Crafting monopolies and cartels, price scams and station availability

• Crafting monopolies and cartels, price scams and station availability

This game needs some alternatives to prevent cartels from adjusting their crafting fees and raise it into laughable high regions. The fees have nothing to with offer and demand anymore. In some cities the ressources with city bonus can be refined for like 9% while in other cities you have to pay over 50%. Some stations in some cities are always overpriced. Like 500%. An no alternative around. If you don't want to spend 30 minutes everytime walking to antoher cits if you want to refine or craft something, you are basically lost. Since weeks I haven't seen a mill in Bridgewatch, in Martlock neither. If you don't own one on your island or guild, you cannot craft flour anymore.

In every city there should be one crafting and refining station of each kind that is owned by the city (aka the AI). The prices should be quite high but not astronomical. They should just act as some kind of fallback and price maximum for all the other station owners. If they think it is cool to set up 999% as a fee then you could go to the city owned station, still pay a fairly high amount but would not be scammed like that. And those stations would be available any time. So finally Bridgewatch would have a mill again.

Either this should happen or the prices for renting stations should be signicfically lower so that normal people could start to compete with the the huge guild monopolies and finally set the prices right! I mean, the biggest joke concerning crafting in this game is that you basically make losses unless you really craft high tier items (and often you make losses their too compared to the basic ressource prices or the artifact prices). It is always all the time better to just sell the raw materials to the market than to refine then and craft something. Just do the maths. And in which economy are the final products cheaper than the material they are made out of and the labour costs that are involved to make them??? Such an economy would collapse quickly, yet Albion's economy is exactly that. Crafting is basically pointless unless you do it for the fun. Profit wise it is a huge silver sink especially when those monopolies rip you off with their high crafting and refining fees.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Nebelfaust ().

• Nebelfaust wrote:

This game needs some alternatives to prevent cartels from adjusting their crafting fees and raise it into laughable high regions. The fees have nothing to with offer and demand anymore. In some cities the ressources with city bonus can be refined for like 9% while in other cities you have to pay over 50%. Some stations in some cities are always overpriced. Like 500%. An no alternative around. If you don't want to spend 30 minutes everytime walking to antoher cits if you want to refine or craft something, you are basically lost. Since weeks I haven't seen a mill in Bridgewatch, in Martlock neither. If you don't own one on your island or guild, you cannot craft flour anymore.

In every city there should be one crafting and refining station of each kind that is owned by the city (aka the AI). The prices should be quite high but not astronomical. They should just act as some kind of fallback and price maximum for all the other station owners. If they think it is cool to set up 999% as a fee then you could go to the city owned station, still pay a fairly high amount but would not be scammed like that. And those stations would be available any time. So finally Bridgewatch would have a mill again.

Either this should happen or the prices for renting stations should be signicfically lower so that normal people could start to compete with the the huge guild monopolies and finally set the prices right! I mean, the biggest joke concerning crafting in this game is that you basically make losses unless you really craft high tier items (and often you make losses their too compared to the basic ressource prices or the artifact prices). It is always all the time better to just sell the raw materials to the market than to refine then and craft something. Just do the maths. And in which economy are the final products cheaper than the material they are made out of and the labour costs that are involved to make them??? Such an economy would collapse quickly, yet Albion's economy is exactly that. Crafting is basically pointless unless you do it for the fun. Profit wise it is a huge silver sink especially when those monopolies rip you off with their high crafting and refining fees.
      Nope, 50% tax is nice and it is very good money sink overall. I think the HO and Rest plots will make it a bit better, but if the 50% tax makes crafting not profitable for you then its not the tax issue. If the price is too high you will always have a fallback to craft on guild islands (tax has to be higher then the % lost on the bonuses) which kinda has an upper limit and it has happened in the past that people use guild islands to not pay the high taxes. Remember that if there is 1 owner who will not along with the tax of others and undercuts the whole city will be lower and it will be a big money loss for the owners (last few months where city bonus crafting fees have been 9% which is barely enough for the food). I think current system is good. Also i suggest asking for associates as majority of the shop owners give them out if you ask nicely, meaning that 50 will prob be 35% tax.
    • Argustin wrote:

Nebelfaust wrote:

Nope, 50% tax is nice and it is very good money sink overall. I think the HO and Rest plots will make it a bit better, but if the 50% tax makes crafting not profitable for you then its not the tax issue. If the price is too high you will always have a fallback to craft on guild islands (tax has to be higher then the % lost on the bonuses) which kinda has an upper limit and it has happened in the past that people use guild islands to not pay the high taxes. Remember that if there is 1 owner who will not along with the tax of others and undercuts the whole city will be lower and it will be a big money loss for the owners (last few months where city bonus crafting fees have been 9% which is barely enough for the food). I think current system is good. Also i suggest asking for associates as majority of the shop owners give them out if you ask nicely, meaning that 50 will prob be 35% tax.
      to be a silver sink, it needs to be removed from the game. so not a sink, the silver sink here is the bet system to gain ownership of a plot. silver switching from player a to b isn't a silver sink.

other thing that can cause a sink is people running the statiosn under the break even point (happens so often and based on old system all stations except 2 or 3 (those needed 65-85%+ taxes to break even) was 11-13% tax (i ran the math a while back so might be 1-4% off at most due to food and stone blocks cost). Still a marginal difference and a bunch of new "owners" have a tendency to run at 9% tax or lower which is hilarious.

50% tax for crafting gear is stupid high when at 25% tehre's already a good margin on each item. but again to know that, you need to do the spreadsheets, craft everything in every city at every tier/enchant level, take note of food consumption per craft and get the food cost down for every food bought and best food. shit is expensive to test and learn and nothing can help you learn the current degradation of stone blocks in a town building since it only affects HO and towns (now rest cities i guess). guild islands and personal islands don't have degradation over time like those so can't quantify easily the damage made to the building from people crafting at it but that has a maintenance cost too.