Town Portal - QoL Suggestion (-> see new thread)

• As someone who exclusively enjoys the game as a solo and small group player, I am not a fan of this feature. Let me explain why with a story.

My guild is small, so most often our experience with the game involves roaming both the Outlands and the Roads of Avalon for content. I am in particular very fond of the Roads, so usually I am the one delegated to lead the group whenever a few of us go there.

One day we found ourselves deep in the Roads, pressed against the clock as a portal we used to get here had only a half-hour remaining. Yet we did not falter. Fueled by a loot-driven hunger we ventured deeper and discovered a legendary chest in a blue dungeon guarded by a powerful boss. But our best efforts could not defeat it. I, in my compromising wisdom, did not feel like bringing my healing equipment with me, and as the group’s usual healer this left us at an incredible disadvantage.

We quickly devised a plan: I would travel back, the memory of the path we took still fresh in my mind, and retrieve my healing staff. The others would remain and guard our treasure from interlopers until I returned. But time was my enemy, and every passing second had each of us gripped in anxiety.

Would I not make it in time? Would I be attacked? Would my allies be slain by others in my absence?

Quite fortunately, none of these things came to pass. We triumphed over our enemy and filled our inventory with more loot than we could carry.

But there was one final opponent we had yet to overcome - the road back home. We bounded out with haste, our hearts beating with adrenaline and driving us towards the final portal to safety. No corner was considered safe, us all paranoid that at any moment a villain would dismount us along the way, and our treasures lost.

Eventually, though, we made it back. I cannot tell you how resounding our tales were when we told our guildmates of what happened! It was a great adventure.

Sure, it would have been wonderful to have been able to just teleport back home when we found ourselves challenged against time. It would have made the whole experience more convenient, and certainly safer. But the point I’m trying to make is that by removing this element of the game you're removing a part of the experience.

This feature would not only take away the inconvenience of travel, but it would take away its charm too.
  • @Korn

There are some flaws in the logic of the original post.

First of all, travel equals content in Albion Online. In many other games this is not the case, so adding teleports does not hurt the integrity of the game. Teleports in Albion take away a lot of potential content.

I think we can all agree that 'running simulator' can be boring. But it's a necessary evil. Without travel we won't be running into each other much anymore. I am glad that you at least consider a lot of restrictions on this feature.

I think you should approach the issue differently;

1) increase mount speed on roads

2) re-think the design of your world maps. Right now all maps are basically highways. Why? You've set yourself up to have this problem by making the world one big net of highways. Why not create a cluster of maps with no roads in them at all? Big wildernesses with densely packed monsters and no easy to travel through methods. Something closer to the beta maps.. or consider the undead world boss zone, but without the surrounding 'highway' that you love to put in every single map.. just make 100% of the map the same as the undead world boss area, but for solo players.

If you add more 'wilderness' maps, then people don't have to travel 10 maps for content.

In my opinion, your suggestion is a game-integrety-breaking solution to a problem you don't need to have.
    www.linktr.ee/FactionDiscords

- All faction discords are available with this link.

https://linktr.ee/FactionSuggestions

- Faction specific suggestions
  • "On the other hand, we expect this change to make the Outlands significantly more active leading to a lot more action overall."
    This statement seems suspiciously like what was said about solo dungeons closing after entry:
    "What does this mean?

In order for mixed PvE / PvP content to work properly, we need to create a balance where running this content solo (that's what solo RDs are for, ultimately) is worth it from a risk vs reward perspective. Only if that's the case will we get an environment where solo RDs are done by a lot of solo players. If that works out, we envision that a far higher number of solo RDs will be done each day compared to right now. And if that's the case, the overall amount of ganking opportunities for players looking for non-consensual PvP can increase as well."

You expected there to be more solo dungeon dives, yet it only got worse from there, I haven't dove a solo dungeon in weeks if not months. You've ruined solo dungeon diving, don't ruin the open world.

Also, let solo dungeons stay open at least in the black zone with a potential anti-zerging debuff kthxbye
    Feels bad when you're bad
  • @Korn

thanks for putting the teleports, I play the game for about 2 years but alone, and I can say that many times I leave the game for this reason, as a faction player....once the bandits are finished you are so far from your city that you simply leave your character on some red map because of how boring it is to return and waste time like 20 minutes, the best update of albion
  • This is a great idea. Forcing gankers to move away from portal zones and look for people who are actually playing rather than returning will be a big improvement to open world PVP dynamics, and risking all the loot you've earned while out and about to people who only have to risk what they're wearing never made much sense from a balance perspective.
  • Derizo wrote:

You expected there to be more solo dungeon dives, yet it only got worse from there, I haven't dove a solo dungeon in weeks if not months. You've ruined solo dungeon diving, don't ruin the open world.

Also, let solo dungeons stay open at least in the black zone with a potential anti-zerging debuff kthxbye
    I do solo dungeons in Roads from time to time. My personal experience is that most times (50%-80%) I get dived while doing those. The main problem is that diving is so much in the divers favor, its not even funny.
    I do get dived doing randoms in BZ, but at a much more resonable level of about 10% of the time. I have no problem doing stuff that involves a risk, but the risk has to be reasonable. Statisicly doing deadly corrupted is less dangerous (and more profitable) than solos that stay open. In corrupted you at least cannot get dived by more than one...
    I am split on the teleport ability. On one hand I like it as it is, but I also know that the current system cuts quite a bit into the time I actually use in BZ, as I always have to head back in good time, as you can easily end up having to run around a lot to find a non camped way home. And if you say, "just log of out there then" I can tell you I have a stupidly bad track record of actully surviving logging back in. You never know what you are logging back into, which is super dangerous.
  • Qual wrote:

I do solo dungeons in Roads from time to time. My personal experience is that most times (50%-80%) I get dived while doing those. The main problem is that diving is so much in the divers favor, its not even funny.
    This really comes down to dodging AOE's and not using your entire skillset on mobs. SBI gave you buff shrines to fight back against divers. In case you're talking about a 3+ man group entering, of course I agree they should be debuffed, but arguing that because a form of content is unbalanced that it should be removed is like saying we should remove CD because the meta sucks, or that we should remove static dungeons because ratting sucks.

Qual wrote:

I do get dived doing randoms in BZ, but at a much more resonable level of about 10% of the time. I have no problem doing stuff that involves a risk, but the risk has to be reasonable. Statisicly doing deadly corrupted is less dangerous (and more profitable) than solos that stay open. In corrupted you at least cannot get dived by more than one...
    The only way you frequently get dove in RZ/BZ is if you deliberately walk away from the entrance, which less than 1% of players do. Most just sit at the entrance for the full 90s and leave if anyone comes in. Even then I have found no success in getting dove, just because the dungeon being open for only 90s decreases the chances of anyone entering a LOT.

Qual wrote:

I am split on the teleport ability. On one hand I like it as it is, but I also know that the current system cuts quite a bit into the time I actually use in BZ, as I always have to head back in good time, as you can easily end up having to run around a lot to find a non camped way home. And if you say, "just log of out there then" I can tell you I have a stupidly bad track record of actully surviving logging back in. You never know what you are logging back into, which is super dangerous.
    The only way I have died to portal gankers is voluntarily, with me trying to fight them. I'm not sure how anyone gets caught by them, especially with the several safety measures SBI has put in place like portal zone entrances being given shield areas and invisibility shrines.
    Feels bad when you're bad
  • Qual wrote:

I do get dived doing randoms in BZ, but at a much more resonable level of about 10% of the time.
    What's your secret? I went through the 40 T8 maps I had in my stash, popping them as soon as I go out in the realmgate in peak EU times, and didn't get dove even once.

I wish I could opt into putting a big sign outside my dungeons saying 'Occupied' and having it stay on the map for 5 minutes.
  • I'm starting to get really worried about the direction this game is heading towards - if these type of changes go trough. While QoL sounds cool, this type of change will delete a huge amount of content from the game. That is my personal opinion and I hope you feel free to disagree.
  • Nausk wrote:

I'm starting to get really worried about the direction this game is heading towards - if these type of changes go trough. While QoL sounds cool, this type of change will delete a huge amount of content from the game. That is my personal opinion and I hope you feel free to disagree.
    Have you checked the dev talk yet ? At min 3.38 it looks like this town portal is tied to your mount and will come with the next big update so talking about this was all nice and good but at the end it never made a difference
  • I'm torn regarding the teleport system. I can see how it might improve or undermine the game. I just hope that if it is the latter, they don't hesitate to remove it and accept an L.

I still believe that one of the main reasons people don't go into the Black Zone is because there is no content that is fundamentally different from the Royals. I would bet that if they released a range of new solo dungs types, new collectibles and rewards that you could only get in the BZ then a lot more people would venture out there.
    Even a white rose has a black shadow.
  • Make it a silver sink. Force players to buy a non-tradeable/lootable token with a CD timer from a TP merchant.

You must carry the token on you to be able to TP; no token, no TP. Once used/activated the token expires and must be re-purchased.

This way at least at least attempts to balance the economy from the silver that would have been lost when returning from BZ.
  • WHIT3ROS3 wrote:

I'm torn regarding the teleport system. I can see how it might improve or undermine the game. I just hope that if it is the latter, they don't hesitate to remove it and accept an L.

I still believe that one of the main reasons people don't go into the Black Zone is because there is no content that is fundamentally different from the Royals. I would bet that if they released a range of new solo dungs types, new collectibles and rewards that you could only get in the BZ then a lot more people would venture out there.
    That's definitely what they should be doing. This game-killing fast travel option is one of the worst ideas they've come up with.
  • And I thought the bubble and outlaw mechanic was complicated.

You can't teleport if you do X or Y or Z and you can only teleport to A if you haven't been to B but if you picked up C you can't teleport. Holy moly my smooth brain can't handle this...

As one of the Redditor's suggested. If SBI's main concern is to fix "horse back simulator" then make all the zones unique with interesting layout and scenery. Some zones will be short-cuts back to town but with riskier cliff like layouts. Other zones are expansive with no choke point but take longer to get back to town.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Pulu ().

• daklajakld wrote:

Nausk wrote:

I'm starting to get really worried about the direction this game is heading towards - if these type of changes go trough. While QoL sounds cool, this type of change will delete a huge amount of content from the game. That is my personal opinion and I hope you feel free to disagree.
    Have you checked the dev talk yet ? At min 3.38 it looks like this town portal is tied to your mount and will come with the next big update so talking about this was all nice and good but at the end it never made a difference
    I mean, it pushes players into passive gameplay (A out in a corner) rather than active (roam through the lands to get where you want). I do understand that mounted gameplay is dull at its current state and should be expanded on - it still makes the open world feel lively, rather than dead - when less players roam the lands.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Nausk ().

• Nausk wrote:

daklajakld wrote:

Nausk wrote:

I mean, it pushes players into passive gameplay (A out in a corner) rather than active (roam through the lands to get where you want). I do understand that mounted gameplay is dull at its current state and should be expanded on - it still makes the open world feel lively, rather that dead - when less players roam the lands.
    Yeah were on the same page here, i was lamenting that this feature was here for open discussion but whatever was said in this thread had probably zero influence
    on the development or if its get in game or not. Albion is drifting into arcade modus, wich is very sad.
  • Bukem wrote:

Qual wrote:

I do get dived doing randoms in BZ, but at a much more resonable level of about 10% of the time.
    What's your secret? I went through the 40 T8 maps I had in my stash, popping them as soon as I go out in the realmgate in peak EU times, and didn't get dove even once.
    I wish I could opt into putting a big sign outside my dungeons saying 'Occupied' and having it stay on the map for 5 minutes.
    No secret he is probably distorting the truth .
  • Albion has always bin a hardcore full loot PVP game. It's the core of the game, this idea is just a weakening of that core. I know you want to do this to try and get more people out in the black zone. but this is not the way to do it. the black zone is about the risk and danger, and this will lower the impact you feel from going there.

your game is not mainstream it will not appeal to everyone, stop trying to make it do that. I really think this is a change that will damage the game in the long run. and it seems like I'm not the only one.

if this is just to lower the amount of dull riding you have to do, make new shortcuts. that jump multiple zones, like a bote that takes to 2 or 3 zones down a river. or underground tunnels that go under 2 maps. maybe they collabs and get remade, randomly so the conditions are not the same, or you pay a small fee to use them.

The post was edited 1 time, last by EskilBagge ().