Why is it so unclear what you're buying in the shop?

• Why is it so unclear what you're buying in the shop?

So,

I just bought a Mist wolf. Or, I thought it was a Mist wolf. It says so right on the receipt that I got. This is what it said I bought: Mist Wolf - Albion Online Wiki

Only, i's not a wolf. It's a skin. Whatever that means. Why are they so cryptic? Why do they show you a picture of a wolf? It sort of makes you think you're getting the wolf.

It even says: Thank you for buying Mist Wolf. But I ain't getting no wolf. What the f?

And why should I play a game, and pay to play a game, that actively cheats me?

Also: I can't find the link to the Mist wolf anymore. But this is similar. albiononline.com/en/shop/starter-bundles#52

It clearly says you get a horse. A Hell Mare. But now I'm assuming I'm not getting any horse.

The post was edited 1 time, last by LilyBlanche ().

• Why would you want to buy an item anyway, rather than a skin?

You would lose the item on death, while a skin is permanent for your character and can turn every next mount of that type you equip into a Mist Wolf.

I'm glad that the mounts we buy in the store are permanent additions to your account, rather than an item I could buy at the market and lose on death.

By the way, all the armor and mounts in the store are cosmetic skins you show over your real equipment. If you for example buy the paladin armor set it isn't actually protective armor with abilities either, it just modifies how your character looks, just like how the paladin mount changes how your equipped armored horse looks.

Just so you know.

The post was edited 5 times, last by Mandulf ().

• Javier97 wrote:

In game shop you buy only vanity (skin) items, else you get it in game at the market, simple.

Not a good idea to buy items that you might lose at some point anyways, skins are permanent, everything else is more consumable-like

Mandulf wrote:

Why would you want to buy an item anyway, rather than a skin?

You would lose the item on death, while a skin is permanent for your character and can turn every next mount of that type you equip into a Mist Wolf.

I'm glad that the mounts we buy in the store are permanent additions to your account, rather than an item I could buy at the market and lose on death.

By the way, all the armor and mounts in the store are cosmetic skins you show over your real equipment. If you for example buy the paladin armor set it isn't actually protective armor with abilities either, it just modifies how your character looks, just like how the paladin mount changes how your equipped armored horse looks.

Just so you know.
      Hi Javier and Mandulf!

Thank you for your response.

This might all be obvious for you but for me as a beginner it's really not that clear what it is you're buying or what purpose they have. I had for instance no idea that I could lose anything that I had bought in the store upon bying. I do appreciate that you take the time to explain this to me in a coherent manner. My only concern is that it's not made obvious to the player. Would it have hurt the makers of the game to write down in black and white that even though it says "Wolf" and shows an image of a wolf, you're not getting an actual wolf? This is such a shame because I have really enjoyed this game but things like these makes me not want to play. And I get it, maybe these things are super obvious to you but I'm really not used to playing these online games.

Shouldn't it be clear even to me what these things mean? And when I comment on these things, should I be made to look a fool? Some comments in this thread (not your comments) have been very disparaging and unhelpful. In what way will this help people like me play the game? Doesn't Alibion Online and its community want people from all walks of life to play their game and not just a certain segment of the population? I'm a 29 year old female with not that much experience in online gaming. So maybe I'm not the typical gamer (if there is such a type). Nevertheless, I wanted to try this with a friend of mine who is a frequent gamer (he, btw, also thought I would be getting a wolf). The comments in this tread however (again, not specifically your comments) makes me feel like I don't belong and should not be playing this game.

Now, I feel like I can't buy anything because I have no idea what I am getting. If I buy one of the horses in the game (one of the few that are available to me), would I get the actual horse or am I just getting some useless skin? And are these horse better than my current horse? Because if it's all just for show and serves to purpose (say, that the horse can run faster) I really don't see the point of paying 1-2 K of gold. Can someone enlighten me?

Thank you ever so much for your help! <3

The post was edited 1 time, last by LilyBlanche ().

• @LilyBlanche Everything you can buy for appearance or on the albion store is always a skin. This is a good thing because you will never lose it and can use it on all character for the account! I can fix this confusion for you. I will give to you a wolf and then the problem is solved! I sent you a friend request in game and already have for you a wolf! Excellent quality. If you bring to red zone or black zone and die the wolf is gone but your next wolf can use the same skin. Skin is forever!
    • LilyBlanche wrote:

If I buy one of the horses in the game (one of the few that are available to me), would I get the actual horse or am I just getting some useless skin? And are these horse better than my current horse? Because if it's all just for show and serves to purpose (say, that the horse can run faster) I really don't see the point of paying 1-2 K of gold. Can someone enlighten me?

If you buy a horse in the vanity store it's also going to be a skin for your equipped horse, not a horse itself.

Everything in the vanity store is vanity, cosmetics you show over your real equipment, without ingame bonuses as that could give you an unfair advantage over other players who do not wish to spend money in the store.

Why you would spend so much gold on something that only makes your character look different is all up to you.

I've spent some too to get a nice and more unique look for my character. That's the point of these skins: to make your mount stand out from the other mounts of the same type.

I get that the concept may be a bit confusing for a first time player, as a new player myself I didn't realise it myself that it was unclear, but I was already familiar with vanity skins from many other games where the same system exists.

Maybe it could be made a bit more clear in the store that these skins are in fact skins for you mount and armor, not mounts and armor itself. You're not the first with this question.

Anyway, don't get that horse skin if you want to buy a horse! ;)

(Or do get the skin, then equip a horse and show everyone your special horse!)

The post was edited 3 times, last by Mandulf ().

• LilyBlanche wrote:

Hi Javier and Mandulf!
      Thank you for your response.

This might all be obvious for you but for me as a beginner it's really not that clear what it is you're buying or what purpose they have. I had for instance no idea that I could lose anything that I had bought in the store upon bying. I do appreciate that you take the time to explain this to me in a coherent manner. My only concern is that it's not made obvious to the player. Would it have hurt the makers of the game to write down in black and white that even though it says "Wolf" and shows an image of a wolf, you're not getting an actual wolf? This is such a shame because I have really enjoyed this game but things like these makes me not want to play. And I get it, maybe these things are super obvious to you but I'm really not used to playing these online games.

Shouldn't it be clear even to me what these things mean? And when I comment on these things, should I be made to look a fool? Some comments in this thread (not your comments) have been very disparaging and unhelpful. In what way will this help people like me play the game? Doesn't Alibion Online and its community want people from all walks of life to play their game and not just a certain segment of the population? I'm a 29 year old female with not that much experience in online gaming. So maybe I'm not the typical gamer (if there is such a type). Nevertheless, I wanted to try this with a friend of mine who is a frequent gamer (he, btw, also thought I would be getting a wolf). The comments in this tread however (again, not specifically your comments) makes me feel like I don't belong and should not be playing this game.

Now, I feel like I can't buy anything because I have no idea what I am getting. If I buy one of the horses in the game (one of the few that are available to me), would I get the actual horse or am I just getting some useless skin? And are these horse better than my current horse? Because if it's all just for show and serves to purpose (say, that the horse can run faster) I really don't see the point of paying 1-2 K of gold. Can someone enlighten me?

Hi. Some ideas that might help:

Like I said before, for real money (gold) you only get skins. One way you could use to see the difference it's that those are only an image showing your character or mount, now, the actual item has stats you can see.

To clarify, what you buy in the store, you can't lose on death, I was talking about the actual mount you can get for silver in the game market.

Albion it's not an easy game, it is only normal not to understand some concepts first, don't let that ruin the game for you if you enjoy it.

Now, about your concerns on other comments on not being helpful and such, it happens, in online communities, games in particular, there are always people that would comment anyting just to feel superior, not thinking about the person with the problem or concern, you need to learn not to mind them, ignoring ussually works well.

Hope you get that wolf and show off your skin, else contact me in game by Javclau. Good luck on your adventures
    • LilyBlanche wrote:

My only concern is that it's not made obvious to the player
      I don't know, it seems pretty obvious to me.

Let me use an analogy:

When I'm buying a phone case for my phone somehow I happen to know I'll be getting the case only. Although on the package it has a picture with an actual phone, I don't need anyone to tell me that the phone is not included...? I mean it's just common sense, there's no need to state that, is there?

And in the Albion store I think they actually make it pretty clear, much better than in some real-world examples I could come up with
      Images
      • 1.png

951.28 kB, 1,315×757, viewed 58 times
      • 2.png

724.05 kB, 1,086×669, viewed 57 times
    • I agree with the OP. The shop items are poorly explained. I've been playing for 4 days and I bought a horse skin and I knew it was a horse skin for a horse mount. However when I tried to use it found out it was for an armored horse mount not a riding horse mount which obviously I don't have. Wasted purchase and not impressed.
    • The skins need to say in clear terms what the prerequisite is. "This is not a mount. You must own a Direwolf/Armored Horse before you can use this skin." That would have prevented the OP and myself from wasting our money. This is a fact that you're snobbish attitude is ignoring.

Midgard wrote:

The first link you gave literally says un der the description " this mystical skin for your Direwolf mount."

It quite clearly states its a skin.

Midgard wrote:

LilyBlanche wrote:

It's really not that complicated
      indeed
    • Telkwa wrote:

This is a fact that you're snobbish attitude is ignoring.
      When you click on the albion store the initial buy screen says "mount skin". it isnt hidden.

The OP is blatantly angling for a freebie from SBI .. I have no time for that nonsense
      Midgard
      T8 Fibre, Ore, Hide, Wood & Stone Gatherer
      T8 Gathering Gear Crafter
      T8 Bags & Capes Crafter

The post was edited 1 time, last by Midgard ().