Dev Talk: Roads of Avalon Revisited

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Dev Talk: Roads of Avalon Revisited

Albion’s next major content update is just around the corner, and we can announce it will be called Beyond the Veil. Today, in the first of several in-depth looks at some of the new features and changes coming with this update, Game Director Robin Henkys introduces some significant improvements to the Roads of Avalon.

NOTE: This video includes subtitles in all our supported languages.

For a written version, click here: albiononline.com/news/devtalk-roads-revisited
    • Hi, we are located in the roads of Avalon and I have a related questions

with this change to maps will hideouts already placed be allowed to relocate within their zone?
      will road portals still spawn with a preference to a single portal and fill in a certain order for an Avalon rest? (ours is north east, to north west to south west in that order)
      will existing Avalon rests have their tier changed?

The post was edited 1 time, last by totalwar235 ().

• So, as you reorient roads towards more group play, are you planning to do anything with "solo" objectives such as static solo dungeons and green chests? Will those be gone completely? It would be a logical step to rework objectives completely, but the devlog is unclear on that point
    • Some great changes for The Roads and a lot of the issues have been addressed, which is great! I do have a couple of questions though:

1) No word on transporting abuse via The Roads from Inner Ring Outland zones?

2) Also no resource enchantment rate info for The Roads.

3) And will HQ's get a crafting bonus now you can level them?

4) Will 6 Player Portals only connect with the other 6 Player Portals, same apply to 20 Player Portals?

5) What happens if you're inside The Roads when daily maintenance hits? As you're logged out, do you get hit by the log-out penalty?

6) When the mobs guarding the chests "level up" overtime, will the chests also increase in value?
    • totalwar235 wrote:

Hi, we are located in the roads of Avalon and I have a related questions

with this change to maps will hideouts already placed be allowed to relocate within their zone?
      will road portals still spawn with a preference to a single portal and fill in a certain order for an Avalon rest? (ours is north east, to north west to south west in that order)
      will existing Avalon rests have their tier changed?
      • there will be no relocation for existing hideouts in the Roads
      • most of the roads will only have medium size portals (which have been reduced to have 6 charges at most)
        • the exception will be the special raid zones that can be found between hideout zones
        • the preference for one of the portal slots being the main connection has not changed
      • there will be no change to tiers of any of the existing zones

Schmellow wrote:

So, as you reorient roads towards more group play, are you planning to do anything with "solo" objectives such as static solo dungeons and green chests? Will those be gone completely? It would be a logical step to rework objectives completely, but the devlog is unclear on that point
      • solo (green) and raid (golden) objectives have been converted to group (blue) objective of a similar value
        • by the same logic all objectives in the raid zones have been changed to raid objectives

Robinhoodrs wrote:

Some great changes for The Roads and a lot of the issues have been addressed, which is great! I do have a couple of questions though:
      1) No word on transporting abuse via The Roads from Inner Ring Outland zones?
      2) Also no resource enchantment rate info for The Roads.
      3) And will HQ's get a crafting bonus now you can level them?
      4) Will 6 Player Portals only connect with the other 6 Player Portals, same apply to 20 Player Portals?
      5) What happens if you're inside The Roads when daily maintenance hits? As you're logged out, do you get hit by the log-out penalty?
      6) When the mobs guarding the chests "level up" overtime, will the chests also increase in value?
      • the network has been changed so that the first layer of roads will either connect to the Royal continent or the Outlands, never both
        • that means you'll have to travel at least one layer deeper into the roads to travel from the Outlands back to Royal via the Roads
      • the basic resource enchantment rate has not changed, but you will be able to find resource treasures in the Roads now that will have a higher chance of being enchanted than normal resources
      • Hideouts in the Roads will receive the regular crafting bonuses from leveling them
      • yes, 6 player portals will only ever connect to other 6 player portals, same for 20 player portals
      • if you're are in the Roads when daily maintenance hits you will have a certain amount of time after the servers are back up again to login and resume playing the Roads
      • yes, the chests they're guarding will increase in base value just like chests found in Open World Static Dungeons (though you can still get unlucky with your loot rolls)

PS: the raid zones aren't new zones but have been converted from existing zones that already consisted of mainly raid objectives

The post was edited 1 time, last by Thorn-Delwyn ().

• Thorn-Delwyn wrote:

hat means you'll have to travel at least one layer deeper into the roads to travel from the Outlands back to Royal via the Roads
      Here i'll point out that right now even if you have no royal connection, you often have a bz-to-bz connection with exit to zones adjacent to portal towns, which is almost as safe (like 99% safe if you are moving from royals, because of invis shrine)

The post was edited 1 time, last by Schmellow ().

• how will the log-out mechanic work in relation to the disconnects/drops/black screens?

Especially on mobile, I have disconnect issues, not a new thing in the game but the first thought I had was "how are they going to mitigate that".

Scenario: 1 hour into a road roam, I go back into the house and my phone connects to wifi. I then lose connection. It says I'm already logged in and eventually I get back in. Will I now be hit with the new mechanic?
    • Noreaga wrote:

how will the log-out mechanic work in relation to the disconnects/drops/black screens?

Especially on mobile, I have disconnect issues, not a new thing in the game but the first thought I had was "how are they going to mitigate that".

Scenario: 1 hour into a road roam, I go back into the house and my phone connects to wifi. I then lose connection. It says I'm already logged in and eventually I get back in. Will I now be hit with the new mechanic?
      As long as you log in fast enough (within 15 minutes) you can resume playing in the Roads.
      • The areas between Hideout regions will contain high-value content for large groups
      • Large portals are now exclusive to these ‘raid regions’, while small portals have been removed entirely

These changes should reinvigorate the Roads of Avalon as an area for small group play and independent guilds, providing a variety of PvE and PvP options and rewarding exploration. We hope to encourage new guilds to enjoy this content, and can’t wait to see who makes their home in the Roads.

I did read this now 3 times...small scale for large groups ...what???
    • I have some major concerns for some of the changes posted here, the biggest one being the portal size changes.

If portals are now being limited to 6 man, and hideout 'raid' portals being 20 man that lead to the gold chests, does that mean gold chests will be the same difficulty they were? Or possibly even harder?

If so, this will completely destroy most players ability to get into the roads and do gold chests which is one of my favorite activities in the game. This is because I will be forced to roll with 6 players now and possibly be facing a harder version of the gold chests through 20 man portals.

The only way to effectively do them now would be to live in the roads, which I currently am not doing and don't plan to until road logistic issues are addressed. (which this patch does not)
    • The_Support_God wrote:

@Trial_hard

if i read this right they remove green portals
      so only blue portals in normal roads

and gold portal in roads between HO zones

so small scale in SBI eyes is 7 players but i am pretty sure people will try and fit 14 players into the roads per zone
      so yes 14 players teams = small scale PvP in community eyes
      not my content // besides 7 - 14 is standard not zvz BZ chest, which is Zerg only..and low contest why create more dead content?
    • The green portals aren't only used by solo players. The majority of the open world roamers are those randomly made up groups of 2,3,4 friends playing whatever they want for fun. They usually don't have healer.

These groups can't play in the new Mist, and you are pushing them out of the Avalonian road too, with the removal of green portals, ramping up of mobs strength (to make it challenging for groups).

If the mobs are challenging for groups with healers, then it will be nigh impossible for the 2-4 men random groups. Solo players will go in Mist and Avalon Road will be filled with 7-14 men groups with their own healers. And there's no green portal to separate the two - with or without healer.

Basically, what this update say is "Go f*ck yourself if you don't have a healer"
      Solo/duo player. Potions & food crafter. Transporters.

The post was edited 1 time, last by SpicyPepper ().

• I play this game on GFN which allows me for hourly sessions, meaning the game will be automatically closed within an hour or I have to close it myself to refresh the timer. When I go gathering, I eat a pie and when the effect expires, I find a side place to log out safely, close the game, launch it and continue gathering

The change of kicking loggers from the roads and damaging equipment might be inconvenient to me in this case. I'm happy to hear you want to prevent players from logging out at high-value locations - it may mean I'd be more likely to find replenished high tier resources in Roads of Avalon. I hope I'll get to find portals to Open World to log out safely in time or maybe Solo Dungeons in the Roads will give me enough time to relog.
    • Will 6player portals connect to raid roads, hideout roads, or both?
      And can raid roads and hideout roads have direct connections with roads of their same type? (eg. raid road <-> raid road)

From what we know so far the only way to get 20 people into raid road without waiting 30 minutes is having everyone gear out of a hideout. This also means banking the loot you've made in a raid zone is either a 30 minute wait, journey back, or banking in your HO to transport later. Players with HOs will have a massive advantage in controlling these raid roads, especially if they become 20 player "manditory" (for either pve or pvp) or are dead-end roads.
      Either add 20player connection paths directly from rz/bz or lower gold portals to <=12 charges.
      Idk how roads queuing from the mist city will work yet but it could provide (part of) the solution.

So glad we're finally revamping the best content in the game!
      ~ Kanra
    • changes in the quality of life on very good roads, but nothing will help if you don't change the compositions of rat, it seems to me more a content for rat to make other players hell. Just like it is today in static and World boss dungeons. Do you see anyone doing world boss? Solo rat looting chests. Solo/duo rat looting chests. Since 2016 the same composition has not changed. There goes 6 long years...

Another thing I missed is new things, I see mobs leveling up, crystal spiders, but I don't see new mobs, new dungeons, new classes... I hope it appears in the next dev.

Otherwise I liked it a lot, it seems to me that it will be a place where we will get fights frequently.But I couldn't help but deliver my criticism, because quality of life could appear in any patch, I'd like to see new things like an expansion of races, islands, mobs, stories... anyway....albion is still the best mmo''rpg'' full loot.