Dev Talk: The Mists

• Dev Talk: The Mists

Our last Dev Talk announced the forthcoming Beyond the Veil update, and introduced the Roads of Avalon rework that will be coming with it. In the second Dev Talk taking a closer look at this update, Game Director Robin Henkys introduces a massive and much-awaited feature: the Mists.

Note: This video includes subtitles for all our supported languages.

For a written summary, click here: albiononline.com/news/devtalk-mists

The Beyond the Veil update will be on the Staging server very soon, so keep an eye out for announcements about upcoming external playtests.
    • Please reconsider mounts in the mist. The tougher mounts are not balanced around being dismounted by one player. You will create a play style that is heavily rewarded while being super unfun to other players. Players will wear high damage builds and follow a target around on a tough mount. The target player will not want to risk doing any of the amazing new PvE challenges because if they get low in the fight, the player riding the tough mount will then dismount to fight the player at a huge advantage.
    • I think mounts could be fine, however maybe the mists should effect the mount to cause them to take more damage? Without mounts gathering in the mists would be a terrible experience due to weight restrictions. However people using these mounts will have to dismount to do anything in the mists
      - gather
      - pvp
      - pve

you see in the video dude is solo fighting like 7 mini bosses i can't even imagine the fame of that, you will see a lot of invis ganking to stop people from mounting. Real issue going to be knockback, 4x invis meta with miner boots so no one can die unless they accidentally run into someone else when trying to escape.

bigger concern is the fact they said you can group in solo mists but due to mists (collapsing) you have to keep going to the next zone, thus ur party will break up. Mega alliances sometime = half the server and thus they will always find friends when others won't. Is there anything being put into place to combat?

i keep wondering if duo mists/solo mists are just going to end up being 8.3 fests since there are no IP cap. part of me says yes it will, but at same time it's not like a HG or a CD where you know it's 1 on 1 or 2 on 2. you could easily run into 4-5 people and there a good chance most are going to go after the 8.3.
    • FarmerLee wrote:

Please reconsider mounts in the mist. The tougher mounts are not balanced around being dismounted by one player. You will create a play style that is heavily rewarded while being super unfun to other players. Players will wear high damage builds and follow a target around on a tough mount. The target player will not want to risk doing any of the amazing new PvE challenges because if they get low in the fight, the player riding the tough mount will then dismount to fight the player at a huge advantage.
      Extraordinarily tough mounts will have their health capped so they're not extraordinarily tough anymore. Taking one of these into The Mists would probably be a mistake. :)
    • Didn't expect duo variation.

IDK about mounts. Even simple mounts are hard to dismount solo without specific setup nowadays, but let's say that's the intent.
      How do you exit mists? If you enter in BZ, do you only exit in BZ and by what means? Would solve my earlier concern about potential for safe transporting on mounts that are 100% non-dismountable solo
      • Any region will be consumed by the growing Mists at some point
      So each zone has limited lifetime? Did i understand it correctly?
      • This ensures players cannot band together for long within the Mists, as their groups will always be separated
      Disabling parties and forced friendly fire would ensure that. Zone TTL on the other hand - idk.
      Anyway, earlier it was said there will be friendly fire like in CDs. No word of that in current devlog. Was this reconsidered, or is it just an omission?
    • Fantastic.
      Congrats to all Albion Team for another hard work into a new update.

and my opinion about the duo mists, dps + healer would make this a open world hellgate which seems to be more boring than the hellgate itself.
      please hard cap healers on duo mists.

"Sometimes I really care, sometimes I really don't"
    • Schmellow wrote:

Didn't expect duo variation.

IDK about mounts. Even simple mounts are hard to dismount solo without specific setup nowadays, but let's say that's the intent.
      How do you exit mists? If you enter in BZ, do you only exit in BZ and by what means? Would solve my earlier concern about potential for safe transporting on mounts that are 100% non-dismountable solo
      • This ensures players cannot band together for long within the Mists, as their groups will always be separated
      Disabling parties and forced friendly fire would ensure that. Zone TTL on the other hand - idk.
      Anyway, earlier it was said there will be friendly fire like in CDs. No word of that in current devlog. Was this reconsidered, or is it just an omission?
      You can exit The Mists a number of ways:
      • Leaving immediately by using the portal you came in through (this closes after some time)
      • Leaving through the region's border exits - instead of leading to a different region this sends you back to where you came
      • Journey Back
      • A couple of "other" ways you'll have to discover on your own :)
      Lethal Mists (Black) will of course be friendly fire to everyone outside of your party. Nonlethal Mists (Black) will still require you to flag to be aggressive to others.

MageWarrior wrote:

Fantastic.

and my opinion about the duo mists, dps + healer would make this a open world hellgate which seems to be more boring than the hellgate itself.
      There will be a reduction to healing in all Mists.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Obelis ().

• HSpector wrote:

MageWarrior wrote:

Yeap, reduce healing and boost CC resistance in mists.
      So DPS is going to be the only viable way to play? How about not limiting playstyles?

RIP playing as healer main.

Obelis wrote:

MageWarrior wrote:

Fantastic.

Hopefully not a huge one so solo healers are not viable.
    • Obelis wrote:

Schmellow wrote:

Didn't expect duo variation.

You can exit The Mists a number of ways:
      • Leaving immediately by using the portal you came in through (this closes after some time)
      • Leaving through the region's border exits - instead of leading to a different region this sends you back to where you came
      • Journey Back
      • A couple of "other" ways you'll have to discover on your own :)
      Lethal Mists (Black) will of course be friendly fire to everyone outside of your party. Nonlethal Mists (Black) will still require you to flag to be aggressive to others.

MageWarrior wrote:

Fantastic.

Is there an upper limit to how many players can be in the solo/duo mists?
    • Another thing i just thought of: you'll probably need to iterate on OW in the future.
      Mists will potentially pull off all solo/duo players from plain old OW, since there is the same general range of content available (pve, resources, chests, spheres) but on a level field in terms of pvp. Why would i go out into BZ now (except to find me a mist portal)?

Wonder if that (complete segregation for solo/duos, small and big groups) is the intent.
    • Schmellow wrote:

Another thing i just thought of: you'll probably need to iterate on OW in the future.
      Mists will potentially pull off all solo/duo players from plain old OW, since there is the same general range of content available (pve, resources, chests, spheres) but on a level field in terms of pvp. Why would i go out into BZ now (except to find me a mist portal)?

Wonder if that (complete segregation for solo/duos, small and big groups) is the intent.
      Robin said in the video that the rewards in the Mists will still be inferior to those found in the Black Zones.

I'm assuming that for players with HQs and Territories in the Black Zones it will still be more lucrative to farm there.

Also - the nature of the Mists zones closing over time mean that its not like players will stay in the Mists for long, more like a single trip at a time.
      Gamer Dad. Old enough to know better, much too young to care.
    • Hey! is there any chance to revert the dots combat system or at least limit it to instances like HG/CD ?

"Misc
      Currently DoTs do only put the caster in combat at the point, when the DoT is applied on an enemy, but doesn't refresh the combat timer on each tick for the aggressor. But since the enemy takes damage, the enemy's in combat passive timer is refreshed on each tick. This leads to the caster of the DoT getting out of combat before the player that got hit by the DoT. This will be changed so both players will stay for the same time in combat

• Each tick of a DoT now puts the original caster into combat again (currently they only get into combat on the first application of the DoT)"

many weapons need that extra dmg from DOTS making them unable to remount and chase the victim cause of 6 seconds longer combat, when the victim often has minerwork boots and the whole escape consists of using iron will + minerwork boots
      so ganking people who don't want to fight will be frustrating and clunky, currently we see an open world that mainly relies on ambushes with invis pot instead of being based on active gameplay it is often camp in one place "gathering treasure".
    • Oshien wrote:

CassX wrote:

.4 enchant coming?
      I came looking for more information .... Are we thinking Orange? lol
      Well, Golden, not Orange... but yeah, you'd think so right?

With how SBI has pushed this whole enchantment level and the matching colours over the last couple of years (Group Dungeons, Solo Dungeons, etc) with the highest tier being legendary and golden and the only thing that doesn't match that right now is Weapons/Armors.

Coupled with not the last road map, but the one before where Robin Henkys mentioned a new tier, seems like they didn't wanna go Tier 9 but instead .4, which I like a lot more. But so much to be answered in how you obtain it, is it via gathering? Or through new mobs or rewards from chests, etc? Will it be a +100 IP over .3? If it it obtained via gathering will it be uber-rare?

I hope we get to hear more via a dev talk on this soon as Robin Henky's mentioned in this dev talk that two more are coming.