What's the deal with new gold price in the shop ?

• Economy
    • What's the deal with new gold price in the shop ?

Higher price of gold in the shop won't exactly make you earn more money because less people will buy it. Or they will buy less. Because of that there will be less gold supply in game which will result in higher price in credits (which is already happening). More people unable to buy premium will cause more people to leave the game.
      I'm not really sure what to think of it.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Unangwata ().

• The gold price goes up, because the premium price goes up and gold prices are tied to premium prices due to the ability to exchange gold for premium.

Premium price increase might indeed cause less people to pay for premium, but I'm sure this isn't new information for the people who made that decision; they figured a higher price would still be able to get more money even if some people stopped paying, otherwise they wouldn't increase the prices by this amount.

I know what I think of it: yes, it's annoying that things get more expensive, but everything is getting more expensive these days so I'm not surprised to see game subscriptions to follow.
    • Trial_hard wrote:

There was so many things people would have spend gold on:

-CD portal always available on player island
      -A worker that does u seeds automatically and waters it configurable
      - A private island guy, just visible to you that u can put in any safe zone city

Etc etc
      This!

a lot of ways to do money.
      pets who get your loots
      name change, just sell name changes dude wtf is wrong with you guys? omg your name is about your reputation and stuff, just make a log on every character where you can see the past names.
      more skins
      sex change
      more forniture itens
      more personalization options
    • Mandulf wrote:

The gold price goes up, because the premium price goes up and gold prices are tied to premium prices due to the ability to exchange gold for premium.

Premium price increase might indeed cause less people to pay for premium, but I'm sure this isn't new information for the people who made that decision; they figured a higher price would still be able to get more money even if some people stopped paying, otherwise they wouldn't increase the prices by this amount.

I know what I think of it: yes, it's annoying that things get more expensive, but everything is getting more expensive these days so I'm not surprised to see game subscriptions to follow.
      They are smart, but not genius. It's not only that some people will stop paying. Some people will leave the game. So overall population will decrease which translates into less popularity of the game that in long term will lower the income,
    • It seems less people able to buy premium will lower the supply of farmed commodities and raise their price. So in time people with premium will make more credits and that will offset current premium price. So, soon farming etc will give more cash.
      Maybe that was SBI aim ?
      I see it already happening like expected.

But still I don't get "sell less for more, instead of sell more for less" tactic. Maybe they want to reduce population ? Server full ?
      Or is it just overlook ?

• New gold prices are a direct result or a side-effect of the increased premium prices, because of how premium and gold are directly connected.

So the question is whether selling cheaper premium to more people brings in more money than selling more expensive premium to fewer people.

To keep it very simple:

Premium income = premium price * amount of premium sold

As amount of premium sold depends on the price (with less people buying at higher price), the resulting graph will be some kind of semicircle with 0 premium income at 0 copies sold at the right (too expensive!), another 0 premium income at a price of zero at the left (too cheap!), positive values in between, and some optimum value somewhere.

I don't have the answer to where exactly that optimum price point is, but there is some optimum price and SBI thinks it exists at a higher premium price than before, even if that results in fewer people paying for premium.

That's why the prices went up. Money.

The post was edited 5 times, last by Mandulf ().

• Mandulf wrote:

New gold prices are a direct result or a side-effect of the increased premium prices, because of how premium and gold are directly connected.

So the question is whether selling cheaper premium to more people brings in more money than selling more expensive premium to fewer people.

To keep it very simple:

Premium income = premium price * amount of premium sold

As amount of premium sold depends on the price (with less people buying at higher price), the resulting graph will be some kind of semicircle with 0 premium income at 0 copies sold at the right (too expensive!), another 0 premium income at a price of zero at the left (too cheap!), positive values in between, and some optimum value somewhere.

I don't have the answer to where exactly that optimum price point is, but there is some optimum price and SBI thinks it exists at a higher premium price than before, even if that results in fewer people paying for premium.

That's why the prices went up. Money.
      Man, that's obvious.

I just am not sure why they raise price and sell less, instead of selling more at lower price.
      The first option may slightly give them more cash or not. While there are sure drawbacks, I think it's a gamble and they now wait and see what happens.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Unangwata ().

• Unangwata wrote:

Man, that's obvious.
      I just am not sure why they raise price and sell less, instead of selling more at lower price.
      The first option may slightly give them more cash or not. While there are sure drawbacks, I think it's a gamble and they now wait and see what happens.

You may say 'it's obvious', but I explained why. SBI has the data to predict that the optimum income is likely at a higher premium price.

Maybe it's because they don't see much growth potential in the playerbase of full loot PvP games (which admittedly is rather niche and will never draw as many players as a mainstream PvE MMO like World of Warcraft), which means that lowering the premium prices won't convince enough new players to suddenly start playing and paying in order to make up for the lost income from lower premium prices.

Maybe they have (many) other reasons.

I don't have the data that SBI has, so I find it a bit useless to doubt a decision that's based on data that we do not have.

All I know is that they probably know better what they're doing than some randoms on the forums like us.
    • Mandulf wrote:

Unangwata wrote:

Man, that's obvious.
      You may say 'it's obvious', but I explained why. SBI has the data to predict that the optimum income is likely at a higher premium price.

Maybe it's because they don't see much growth potential in the playerbase of full loot PvP games (which admittedly is rather niche and will never draw as many players as a mainstream PvE MMO like World of Warcraft), which means that lowering the premium prices won't convince enough new players to suddenly start playing and paying in order to make up for the lost income from lower premium prices.

Maybe they have (many) other reasons.

I don't have the data that SBI has, so I find it a bit useless to doubt a decision that's based on data that we do not have.

All I know is that they probably know better what they're doing than some randoms on the forums like us.
      That's not the answer.

And they have data, yeah, but they can't predict what people do.

All they did is a push into people pocket limit. That will grant short burst of income yeah, because some people will reach their spending potential. But some will leave which means less people playing, less people bringing their friends, less by word of mouth spread, which in long term will lower potential customer number and that's less income in the future than if they do otherwise.

Burst gain vs long term benefits. Considering they do pretty well, they kinda should think forwards lol

All that unless they don't want more population, and prefer certain player base with maximized spending rather than more population. Maybe technical limits since another server option was never a thing

• Unangwata wrote:

That's not the answer.

It is the simple answer: SBI raised the price because they think it will more likely make them more money by having more expensive premium paid by fewer people than having the old premium price with more paying players, otherwise they wouldn't have raised the price.

That's all.

I'm starting to wonder why you raised your question about the price increase in this thread. Is it because you truthfully wanted to know why the price is increased? Because I get the feeling you weren't looking for a useful answer but were merely using the format of 'questioning the increased price' as a way to complain about the increased price.

Sure, you can complain. But say so, so you save me from wasting time trying to help you by answering your question.

The post was edited 3 times, last by Mandulf ().

• Mandulf wrote:

Unangwata wrote:

That's not the answer.

It is the simple answer: SBI raised the price because they think it will more likely make them more money by having more expensive premium paid by fewer people than having the old premium price with more paying players, otherwise they wouldn't have raised the price.

That's all.

I'm starting to wonder why you raised your question about the price increase in this thread. Is it because you truthfully wanted to know why the price is increased? Because I get the feeling you weren't looking for a useful answer but were merely using the format of 'questioning the increased price' as a way to complain about the increased price.

Sure, you can complain. But say so, so you save me from wasting time trying to help you by answering your question.
      Man you got jammed. You keep repeating same thing and ignore other arguments. Beside I'm not asking you selectively, I wonder what people think. And am not interested in your conspiracy theories and my motivation.
    • 'Premium prices went up because SBI wants more money' is a conspiracy theory now?

lol

Anyway, if I sound repetitive it's because I've given my answer before yet you keep somehow ignoring it and claim the opposite without argument. And I'll happily repeat my answer if you keep asking the same question until you've given me a good counterargument to start rethinking my answer.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Mandulf ().

• Unangwata wrote:

This isnt the first time premium/gold prices have raised. It didnt do the game any harm the last time with regard player numbers, and Im sure it wont this time. Pretty sure Stillfront know that, hence the price hike.

And lets be clear .. it isnt SBI raising the prices ... its Stillfront, to claw back on their 120m euro investment
      Midgard
      T8 Fibre, Ore, Hide, Wood & Stone Gatherer
      T8 Gathering Gear Crafter
      T8 Bags & Capes Crafter
    • Mandulf wrote:

'Premium prices went up because SBI wants more money' is a conspiracy theory now?

lol

Anyway, if I sound repetitive it's because I've given my answer before yet you keep somehow ignoring it and claim the opposite without argument. And I'll happily repeat my answer if you keep asking the same question until you've given me a good counterargument to start rethinking my answer.
      You are an idiot. Conspiracy theory was remark about your suggestion about my motivation. Beside that you explained, twice, that gold price is linked to premium price, as if someone doesn't realize something that is obvious. Then you kept repeating same stuff as an argument to several different questions that mentioned something else. Please go comment different post.