Dev Talk: War Gloves & Elite Levels

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Dev Talk: War Gloves & Elite Levels

The Lands Awakened update on November 24 brings exciting developments to combat in Albion Online. In this Dev Talk, Combat Designer Michael Schwahn and Game Director Robin Henkys introduce two major new features: the War Gloves weapon line and Elite Levels.

Note: this video includes subtitles for all our supported languages.

For a written summary, click here: albiononline.com/news/devtalk-war-gloves-elite-levels
    • Gentleman, Ladies,

As much as i like new content especially weapons I would really strongly recommend that u work on adjusting current weapon balance.

1h mace builds dominate almost every content
      Royal shoes are absolutely meta in all small scale content where you can reset.
      Nature and holy are hot garbage in solo play, and you deny these players the solo OW content more or less u introduce with this update.

There is a lot more to consider i just wanted to give you this feedback on a prominent level, which your community is talking to your teams since months.
    • @Trial_hard

1h mace should be addressed but that would involve combat balancing the whole mace line because 1h mace is very vital to most PvE comps and mace line as a whole
      it is the only mace which has decent damage on E

royal shoes? this one is new. send a thread about its discussion to me so i can see whats wrong about it

nature and holy is garbage in solo play and i agree. there have been talks about it and i am on the side where it is too much to balance for solo play and group play
      just see the amount of nerfs to hallow fall and healing in general for corrupted dungeons just because of its toxic gameplay
      it was so bad that the nerfs need to affect open world game play

the direction where they are pushing healing staves for group play in my opinion is one of the least risky option and time consuming options.
      it may not be the best of both worlds for solo and group play
      but pushing it in the direction where it would see most play and balancing it around it is at least the right way to balance it

screwing the solo play for healing staves is not ideal and should be revisited but at its current state putting it off is for the best
      https://forum.albiononline.com/index.php/Thread/155980-The-Forums-Could-Use-a-Night-Mode-Theme/

Contribute to Night Mode with the link above

FYI here is a picture me hugging Night Mode
    • @The_Support_God u have no clue what issue royal boots has?

Serious?

Nature is easy to fix - turn the buff of thorns from 10 - 25 %

Solo is poke, so it doesn't matter, u never get stacks. Nature has low mobility so no danger

But u can at least level u healer solo..as in PvE u can maintain u stacks and with 25 u have fast decent damage..

The post was edited 1 time, last by Trial_hard ().

• The_Support_God wrote:

1h mace should be addressed but that would involve combat balancing the whole mace line because 1h mace is very vital to most PvE comps and mace line as a whole
      Mace line became much better with the 20% slow on Sacred ground, which made the already great 1H option broken. If the 1H is to be treated as a Bruiser weapon, then it really shouldnt have an E with close to Grovekeeper stun duration values with a full I-Frame on top of damage, while most other bruisers only have access to soft-CC and an arrangement of purgeable buffs.
      I had a suggestion draft in one of the threads going something like this:
      • Remove debuff immutiny on the leap, to make engages less safe in smallscale scenarios.
        (Even the pog log doesn't have debuff immunity, this is absurd)
      • Stun duration reduced to slightly below Camlann levels to function exclusively as an interrupt (i.e: 2.5s -> 0.8s, at 1060IP).
      • Stun AoE increase to 4m from 3m, as it provides much less value now.
      • Cast range down to 12m from the current 13m, to offset the increase in the stun AoE radius and slightly decrease the value of the I-Frame + engage combo.
      • Slow strength buffed to 60% from 30%, to offset the loss in stun duration and emphasise 1H being a "Bruiser".
      About the PvE: for ~4 years maces are still the only tank weapon which can reliably PvE, with about 2 exceptons (HoJ for group dungeons and Black Monk for Ava construct). SBI had plenty of time to revamp other tank gear to be more suitable for PvE, but refuded to do so. "1H shouldn't be nerfed because of PvE" is the hottest garbage take so far.
      - You're a monster.
      - Am I?
    • Hattenhair wrote:

The_Support_God wrote:

Mace line became much better with the 20% slow on Sacred ground, which made the already great 1H option broken. If the 1H is to be treated as a Bruiser weapon, then it really shouldnt have an E with close to Grovekeeper stun duration values with a full I-Frame on top of damage, while most other bruisers only have access to soft-CC and an arrangement of purgeable buffs.I had a suggestion draft in one of the threads going something like this:
      • Remove debuff immutiny on the leap, to make engages less safe in smallscale scenarios.
        (Even the pog log doesn't have debuff immunity, this is absurd)
      • Stun duration reduced to slightly below Camlann levels to function exclusively as an interrupt (i.e: 2.5s -> 0.8s, at 1060IP).
      • Stun AoE increase to 4m from 3m, as it provides much less value now.
      • Cast range down to 12m from the current 13m, to offset the increase in the stun AoE radius and slightly decrease the value of the I-Frame + engage combo.
      • Slow strength buffed to 60% from 30%, to offset the loss in stun duration and emphasise 1H being a "Bruiser".
      About the PvE: for ~4 years maces are still the only tank weapon which can reliably PvE, with about 2 exceptons (HoJ for group dungeons and Black Monk for Ava construct). SBI had plenty of time to revamp other tank gear to be more suitable for PvE, but refuded to do so. "1H shouldn't be nerfed because of PvE" is the hottest garbage take so far.
      THe PvE reason is top BS, but hottest garbage is nature thorns debuff to 50% while hot Q was intendet..that is my personal lowest low so far..
    • @Trial_hard

who cares of thorns PvE damage? when is it ever used aside from Solo play
      it is a healer weapon. pretty sure after so many discussions we had on the forums that it come to the point where balancing healing weapons in this game is near impossible
      healing values for nature was too low to compete with holy at the time but such skills would make solo play too strong due to sustain
      you cannot have healing values intended for group play in solo play while having the damage of solo play to match it makes for a very unfair gameplay

1h mace on the other hand is one of the only tanking weapons that is viable in all levels of content and is the go to weapon for high end PvE
      another reason is because aside from 1h mace other mace weapons lack damage to be able to do solo content
      most other maces lack damage on their E

meanwhile, hammers are also a tanking weapon they do not have the utility skills to do high end PvE

if you want to discuss more about this we move to another forum
      Snare charge is just too OP on 1h Mace with that E, nerf either one
      https://forum.albiononline.com/index.php/Thread/155980-The-Forums-Could-Use-a-Night-Mode-Theme/

The post was edited 3 times, last by The_Support_God ().

• The_Support_God wrote:

you cannot have healing values intended for group play in solo play while having the damage of solo play to match it makes for a very unfair gameplay
      Depending on content type and situation upwards of ~60% of your healing comes from Q spell slots. I dont really understand how this justified killing damaging Q's which have nothing to do with healing.

The_Support_God wrote:

who cares of thorns PvE damage? when is it ever used aside from Solo play
      OW 2-3 man groups, at the very least it used to be that way.

The_Support_God wrote:

pretty sure after so many discussions we had on the forums that it is agreed that balancing healing weapons in this game is near impossible
      Anything becomes impossible if you stop trying.
      - You're a monster.
      - Am I?
    • @Hattenhair
      1)nature throns before alot of nerfs used to deal reasonable PvP damage to the point where it combine with its innate healing would outheal a Regular bow with max stacks while dealing insane amounts of damage back unfit for a healer. and back then there was no healing reduction in corrupted dungeons or healing sickness when using Q too much

2) pretty sure i have not seen a nature healer run thorns even in 2-3 open world even in roads they would run Q1 for healing most of the time because like you said Q heal is like 60% of their healing output

3) nature was too weak in the healing department when compared to holy at the time (back when throns still had reflect)
      but buffing healing was out of the question because it would make solo nature too strong
      so they removed to reflect and reduce PvP damage to buff the W and E skills of nature

then they gut several skill completely because surprise surprise blight staff had move speed, a slow, uninterruptable channel which made healing while kiting playstyle on par with hallowfall

• The_Support_God wrote:

@Hattenhair
      1)nature throns before alot of nerfs used to deal reasonable PvP damage to the point where it combine with its innate healing would outheal a Regular bow with max stacks while dealing insane amounts of damage back unfit for a healer. and back then there was no healing reduction in corrupted dungeons or healing sickness when using Q too much

2) pretty sure i have not seen a nature healer run thorns even in 2-3 open world even in roads they would run Q1 for healing most of the time because like you said Q heal is like 60% of their healing output

3) nature was too weak in the healing department when compared to holy at the time (back when throns still had reflect)
      but buffing healing was out of the question because it would make solo nature too strong
      so they removed to reflect and reduce PvP damage to buff the W and E skills of nature

then they gut several skill completely because surprise surprise blight staff had move speed, a slow, uninterruptable channel which made healing while kiting playstyle on par with hallowfall
      IT is plain easy to not kill nature for PvE & not buff if for PvP

Put the 50% damage reducting on putting Q hot in skillbar

Done ..
    • The_Support_God wrote:

It was some time ago. Now thorns reflect is gone, healing reduction got increased to 20%, healing sickness got increased to 40%.

The_Support_God wrote:

One thing you missed is that hit and run healer tactic revolves around, you guessed it, hitting and running.
      Both healer Q damaging spells function in a sustain DPS manner, meaning loosing contact with a target heavily decreases your spell value. Kiting with such a Q is very unreliable and unsynergetic, which was heavily evident by which Q's were abused by Blight and Hallowfall users - the healing Q. It was always a healing Q problem, not a damaging Q problem.

Factoring in how much healing is contributed by Q spells, swapping out to Thorns over Rejuvanation, for example, completely changes the way how you engage in combat, as the usual playstyle of keeping yourself safe while topping up either yourself or teammates swaps out for a bruiser-esque gameplan of sticking to target with sustained pressure while surviving with buffs, resistances and healing. The only difference being your kit: trading burst damage and offensive utility/debuffs for burst healing and defensive utility.

The damaging Q's should not have been involved in the nerf at all.
      - You're a monster.
      - Am I?
    • Hattenhair wrote:

The_Support_God wrote:

It was some time ago. Now thorns reflect is gone, healing reduction got increased to 20%, healing sickness got increased to 40%.

The_Support_God wrote:

One thing you missed is that hit and run healer tactic revolves around, you guessed it, hitting and running.Both healer Q damaging spells function in a sustain DPS manner, meaning loosing contact with a target heavily decreases your spell value. Kiting with such a Q is very unreliable and unsynergetic, which was heavily evident by which Q's were abused by Blight and Hallowfall users - the healing Q. It was always a healing Q problem, not a damaging Q problem.

Factoring in how much healing is contributed by Q spells, swapping out to Thorns over Rejuvanation, for example, completely changes the way how you engage in combat, as the usual playstyle of keeping yourself safe while topping up either yourself or teammates swaps out for a bruiser-esque gameplan of sticking to target with sustained pressure while surviving with buffs, resistances and healing. The only difference being your kit: trading burst damage and offensive utility/debuffs for burst healing and defensive utility.

The damaging Q's should not have been involved in the nerf at all.
      and that's one of the root causes of balance issues.

Nothing against @The_Support_God you are a nice guy, and I even have personal contact on pm with you..

But sitting at RT discussing weapons you just have knowledge on the receiving side and even not understanding how these work and then feeling reasonable to round table balance input had brought us in the difficult situation we are.

I really can recommend what I wrote you as a balance recommendation.

Play the weapon you give opinion on.. And I can grant you that u haven't played nature in solo pre nerf and post nerf ..else your comments and opinions on this would be more "spot on"
    • @Trial_hard
      hey buddy this is what the forums is for
      we talk things out and see from each others perspective

a weapon should be nice to play as and play against
      you should know how you die and what is your win condition on the weapon

i have to agree that the 50% damage nerf on healing weapons was too much and would be better if it was stuck on the healing Q instead
      like you suggested to balance out dps and healing playstyles

forward to SBI to implement this change then we see if nature and holy would be broken or not

Also Weapon discussions on the round table almost never happens it is always done in the proper channels such as underpower/overpowered forums
      :D

• The_Support_God wrote:

@Trial_hard
      hey buddy this is what the forums is for
      we talk things out and see from each others perspective

a weapon should be nice to play as and play against
      you should know how you die and what is your win condition on the weapon

i have to agree that the 50% damage nerf on healing weapons was too much and would be better if it was stuck on the healing Q instead
      like you suggested to balance out dps and healing playstyles

forward to SBI to implement this change then we see if nature and holy would be broken or not

Also Weapon discussions on the round table almost never happens it is always done in the proper channels such as underpower/overpowered forums
      :D
      also that is easy to know..

If u put the damage reducting on the Q - heal then nature is useable in PvE and still dead in pvp.

Because that is the implementation of thorns we had before the damage adjust where nature thorns was dead in pvp.

There was none on thorns in top 1000 so yes, it is UP, but at least playable in PvE .

That's the funny thing I have given up to ask for pvp boost, i have understood it was dead, it is dead, and it shell be dead in future - for whatever reason.

I just try to make the game better by giving nature player not just a heal bot job but also give them the opportunity to kill ow roaming mobs which is the root of this update..

Welp!