Fame Distribution Bug & Consequences

• Fame Distribution Bug & Consequences

Dear players,

As many of you have noticed, a bug on June 9th caused Fame to be distributed over several nodes instead of just a single node on the Destiny Board. This bug affected Combat Fame as well as Crafting Fame.

The bug has been fixed with Hotfix 2, however, prior to this fix, there were a number of players attempting to abuse this bug to gain a lot more Fame than they should have gotten in a short period of time.

Specifically: players tried to exploit the opportunity to use massive numbers of Tomes of Insight to level up multiple nodes on the combat trees at once.

We would like to remind players that abusing a bug of this scale falls under section 15.5.4 of our ToS:

Compelling reasons include for example (without limitation):
      • If the User is engaged in cheating, use of bots, financial fraud or severe abuse of bugs.

Of course, we are aware that not all players abused this bug purposefully, as gaining Fame is a normal part of gameplay. So as long as you stayed at your normal day-to-day gameplay value, you have nothing to worry about.

For other players, we will take appropriate steps to mitigate the unreasonable benefits gained from exploiting this bug in the coming days.

Sincerely,

Nesnes & Dev Team
    • It's good to hear that players and accounts who specifically targeted and abused this bug will be sanctioned accordingly.

There were some players on Discord asking questions if they used a few fame books would they be sanctioned as well, I assured them that only people who knowingly abused this exploit would be sanctioned but I'm glad to see an official post made on this topic that I can direct people with questions or concerns to.

Thanks for the update Nesnes!

~ Friendly Neighborhood Wizard
    • Ashoracky wrote:

Server should be rolled back, that's the only solution.
      Agree but realistically it's not going to happen.

The rollback decision should have been made on the first shutdown. It was at that time only 3.5 hours of game progression.

As of now too many things had happened and if they rollback, too much progression on all players would be lost and it would cause an even more serious outrage.
    • Errorman23 wrote:

Ashoracky wrote:

Agree but realistically it's not going to happen.
      The rollback decision should have been made on the first shutdown. It was at that time only 3.5 hours of game progression.

As of now too many things had happened and if they rollback, too much progression on all players would be lost and it would cause an even more serious outrage.
      Just to be sure, do you know what a rollback is? Do you want them to reset all the progress and game time every single player has done since the exploit got abused? Every hour of dungeon farming, PvP, crafting, selling stuff and buying premium?

To do an actual rollback that resolves the issue, they would need to
      1. check their logs for ill-gained fame, which players are affected, which gear they had equipped so they don't take away any fame that was gained legitimately
      2. create a migration to execute the rollback of the ill-gotten fame
      3. deploy it to the testing server
      4. test it
      5. deploy it to the live server
      This takes an immense time and effort and can't just be done within a few hours while all the other stuff from the update was going on.

I think by investigating the biggest exploiters and dealing with them they are doing the most sensible solution, everything else would just take too many development resources. Anyone who demands they "just do a rollback" doesn't know how this stuff actually works.
    • LootGoblin wrote:

Errorman23 wrote:

Ashoracky wrote:

Agree but realistically it's not going to happen.The rollback decision should have been made on the first shutdown. It was at that time only 3.5 hours of game progression.

Just to be sure, do you know what a rollback is? Do you want them to reset all the progress and game time every single player has done since the exploit got abused? Every hour of dungeon farming, PvP, crafting, selling stuff and buying premium?
      To do an actual rollback that resolves the issue, they would need to
      1. check their logs for ill-gained fame, which players are affected, which gear they had equipped so they don't take away any fame that was gained legitimately
      4. test it
      This takes an immense time and effort and can't just be done within a few hours while all the other stuff from the update was going on.

I think by investigating the biggest exploiters and dealing with them they are doing the most sensible solution, everything else would just take too many development resources. Anyone who demands they "just do a rollback" doesn't know how this stuff actually works.
      What you described is not a rollback. A rollback is a simple recover of DB state to a previously stored snapshot.

To perform what you described, they need to check DB commits and audit logs manually and then come up a "calibrated" script and the list of players. Yes you're right that this takes immense time and effort. I agree with most of the things u mentioned, just not sure what's with the loaded question lol. If you have a non-mainstream definition of "rollback", I'm ok with it.

Cheers :)
    • Errorman23 wrote:

LootGoblin wrote:

Errorman23 wrote:

Ashoracky wrote:

Agree but realistically it's not going to happen.The rollback decision should have been made on the first shutdown. It was at that time only 3.5 hours of game progression.
      Just to be sure, do you know what a rollback is? Do you want them to reset all the progress and game time every single player has done since the exploit got abused? Every hour of dungeon farming, PvP, crafting, selling stuff and buying premium?To do an actual rollback that resolves the issue, they would need to
      4. test it

What you described is not a rollback. A rollback is a simple recover of DB state to a previously stored snapshot.
      To perform what you described, they need to check DB commits and audit logs manually and then come up a "calibrated" script and the list of players. Yes you're right that this takes immense time and effort. I agree with most of the things u mentioned, just not sure what's with the loaded question lol. If you have a non-mainstream definition of "rollback", I'm ok with it.

Cheers :)

As I was saying in my first paragraph, I don't think recovering an earlier DB state would be a good solution because it would reset everyone's progress since then, just because there were a couple rich assholes downing tomes like crazy. I played a lot yesterday and made good progress, lots of PvE and PvP. I don't want to be punished. What if I bought premium or anything else during that time? They would have to do refunds for that.

I was trying to emphasize that the "just do a general rollback" is not a sensible solution in this regard, and that the other extreme, most strict solution would be the too time consuming. The solution they now chose is the most sensible one in my opinion.

The post was edited 1 time, last by LootGoblin ().

• I agree that a rollback should have happened during the fix. When it was only 3 hours to be lost.. Now it's not viable anymore..

Why they didn't do, I can only think it was due to a spike on gold sales, the price did take a big drop yesterday. Maybe they didn't want to lose those sales, or the work would be necessary do cancel them would have been to big, or both.

But I'm 100% certain rolling back server at that time would be muchs imples then the amount of work they will have to put to implement whatever punishment they are intending to do.

Hope this is not just a message to make people cool their heads and later on they do a small token punishment just to say something was done.
    • I hope u guys take the action and not just saying. This is so cringe for people who spent lots of time and money on combat and crafting fames. It just discouraged people to continue play Albion online, especially new players that just played for a few months. Last but not least, we all say that u guys are harsh on banning RMT, so do the same to bug abusers.
    • What about the people who made billions of silver by buying books early and selling them after the message that announced the hotfix ? And people who crafted tons of T6 to level their specs ? And people spreading rumors that it was a new distribution system to get artifact weapons easier to level up ?

There is absolutely no way you can make it fair since nothing was announced in 3 hours of playtime and servers were not rollbacked.
    • Deleted user wrote:

What about the people who made billions of silver by buying books early and selling them after the message that announced the hotfix ? And people who crafted tons of T6 to level their specs ? And people spreading rumors that it was a new distribution system to get artifact weapons easier to level up ?

There is absolutely no way you can make it fair since nothing was announced in 3 hours of playtime and servers were not rollbacked.
      looks like there will no consequences for this bug as long as it's not inflict financial lost for devs, meanwhile if they decided to roll back they would have to revert the transaction that had been done during that time. XD

the word fair is not exist in albion

edited after the newest announcement:
      i take back my word, fair indeed exist in albion :)

The post was edited 2 times, last by Alzre ().

• I agree that those who abused a bug on purpose should get punished, but nothing too harsh or serious. Maybe a ban in a duration of how long it takes to level the skills they leveled with a bug, times 5. They leveled up their toons, sbi made some money. Maybe all those extra levels will help the economy in a way. Extra cash will certanly help the company.
    • doesn't want be a toxic, but who's produce the bug are SBI. there's never a compensation to who's injured but there's penalize to who's use it. then where's the silver goes. SBI delete them?
      like the spear w1 bug .. tons of people die in CDs by this bug.. where's the compensation? Who care if the player that abuse it has be banned for x time.. they just want their silver back and the time spend in this game worth?

in this case. bug are benefit by who's used it and the guy that sell all those tome and material , equipment at higher price than normal, then u sanctioned them for selling in market with a higher price?

there's unfair ... the fair solution was rollback the server when its was produced ..1/2hours when u guys noticed this bug.
      but NOW the only think u can do is apologize and give a compensation to all the people . like fame boost for a week. to compensate who's haven't Abused those bug.

bug in programs are inevitable but that does not mean that you are not to blame for everything that happened