[19. July 2022] Into the Fray Patch 3

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [19. July 2022] Into the Fray Patch 3

Into the Fray Patch 3 - Ver. 20.030.1 - July 19, 2022

Arena / Crystal Arena Changes

• Improved Rank Point calculations for Crystal Arena to put more emphasis on more quickly getting players into the rank bracket that best reflects their skill level. Players that are too far ahead of the curve in their bracket will now get far more Rank Points per win, regardless of the opponent’s team strength. And players who are not successful enough in their bracket lose Rank Points faster to avoid players' Rank Points overrating their skill level.
      • Improved Crystal Arena Matchmaking to put a higher emphasis on matching players at the same (or close) rank. This change should lead to more enjoyable matches with most players on both teams in similar rank brackets.
      • Reduced Adventurer's Challenge Points gained from Arena losses by roughly 25% (rounded in steps of 50, so actual number may be somewhat higher or lower). This ensures that the Adventurer's Challenge Daily Bonus cannot be completed by only losing one Arena match.
      • Match rewards are now displayed at the end of both Arena and Crystal Arena matches (previously only appeared for Crystal Arena).
      Other Changes
      • Training Dummies now display an extra UI with detailed information when being attacked or healed. The information includes total damage dealt and DPS, or total amount healed and HPS.
      • Reduced restriction on Access Rights after a Headquarters Hideout has been undeclared to 7 days (previously 14).
      • Two major changes have been made to the Journey Back ability's cost calculation:
        • It now uses the average zone modifier for the zones you would have traveled through (previously only took into account the zone you were standing in)
        • It now uses the cheapest route instead of the shortest
        • Because this would overall lead to a decrease in Journey Back costs, it has been counteracted as follows:
          • Increased impact of all zone types (so the average zone modifier is now significantly higher)
          • Increased impact of item value
          • Decreased impact of distance

Fixes
      • Spell fixes:
        • Fixed an issue where after the first cast of Soul Link it would display an outdated tooltip
        • Fixed an issue where the last hit of the Purifying Combination (Fists of Avalon) could hit the same target twice
        • Fixed an issue where Guild Warhorses could not use the Journey Back ability
      • UI fixes:
        • The "OK" button at the end of an Arena match can now be clicked directly in the open "Arena Stats" window
        • Fixed an issue where the Marketplace UI "Completed" tab did not automatically update when orders were filled while UI was open
      • Mobile fixes:
        • Fixed issue where chat would not reconnect after bringing the app back from the background
        • Fixed issue where it was possible to drag target spells that were not ready to cast
        • Fixed issue where fishing started via tapping onscreen could not be continued with Action button
      • Gathering Masteries now include the intended Gathering Speed modifier reward
      • Spring Cottontail, Recruiter's Toad, and Recruiter's Giant Frog can no longer be used in Arena or Crystal League as they have abilities
      • Fixed an issue where Raw T5 and T7 Lurcher gave the same bonuses as T6 and T8 Lurcher Sandwiches - the raw fish now only gives the healing received increase
      • Rare Castle and Castle Outpost chests will no longer reroll their rarity and simply be Rare as intended
      • Fixed issue where mobs summoned by Siphoning Mages would not load
      • Additional graphical, UI, terrain, audio, and localization fixes
    • PrintsKaspian wrote:

Players that are too far ahead of the curve in their bracket will now get far more Rank Points per win, regardless of the opponent’s team strength. And players who are not successful enough in their bracket lose Rank Points faster to avoid players' Rank Points overrating their skill level.
      I made a feedback & suggestions post here: New Matchmaking Feels Impossible to Climb Solo But I wanted to expand a bit more on what I am experiencing and a few other people (I have spoken to) are as well starting at around Gold 1 (3000 rp). I'm not sure how exactly the change above works, but it has created (what I assume is) an unintended effect.

This change heavily discourages anyone to solo queue after they reach the rank above, but I don't think that this rank is necessarily static. A lot of this is conjecture but I'll try to explain what I think is happening while also describing the behaviors I am noticing. It really comes down to the fact that at a certain point, there aren't enough people at a certain rank playing at any given time to make a "fair" lobby when a player at a "high" rank (solo) queues. What I think the +/- RP calculation is doing is seeing if the matchmaking made a "fair" match and then determining the gain/loss based on that. The issue comes in that almost everyone who has reached Gold 1 and up play almost exclusively as a 5 stack. So this means, unless you play at peak times (when maybe you can find some gold players in a 2 or 3 stack, unlikely), solo queuing basically results in every lobby being created as one where the matchmaking has to make an uneven lobby.

This is understandable though. If there are no other players who are available to put in your game at around the same rank as you, inevitably the lobby will have to have, for example, a Gold player with 4 Bronze players against 3-4 Silver players and the rest Bronze. The issue comes in that the calculation at the end for the +/- RP basically treats every game like this as one that the Gold/Crystal/Etc player is expected to win (as far as I can tell). This leads to the results being something similar to 3 wins at, for example, [+5/+5/+6] being equal to 1 loss [-16]. Inevitably, this actively discourages any player at these "high" ranks to ever solo queue should they experience this first hand.

Inherently, I think this system is overestimating the impact 1 player can have on a given random pub team on a given random day. Arguably, this system is not necessarily bad for 5 stack party queues, except in certain edge cases which probably have no good solution. A lot of the variables that you can control when 5 stacking cannot be controlled while solo queuing. But, the current +/- RP calculations treat these as the same.

The result of this, I feel, is that it will limit the progression of a solo player within this system. Once they reach a certain rank, there will be very few (if any) available players to have their risk for a given solo match be worth the reward.

For the record, I can and do play in stacks but would also enjoy solo queuing on occasion when I have time. I would also like to clarify that I have no intimate knowledge on how the system actually works, I can make guesses, but its very likely that I am way off in some regards throughout this post.

Solution:

Why can't wins and losses be worth the same RP? At least for solo queuing that is. If I'm going to risk up to 17 RP per loss shouldn't my reward be about the same? What is the harm in having wins&losses be worth about the same? In the current system, a solo player will be unable to go net positive on RP even if their win/loss ratio is 2:1. I understand that sometimes matchmaking will be unable to create "balanced" lobbies but even in these instances, I feel the effect 1 player has on the result of the game is still heavily limited. Hell, League of Legends and Dota 2 don't have a system this heavy handed and arguably certain roles have a much greater influence on the outcome of those games than in Crystal Arena. Even as a players' rank increases, the lobbies they get will become more imbalanced (understandably) and they will likely have worse teammates if there is no similarly high rank player to put on the enemy team. However, if they are able to maintain an overall positive win/loss ratio despite getting worse teammates and better enemies, what is the harm in them having a net overall gain in RP?
    • why dontchu u smooth out all the other clunky animations like you did with fire? you remove alota hit delays and now its so smooth everything else looks like and plays like grandma made out of playdoh.
      why does the design of iframe-big damage or iframe-big CC appear so frequently in the game?
    • boogiepop wrote:

PrintsKaspian wrote:

Players that are too far ahead of the curve in their bracket will now get far more Rank Points per win, regardless of the opponent’s team strength. And players who are not successful enough in their bracket lose Rank Points faster to avoid players' Rank Points overrating their skill level.
      I made a feedback & suggestions post here: New Matchmaking Feels Impossible to Climb Solo But I wanted to expand a bit more on what I am experiencing and a few other people (I have spoken to) are as well starting at around Gold 1 (3000 rp). I'm not sure how exactly the change above works, but it has created (what I assume is) an unintended effect.
      This change heavily discourages anyone to solo queue after they reach the rank above, but I don't think that this rank is necessarily static. A lot of this is conjecture but I'll try to explain what I think is happening while also describing the behaviors I am noticing. It really comes down to the fact that at a certain point, there aren't enough people at a certain rank playing at any given time to make a "fair" lobby when a player at a "high" rank (solo) queues. What I think the +/- RP calculation is doing is seeing if the matchmaking made a "fair" match and then determining the gain/loss based on that. The issue comes in that almost everyone who has reached Gold 1 and up play almost exclusively as a 5 stack. So this means, unless you play at peak times (when maybe you can find some gold players in a 2 or 3 stack, unlikely), solo queuing basically results in every lobby being created as one where the matchmaking has to make an uneven lobby.

This is understandable though. If there are no other players who are available to put in your game at around the same rank as you, inevitably the lobby will have to have, for example, a Gold player with 4 Bronze players against 3-4 Silver players and the rest Bronze. The issue comes in that the calculation at the end for the +/- RP basically treats every game like this as one that the Gold/Crystal/Etc player is expected to win (as far as I can tell). This leads to the results being something similar to 3 wins at, for example, [+5/+5/+6] being equal to 1 loss [-16]. Inevitably, this actively discourages any player at these "high" ranks to ever solo queue should they experience this first hand.

Inherently, I think this system is overestimating the impact 1 player can have on a given random pub team on a given random day. Arguably, this system is not necessarily bad for 5 stack party queues, except in certain edge cases which probably have no good solution. A lot of the variables that you can control when 5 stacking cannot be controlled while solo queuing. But, the current +/- RP calculations treat these as the same.

The result of this, I feel, is that it will limit the progression of a solo player within this system. Once they reach a certain rank, there will be very few (if any) available players to have their risk for a given solo match be worth the reward.

For the record, I can and do play in stacks but would also enjoy solo queuing on occasion when I have time. I would also like to clarify that I have no intimate knowledge on how the system actually works, I can make guesses, but its very likely that I am way off in some regards throughout this post.

Solution:

Why can't wins and losses be worth the same RP? At least for solo queuing that is. If I'm going to risk up to 17 RP per loss shouldn't my reward be about the same? What is the harm in having wins&losses be worth about the same? In the current system, a solo player will be unable to go net positive on RP even if their win/loss ratio is 2:1. I understand that sometimes matchmaking will be unable to create "balanced" lobbies but even in these instances, I feel the effect 1 player has on the result of the game is still heavily limited. Hell, League of Legends and Dota 2 don't have a system this heavy handed and arguably certain roles have a much greater influence on the outcome of those games than in Crystal Arena. Even as a players' rank increases, the lobbies they get will become more imbalanced (understandably) and they will likely have worse teammates if there is no similarly high rank player to put on the enemy team. However, if they are able to maintain an overall positive win/loss ratio despite getting worse teammates and better enemies, what is the harm in them having a net overall gain in RP?
      This deserves to be its own post. I just started playing again and playing crystal arenas solo queue exclusively. I haven’t gotten to gold rank yet but I can see this future ahead for me.

What do you think is a reasonable win % requirement for a exclusively solo queue player to continue climbing past gold ranks?
      AO Quick Reference Guide
      Discord: Grimhawke#9254

• Grimhawke-EB wrote:

What do you think is a reasonable win % requirement for a exclusively solo queue player to continue climbing past gold ranks?
      I've played more and thought about it more and while when writing the post I would say I was open to the idea that maybe they can make losses worth a bit more than wins I now outright reject that idea. The more and more I play the more and more I realize that the imbalanced lobbies it creates when there is a gold solo player are hardly ever in the gold players favor. The idea that the average lobbies that are made with gold solo players are "easy wins" as the +/- RP would have you believe are laughable. The majority of the time lopsided matches are lopsided against your team and the few times they are in your favor are due to other uncontrollable factors that arise from starting players at 0 RP (i.e. a player well versed in PVP has an actual rank of maybe high Silver 2 or Gold, but because they don't play arenas much their current rank is Bronze).

In general, wins and losses should be worth about the same at all ranks. In extreme cases, I can accept/sympathize with some variation. But, without this constant, SBI has created some very unhealthy side effects within this system that make it mind numbing to experience first hand. For example, did you know you can maintain Silver 1 with roughly a 40% winrate? I didn't think it was possible but I've encountered several players that are able to do so. These players are, by definition, below average players. There's no way you play hundreds (in some cases a thousand games), maintain a 40% winrate, and somehow rationalize that you yourself aren't the one causing you to lose more games than you win. After all, the only constant in all those games is the fact that you are in them. Same with players who hover around Silver 2 with a 45% winrate. I don't think winrate means everything, but if you have a below 50% winrate, you shouldn't be artificially pushed towards the middle of the rankings. This creates a huge variance in the skill level of any random silver player, you can get one that is very skilled and just doesn't play much, or a healer with an inherently flawed build that they never change but plays a lot of games. The fact that wins are worth so much more than losses at low ranks and so much less than losses at high ranks has created a very unhealthy ranked system.
    • the idea that you guys think, seriously, for even a second, that you can create a matchmaking system that correctly matches people's "skill" levels in this game- is so erroneous and delusional its sad.
      There is 0 skill in this game.
      There are q, w, e, 1, 2, d, f - 7 inputs you can make. plus movement. not to mention there is a GCD on the inputs so that the server can keep up with all the bullshit expectations every1 has for "smooth gameplay".
      Think about how many inputs you can make on a guitar, banjo, dribbling a basketball, etc. There is 0 skill in this game, im sorry you have bought into the idea that SBI has sold you, that you have some emotional value in this game, but you dont and you are wasting your time here. the ACTUAL, and QUANTIFIABLE difference between someone in bronze and someone in gold 1- is 0. This game is a time sink that makes you THINK that there is skill, but it is just all knowledge- 0 skill.

So how would one filter knowledge disparities? a quiz on the meta and what is good at zoning, best at dps, best at rdps, best at sticking, best at peeling, best at purging, best at kiting, best at aoe pressure, best at aoe clap, best at single target pressure etc. should be given to the players. BECAUSE. there is not skill in this game. but knowledge. plain and simple.
    • None of what you are saying is relevant to anything I am trying to address in regards to the ranking system. Regardless of whether or not you think there is "skill" involved in a particular activity, the system SBI has created to value the win/loss, +/- calculation within the game is inherently flawed.

Applied to any game that you may think does require skill, this system will fail in the same way. Remove the Albion gameplay out of it and it still doesn't work.
    • boogiepop wrote:

PrintsKaspian wrote:

Solution:

I strongly agree with this message..

I don't know exactly what, but SOMETHING does need to be done about the "Solo Q" experience in Crystal Arenas. This is one Solution that I have seen now that may help one way or another, I myself suggested another solution of increasing the Minimum IP Requirement to join Crystal Arenas all together, and I have read other suggestions as well, but the bottom line is that currently the "Solo Q" experience is a nightmare.

I've tried it and tested it a few times recently again myself just to see if it has gotten any better, and based on my last few matches I have now completely decided to never Solo Q again, which is unfortunate because sometimes I would really like to. I used to be a Solo Q Arena Healer playing Normal Arenas before Crystal Arenas were introduced, and somehow there I was able to manage holding a 75% winrate even as a Solo Q Healer because my healing abilities were impactful enough to make my team generally win in Normal Arenas... but in Crystal Arenas that is not the case.

I am still able to hold a 75% winrate in Crystal Arenas now currently, but only by playing together with a 5man team. My Solo Q winrate I believe is close to 0% in Crystal Arenas, and I don't believe there should be that much of a discrepency. I still think something needs to be done about the matchmaking because the teammates I often get are so completely new to the game that they don't even understand or know about the existence of "Healing Sickness" etc.. for example, which is again why I suggested an increase to minimum IP requirement so that completely new players that are less than 1 week into Albion cannot Que for Crystal Arenas like so many currently are, but at least if RP gains were similar to losses at higher rank as you suggest in the above post it would still help for sure.

More and more skilled players seem to be staying away from Solo Q because of the terrible experience, and therefore I doubt that things will ever improve until some sort of changes are made.
      --- Arena Healer Main! Owner of the Official Albion Arenas Community Discord Server: https://discord.gg/hFsmwCcEvv ---