Is it possible to be a successful merchant without being good at pvp?

• Is it possible to be a successful merchant without being good at pvp?

Hi Everyone! I just got a pack and am looking forward to November : )

I am most interested in either crafting things and selling them with the goal of eventually primarily participating in the marketplace. I have not played in the alpha tests yet and was wondering if you have to be a very good pvp player in order to play this type of character. Despite all my efforts in other MMOs, I always seem to get killed in pvp. I am really only interested in crafting/buying/selling things. However, I did read and watch some videos where they mention some much needed higher tier/level supplies and resources will be in really dangerous areas which concerns me. Can anyone elaborate further on this? Some people are just great at pvp and leveling up/combat and I just want to have fun in the marketplace : )

Any info is much appreciated
  • Cornwall wrote:

That makes sense. How about for farming or crafting by specializing on one thing that takes a long time to level up in?
    You can certainly be just a crafter/gatherer in this game but you will need some support. To get to the higher tiers of the crafting you will need high end gathering which you can buy off of the marketplace or have your guild support you in either gathering for you or protecting you while gathering. If you do buy off of the marketplace, you will still need support from your guild in that the silver you will need to purchase these mats is a good amount and the only other way to get silver, short of converting it from the gold, is by killing creatures and obviously the creatures in PVP zones are more lucrative.

Your best bet is to find a guild looking to increase their crafter/gather core group that has the ability to support you. If your interested in doing it solo, some PVP will be required or you can look to merc guilds that will offer protection for a fee.

Specialization is definitely the name of the game, if you don't specialize you'll end up spreading yourself out way too much. This also will require you to look for a guild that can then support you in the other items you need that you won't be able to make cause of specialization.

You can definitely do what you want but you will need others for a bit of support otherwise you'll never be able to keep up in tiers with other crafter/gatherer's.
  • Okey so here is the rundown or more like a rough point summary. A bit of a disclaimer though this is all based on last alpha test and is a rough summary of general ways you can go about being a "Merchant" within Albion Online.

Albion economy is inherently region based this is due to of each city AH being separate from one another.

Region based economy is a thriving trove of free money as long as you are willing to put in the effort and the hours. However on the flipside you cannot make quick profits either perhaps here and there but no a justifiable amount for time spent. This means you can implement a couple of strategies when trying to be a merchant in Albion.

1. Invest, research and identify the global economic trend - are there more cloth users/ leather uses/ bow users ect ect. find out which souls stones are more in demand. In last alpha archers were the shit which means green souls went for more then red & blue ones. This is basically playing the AH like any other mmo. The big upside is that you have a constant profit on which you can sustain and grow your town shops. The downside is by yourself it's a 24/7 AH watch and grind fest + having to actually participate within a large guild to correctly identify the meta. With all AHes on the map you will constantly be in travel from location to location, which is big time commitment that you can be investing somewhere more resourceful. Overall this is a good way to make cash after the economy and the meta has been established all you need to do then is watch for patch notes for any major changes as well as GvG meta swings.
    2. Select a region then communicate with guilds of your chosen region - a good example of this would be "I am in guild Dolphin and we established ourself closest to Oceanmarket" this means you can play similar game as above but skewed to your selected region. For this to be profitable requers you to know what each guild around you are doing, are the making plate over cloth hence stock a lot of plate resources ect. The downside to this is that a lot of guild are made to be run semi self-sufficient hence the profit may come in chunks at the start while the resources are wildly available at beginning of the game. Generally to succeed doing this method is selling high valued crating reagents like souls/runes on the AH. The difficulty is obtaining them at a fair price to begin with. If you want to try this method I suggest farming low tier mats and sell for overpriced amount in transit city auction houses to get you by.
    3. Be the got to guy - this is personally my most favourite. This is a method that is not only most profitable, if done right but, also the one that is encouraged by the developers. Pick a path for example frost staffs and craft only them for the entire beta. Advertise about being the top in that strand of progression like a cheep hooker desperate to feed your kids until people know you and they gradually bump your prices up. Befits include but not limited to huge chunks of money in short periods of time ability to trade for other mats as a form of payment to fuel further progression basically for free and all glorious fame. Downsides have to be on like 24/7 no sleep, mvp redbul,l #no life to be ahead of the curve for first few weeks and if you pick the non meta trait that little amount of people care for *cough* cursed staffs *cough* you may as well gg your future and hope a magic patch buffs your choice.

Like a said this is a general consensus on few paths you can go to be a "Merchant" within Albion. There is other ways like managing shops, rare mat farming, caravanning. I will not go into to much detail here if this post gets enough interest I can make detailed article/guide. Questions and constructed criticism is welcome, grama nazis are not :)
  • Cornwall wrote:

Hi Everyone! I just got a pack and am looking forward to November : )

I am most interested in either crafting things and selling them with the goal of eventually primarily participating in the marketplace. I have not played in the alpha tests yet and was wondering if you have to be a very good pvp player in order to play this type of character. Despite all my efforts in other MMOs, I always seem to get killed in pvp. I am really only interested in crafting/buying/selling things. However, I did read and watch some videos where they mention some much needed higher tier/level supplies and resources will be in really dangerous areas which concerns me. Can anyone elaborate further on this? Some people are just great at pvp and leveling up/combat and I just want to have fun in the marketplace : )

Any info is much appreciated
    yes
  • Thank you everyone for your replies. This is super helpful, I definitely think I'll focus on farming or specializing in one useful thing. I just joined the guild - The Corporation and will be sure to talk to them about getting some support for this. I'm glad this is such a supportive community and can't wait for November : )