Crystal Arena has an unhealthy Ranked System

• Crystal Arena has an unhealthy Ranked System

I played quite a few matches in Crystal Arena and I'm sitting at 3000+ RP at the moment. After seeing how the matchmaking and RP system works I came to the conclusion that this ranked system need some more adjustment for the high RP players. Crystal Arena is meant to be well designed but not for this game atleast not for the amount of players that are currently interested in playing it!

This specific content is creating tons of frustration among the players because of the nature of the Ranked system. When people play Crystal Arena they start to care about their placement and progression on the leaderboard. However the matchmaking of this Ranked Arena is really poorly made and takes away from the fun of playing it as a solo / duo / trio because you will get tons of random players with their "off-meta" builds.

One could argue that every team gets the fair share of randomness and it will balance itself out in the long run but thats not the case because the RP system will hold you back even if you win.
      For an average win after you reach Gold I rank you will get 6 points, for a lose you get -16. Of course you get will this many points because of the difference between the RP amount of the players within the match but people who want to progress and play on the highest level will be stuck on this "elo" and have to play frustrating matches tryharding to win enough to even keep their rank.

You need around 75% winrate if you want to climb to Gold II or Crystal. Your best bet is that you get a nice 5 man party and and have 80-90% winrate so you get to the highest rank with around 400 matches.
    • The chances of getting a troll on your team are pretty high in arena's/crystal arena's to be honest. The content isn't worthwhile if your aim is to climb and you don't have a static, that's the position I'm currently in sadly enough
    • solventh wrote:

add solo mmr and party mmr. split win rates into solo win rate, party win rate.

add quick report shortcuts for ppl who leave the party or go afk somehow.
      This is exactly what needs to happen, i have qued hundreds of matches solo que and i think i maybe fought a 5 man group once. There appears to be enough people playing that 5 man and "random" should just have separate que / rating, then you would see a lot more gold + players in solo que and we wouldnt always fight bronze and lose 13+ points every loss.
    • Goltiat wrote:

For an average win after you reach Gold I rank you will get 6 points, for a lose you get -16. Of course you get will this many points because of the difference between the RP amount of the players within the match but people who want to progress and play on the highest level will be stuck on this "elo" and have to play frustrating matches tryharding to win enough to even keep their rank.
      It doesn't have to do with the difference between RP, there is something very wrong. The system is badly designed or broken/bugged at 3000+rp. I have had games going against 2 golds and still lose 16+rp and almost never gain more than 8. I'm on my third time reaching gold as I play solo/duo at 57% winrate. Why is the system valuing my gold status at all. 2950 at gold or at silver should be the same rating, but the points it adds or deducts don't reflect that.

In a good system it should be able to create fair teams for gold and below. IP should be ignored(i hope it is already) as you can switch and does not reflect skill. If it is [1gold+4silvers] vs [1gold+4silver] then it should be 10rp for wins and -10rp for a loss, but I have never seen that. If it cannot find a gold to match you against then the system should be able to make fair teams still ea. [1gold+2bronze+2silver] vs [5silver]. I'm not saying I should be crystal, I just want to gain the same as I lose and, at some point, stagnate at 50% winrate until I improve. Stagnating at 57% winrate is tilting as the system is telling me to win harder or team up and com and never solo/duo.

I know a major flaw(though it may be a design choice) is 5 mans share the same ladder. It would be better to separate the 5v5 ranked score by letting people form teams or clubs of up to 10-15 people and you all share the same RP for your 5v5 team on a separate leaderboard. Another change that would help is duo's and trio's must be mirrored for it to be fair for solos.

Lots of threads have been created, it would be nice to get a DEV blog to explain their thoughts and goals with ranked crystals, and what they are actively working on. I like ranked, and with the number of players invested and being more than halfway through the season I had hoped it would mirror other game's rank systems better.

The post was edited 8 times, last by Yeirmay ().

• Goltiat wrote:

One could argue that every team gets the fair share of randomness and it will balance itself out in the long run but thats not the case because the RP system will hold you back even if you win.

I am reminded of an old Gbay99 video from league of legends. People playing off meta builds or trolling should actually make you climb faster. There are only 4 other teammates you have to worry about, but 5 potential enemies could be trolling/playing poorly. Assuming you are not the problem, odds are in your favor to have the better team. If you queue up as 5 you are going to go against premade teams of 5 with meta builds. That doesn't solve the issue you have with off-meta builds, and is not the problem with the ranking system anyway.

The matchmaking is definitely broken though. Teams of 5 should not queue in the same pool as solo queue players. If there's not enough people to make a separate queue for teams they should remove the ability for parties larger than 3 to queue. Crystal arenas aren't worth it for the majority of the player base when it punishes not having a group.
    • Caelsora wrote:

Goltiat wrote:

I am reminded of an old Gbay99 video from league of legends. People playing off meta builds or trolling should actually make you climb faster. There are only 4 other teammates you have to worry about, but 5 potential enemies could be trolling/playing poorly. Assuming you are not the problem, odds are in your favor to have the better team. If you queue up as 5 you are going to go against premade teams of 5 with meta builds. That doesn't solve the issue you have with off-meta builds, and is not the problem with the ranking system anyway.
      The matchmaking is definitely broken though. Teams of 5 should not queue in the same pool as solo queue players. If there's not enough people to make a separate queue for teams they should remove the ability for parties larger than 3 to queue. Crystal arenas aren't worth it for the majority of the player base when it punishes not having a group.
      I think this is the video you’re referring too?
      AO Quick Reference Guide
      Discord: Grimhawke#9254

• solventh wrote:

add solo mmr and party mmr. split win rates into solo win rate, party win rate.

add quick report shortcuts for ppl who leave the party or go afk somehow.
      This is an interesting solution that I haven't seen yet, but I am fond of the idea for sure.. either way something should be done for Season 2..
      --- Arena Healer Main! Owner of the Albion Arenas Community Discord Server: https://discord.gg/hFsmwCcEvv ---