Town Portal - QoL Suggestion (-> see new thread)

• Quagga wrote:

how can you complain about the transport time when I am able to visit all rest's in BZ within 1 hour..
    nice content, riding for an hour. Even 10 minutes is a long time. It's like waiting in a queue for 10 minutes to get into a match.

Tho I abuse roads for transporting so cannot relate to the tranporting. But I did stop my playstyle of just going out and getting lost, as I cannot stop when I want to.

Quagga wrote:

does their logic of playing the game end at the point where i started there i have to go back ?
    If you play with a group that is playing from a city portal then yes, as you can only relocate once a week.

Quagga wrote:

OW has a problem with gankers and more specifically with the stunlock, instead of fixing the problem you want to cover it with a teleport
    I read your other posts about CC scaling based on the number of hits. Would be interesting to see how the meta would change.
  • Quagga wrote:

I read some of the comments and I wonder if these people really play at BZ. how can you complain about the transport time when I am able to visit all rest's in BZ within 1 hour..
    I think you see the words but don't understand the meaning.
    I believe that the normal distribution of time for albion is 75% content, 25% mount. Now the ratio is about 50/50(This applies to trips to the BZ and Ava). Of the hour spent in albion, I will spend half an hour on the mount.

I think that the developers can add randomized portals to the city you started from, like chests in OW. Home portals differ in duration and the number of people who can use them. Channel 30-60 sec.
    Mr. Clown
  • Hey suggestion

if we allow teleport back can we make it use essences?

similar to how new world did azoth we can use essences as teleport

this would give some use to essences
    Embrace the Risk Vs Reward. Do not deny it
    For it will only bring you pain

#RiskVSRewardCult

Currently aiming for 120 on all Armors related to Morningstar Build
  • VseOtlichno wrote:

Quagga wrote:

I read some of the comments and I wonder if these people really play at BZ. how can you complain about the transport time when I am able to visit all rest's in BZ within 1 hour..
    I think you see the words but don't understand the meaning.I believe that the normal distribution of time for albion is 75% content, 25% mount. Now the ratio is about 50/50(This applies to trips to the BZ and Ava). Of the hour spent in albion, I will spend half an hour on the mount.

I think that the developers can add randomized portals to the city you started from, like chests in OW. Home portals differ in duration and the number of people who can use them. Channel 30-60 sec.
    it won't look like that... it'll be 25% content and 75% nothing...

I want to point out that I am speaking from the perspective of a solo player, as this update is aimed at solo players, the potential PVP content will be even less.

these changes are good for people who are starting out and are mainly doing PVE and spec progress, but then in a few months when they have a spec and are bored with PVE and are looking for PVP, they will come back here and complain...

it seems to me that people are too lazy... HO have already introduced enough casualization and "mobile" gameplay log in, do daily island, 2 rounds around HO zone log out... log back in 2 hrs, do 15 mins round in the zone log off...

now next step is mobile play for the rest of the players... sorry but NO.

every 1-4 zones there are warcamps, you just need to store your loot there, wait for the proper road and transport your loot quickly and safely. profit may not be immediate but that's what the game should be about risk = reward.
    The other thing is the tools... As a person who owns 5x T8 I am not bored between zones, but this is not the fault of the game just the laziness of players who have not invested time in gathering.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Quagga ().

• Quagga wrote:

OW has a problem with gankers and more specifically with the stunlock, instead of fixing the problem you want to cover it with a teleport...
    I dont think they are covering it with this idea, it will only decrease the encounters gankers have with other solo players. But you have a point, stunlock is a problem and should be fixed. 1vX is a problem, that is hard to balance and needs fixing for a long time now.
  • Add more map to blackzone or new continent. Increase the difficulties to have an Hideout. Boost significantly more blackzone loots compare to safe zone. more variety in gameplay and encounters.
    More poeple will want to go blackzone for any activities ganking or pve.

You need to make the game harder and more rewarding. Not easier, Some poeple cry because the game is too hard but the same poeple will quit after when they will realize the game is too easy and boring.

SBI you need to think on the long run. Don't fall in the trap of making your game casual it will kill it.

Now I get that you want to make solo and small group content better and Avalon roads have great potential for it.

1-The roads portals numbers limit are great for that. You can make small cities like rest in the roads. Differents kinds of roads with worldboss, miniboss, You can add some puzzle environnement interaction in it: Random chest spawns too. Why not collect some key in some chest to open special avalonian roads for a very short amount of time ( that other player can acess too) . If you kill somone with that key you can pick it back for you. Make some energy core stuff to bring in some special road location to empower toot or fame of an amount of time...
    2-You can also adds some special portals inside static with a limited number of entrance like 3 - 5 - 8 so averagely same size group can expect to fight averagely same size group in statics. With new exclusive map layout and maybe new monsters.
    3-Also HCE is one of the content of small group and solo player so you need to take care of HCE reward too and make it decent and break the meta to widen gear composition

And you should make the portal realm gate and surronding map and absolute heaven for gankers to gank. Gankers will love it and PVE players will love the feeling of avoiding the gankers. it will make it more exciting for both.

The problem about poeple that cry that the game is too hard is the introduction to the game fundamentals. Change your starting zone with a part where player die learn to regear. That they learn that gear are meant to be a consumable.
    Make quest lines for noobs to go in dangerous area to learn them about lethal area.

This is what u need to do. Not put solo player in 1 man instanced with 0 world interaction or give free teleport to poeple so they don't get gank.

The post was edited 3 times, last by Lhydre ().

• LadyDaisy wrote:

Finally! We do need something like this for gathers, and for transports. There are so many gankers that just sit on entrances to royals, and gank. It sucks. As a gatherer, who goes out for maybe an hour or two, and gathers, this is the reward. We do need this type of transportation. Thank you.
    However: I also see a need for the following:
    You are going to reward gankers?? Is not the fact that they make $$$ enough of a reward???

How about this:

Reward those players who Protect Players: REWARD THOSE WHO KILL REDS. Give rewards for Protection, Honor and Valor
    This way you will also have players who will work to get Fame, and "other rewards" for protecting the innocent, and hard working players of Albion.
    If players gained reward for killing REDS in Royals, and even flagged black zone, then you could also reward those who protect others.
    Killing and stealing is part of the game, but so should Honor, Integrity, Protection. Let the gankers gank, but also let those who which to play with honor also be rewarded, and give them rewards for cleaning the scabs from the entrances of zones. Then more skill, and less gang banging will be required in ganking.

Equart wrote:

Quagga wrote:

@Equart don't you think that adding more and more braindead point and click game mechanics just to artificially pump up the population misses the point? wouldn't it be better to put more tutorials in the game and actually teach these players how to play and show them ways to avoid zergs etc.. with these kind of mechanics people who know how to play just lose content... HO is already easy enough for any person who knows nothing about the game and how to survive just to get to HO as fast as possible and click on it.
    Totally agree , basic game mechanics should be always on first place. Like tutorial , hideouts you mentioned etc.I dont think it will be a huge problem to develope "other features" on top of that. I think SBI have enough human resources , but if im wrong... they should focus only on basic things =(
    I would definitely agree to both of these Ideas with more tutorials and a heroic system, by the way did everyone forget that this is a community built game everyone matters, so with more of a system that lets a group of players fight the people that just continue to kill small solo players and duos. Also with more Tutorials of how the game works and a better way for all platforms at the current moment of release to play on the test server or a separate server with people also learning the game. With a function like this then people new to the game can meet possible comrades to learn the game with and fight with, then so forth onto going out into red zone and black zone saving the people that are peacefully gathering.

A community built game where everyone matters should also show a way for the few that don’t like the idea of ganking to fight back with a system to back it up for a better rewarding system and will improve the idea of just grabbing a pvp set or whatever you have on you and just go and help the people get that are killing the gankers. This would make in literal sense everyone matters and you can just for say maybe a icon on the map kinda like the red blobs but with a alternative version which is blue to represent the people that aren’t pvp flagged that are fighting against those that are pvp flagged. And I already know a good few players do this where they just go out and find the PK’s and destroy them but there have been plenty of times where I had a group of just random people running with me to fight either a few or just one pvp flagged person and then just run away. With some system that would satisfy multiple players with high rewards just for killing a player that has been killing a few players recently.

And to know that a certain player has been killing others it would be shown as a status effect and then would make the player to be targeted and viable to let the system activate giving the player or players that slain them get a reward point kind of like the Might system, build up enough of these points and then you get a reasonable reward, that is equal to the ammount of players the player killed in a certain time frame.

Also this might ease the ammount of want for a instant travel by having a system to counter the exact reason for wanting instanced travel.

Also Equart you are very right, SBI probably does have enough Human Resources to focus on the most obvious of things to fix, such as just simply refining the ping or just making the game more playable across the currently available platforms. And also look into and discuss to the community about the expansion to consoles, to me as I see it (as a personal opinion) the talk of the console expansion is dead in the water, and I see no open sources of them just talking about the release such a example that I would like to see is “We are looking further into expanding to consoles, we are just increasing better compatibility to the console before completing the release.”
    To me that sounds like a VERY appropriate response to maybe even a few players asking around about it.
    Have a great day and look at this with great attention.
  • This feature screams "How would you like to abuse me to ruin the economy?"

Kill friend with only raw res on him in BZ for a free transport back home?
    Spread out zvz army between zones and quickly teleport back to town for strategic advantage ?

Lets say all the loopholes are fixed. I still don't understand how instantly teleporting back to the city with raw resources wont affect the resource and crafting economy in a major way.

Raw resources will reduce in price because more will be easily transported back (current limit isnt how much you can gather but how much you can bring back).

There is a layer of gameplay complexity and pleasure added in the fact not only do you have to gather your loot but also make it back home with it in your hands! A staple of Albion, it enhances the gameplay.
  • If lowering risk increases in game activity, it'd be a good change.
    This would effectively shrink the world in half, which is a good thing because the world is too big to begin with.

Albion rarely sees change, so if SBI wants to change core mechanics I'm all here for it.
  • I would say fine if you can only use the ability while mount is not active. So you have to risk using the teleport on foot (you cannot stand in the mount circle) making you an easy target if caught.

Or at very least make it go on cd as soon as it is used. So even if I channel it for a sec and cancel it is now on a 30 min cd (for example).
  • Worros wrote:

I would say fine if you can only use the ability while mount is not active. So you have to risk using the teleport on foot (you cannot stand in the mount circle) making you an easy target if caught.

Or at very least make it go on cd as soon as it is used. So even if I channel it for a sec and cancel it is now on a 30 min cd (for example).
    The problem is
    1 : Risk and rewards. The travel back is a very important part of every run and add value and interest.
    2 : Poeple come play a game for the content but they stay for the communities+content and ganking is a source of communities and content. This feature will make harder a good aspect of the game.
    3 : Economy. I am not an expert but logicaly I'll think, easier to gather -> more ressouces on market -> drop of price of material -> gathering /h less profitable.

So everyone looses with that feature; Even poeple that think they will benefit of that teleport will loose aswell in the long run.
  • MythicDragon wrote:

I believe there are much simpler ways to solve this. The simpler the solution the better. The more complex it gets = more ways for it to be abused, and more headache in the long run for the game developers and player base.

My thoughts:

Either do nothing and leave the game as it is, OR

For the traveling concerns:
    - add much faster mounts to the game, as was suggested by people earlier

For the 8 no-skill ganker concern:
    - Increase trash rate of victim's items depending on how unfair the fight was, as was suggested by people earlier
    - decrease fame gained from the kill drastically depending on how unfair the fight was

Hey there,

thanks for your input!

Your suggestions are something we considered as well, however, our concerns where as follows:
    • faster mounts in general would affect ganking in general - i.e. also those forms of ganking that we like to see in the game (general open world ganking, small scale fights, fair fights in general). The "town portal" feature is specifically aimed to deal with large gank groups camping certain spots to catch outnumbered people on the way back to town.
    • Increasing the gear trash rate based on the number of players involved in the kill would drastically alter the risk reward ratio of ZvZ fights or evenly numbered large fights. Note that potential solutions to this that involved correctly "counting" friends and enemies of the killed player is usually not possible as it is very easy to game around those system. (people can be in different guilds or parties but still de facto play together, for example)
  • Most people don't want teleports, they want to be able to play.

stunlock is a problem, let CC be based on number of hit players 50-75% weaker CC if only one person is hit.

Transports gankers may suffer, but in the end we play risk = reward...
    Compensation will be higher gear tier, which will make caravan/transport protection find new content, like when people created guilds to protect transports from cities to caerleon, nowadays this activity is not very profitable, gankers are mainly based on flat 6.

If the goal is really to improve OW and improve QOL against zerg ganking then I see no other way than fixing CC.
  • ganking is a boring activity and i would 100% believe REDUCES your numbers of players overall. Its fun the first few times, but then you realize how much more you would be making gathering, fishing, running CDs, LITERALLY ANYTHING ELSE AT ALL. Its such a sour taste of interaction to even have in your game. To allow 10-20 dudes to sit in a zone, and just spread out and stun lock poor noobs with 50k on them on a t5 ox. Like, why? o I know, cuz there IS NO CONTENT FOR THEM TO DO. please stop focusing on all this QoL and mobile bullshit. The games combat system is ass and needs massive reworks, every1 has stuns, every1 has too many mechanics, please tighten up the combat balance.
  • Sedocoi wrote:

ganking is a boring activity and i would 100% believe REDUCES your numbers of players overall. Its fun the first few times, but then you realize how much more you would be making gathering, fishing, running CDs, LITERALLY ANYTHING ELSE AT ALL. Its such a sour taste of interaction to even have in your game. To allow 10-20 dudes to sit in a zone, and just spread out and stun lock poor noobs with 50k on them on a t5 ox. Like, why? o I know, cuz there IS NO CONTENT FOR THEM TO DO. please stop focusing on all this QoL and mobile bullshit. The games combat system is ass and needs massive reworks, every1 has stuns, every1 has too many mechanics, please tighten up the combat balance.
    You don't know what you're talking about, but that's okay you're a young account. Established ganking guilds with 10-20 dudes can make 100m in a single 2 hour session ganking.

Source: my guild
    Ign - Sllice
  • One of the biggest reasons that EVE Online died was the ability to rapidly move around the map in safety. Is the intention to kill core player base with this change in the hopes of monetising a new (and larger) more casual audience? I don't really understand any of the explanations offered otherwise.

Just at the most fundamental level, we've already seen a massive decrease in the risk that players have to take throughout the game. You can pop out of a blackzone portal, hit a map, use the shrine to get to the dungeon safely, wait 90 seconds for the dungeon to close, and then you're completely uninterruptable. You're now suggesting that, alongside this, you will be able to press a button and instantly teleport back to the city you came from, ready to do all of this again.

At what point in this are you now supposed to be able to gank someone? Hope that they fuck up their dungeon channel? Pray that you find them in that 90 second period where they're waiting at the entrance of their dungeon, ready to run out should someone come in? Maybe catch them on the journey out if they have to run more than one zone? Because that appears to be the only times when that would be feasible.

To put it bluntly: these changes reduce the risk to dungeon runners to basically zero.

At this point you may as well just create a portal in the main towns that creates you an instanced map of your choosing based on what map you stick into the "teleport generator" like Path of Exile does. That's fundamentally what you're suggesting here, albeit with a few extra steps. Why not go the whole way? I'm not even fundamentally opposed to this - we could then revert the blackzone dungeon map changes so that they don't close after 90 seconds and dungeons actually offer a space for people to learn how to gank again.

Just remember to nerf rewards again so that more people are forced into areas of the game where they can actually be killed, because death is the foundational essentiality of games like Albion Online.

I'm sure there's other implications for other solo content like gathering and so on, but I thought I'd just focus on one area that you've spent the last few years removing absolutely all other risks from anyway - if only to remind you that you've already spent most of the last two years limit-testing the definition of "hardcore" as it is.
  • A bit late to the party here, but I want to throw my thoughts in the ring.

To be up front, I hate gankers. I hate ganking. The entire notion of 'non-consensual PvP' is something I personally dislike, and spent years in the anti-gank community because of it. I appreciate the numerous mechanics SBI has implemented to make ganging up on single targets harder, and discouraged the sort of 'one sided' engagements gankers seek to create. But this? This goes too far.

What this sort of mechanic does is it trades tedious gameplay for literal downtime. Travel in Albion is tedious, but it's also important. Distance matters in a game like this, and I think it's hasty to consider any kind of bypass for that mechanic. It will have reaching effects that impact gameplay well beyond its intentions. And in this proposed change we're not even exchanging that tedious but relevant factor (travel time) for fun gameplay but rather for standing still. Literal downtime. No gameplay whatsoever. I think that alone is enough to disqualify this kind of mechanic from being added to Albion.
    Have we even considered (sorry if we have I haven't read the whole thread) what happens when people start running from their HO to portal, kill their friend carrying stacks of material, and teleport back? Is there even a way to prevent that kind of exploit?

But problems aside, there are other ways to get what you're going for here. Wider road gates, or multiple entrance/exits to each adjoining zone (or both) would make lazy gate camping a lot harder, force gankers to actually scout targets and set up ambushes zones ahead. Make lazy camping both harder and more boring while allowing transports to still be a relevant part of gameplay with inherent risk. Games like Foxhole have had zone exits the entire map long, and thanks to speed boosts on roads still see plenty of road usage (and ambushes along them).

I hope there's sufficient backlash in this thread to make SBI reconsider this move. It runs contrary to the fundamental mechanics and systems on which Albion is built, and while that's not inherently bad building a different game when so many already love this one will have serious consequences.
    Epic is the only way I know how...
  • slizzard wrote:

Sedocoi wrote:

ganking is a boring activity and i would 100% believe REDUCES your numbers of players overall. Its fun the first few times, but then you realize how much more you would be making gathering, fishing, running CDs, LITERALLY ANYTHING ELSE AT ALL. Its such a sour taste of interaction to even have in your game. To allow 10-20 dudes to sit in a zone, and just spread out and stun lock poor noobs with 50k on them on a t5 ox. Like, why? o I know, cuz there IS NO CONTENT FOR THEM TO DO. please stop focusing on all this QoL and mobile bullshit. The games combat system is ass and needs massive reworks, every1 has stuns, every1 has too many mechanics, please tighten up the combat balance.
    You don't know what you're talking about, but that's okay you're a young account. Established ganking guilds with 10-20 dudes can make 100m in a single 2 hour session ganking.
    Source: my guild
    you can read this @Korn ? now tell us where is their risk? Do you consider the risk-reward ratio in this content good enough? :rolleyes:
  • So wait, I can go out into roads, as deep as I like, fill myself to the brim with loot from dungeons and gathering, and then just click a button and boom I'm back in the city? Where is the Risk vs Reward? You're talking about letting someone A out of the entire Black Zone. That is stupid beyond words.

Absolutely ridiculous.

The post was edited 1 time, last by TheSlayer ().