Dev Talk: Development Update

• Obelis wrote:

There seem to be a lot of questions here so here's some additional info... :)

Trial_hard wrote:

I really really recommend: no groups, no name tags, no guild tags, no alliance tags outside in mists..

And Friendly fire

This is the only option that I can imagine that it works..

And of course no hideouts, hideouts is the opposite of small groups and solo

If this happens, 8.3 is no issue...even if there is 5 solo enemy t6 players...they will potentially focus the 8.3 treasure chest
      • Grouping will only be allowed when and where we want to allow it...which is virtually never. That part of the video is very misleading. More on that later.
      • As the above is true, the friendly fire question resolves itself as a consequence
      • Player Anonymity is something that's being considered and actually exists in the concept; but to do it right it's not a trivial task...this is something that I'd like to see implemented in a way that's polished, can't be easily circumvented, and is reusable (can be turned on or off wherever we want). It's unclear if this can be done in time, but it's also a candidate for an early patch so it's good to see that requested a few times here.
      • Hideouts wouldn't function in the Mists. Hideouts will remain in the Roads and won't be seen in the Mists.

SpicyPepper wrote:

So only 1 person can go through mist portal, but there's an entire city in that mist, where 20 men gank group can live happily together in there.

I hope that there will be mechanics in place to prevent 20 men hunting party living in that Mist City together and go out together every day.
      • The City doesn't work like that. You won't be able to enter the Mists with a 20 man gank group. It's not "connected." Basically if they attempted this, that 20 man gank group would be placed in 20 different places, and then the group would be dissolved and they'd all be on their own.

Robinhoodrs wrote:

Huge props to the art team on this! The Roads look amazing and that new city?! God damn!

... new weapon line? Mhmm, I look forward to hearing more!
      • Armor...there are other weapon lines planned for later, of course, but they'll be a focal point of a future update. :)

The_Support_God wrote:

Ayi Dream come true

we ask for content SBI delivered

also SBI please make those zones black with full loot
      in the development video those zones are yellow zones
      • There will be lethal full loot PvP (of course)

Quagga wrote:

so the current problem with scouts and domination by HO people who have 20+ in zones for 7 people will not be fixed ?
      on top of that access to HO will be even easier, i.e. what killed the concept of roads gets buff....
      the new city will have HOME options ? if so it will turn into another AFK spot for flat 4 "gankers" instead of playing the role of active gameplay and having the role of organic content.
      • These concerns are some of our specific action points. We'll go into more detail about this soon. Keep an eye out for that info. :)

I think that's all I can say for now...we'll go into way more detail about each individual feature in our upcoming dev talks. Have to save some info for those, after all. :D
      Really optimistic about the fast response to the concerns, and the responses sound good overall.
    • Robinhoodrs wrote:

VseOtlichno wrote:

Trial_hard wrote:

Grouping disabled?
      If we draw conclusions from the trailer - the groups are enabled
      'The Mists' = solo 1v1v1v1vPvE style gameplay by the looks of it, as when you enter a Mists portal anyone using the same portal as you won't be placed in the same area as you. So finding your friends within the Mists would be extremely hard, as I'd expect a large number of these zones to be in the game.
      'The Roads' = What we currently have in terms of player group sizes, not much was said if the way the portals work right now are changing with this update or not, we'll have to wait and see.

So there are TWO different types of portals, solo and group.
      You can still make a duo with a perosn u come by if u wanna gank somebody, some ppl will do everything to get advantage. Making a party within the mists should be disabled.
    • SpicyPepper wrote:

So only 1 person can go through mist portal, but there's an entire city in that mist, where 20 men gank group can live happily together in there.

I hope that there will be mechanics in place to prevent 20 men hunting party living in that Mist City together and go out together every day.
      When leaving the mist city your locating should be random in the roads to prevent city camping. Lets hope SBI somehow manages to fix it. Coz being in group always have advantages.
    • Obelis wrote:

• Player Anonymity is something that's being considered and actually exists in the concept; but to do it right it's not a trivial task...this is something that I'd like to see implemented in a way that's polished, can't be easily circumvented, and is reusable (can be turned on or off wherever we want). It's unclear if this can be done in time, but it's also a candidate for an early patch so it's good to see that requested a few times here.

I'm not sure why people keep requesting Anonymity. I think it's a bad idea for a game like Albion. Our unique names and guild/alliance identifiers allow us to be recognized and become famous or notorious for our in game accomplishments. This is a form of socialization which is a core pillar of Albion. This is why you honor Season winners with a statue in the Conqueror's Hall. Anonymity removes that ability to recognize players and removes that form of relationship from Mists content. With anonymity players become faceless avatars, you could start adding in bots and no one could tell.

I understand that there are potential problems with players sabotaging the solo nature of the mists (although without specific details I'm just speculating). I recommend keeping player names and solving this problem another way, such as:
      • Making guild/alliance members hostile to each other in the mists
      • "Tagging" two players who attack each other such that a third player can't use their abilities to affect the 1v1 until both players are out of combat or one is dead.

I think the facelessness of Anonymity would make mists more like a generic match based multiplayer game, where everyone is playing "together" but really just playing alone and complaining. Not every encounter or every player in the Mists will result in recognition but over time players/guilds can develop reputations and the social graph of Albion can become richer. Anonymity robs us of that possibility.
    • Lanzier wrote:

Obelis wrote:

I'm not sure why people keep requesting Anonymity. I think it's a bad idea for a game like Albion. Our unique names and guild/alliance identifiers allow us to be recognized and become famous or notorious for our in game accomplishments. This is a form of socialization which is a core pillar of Albion. This is why you honor Season winners with a statue in the Conqueror's Hall. Anonymity removes that ability to recognize players and removes that form of relationship from Mists content. With anonymity players become faceless avatars, you could start adding in bots and no one could tell.
      I understand that there are potential problems with players sabotaging the solo nature of the mists (although without specific details I'm just speculating). I recommend keeping player names and solving this problem another way, such as:
      • "Tagging" two players who attack each other such that a third player can't use their abilities to affect the 1v1 until both players are out of combat or one is dead.

I think the facelessness of Anonymity would make mists more like a generic match based multiplayer game, where everyone is playing "together" but really just playing alone and complaining. Not every encounter or every player in the Mists will result in recognition but over time players/guilds can develop reputations and the social graph of Albion can become richer. Anonymity robs us of that possibility.
      Im assuming it wont be completely anonymous in that if you die / kill someone youll find out who it was in kill feed after the fact lol. But i do think the anonymity is needed to make this function at all as a true solo experience. Also cant wait to see what hilarious "secret handshake" meeting bullshit guilds think of "spin in circle 3 times to left then /emote laugh /wink"
    • Lanzier wrote:

Obelis wrote:

stop roleplaying... you have BZ there you can handhold, we want a place for solo players not a place where you will meet someone from an alliance/guild and in 99.9% of cases you will not fight them just team up and 2v1.

The post was edited 3 times, last by Quagga ().

• Obelis wrote:

YeSer wrote:

no mount in mist., you can check the video..the botom of mount A is disabled.
      The gameplay in the Mists is intended to mirror the open world (only much smaller in scale), so mounts are indeed allowed.
      then the reset meta will be - have super long run on boots + mobility and jump on mount..

Have a grizzly or a battle mount for 2000% safe mist gaming..

That's an issue

You potentially need introduce super_mist_only pots that dismount every mount like a t3 horse with a 8.1 poison
    • Anonymity probably isn't necessary. Something as simple as disabling guild/alliance display and the associated "friendly" status might be enough. If you stumble upon your friend or guildmate who's name you recognize? Seems fine. But any inherent political status should be disabled in the Mists. It's like you're in a dream world and only those faces you know mean anything.

@Obelis - Any chance you're able to give any hints on the current plans for crafting in the City in the Mists? Or might we be looking at a "transport only" city?
    • Tanky mounts are only a concern when:
      - your goal is to run away and you can instantly zone to safety (transporting)
      - your goal can be achieved while mounted (farming faction outposts with mount spells)

If all exists from mists require a 10s channel, bringing a 1mil+ mount or expensive cargo is not 100% safety, it's just a gamble that nobody will bother to chase you or ambush at the exit wisp/portal (and you know some people will).

If you come to mists to get value out of enchanted resources and upgraded mobs, you can always be jumped while dismounted on poi, just like in bz.

Curious to see if the journey back spell will work like it does in roads (quick but expensive), or like it does in corrupted dungeons (disabled / very long channel to exit).
      And how the balance between uncatchable riders and unpassable exit campers will be addressed.
    • @Obelis
      The Dev Talk told that a current Road issue will be addressed : The one about no more discovery possible to be made in the road, since valuables spots are now known and statics (not to mention disconnected scouts on it)
      Any more info about how this issue will be addressed ?
      Waiting for it !

Another point not mentioned in the Dev Talk : will you keep the Ava Dungeon into the roads ?