To crafters out there… how are you making profits?

    • To crafters out there… how are you making profits?

      So I keep hearing how crafting is like most profitable activity once it is specced and leveled. The more I look into it and calculate I just don’t see it. So the best resource return you can get is 47.9% and that figure does increase with spec. I am told that spec increases the quality of the crafted items. Thing is, average player heading into black zone is not willing to pay premium for masterpiece, and price difference between normal and excellent quality is negligible in a lot of cases. For axample, If you buy 320 pieces of ornate cloth(t5) and craft it all into mage robes with 47.9 return, according to my calculations, you should crank out 36 to 38 robes. With the price of cloth, and crafting fees compared to prices of t5 mage robes they all better come out masterpiece quality just to break even. And I just don’t see that many people rocking masterpiece items. So how do people really make money crafting?
    • There's 3 things that very important to crafter.
      1, Black zone crafting
      In some hideout, their return rate without focus can pass 50%
      2, Quantity
      Since the crafting are not limited by daily focus, as long as they keep shipping through black zone, they can craft it all day
      3, buyer
      Only the black market and top ZvZguild can consume such number of supply.

      I didn't even see you mention journal. If u craft with focus and journal in royale city, you don't need the quality to break even.
      I guess that's why you don't see profit in crafting.

      Drunkhog wrote:

      they all better come out masterpiece quality just to break even.
      [/quote]
    • a) Fill journals as you craft - not sure if your formula is accounting for that

      b) Sell your crafts to the black market for extra profit

      c) Optional - craft high level meta zvz gear (cleric robes, knight helms etc) and transport to the rests to sell with a huge markup

      When it comes to selling stuff on the blackmarket, you're correct that quality isn't really relevant. I think crafting excellent / MP is only important for selling Artifact crafts, or if you're one of the guys transporting to the rests

      Black market prices are also consistently pretty crap now because there's a lot of people doing this / running corrupteds from Carleon etc, so profit is less than it was a couple years back. I think focus refining is probably better as a quick and easy money printer now
    • not really making a profit as per se , crafting is kind of broken at the moment , it's gone from hugely profitable to not worth your effort. Gathering or refining makes more. Gankers always talk about how they make easy money but rarely are they rich , they just have big mouths.
    • I don't know if this count as crafting. I just spam max spec alts in Caerleon and spend like 3-4 hours every 2 day just crafting foods & potions with focus
      Solo/duo player.
      Max spec in all staves, hammers, maces, spears, and war gloves.
      Max spec in all head, chest, shoes pieces.
      Max spec potions & food crafter.
    • Sakuris wrote:

      Gankers always talk about how they make easy money but rarely are they rich , they just have big mouths.
      This is so true LoL. With such a functional market inside this game, there's no freaking way you gonna be rich if you don't do anything economically related.
      Solo/duo player.
      Max spec in all staves, hammers, maces, spears, and war gloves.
      Max spec in all head, chest, shoes pieces.
      Max spec potions & food crafter.
    • I used to farm only, did pretty good silver selling raw resources because I thought refining them would never give me any profit wihtout focus because simple maths didnt gave me the numbers. So I decided to make my excel table for resource refining and found that that 36.7% return rate at the end of the day is around 55% and with focus goes up to 80% from the original stack so then made some changes for crafting and a still finding some profitable things with some good output. Also Im still finding what % after recovering input is good profit because have found from 5% (105%) to 83% (183%).

      Also is important to buy crafting materials from buy orders, some days are good somes are terribles. The thing with crafters is that you try to produce in mass, so even if individually changes in prices can might look not so bad it can kill the profit, so you have to be aware of the market price changes of anything you're going to craft in each city to buy as for sell your stuff.

      In your calculations must be the price for each material and the amount of pieces needed to craft one, the tax for refining. How much did you investd in the first stack of craft? After that the only investment you going to do is in crafting tax because those are purely returned resources. So do the maths, there are plenty of stuff that gives profit some more, some lees but there's always something.

      The post was edited 1 time, last by JoelN ().

    • SpicyPepper wrote:

      Sakuris wrote:

      Gankers always talk about how they make easy money but rarely are they rich , they just have big mouths.
      This is so true LoL. With such a functional market inside this game, there's no freaking way you gonna be rich if you don't do anything economically related.
      That's not true. Last season I was earning more than 50-90m a day with 5-6 players together in the Black Zone.
      We often wore 8.1+ gear and not a T4 flat, that's the difference. We also defeated Fight Groups.
    • Crafting profit is now relegated to BZ HOs. As others have said no focus crafting can get return rates over 50% with focus crafting over 70%. City crafting is unprofitable and is likely to stay that way thanks to labourers nerf. Depending upon what random "crafting buffs" the next patch has, it is unlikely to revitalise city crafting.
    • Triky313 wrote:

      SpicyPepper wrote:

      This is so true LoL. With such a functional market inside this game, there's no freaking way you gonna be rich if you don't do anything economically related.
      That's not true. Last season I was earning more than 50-90m a day with 5-6 players together in the Black Zone.We often wore 8.1+ gear and not a T4 flat, that's the difference. We also defeated Fight Groups.
      That is true.

      You are comparing how hardcore you are playing, not the activities themselves. There're casual economic players & hardcore ones, just like casual vs hardcore PvP players.

      You're comparing yourself, a hardcore PvP player, versus casual economic players' standards.

      For someone who play economically to the extent that you play your PVP, 50-60m a day is nothing.
      Solo/duo player.
      Max spec in all staves, hammers, maces, spears, and war gloves.
      Max spec in all head, chest, shoes pieces.
      Max spec potions & food crafter.
    • So, to recap... in order to make profits crafting you need:
      1. Buy resources for crafting via buy orders.
      2. Use laborers that will return some of the resources.
      3. Craft in black zones because they offer rrr better than city with crafting bonus.
      4. Haul crafted items to Carleon & black market.
      That sounds like very involved operation that requires a lot of time. Definitely not a side gig to convert extra focus into silver.