Town Portal - QoL Suggestion (-> see new thread)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Here's my two cent:

I hate PvP on principle. It's a long story, but to me, griefing and any kind of unwilling PvP are absolutely the same thing. Period. And yes, I am aware that AO is a pvp oriented game, but despite that, I still like it a lot. With that said, I'm against this change. To me, it would be better to create incentives to solo players/gatherers/small groups to go to the BZ and do PvP, like better gathering gear, better resource drops/encounters in the BZ, increase the penalties of outnumbering your enemy, etc. I'd also argue that making this change goes against the very essence and spirit of the game, despite how much it would benefit me, personally.

If you guys want to cut on the boring trips without messing with that, I'd suggest taking a look on trips between Royal Cities, making the travel between them more accessible or creating actual transport contracts.
  • Transport contracts doesn't solve the time sink issue of excessive travel requirements currently in the BZ. The issue is the raw amount of dead time between content. Risk of being killed is an issue some have in BZ sure but moreso many cant spend 25 minutes riding somewhere and another 25 back. It is not enjoyable and actually discourages BZ exploring.
  • Robinhoodrs wrote:

Seeing this and how easy it'll be to transports resources back that you've gathered, why not just give us the Return Bonus for refining in the Outlands now within Hideouts/HQ's? Basically that's what is happening here, the risk of returning to town to refine is removed, removing that piece of the 'circle of albion life'.
    I don't think the transport meta would change much here.

For optimum efficiency, you need to refine in the city and craft in a hideout.

Case 1: You are based in a hideout
    • Go into the open world and gather
    • Take your material, go into a city, refine
    • Take your refined material and travel back to your hideout
    The town portal feature does not really help you. If you use it before having made it to the city, it will simply take you back to your hideout. If you use it after having refined in the city, it will take you back to that city.

Case 2: You are based in a city
    • Go back to the city to refine (here, the town portal helps you a bit)
    • Take the refined resources and travel to the hideout
    The only help the total portal feature gives you here is what its intended design is, to make the trip back to where you came from easier. It does not help you at all when you want to go from city/hideout A to city/hideout B though.
  • Korn wrote:

Robinhoodrs wrote:

Seeing this and how easy it'll be to transports resources back that you've gathered, why not just give us the Return Bonus for refining in the Outlands now within Hideouts/HQ's? Basically that's what is happening here, the risk of returning to town to refine is removed, removing that piece of the 'circle of albion life'.
    I don't think the transport meta would change much here.
    For optimum efficiency, you need to refine in the city and craft in a hideout.

Case 1: You are based in a hideout
    • Take your material, go into a city, refine
    • Take your refined material and travel back to your hideout
    The town portal feature does not really help you. If you use it before having made it to the city, it will simply take you back to your hideout. If you use it after having refined in the city, it will take you back to that city.

Case 2: You are based in a city
    • Go back to the city to refine (here, the town portal helps you a bit)
    • Take the refined resources and travel to the hideout
    The only help the total portal feature gives you here is what its intended design is, to make the trip back to where you came from easier. It does not help you at all when you want to go from city/hideout A to city/hideout B though.
    As long as we are not getting any bonus for refining our own gathered resources or for crafting by using our own refined resources, nobody do this.
    Deathskills says 150m silvers is too much for 84-112 hours of active gameplay out of 168 hours a week has. Does not answer how much a ganker does under that time. This player is a joke.
  • @Malkalma that is a whole other topic entirely pls try not to derail from the main point of teleport

i think if it is bound to an item with a value of 1mil silver craft with unlimited used
    or a consumable with 200k silver value
    or the main component for crafting is locked behind some content

on top of all the current restrictions then only it would be balanced
    Embrace the Risk Vs Reward. Do not deny it
    For it will only bring you pain

#RiskVSRewardCult

Currently aiming for 120 on all Armors related to Morningstar Build
  • I think this proposal has some merits, but after some consideration, I don't think it is the right direction. IMO fast travel has a negative impact on Open World content and vitality. It's clear that one of the prerogatives of the Dev team is to try and stimulate the 'Outlands' and to encourage more players to go to them. Reducing the amount of time spent there seems counter-productive.

I really like Albion Online and have had many great times playing it. Although, one of the most disappointing experiences in the game, was when I was new and I eventually ventured out into the Outlands only to realize that it is basically just like the Royal Continent. Same mobs, same maps, same resources, same dungeons. Sure the tiers are higher and the HP and Damage numbers on the mobs increase, but there isn't really any content, mechanics, assets, etc which differ greatly from the Royals.

Content is king. If you want people to spend time in the Outlands, make people WANT to spend time there. New mobs, New Dungeons, New resources, Open World bosses, Points of Interest, etc

If some kind of Fast Travel "home" is to be instigated then I would suggest a "campfire" system. A small number of resources would be required and then you could travel to a zone, pick a spot and "build" a small fire. Once built there would be a cooldown before it could be used. Once the cooldown was complete the campfire would burn for 30 minutes. In that time you could travel back to it and use it to transport "home"
    Even a white rose has a black shadow.
  • Absolutely bizarre suggestion, as if it's coming from a person who doesn't understand the audience.

Albion PvE isn't that attractive to begin with (5 biomes, only 4 types of dungeons and 3 types of statics), percentage of people playing this game for PvE is lower compared to other MMOs. This could kinda be solved by adding more monster types though, pretty sure it would be appreciated by both pve and pvp players.

After all the CC changes and mount health changes there's already almost no chance to die unless you are willing to engage in pvp in red/black (literally running into nameplates seeing people are dismounted) or if you run into 20 people adding "teleports" would not only make things safer but would also make transporting way easier.

Also what's up with the suggestions lately shoving solo players into instanced pvp? (announcing mists of avalon, making mounts so durable it's impossible to dismount unless you're wearing 8.3 and mount is tier 5). People are unhappy with zergs in black zones but these changes aren't solving anything, instead the playerbase is segregated even more. Let the solo players breathe and give them enough damage to kill something without relying on the target to screw up. Groups will have enough damage to dismount anyway, it won't solve anything in 10v1 ganks.

• For newer players - including those who generally like full loot PvP - getting killed on your way back to the city by a large group zone camping is probably the most significant rage quit events in Albion Online right now. Tons of players - a significant amount of who we are sure would have "graduated" to permanent full loot PvP eventually - never got the chance to do so.

And yep, there it is. Absolutely no understanding of your playerbase. If somebody had a chance to enter full loot pvp, this kind of a death will ENCOURAGE the player to play more and participate in it. Whoever ragequit over this would stay in yellow zones forever anyway.

Last page made it sound even worse after seeing the "craft/gather" examples, that person clearly doesn't even play the game if he didn't come up with the idea of trading all the resources to a second transporter which is standing right at the gate and is ready to teleport.

Even if it has a LOT of band-aid fixes like can't use for 5 minutes after zoning(including leaving the dungeon)/trading/looting anything, has to be used in open world and requires a 90-120 second channel it's still going to be broken for transporting and there's no fixing that.

In fact, it has no place in BZ at all. Black zones are already empty and this change will cut down a lot of traveling time, making those even more empty. In fact I can see this change being so massive it would make black zones completely barren and I can't see how everybody else fails to realize this. Trying to bring back your loot through avalonian portals is one of the most fun aspects of BZ gathering and that's core of high tier economy - high tier zones are parked deep into the outlands so you have to either have a hideout (applies to a little portion of the playerbase), make a huge path or bring loot through avas.

The post was edited 8 times, last by Fat8.3node ().

• Sounds like a great idea for royals, but this has no place in the blackzone. The most risky zones are those around rests or areas where players are known to live, basically 80% of the risk is leaving and returning to your starting point, its pretty rare to be gathering or ffing and die in the process. Cutting out all the risk of returning the resources to a safe area feels very disingenuous to the core of the game.
    IGN: DungeonRealms
    Founded Elevate
    Won Season 9
    #1 Locus Kill Fame
    Held 6 cities till SBI deleted them :/
  • Shakul57 wrote:

Hi all,

Having the ability to fast travel via teleport, or at least teleport back to a location that you are bound to or have recently visited is commonplace in almost all MMORPGs. It is a great quality of life feature as it gets rid of unnecessary travel times (people sometimes refer to this as a “horse riding” or “walking simulator”.)

Now, as many of you know, the reason why Albion does not have such a feature has to do with it’s risk vs reward design, in particular when it comes to transportation of items and material being a major part of its game economy.

We have thought about this time and time again and believe that we might have found a concept for a new feature we want to present to you here and gain your feedback.

Here is how it would work:
    • When entering a city or hideout, you get the ability to teleport back to the said city or hideout until you enter another. There is no way to manually influence this. Your home binding also does not matter.
    • This teleport is an ability with a significant cast time and a significant cooldown, and it is subject to certain restrictions, as follows:
      • If you pick up items from a storage chest, bank, market place or receive items from another player outside of a city or hideout, the ability to teleport is lost until you enter a city or hideout(hence, you cannot use it for transportation)
        • The ability is not lost if you pick up loot from a loot chest or from killed players. The 30% gear trash rate on death makes sure that it’s not really worth using this as an exploit for fast transport.
      • The teleport will be temporarily disabled there are too many other players close to you. This means that it won’t work if you are in a zerg or a large group. This makes sure that the teleport cannot be used as a tactical tool in zerg vs zerg fights.
      • The teleport can only be used out of combat, in the open world or Roads of Avalon. This means you cannot use it while inside a dungeon.
    We think these restrictions would allow us to have the convenience of a town portal feature while making sure that the risks associated with transport and travelling in general remain in place.

What would be the impact on gameplay here?
    The design is aimed at small scale and solo play. People will be able to go into the open world, do their gathering and PvE and then teleport back to where they started, cutting down unnecessary (and potentially boring) travel time. This is a huge convenience gain.
    For gankers, it means that ganking people on their way back from an excursion will become less common.
    On the other hand, we expect this change to make the Outlands significantly more active leading to a lot more action overall.
    The change will also encourage gankers to go out into the world to find targets as opposed to trying to block or camp certain routes, which should lead to more dynamic encounters.

In general, with this change we intend to continue on the path started with the Lands Awakened update, which is to encourage open world activity as much as possible. The feature will also work really well for solo players and small groups in the Roads of Avalon.
    We are aware that this sounds like a drastic change, but believe that this will integrate itself nicely in the outworld experience and be a massive gain in accessibility and quality of life for Outlands gameplay.

We are looking forward to your feedback
    This is indeed a very good and excellent proposal. This cuts down alot on travelling time. Now instead of spending half an hour travelling to the destination, then 15 min doing your gathering and pve, then another half hour travelling back to destination. Total one hour and 15 min of time spent with only actual 15 min of meaningful playtime. Sometimes, to avoid gankers and road blocks, you still need to make a big detour resulting in even more time wasted.

Now with the new proposed teleport fast travel, only need half hour to travel to the destination, then 45 min doing gather and pve, then fast teleport back.

Kudos to SBI for such brilliant idea!!!

You should quickly implement it in the Test Server for all of us to test out the bug. Then quickly implement it on Live Server.

We must alway implement such QoL features as this will result in more players joining the game. More players playing the game and that translates into more players buying premium, gold and skins from SBI website. Win win situation for both players and SBI.

Anyway, there's no harm in implementing this feature live. If after implementation, if more players play the game, this feature can continue to stay in the live server. If less players play the game, SBI can always remove this feature from the live server. The only way to know whether more players will play the game is to implement the feature live and then monitor the player count day by day.

No need to worry about lack of full loot pvp because full loot pvp will always be in the game even if this feature is implemented. Guilds will continue to fight full loot pvp with each other over castles, territories, chests, power cores, etc.

No need to worry about lack of ganking. In fact, if more people go out to do pve and gathering, this will encourage gankers to go out to travel more instead of camping at portal zones. This encourage more players and more activities for the server. Win win for both players and developer.

SBI, please kindly implement this feature immediately. Thank you.
  • Disregard wrote:

Sounds like a great idea for royals, but this has no place in the blackzone. The most risky zones are those around rests or areas where players are known to live, basically 80% of the risk is leaving and returning to your starting point, its pretty rare to be gathering or ffing and die in the process. Cutting out all the risk of returning the resources to a safe area feels very disingenuous to the core of the game.
    The reason it is like this is that there is no reason to go hunting for players, when you can just cast a net over a zone and farm them as they are coming and going.

No one is going to run around the map looking for people to kill when SBI lets them just sit in one place and farm players all day.

The fact that no one is out there bothering you when you are actually playing the game, but anytime you are going to or from town you are a huge target. Is not really a sign of a healthy environment.
    ..QQ _^..^_/ QQ..
    (not to be eaten!)
  • After reading some of the dev replies I'm less hostile to the idea but still not sure I'm for it.

1. Won't this destroy the value of the rests and hideouts as places to live out of? The royal markets are so much more liquid that if you knew you can teleport back to them, why would you ever enter a rest or hideout and rob yourself of the fast pass back to the land of the rich? I like the idea of players living out of their holdings but Albion has always been too Royal City focused due to the value of the Royal Markets. This only makes those markets more valuable.
    2. I understand that the ganking near the portal zone is a huge pain point and likely one of the big things that makes new black zone players quit the game. I think the value of that ganking is super low and its really terrible that the new player areas of the outlands are the most dangerous. I support continued design work to incentivize those players to move into deeper outland territory. But I'm not sure letting people transport full inventories is the way.
    3. I also understand that travel is more annoying in Albion than other games. But travel is also an opportunity for encounters between players. If we're all just fast traveling that will make the world feel emptier. But I get that the amount of travel may prohibit some people from engaging with Albion if they don't have enough time to play. Perhaps a super long cooldown town portal where you can only transport the gear equipped on your character would be a better solution? Like a once-a-day thing, for the one-hour-a-day player?
  • It is a great idea, in my opinion.

People complaining about risk vs reward should acknowledge two things. First, while one is doing content in the Outlands, full-loot rules will still apply and one can be killed and lose everything. Second, groups ganking outnumbered players next to safe zones or fleeing routes actually face low risk, while are highly rewarded.

I disagree of the idea of rare or expensive itens. This should be as simple as possible and be available for any player in the appropriate locations, independent of resources.

My suggestion is that this can be implemented as a action instead of an item, channeling or clock ticking. Some games works with escape routes or random "extraction points". I think this would fit very well in Albion. It could be simple as "I press a button to activate the 'escape mode', look at the map for my options, then run for it". "Return portals" could be normal portals on adjacents zones, so I would have to travel through at least one zone. With this idea, Devs can try different things: number of options of "return portals", minimum number of zones that the player should travel through in order to teleport, etc. It can be simpler too: no need to look at the map, just press the button, go to a adjacent zone and travel through it until the next portal and it you teleport you back.

I think this idea is less likely to "break imersion"... if you look to it calmly, it has some pros, I think...

The post was edited 1 time, last by HaeloBR ().

• I think this is a great idea.
    Gankers that camp will ahve to go into Blackzone and also Ready to fight.
    In the Blackzone most likely there will be more Gatherers to kill. and also more Players that belong to Alliances as their Transport time gets reduced aswell.

Higher Chance for good PVP for everyone! Yes please.
    Aaooouuuu!!! [VVolfpack] is recruiting brave Warriors. Disc:v3gPFU7yzz