave normal/slower or later players without space since we all going to be in one server?

    This is one of the issues that a recent MMO (Archeage) had and made a lot of players to stop playing the game.

    Thanks!
  • Tezari wrote:

    how this system will prevent people of doing multiple characters with multiple islands AND leave normal/slower or later players without space since we all going to be in one server?
    Not sure if you played the summer alpha, but personal island and city buildings are different things. Each player has the potential to have access to a personal island if he has the silver; city buildings would be the one limited by first-come first serve basis.
  • Tezari wrote:

    my question on this and I hope some one can enlighten me,

    how this system will prevent people of doing multiple characters with multiple islands AND leave normal/slower or later players without space since we all going to be in one server?

    This is one of the issues that a recent MMO (Archeage) had and made a lot of players to stop playing the game.

    Thanks!
    Islands are instanced and available to anyone who wishes to purchase them. They aren't fixed positions on the map that are finite in number. They don't exist until you buy them.
  • Zetecua wrote:

    @Pink_Eye ,

    In Bericlak's Closed Beta Roadmap thread:


    Bercilak wrote:

    We will also allow most buildings to be built everywhere - including on player islands.

    Thanks @Zetecua I do remember that, but it is lacking specifics. I ask mainly because commercial plots in cities are seeming less and less relevant. I was just curious if any more information could be divulged. I'll try to wait patiently for the update :)
  • Pink_Eye wrote:

    I ask mainly because commercial plots in cities are seeming less and less relevant. I was just curious if any more information could be divulged. I'll try to wait patiently for the update :)
    City plots are still very convenient if you're not in a guild that has access to every type of building from the get-go. It takes a fair amount of time to bring up buildings to relevant (t4-5) levels, and not all players are willing to do it.
  • Ferevus wrote:

    Pink_Eye wrote:

    I ask mainly because commercial plots in cities are seeming less and less relevant. I was just curious if any more information could be divulged. I'll try to wait patiently for the update :)
    City plots are still very convenient if you're not in a guild that has access to every type of building from the get-go. It takes a fair amount of time to bring up buildings to relevant (t4-5) levels, and not all players are willing to do it.
    Agreed, but why would anyone build one there if there is no cap difference and an ongoing silver upkeep? I guess I don't see why they are economically viable for someone in the long term. It will be harder to make any kind of profit without a competitive cap advantage, silver is becoming less relevant and is very easy to get. I'm sure SI has a work around for this. I'm just curious. I don't want to turn this into something that derails the thread. PM me if you have any insight to share. Thanks.
  • While profit is one motivating factor, please understand that profit is not always the primary motivating factor for all players. Having a build able lot available to the entire player population might be important. Prestige may also be a motivating factor. Lastly, your player island only helps you if you are in the correct city.

    Upgradable islands won't change some of these things.
  • Interesting... but I'd rather see guild islands have some unique buildings (shipyard, fishing cottage etc) with different purpose than just being alternative to guild territories. It's a good step for closed beta/release as there's gonna be lots of new players and guilds, and with limited guild territories, player/guild islands gonna make up for it.

    I'm wondering how the npc-laborers gonna work... will they 'go on a mission' to gather resources, or they will follow us and gather resources nearby? Well, closed beta gonna be full of surprises ;s
  • I like the idea of being able to expand the island as I believe this would have been circumvented by just creating multiple accounts. I too am worried about the relevance of city plots and whether the cost vs profit will be worth it but I will wait for further testing to make that call.

    Does anyone know could you have a personal island connected to one of the towns in the Red Zone ?
  • I like the additions and the ability for people to upgrade their personal or guild islands. However, like many others in this thread, I worry about how this will affect pvp territory and city plots. It seems a lot of changes are being made so that players can effectively leave the open world for a instanced world. I know that you can only upgrade buildings to T5 but with a transmog building, they can basically survive up to T8 with just needing a bit more resources, which depending on the size of the guild could be even easier to attain.


    I am holding my thoughts on the whole system till we can test but these are my concerns. I like the idea of the laborer's as well but wonder if this is effectively taking away the necessity to gather mats from the player to an auto system but again that depends on the yield gathered and the time it takes to collect.

    All in all, very excited to try these systems out and they look like fun. Lets just hope they don't trivialize the open world and player interaction with the open world.