The ugly truth about PING in ALBION

• The ugly truth about PING in ALBION

Albion is the only competitive game where I have seen so many top players with horrendous average ping, for example Equart, Mrzaco, Farkturka, etc all play with nearly 200 ping. You would think that with well over a tenth of a second extra delay over NA players it would be hard to compete, but are they really just so amazing at the game that they just play around it or is there something else going on?

If you try and play a game like league or dota with 150ms ping it will be unplayable. You will get your cheddar smoked by anyone even if you are good at the game, because you will have a delay on all your abilities that's equivalent to your ping.

Well I decided to test out Albion using a VPN to make my ping worse and see how things went. What I discovered is disturbing, you have the same exact time to react to everything, you will hit players out of their ambush consistently (because on your client they aren't invis yet), there is NO delay on your end... The one small price you pay is it's harder to land max range skill shots, spear Q range seems seems a hair shorter for example.

PING EQUALIZATION IS BAD FOR THE GAME. I'm sure other players have been hit with skillshots they clearly sidestepped, it used to be much worse but it still happens occasionally. That's because on their screen, they hit you, which is horseshit.

I'm making this thread because im sick of people complaining about my low ping and calling it a crutch. If I wanted a crutch I would intentionally ramp my ping up to Russian levels and play like that from now on and blitz people with royal march. That extra 10th of a second that they don't get to react is the difference between them getting a cleric robe off in time, or getting dunked.
    • This is a fact... High ping in Albion Online works the opposite way other games do. In Albion, If you have a high ping the players with lower ping will have a hard time to catch , aim and skill shoot you.

Interactions between 2 or more players with different pings will always result favoring the lower ping one.
    • BluesJD wrote:

This is a fact... High ping in Albion Online works the opposite way other games do. In Albion, If you have a high ping the players with lower ping will have a hard time to catch , aim and skill shoot you.

Interactions between 2 or more players with different pings will always result favoring the lower ping one.
      myth, it's about combo and using several things at once, like 2-3 spells + res pot you won't be able to do it as fast as a person with low ping, sometimes the spell won't even be used because of lag
    • Got desagree with it.

I play with 150-160 ping usually, and many times I happen to cast a skill, the animation start on my screen and I'm hit with a stun/bob or something that stops it. And the skill/potion dosen't go on cooldown. Because while on my side I clicked the skill before the other person, actually his command reached server faster and server wise I never casted anything.

I noticed it on 2s a lot that I started my Great holy E for example, and the animation start, people start to get boped away and suddenly my cast is canceled the guy teleport back to my side and my skill didn't even go in cooldown. And when watching the replay from my partner pov, my character never started casting the skill on his screen.

Ping matters. It's not game breaking at 200 or lower, but there will be times you lose cause the other player command reached server faster.
    • Have you ever tried to watch ZvZ? You can talk about ping all day but I think the lag problem is deeper than that.

I tend to fish solo @ 180ish ping in BZ. When a guild of 50 comes riding by me it is as if someone turned on a disco ball and a strobe light. Other players flicker and disappear and reappear while they ride past me.

Afaik I am not interacting at all (e.g. not sending any commands to the server) yet the lag is conditionally ferocious.
    • So now you want credit for explaining ping to someone who knows. The egoism here is quite sickening.

Like I said, You can talk about ping all day but I think the Albion lag problem is deeper than that.

I can render 50 entities onscreen in any other game. SBI game client suxxors is the ugly truth imo.
    • BreadPirate wrote:

So now you want credit for explaining ping to someone who knows. The egoism here is quite sickening.

Like I said, You can talk about ping all day but I think the Albion lag problem is deeper than that.

I can render 50 entities onscreen in any other game. SBI game client suxxors is the ugly truth imo.
      I think you are mistaking the ability to render 50 entities, and the ability to handle 50 entities communicating with a server and then the server communicating all of that information back to those 50 people.

In big scrums, the client just doesn't know where certain things are supposed to be all the time. So they stay static. There isn't some advanced machine learning function to carefully estimate unknown coordinates. So until that person updates their location information again. They stay put.

This is where the EVE time dilation comes in. By slowing time down, the servers have more time to collect location data and keep the flow smoother.
      ..QQ _^..^_/ QQ..
      (not to be eaten!)

The post was edited 1 time, last by Piddle ().

• This man's logic is weird. I dont know how your vpn work. I play albion with 270ping. Even if enemy is still on your screen, u still cannot hit them because the final decision is from the server, not your computer. If your are still not convinced, come to some place with the exact ping dont just test on some vpn and make some weird conclusion. Trying hit Q1 of the quarter staff with high ping and u know. IF U HAS THE ADVANTAGE, WELL LUCKY FOR U and now u want to shit talk about other disadvantage?
    • Piddle wrote:

BreadPirate wrote:

So now you want credit for explaining ping to someone who knows. The egoism here is quite sickening.

I think you are mistaking the ability to render 50 entities, and the ability to handle 50 entities communicating with a server and then the server communicating all of that information back to those 50 people.
      In big scrums, the client just doesn't know where certain things are supposed to be all the time. So they stay static. There isn't some advanced machine learning function to carefully estimate unknown coordinates. So until that person updates their location information again. They stay put.

This is where the EVE time dilation comes in. By slowing time down, the servers have more time to collect location data and keep the flow smoother.
      To be fair time dilation starts at what? 250-500 players? We are talking about albion here , it is badlly optimized because in my view the client chokes on 50 players on screen even if you have a nasa pc.
    • JonnnyBones wrote:

Albion is the only competitive game where I have seen so many top players with horrendous average ping, for example Equart, Mrzaco, Farkturka, etc all play with nearly 200 ping.
      As I've said before, you will only feel the different starting from above 200 ping. If you watched Equart, then you will know he also frequently complain on stream when he occasionally get 200+ ping (because of problem on his end)

JonnnyBones wrote:

If you try and play a game like league or dota with 150ms ping it will be unplayable. You will get your cheddar smoked by anyone even if you are good at the game, because you will have a delay on all your abilities that's equivalent to your ping.
      The way Albion and Dota handle ping are different, so you will also be affected differently. If your ping is high in Dota you get delayed, while in Albion you get de-synced. You do not have delay on any of your abilities, you just get desynced.

JonnnyBones wrote:

Well I decided to test out Albion using a VPN to make my ping worse and see how things went. What I discovered is disturbing, you have the same exact time to react to everything, you will hit players out of their ambush consistently (because on your client they aren't invis yet), there is NO delay on your end... The one small price you pay is it's harder to land max range skill shots, spear Q range seems seems a hair shorter for example.

It's indeed true as you've said sometimes the desync work in your favor, but most of the time it works against you. You do not have the exact time to react to everything, especially your defensive skills (with 250+ ping, you can't block / dodge roll claymore E no matter how good you are unless you predict it). There are techs that you cannot do no matter how hard you practice when you have high ping.

"The one small price you pay is it's harder to land max range skill shots, spear Q range seems seems a hair shorter for example." -> This is especially a horrible downside of high ping. You think it's a small price because u are testing it which a spear, which is least affectedt by it because of the long range. The shorter the range of your spell, the more horrible this is. Some example are axes' and swords' AOE Q. When you chase some one with these, sometimes your Q doesn't hit even when you are on top of them. What worse is that it affect dash/jump spell too, meaning you will gain less distance with every jump / dash spell in this game (because you can't cast them at max range). You literally move slower when you have high ping.

JonnnyBones wrote:

I'm sure other players have been hit with skillshots they clearly sidestepped, it used to be much worse but it still happens occasionally. That's because on their screen, they hit you, which is horseshit.
      I'm sure that shit is still better than cannot sidestepped a spell at all because it's already shot out on the enemies screen, but haven't appear on your screen yet.

I'm playing with 250-260 ping. It's playable. I'm having fun. People who complain that high ping make the game unplayable are delusional noobs exaggerating the matters. But ignoring the matter all together and saying having high ping give advantages just make you even more delusional than the first group.

At the end of the day, you can make your ping higher easily with VPN but not the other way around. If it's an advantage then I welcome all those ignorant fools to higher their ping to get that "advantage" they keep saying.
      Solo/duo player. Potions & food crafter. Transporters.
    • Fabrizziou wrote:

Pike/trinity autoattacks even can be benefited by high ping lololol
      Yep that's another weird mechanic I noticed. I was getting hit with autos from insanely far away by some laggy fucko. I know what the spirit spear range is, its kinda my thing...

PaladinoRR wrote:

Got desagree with it.

I play with 150-160 ping usually, and many times I happen to cast a skill, the animation start on my screen and I'm hit with a stun/bob or something that stops it. And the skill/potion dosen't go on cooldown. Because while on my side I clicked the skill before the other person, actually his command reached server faster and server wise I never casted anything.

I noticed it on 2s a lot that I started my Great holy E for example, and the animation start, people start to get boped away and suddenly my cast is canceled the guy teleport back to my side and my skill didn't even go in cooldown. And when watching the replay from my partner pov, my character never started casting the skill on his screen.

Ping matters. It's not game breaking at 200 or lower, but there will be times you lose cause the other player command reached server faster.
      Oh thats fucked, it doesn't even put you on cooldown when you get interupted? With 30 ping I have never had that happen and always gotten my cooldown wasted. That's such horseshit

SpicyPepper wrote:

I'm playing with 250-260 ping. It's playable. I'm having fun. People who complain that high ping make the game unplayable are delusional noobs exaggerating the matters. But ignoring the matter all together and saying having high ping give advantages just make you even more delusional than the first group.

At the end of the day, you can make your ping higher easily with VPN but not the other way around. If it's an advantage then I welcome all those ignorant fools to higher their ping to get that "advantage" they keep saying.
      Yeah I'm not claiming Aussie ping gives you an advantage... but I already did that bro and giving myself 130 ping instead of 30 gives a clear advantage when it comes to bumrushing people with a pike, or using a royal march to bumrush someone. It's lame and I'm not gonna resort to that, but it does work.

TBH its kinda annoying that I even have to get matched with these people in CDs, let these laggy fucks fight each other instead of shitting up my gameplay. Once I realize its a Russian or South American player I literally have to fight them differently.