Town Portal - QoL Suggestion (-> see new thread)

• As long as it's well implemented (e.g. not able to use it if just out of combat), how does a teleport home stop anyone from ganking others that are in the middle of a session in the BZ? It just means you can't camp the routes home and actually have to put some effort into finding and catching people. That is the fun part of ganking and actually provides decent content for people farming in the outlands as they have to have their wits about them while they try to avoid getting caught. Camping exits to catch some easy loot is crap content and doesn't deserve the reward for the risk it involves.

Also, you can still camp the routes out, but your rewards will be limited to the gear people take out with them and not the loot also - seems fair to me, for what is a low risk, low skill activity on the ganker's part.

Anyone salty about this change is just sad they won't be able to get these cheap and easy kills in the BZ, not that it'll end black zone ganking in the slightest.
  • Raerovin wrote:

As someone who exclusively enjoys the game as a solo and small group player, I am not a fan of this feature. Let me explain why with a story.

My guild is small, so most often our experience with the game involves roaming both the Outlands and the Roads of Avalon for content. I am in particular very fond of the Roads, so usually I am the one delegated to lead the group whenever a few of us go there.

One day we found ourselves deep in the Roads, pressed against the clock as a portal we used to get here had only a half-hour remaining. Yet we did not falter. Fueled by a loot-driven hunger we ventured deeper and discovered a legendary chest in a blue dungeon guarded by a powerful boss. But our best efforts could not defeat it. I, in my compromising wisdom, did not feel like bringing my healing equipment with me, and as the group’s usual healer this left us at an incredible disadvantage.

We quickly devised a plan: I would travel back, the memory of the path we took still fresh in my mind, and retrieve my healing staff. The others would remain and guard our treasure from interlopers until I returned. But time was my enemy, and every passing second had each of us gripped in anxiety.

Would I not make it in time? Would I be attacked? Would my allies be slain by others in my absence?

Quite fortunately, none of these things came to pass. We triumphed over our enemy and filled our inventory with more loot than we could carry.

But there was one final opponent we had yet to overcome - the road back home. We bounded out with haste, our hearts beating with adrenaline and driving us towards the final portal to safety. No corner was considered safe, us all paranoid that at any moment a villain would dismount us along the way, and our treasures lost.

Eventually, though, we made it back. I cannot tell you how resounding our tales were when we told our guildmates of what happened! It was a great adventure.

Sure, it would have been wonderful to have been able to just teleport back home when we found ourselves challenged against time. It would have made the whole experience more convenient, and certainly safer. But the point I’m trying to make is that by removing this element of the game you're removing a part of the experience.

This feature would not only take away the inconvenience of travel, but it would take away its charm too.
    Cool story bro, but I've another 20 where I've spent a couple of hours working hard to avoid gankers while farming in the BZ as a solo player, just to get ganked on the way home by a handful of people that have just been camping a zone adjacent to the portal for the last 8 hours to catch some cheap and easy loot.
  • Cspar wrote:

Cool story bro, but I've another 20 where I've spent a couple of hours working hard to avoid gankers while farming in the BZ as a solo player, just to get ganked on the way home by a handful of people that have just been camping a zone adjacent to the portal for the last 8 hours to catch some cheap and easy loot.
    Yeah, being able to kill people and take their stuff is kind of the point of the game. That's basically gone now since everyone can just run to a corner of the zone and pop teleport! Kind of weird that people are even excited about something that is going to kill the open-world MMO aspect of this game.
  • Cspar wrote:

It just means you can't camp the routes home and actually have to put some effort into finding and catching people.
    How are you supposed to put "effort" into finding and catching people without a group, though? As someone who plays solo, people can't kill me if I'm on my mount unless they are running very specific pigeonholed builds or in a group. A lot of this is because of how much they've nerfed ganking over the years. So, if this teleport feature now forces groups to run around, wouldn't that just mean that guilds are going to put more of their players into these zones making it even harder for solo players to do anything in the BZ? Scouts that run around and have party members run over to them once they find a person is already a thing and it's likely to be much worse with this feature added.

Cspar wrote:

Anyone salty about this change is just sad they won't be able to get these cheap and easy kills in the BZ

I think it's a bit more complicated than that. I don't like the idea of people spending less time in the BZ by skipping travel times, something that is extremely important to this game and how PvP functions. Let's say this "Journey Back" feature hypothetically creates more 1v1 or 1v2 ganking scenarios. If the majority of people running around are people with empty bags (they will be because everyone with items in their bag is just going to teleport), why would I even bother wasting my time and risking my gear for a chance at taking equipped items, some of which will trash, when I could just go hit mobs now and make more? I may as well run around faction flagged if I want to PvP at that point.

I think it's more likely to get people that already go into the black zone to either go deeper into it or live there, but I don't think this feature is going to do a whole lot in terms of getting players that don't go there to start going. Those players are still going to be terrified of losing their 4.1 set that took them five minutes to farm. That's the biggest reason why people don't go into it.

The post was edited 4 times, last by Gamefreak ().

• Gamefreak wrote:

So, if this teleport feature now forces groups to run around, wouldn't that just mean that guilds are going to put more of their players into these zones making it even harder for solo players to do anything in the BZ? Scouts that run around and have party members run over to them once they find a person is already a thing and it's likely to be much worse with this feature added.

If the majority of people running around are people with empty bags (they will be because everyone with items in their bag is just going to teleport), why would I even bother wasting my time and risking my gear for a chance at taking equipped items, some of which will trash, when I could just go hit mobs now and make more? I may as well run around faction flagged if I want to PvP at that point.

I think it's more likely to get people that already go into the black zone to either go deeper into it or live there, but I don't think this feature is going to do a whole lot in terms of getting players that don't go there to start going. Those players are still going to be terrified of losing their 4.1 set that took them five minutes to farm. That's the biggest reason why people don't go into it.
    1. Why is it a bad thing that there will be more gankers forced to go out into the BZ to find people? That's the proper "cat and mouse" gameplay that people use to justify ganking. It creates interesting content for the people being ganked and those doing the ganking. I enjoy the challenge of trying to avoid people when I'm fame farming the outlands and I enjoy trying to find and catch others doing the same. I dread having to go back at the end of it, because I know every zone near the portal is going to be camped. And like I've said, camping is not good gameplay for either side. It's just a cheap and shitty way to play the game for people that purely get off on taking other people's shit and don't care about the challenge or that the odds are stacked massively in their favour.
    2. They will only be running around with empty bags if you camp the routes into/out of the BZ. Put in the effort to find and catch people in the middle of whatever they are doing, before they choose to go back and their bags won't be empty.
    3. This has no more effect on solo ganking than it does ganking with a group.
  • @Korn
    Are there still plans to rework gathering gear and if so do you have any thoughts? This is relevant to the teleport change as to go out in t7 or t8 gathering gear + tools is a significant initial risk on the front end of your journey NOT mitigated by the teleport. I know a lot of gatherers, myself included who just take a combat set + pork pies + tools into the roads/BZ. It feels way more efficient than gathering gear for a few reasons:

1) You're a less tasty gank target in cheap combat gear. They can't see the T8 tools in your inventory, but T8 gathering gear screams 'GANK ME!' due to the value of the gear itself + knowledge you won't fight back.

2) When in combat gear you can more easily kill upgraded mobs you find while gathering and also take opportunistic PKs (IE third partying fights, a low player fighting a mob, etc.)

3) Gathering gear only helps with one resource type. Especially with the addition of the teleport just gathering every high value node + mob you find and teleporting home becomes *even* more attractive than it is now. Get in and out!

Currently, gathering gear really only feels useful in the YZ or if you're in an alliance with high tier zone coverage where the gank risk is significantly reduced and you're already near a hideout.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Druhran ().

• Vet with over 4 years of experience here, been every single type of player: yellowzone, redzone, gathere in bz, pve farmer in bz, ganker, zvz player, shotcaller, transport guy. That change with the "recall" is bad. Albion was always fun, because it's different. Recently it's beginning to be more and more similar to all other MMORPGs. Those players who die on road to city gonna die anyway. As long as people braindeadly use main roads they will keep on dying, dying and dying, nothing gonna change that. They're not capable of thinking "Hey, it is near portal, there might be gankers. Maybe I'll look for ava road or hug the wall and try to zone while not beeing seen by anyone?". Stop TRYING to make game more fun for idiots and taking away more and more fun from ones, who are able to play this game at decent level.

I'd say that maybe Round Table would change anything.. Well been there, seen that. You don't actualy give an F about that, we've been told after 2 hours of meeting "please hurry up, we wanna finish it" when only ~40% of invited players have spoken.

Stop making this game casual friendly, go back to the good old albion :godbless:
  • Good times from when Albion was brutal. Just need to turn this game into a doll house.

The purpose of this update is to increase the flow of noobs in the BZ, but this is a serious mistake. Noobs will still be ganked because they don't know how to make decisions. Anticipating that there might be a ganker on the road or portal is mandatory.

You don't need this teleportation. Newbies dream of joining BZ, they prepare all the time and they still lack confidence. Placing these newbies in the BZ is the role of the guild and the player himself.

Instead of adding teleport why don't you add new large party dungeons and new world bosses? Have you noticed that the black zone is the copy of the red zone with territories?

Attractions are few. The black zone needs exclusive content.