Suicide message change

• Suicide message change

New Albion player here, I've been really enjoying this game for the last couple of days!

In busier towns I noticed a message pop up very frequently:

[Kill player] player_name committed suicide.

To be honest, I think it's a bit tasteless to see messages mentioning people 'committing suicide' all the time while I'm playing a game.

If I understand correctly the use of this message is to indicate someone used the /suicide command to drop their items and respawn at their home location, right? I don't see something bad about seeing that message (I guess it could be useful to see it), but could the message itself be reworded to something equally clear that does not involve mentioning people killing themselves? Others can probably come up with better suggestions, but what about: 'player_name gave up' or 'player_name respawned elsewhere'?

The post was edited 1 time, last by Mandulf ().

• The metaphor for drop items and respawn naked in Albion is "death". And the word for killing oneself is "suicide". There is nothing tasteless about this wording as it is simply the word that describes according to the metaphor what is happening. Do you also have a problem about players "killing" other players? Do you want to see this mechanic removed as well?
      Perhaps take a look at what type of game you are playing and learn to differentiate between IRL and the game instead of forcing your safezone bubble on others.

Also you can simple enable/disable what messages are being displayed in the chat window.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Ferndor ().

• Fighting and killing is fairly common in games and to be expected in a PvP game like this. As such, I see no problem with that at all.

Getting repeated messages about people 'committing suicide' is not and such messages could easily have been written in another way to have the same ingame meaning.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Mandulf ().

• The only way to turn these messages off seems to turn off all messages involving killed players, which I don't think is a good idea to hide.

But if it worked, that would just hide the messages for me, instead of improving these messages for everyone. Surely I'm not the only person who thought 'what the ****' when seeing these messages for the first time ingame?

I get that some people might have grown accustomed to seeing messages about people commiting suicide over the years they've been playing, but imagine yourself new to the game.

The post was edited 3 times, last by Mandulf ().

• Killing in a traditional way has been a core part of many games that involve combat between players and NPCs or players against eachother. It's a common part of games.
      I don't want to hide those messages for gameplay reasons, to be able to keep an eye on who around me is getting killed as that may increase my chances of survival.

People committing suicide is not a core part of most games. And it's shockingly tasteless to see those messages whenever you're simply walking through town as a new player.

Is it really that hard to see a difference?

It's not even that this game needs to give us that message, because all those people are technically doing is that they choose to 'respawn elsewhere'. So why not give us a message that those players 'chose to respawn elsewhere' instead of 'committed suicide'?

The post was edited 4 times, last by Mandulf ().

• I agree with Mandulf. People don't realize how the subject can be dangerous. In a game, it's very normal to kill players, have player kills etc. Considering to kill someone irl is not the same as considering to commit suicide. I'm glad the person Ferndor commenting above has a strong mind in respect to these subjects, but he does lack empathy.

It is quite uncommon to have games normalize or have committing suicide as a regular mechanic and actually calling it that. I believe Albion didn't call it this before.

This isn't the forum to discuss the subject anyway, but it's pretty easy for a dev to call a psychologist, ask about this, and realize it's so much better and easier to just change the wording as Mandulf suggests.

It can be called: Surrender. Pretty easy fix.
    • It's not really something that "triggers" me or anyone. I know of the existence of apathetic humans, that just because they had to deal with their own stuff and made it out more or less successfully (psychologically speaking), then they think everyone else should be the same and no empathy is needed. This small wording detail can make a difference for some people dealing with rl stuff. No big deal for us, but probably a big deal for others. So changing the wording, would not affect you and benefit others.

Anyway, this is just a game feedback forum, just suggestions for devs to improve in the small and big things, where most will never be attended anyway.
    • DAoC had an /rp filter, which allowed users to substitute strings for other combinations of characters. If this were added, then people could choose to ignore the feature, or utilize it to reword any combination of words and letters to something they'd prefer to see.
      Fusionbomb - GM of Morbidly_Obese

T8 Gatherer
      T7 Fishing
      700 Holy Spec
    • Lastian wrote:

I'm glad the person Ferndor commenting above has a strong mind in respect to these subjects, but he does lack empathy.

It is quite uncommon to have games normalize or have committing suicide as a regular mechanic and actually calling it that. I believe Albion didn't call it this before.
      I am certainly aware of the sensitivity of this topic. And I understand that some people feel uneasy around such a topic as suicide. Ingame or not. And personally I have real world experience from working in the social sector with people that did self harm and some for which suicide was a topic of concern. I wouldn't recommend playing Albion to any of them.

What I am saying is that Albion should not sugar coat what it is. It is a competitive player versus player game. It is a game of war. And the game of war is played on many layers. (Virtual) Death is part of the game. It is my opinion that it would be a mistake and dishonest if Albion were to hide this part of it's core nature. Killing oneself is a part of the game mechanics. I reject the notion that I lack empathy. Because I see that Albion can trigger a lot of emotional responses in players - even experienced ones I would argue that this game is not the best way to spend time for someone who may be affected by emotional instability or for whom suicide may be difficult topic.

Even if the "suicide" chat message would be named differently. Seeing a player kill his character and drop all his loot may still trigger negative responses in a person that has difficulty in approaching this topic. It really does not matter if you change the wording. Dying is part of the game and people who can not deal with this topic might want to spend their time with more easygoing games.
    • Players getting killed and fighting to death, kill messages or someone killing himself is fine but suicide message is not?

This is an attempt at woke speech policing. I'd like the free speech to remain in the game. And things to be called as they are. Therefore someone killing himself therefore should be called a suicide.
    • Why do woke people ruin everything they touch. It’s like a competition to find the most pathetic thing to get triggered by.

Albion has been a safe space from this retarded woke bullshit, it’s why it’s been so successful.

Literally go play any other game which panders to this retarded bullshit.

It is literally the word for the act. Next you’ll want the word removed from the dictionary in case someone becomes triggered reading the dictionary. People have been using the word for hundreds of years to describe the act, all of a sudden people can no longer tolerate it. Right, ok? If you say so!

Unbelievable!
    • Ferndor wrote:

Lastian wrote:

I'm glad the person Ferndor commenting above has a strong mind in respect to these subjects, but he does lack empathy.

I am certainly aware of the sensitivity of this topic. And I understand that some people feel uneasy around such a topic as suicide. Ingame or not. And personally I have real world experience from working in the social sector with people that did self harm and some for which suicide was a topic of concern. I wouldn't recommend playing Albion to any of them.
      What I am saying is that Albion should not sugar coat what it is. It is a competitive player versus player game. It is a game of war. And the game of war is played on many layers. (Virtual) Death is part of the game. It is my opinion that it would be a mistake and dishonest if Albion were to hide this part of it's core nature. Killing oneself is a part of the game mechanics. I reject the notion that I lack empathy. Because I see that Albion can trigger a lot of emotional responses in players - even experienced ones I would argue that this game is not the best way to spend time for someone who may be affected by emotional instability or for whom suicide may be difficult topic.

Even if the "suicide" chat message would be named differently. Seeing a player kill his character and drop all his loot may still trigger negative responses in a person that has difficulty in approaching this topic. It really does not matter if you change the wording. Dying is part of the game and people who can not deal with this topic might want to spend their time with more easygoing games.
      You are absolutely right.