Dev Talk: Magic Staff Overhaul

• Dev Talk: Magic Staff Overhaul

In our last Dev Talk, Game Director Robin Henkys introduced the upcoming Into the Fray update and gave an overview of its major features, including a major Magic Staff Overhaul. In today's video, he is joined by Combat Designer Michael Schwahn to give more details of this massive, from-the-ground-up rework of this entire weapon line.

Note: This video includes subtitles for all our supported languages.

Read a written summary here: albiononline.com/news/devtalk-magic-staff

Read the full Into the Fray Staging Patchnotes here: Testserver Patch Notes - Into the Fray Update

Into the Fray Combat Balance changes, including new and reworked Staff spells: Balance Changes - Into The Fray
    • I just realize something. you rework the magic staffs but you did not look at their passive abilities.

some of them like holy cast speed, and furious on dps magic staffs are lack luster or unusable cause of better available options

wargloves passive abilities have powerful passive effects
      Embrace the Risk Vs Reward. Do not deny it
      For it will only bring you pain

#RiskVSRewardCult

Currently aiming for 120 on all Armors related to Morningstar Build
    • The_Support_God wrote:

I just realize something. you rework the magic staffs but you did not look at their passive abilities.

some of them like holy cast speed, and furious on dps magic staffs are lack luster or unusable cause of better available options

wargloves passive abilities have powerful passive effects
      Yes, only cursed staff can provide more passive variety, as their "q" does not depend on cast speed.
    • Curious to know what interaction there will be between "circle of life" and the rework of "thorn" on nature staff.
      Currently : If you have 3 or more Thorn Charges active on you, you will root all enemies within the heal radius for 2.32s. Deals XXX magical damage .
      After ? How to Root the Enemy ? Charge on enemies ? Slowed enemies can be rooted ?
    • I notice how they mention that their war gloves are “balanced” when there is one shot war glove builds and dps builds that the targeted player have no chance at all. I see that they say it’s balanced but then go onto change the staffs for reworking them trying to tweak them to be balanced but they have already tried many times before, and I mean other than the curse staff being a bit better for high damage the others don’t have a one shot build, or any form of massive dps builds that never give the targeted enemy a chance. In fact they are a staff that have many uses right now and I don’t really see a problem with them, yeah the look of them is very appealing but I don’t think an entire rework from the ground up is a necessary thing.

And to go on why is it that you seem to word it as this rework is the biggest thing in the Into the Fray updated, you should be focusing on the content of the Mists Of Avalon, I would say a rework of all the staffs from the ground up is both unnecessary and probably will anger a part of the community that have maxed out these staffs which already seem fine and all have a draw back to their current power.
    • ThreeHades wrote:

I notice how they mention that their war gloves are “balanced” when there is one shot war glove builds and dps builds that the targeted player have no chance at all. I see that they say it’s balanced but then go onto change the staffs for reworking them trying to tweak them to be balanced but they have already tried many times before, and I mean other than the curse staff being a bit better for high damage the others don’t have a one shot build, or any form of massive dps builds that never give the targeted enemy a chance. In fact they are a staff that have many uses right now and I don’t really see a problem with them, yeah the look of them is very appealing but I don’t think an entire rework from the ground up is a necessary thing.

And to go on why is it that you seem to word it as this rework is the biggest thing in the Into the Fray updated, you should be focusing on the content of the Mists Of Avalon, I would say a rework of all the staffs from the ground up is both unnecessary and probably will anger a part of the community that have maxed out these staffs which already seem fine and all have a draw back to their current power.
      almost the entire fire tree has a ton of problems, so does arcane
    • ThreeHades wrote:

I notice how they mention that their war gloves are “balanced” when there is one shot war glove builds and dps builds that the targeted player have no chance at all. I see that they say it’s balanced but then go onto change the staffs for reworking them trying to tweak them to be balanced but they have already tried many times before, and I mean other than the curse staff being a bit better for high damage the others don’t have a one shot build, or any form of massive dps builds that never give the targeted enemy a chance. In fact they are a staff that have many uses right now and I don’t really see a problem with them, yeah the look of them is very appealing but I don’t think an entire rework from the ground up is a necessary thing.

Dont you dare ! My only weapon, my most favorite staff Arcane, will rise in this update ( least in the following patches), I've been waiting for 3 years ! For 3 years! For arcane missiles !!! Don't you dare take em away from me.
      Seriously tho, I've been waiting for 3 years for such a rework on arcane skills, and so do others as well. So it is a very needed rework. I want to play smoothly with a rotation, not just spam Q3 and Mimic when they available. I like energy bolt but it sucks, I really have good feeling about arcane in the following patches !
    • Mrpotato wrote:

ThreeHades wrote:

almost the entire fire tree has a ton of problems, so does arcane

Witchermaster0 wrote:

ThreeHades wrote:

Dont you dare ! My only weapon, my most favorite staff Arcane, will rise in this update ( least in the following patches), I've been waiting for 3 years ! For 3 years! For arcane missiles !!! Don't you dare take em away from me.
      Seriously tho, I've been waiting for 3 years for such a rework on arcane skills, and so do others as well. So it is a very needed rework. I want to play smoothly with a rotation, not just spam Q3 and Mimic when they available. I like energy bolt but it sucks, I really have good feeling about arcane in the following patches !

Ok but my point is that there are a good few weapons that can be used for DPS and one shot builds and all of the staffs also have the same thing for them but in the eyes of the devs they are not balanced? Somehow we got things like one shot dagger builds and massive damage death givers, and then you got the fire staffs with meteor, fire tornado, and fire wall, which all seem pretty well balanced and can be used to a extent of a advantage and also depend on how bad your target is.

Also @Witchermaster0 why did you write in my post your complaint lol, just wondering.
    • I faithfully hope that arcane's Q damage is not based on area damage, and that the cast time is not as long as it is, because Arcane has no damage in strong E, it's pretty focused on support, but a lot of people, like me, love this class and want it to be also strong in pvp, and to be respected, not as a full support class, but also feared as some players like tormmac are doing, showing the world that the arcane is dangerous, it needs more speed, more damage, more mobility, I hope they don't make this class obsolete, any more than it already is! ;( ;( ;( ;(
    • I was hoping that Warlock/Curse finally got a summon ability like the Morgana NPC's have, they get to summon an imp that deals DoTs explodes in AoE when it dies, that would be cool to have on an E.

Give warlocks their demons! :P
      I play Albion for the plot. (.)(.)
      ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

The post was edited 1 time, last by Good_vs_Evil ().

• VseOtlichno wrote:

Good_vs_Evil wrote:

summon ability
      Please, no summoning spells in Albion. The server can't handle the load...
      Good vs evil doesn’t really know much about Albion so ye I kinda agree that the server can’t handle it. Legit the guy said Albion is a top notch MMORPG to the world, and then I said then SBI would have to make separate servers if it was in the top MMORPG’s and then he went and said “there is a megaserver for a reason”, man’s don’t even know that the current server is struggling on its own and it’s far from being a “megaserver”. Plus if there were smaller servers then the game wouldn’t have as many problems with to many players.
    • VseOtlichno wrote:

Good_vs_Evil wrote:

summon ability
      Step your PC/Phone game up my dude. I go into ZvZ's/Faction Warfare with smooth as butter FPS, the only people complaining about server loads are the ones on potato's and old hardware who are scared of dying because of that.
      ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    • ThreeHades wrote:

VseOtlichno wrote:

Good_vs_Evil wrote:

summon ability
      Good vs evil doesn’t really know much about Albion so ye I kinda agree that the server can’t handle it. Legit the guy said Albion is a top notch MMORPG to the world, and then I said then SBI would have to make separate servers if it was in the top MMORPG’s and then he went and said “there is a megaserver for a reason”, man’s don’t even know that the current server is struggling on its own and it’s far from being a “megaserver”. Plus if there were smaller servers then the game wouldn’t have as many problems with to many players.
      Let me stop you right there dude and tell you this account was created August 2015 and I recently linked it to steam so I could start a steam account for Albion and I have another account not linked thats a veteran starter so dont try to "school" me on anything, I have been playing far, far, far longer than you.

How about you just stop trying to spread your misinformation and moronic ideals? I know more about MMO's, PC construction, online servers and about Albion than you and maybe when you finally upgrade your potato pc/android you will be able to wander into BZ so i can take your stuff.
      ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    • Good_vs_Evil wrote:

ThreeHades wrote:

VseOtlichno wrote:

Good_vs_Evil wrote:

summon ability
      Let me stop you right there dude and tell you this account was created August 2015 and I recently linked it to steam so I could start a steam account for Albion and I have another account not linked thats a veteran starter so dont try to "school" me on anything, I have been playing far, far, far longer than you.
      How about you just stop trying to spread your misinformation and moronic ideals? I know more about MMO's, PC construction, online servers and about Albion than you and maybe when you finally upgrade your potato pc/android you will be able to wander into BZ so i can take your stuff.
      you say that but you don’t know the limit of the current server XDD, also my device is fine it’s that SBI is doing nothing about the framework to mobile nor do they want to acknowledge it. Also I use a IOS device not a potato android, even though they can be hacked with a romcom to boost its processing strength, also what misinformation, if you played since the early game then you would know how much better it was back then and what it is like now, still missing the silver zones since they were balanced chest PvP and not super random in rewards.

So if you liked the game back from its 2016 to 2020 days then you would know how bad of a job SBI is doing and messing with the game, at best they could listen to the community. Also like many others iv basically quit the game and just lurking around the forums and seeing the current state of Albion which seems quite bad and has ran off track of its original ideal.
    • ThreeHades wrote:

Good_vs_Evil wrote:

ThreeHades wrote:

VseOtlichno wrote:

Good_vs_Evil wrote:

summon ability
      Let me stop you right there dude and tell you this account was created August 2015 and I recently linked it to steam so I could start a steam account for Albion and I have another account not linked thats a veteran starter so dont try to "school" me on anything, I have been playing far, far, far longer than you.How about you just stop trying to spread your misinformation and moronic ideals? I know more about MMO's, PC construction, online servers and about Albion than you and maybe when you finally upgrade your potato pc/android you will be able to wander into BZ so i can take your stuff.
      you say that but you don’t know the limit of the current server XDD, also my device is fine it’s that SBI is doing nothing about the framework to mobile nor do they want to acknowledge it. Also I use a IOS device not a potato android, even though they can be hacked with a romcom to boost its processing strength, also what misinformation, if you played since the early game then you would know how much better it was back then and what it is like now, still missing the silver zones since they were balanced chest PvP and not super random in rewards.
      So if you liked the game back from its 2016 to 2020 days then you would know how bad of a job SBI is doing and messing with the game, at best they could listen to the community. Also like many others iv basically quit the game and just lurking around the forums and seeing the current state of Albion which seems quite bad and has ran off track of its original ideal.
      "I miss old Albion, DEVs never listen, games dying."

Funny how theres always the same type of person in every game community.
      ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
      • Nature Staffs:
        • Improved solo PvE & PvP experience, with a reworked Thorns spell and a new Bramble Seed spell that knocks enemies airborne; new Rejuvenating Flower multi-part spell grows a flower that can be thrown to a specific spot

Yet again Retroman by some whatever feedback - i quote "healers should not do damage, but stick to healing" the DESIGN GOAL of Improved SOLO PVP is even before the patch goes life put ad absurdum by this statement and the corresponding pre patch "hot fix":

Thorns 40 vs players --> 10
      Thorns 40 vs mobs --> 30

So dear SBI @Korn why you advertise as improved Solo PvP experience while your Balance guy already panics and sets it to a wheelchair solution as worse as before, before the patch even is out?

You should really make up your mind if you want the healer classes do Solo PvP or Not.

I think your faithful players deserve at least fair and open communication..
    • ThreeHades wrote:

VseOtlichno wrote:

Good_vs_Evil wrote:

summon ability
      There probably wouldn’t be enough players to draw from either with multiple servers which would kill the game most likely

One server model is best server model, lag and all.