Albion is getting harder and harder for solo players

• I like to play solo and in small groups. Things can be better for solo players than they currently are, thats for sure.

However, it is really hard to balance rewards and risks for both solo players, small groups, guilds, and large alliances and even larger coalitions.

I think there was an intentional shift away in mechanics that hinders the solo and small groups from fighting back against a numerically superior force.

Escalation and maximum possible damage, for instance, was nerfed to decrease the impact of a few bombers on fights between hundreds of players.

This has the adverse effect of removing a deterent that solo players utilized when fighting groups. If the group plays poorly, it is less likely now than it was before for the solo player to make a play.

Even more than the mechanics that SBI introduced, I think the community drift towards larger and larger play groups nerfed the solo and small group experience. There are simply less winnable fights in the open world for small parties. Players are content to form large groups and have less actual content but mitigate risks of losing their gear or objectives.

Ask any red to describe the forehead slaps they give themselves when they get chased through 7 zones by a blob of blue police for a 150k set. Some people have goals in Albion that simply do not require anything close to a fair or even a remotely challenging fight.
    • Quagga wrote:

mobile andy is complaining about not being able to play solo in ow. jesus christ...
      if you're referring to me I was trying to be ironic with a shameful plug, I've been having a blast in the open world, faming up my gathering and getting into random fights, it's actually so easy for solo players you could LITERALLY be some shitter on a phone and be successful... but I agree, I'm sick of the complaining :thumbdown:
    • Borbarad wrote:

Well yes, this is a hugeproblem in albion.

People have been running in blobs more and more often.
      Even blob of gankers.

And it´s not suprising. It eliminates any risk on their part. There are next to no disadvantages for running a group. No downsides to it.

There is nothing easier than overwhelming others with numbers. In fact, game encourages you to do it.
      1) AOE escalation was nerfed, so smaller groups don´t stand a chance against bigger groups now.
      2) There are next to no diminishing returns, so you get brainlessly chain CC by people mashing buttons and you aren´t even allowed to move.
      3) since you have numbers, you can either wear cheap gear ( 4.1 ) and you dominate everyone anyway - or you wear high tier gear ( 8.1 + ) and you demolish even decent groups due to your numbers and gear.

And only downsides to group ? Gear is just damaged more and repair fee is higher. That´s it. Nobody cares about it.

There should be not higher damage rate, but higher TRASH rate if you gank in a group. Trash rate should be same in zvz, but normally - trash rate should be much, much higher the more people you play. If you are being hit by 5 claws, dont tell me the gear shouldn´t break.

And recently for solo, axes are unplayable as you cant mount up due to unintended mechanic by changing how combat works, therefore if you play axes as solo - you dont really have a proper chance to run away, for bleed triggers combat and instead of having 10 seconds to mount up and 20 seconds to zone out, its 16 seconds to mount up and 26 seconds to zone out . But whatever, that´s another thing.

Numbers should have more disavantages. It´s just pretty lame that its all about numbers. And you should have ways of escaping in CC. There being no DR - like wow.
      Loot is more damaged the more gankers that attack you : wiki.albiononline.com/wiki/Death#Gear_Impact_Upon_Death . I have done several "hunt me" events in the redzone and both times only about 30% of the loot didn't trash and that was 1v1 or 1v2.
    • Grrwal wrote:

Loot is more damaged the more gankers that attack you : wiki.albiononline.com/wiki/Death#Gear_Impact_Upon_Death . I have done several "hunt me" events in the redzone and both times only about 30% of the loot didn't trash and that was 1v1 or 1v2.
      Nobody cares about the repair bill. Unless trash rates increases, people won´t care.
      My YT channel - Solo greataxe killing everything https://www.youtube.com/user/DhaosNK/video=7
    • Borbarad wrote:

Grrwal wrote:

Nobody cares about the repair bill. Unless trash rates increases, people won´t care.
      zvz guilds that need loot from fights to support regear programs beg to differ.
      Gamer Dad. Old enough to know better, much too young to care.
    • Georg51 wrote:

Borbarad wrote:

Grrwal wrote:

zvz guilds that need loot from fights to support regear programs beg to differ.
      The solo players getting hunted by groups beg to differ, as they really welcome actual repercussions for the groups using their numbers advantage.
    • Borbarad wrote:

Lofthild you have to consider the idea of a PvP server or PvP flag for the black zone would destroy Albion. You can play in the yellow zone if you want to avoid PvP. You can also not flag in the red zone and see exactly how many PvP flagged players there are in each map lol. The fact this game is one of the few truly open-world full loot pvp MMOs right now is what makes it great. It seems like you want Albion to be more like WoW and we've all seen what the mindset of WoW's casual/PvE playerbase has done to that game.

Increasing trash rates won't change anything about people fighting with as many people as they can mass. They do that because the cost/expense of dying and losing your gear far outweighs any of the lost profit from your enemies' loot being damaged/trashed. The cost of repairing a full durability loss item also pretty much erases the profit of selling it already.

If you guys are looking for purely solo/small-scale content, that's what the roads, hellgates, corrupteds, crystals, etc are for; the black zone is meant to be an OPEN-WORLD SANDBOX. Just like in real life, there is strength in numbers. It makes sense for the group with numerical superiority to have the advantage while it makes no sense for the game to give you a disadvantage for playing with your guildmates/friends. That's what drives the community in this game. If you don't like being outnumbered, you should make more friends/recruit more people to play with; heck go join an alliance and play with them too.

Frankly, solo players are likely a small fraction of this game and the ones who are in guilds contribute to inactivity/lack of content in said guilds. I've seen guilds with 15-20 people online and only a few want to actually group for content before this update; making players leave those guilds or they disband due to lack of activity. Guilds/communities are what drive this game, if everyone was a solo player this game would be dead and I certainly wouldn't play it lol.

That being said, I've seen plenty of smaller groups with higher skill take on fights against a larger group and win out in the open-world. We've done it ourselves many times. You like the solo playstyle, that's great; but don't try to force your playstyle on the vast majority of players in Albion who enjoy playing with their friends/guildmates.
    • Ferrimm wrote:

Borbarad wrote:

• Nobody cares about the repair bill. Unless trash rates increases, people won´t care.

Lofthild you have to consider the idea of a PvP server or PvP flag for the black zone would destroy Albion. You can play in the yellow zone if you want to avoid PvP. You can also not flag in the red zone and see exactly how many PvP flagged players there are in each map lol. The fact this game is one of the few truly open-world full loot pvp MMOs right now is what makes it great. It seems like you want Albion to be more like WoW and we've all seen what the mindset of WoW's casual/PvE playerbase has done to that game.
      Increasing trash rates won't change anything about people fighting with as many people as they can mass. They do that because the cost/expense of dying and losing your gear far outweighs any of the lost profit from your enemies' loot being damaged/trashed. The cost of repairing a full durability loss item also pretty much erases the profit of selling it already.

If you guys are looking for purely solo/small-scale content, that's what the roads, hellgates, corrupteds, crystals, etc are for; the black zone is meant to be an OPEN-WORLD SANDBOX. Just like in real life, there is strength in numbers. It makes sense for the group with numerical superiority to have the advantage while it makes no sense for the game to give you a disadvantage for playing with your guildmates/friends. That's what drives the community in this game. If you don't like being outnumbered, you should make more friends/recruit more people to play with; heck go join an alliance and play with them too.

Frankly, solo players are likely a small fraction of this game and the ones who are in guilds contribute to inactivity/lack of content in said guilds. I've seen guilds with 15-20 people online and only a few want to actually group for content before this update; making players leave those guilds or they disband due to lack of activity. Guilds/communities are what drive this game, if everyone was a solo player this game would be dead and I certainly wouldn't play it lol.

That being said, I've seen plenty of smaller groups with higher skill take on fights against a larger group and win out in the open-world. We've done it ourselves many times. You like the solo playstyle, that's great; but don't try to force your playstyle on the vast majority of players in Albion who enjoy playing with their friends/guildmates.
      Unlike the majority of the "opposition", I mean low-effort "I camp transition points with my group and call it PvP" people, I do consider the different personas of players.

I want there to be a proper reputation system in place that punishes players actively PvPing in the open world + a stacking defensive buff and a massively increased chance for items to break when groups hunt solo players or camp entry/exit points, because as it stands right now solo players/small groups are nothing but the lowest-hanging fruits upon which Albion builds its PvP and economy, and they are "rewarded" with 2 "solo" activities:
      • SRDs: meagre rewards, and if you don't wait at the entrance until the portal closes a whole raid group could dive you
      • CDs: by design a 1vs1 arena
      And while game's scope is indeed PvP there are a plethora of activities which aren't PvP, like gathering, crafting, PvE.

As it stands:
      • Reputation system: utterly useless, and the meagre perks you get for a positive reputation don't even apply in BZ, and if someone goes into the maximum negative he can chill in a whole city designed for all those people with similar reputation, thus losing nothing at all
      • Chance for items to break: meme-worthy how utterly low that chance is when a solo player is getting killed by groups
      • Overall: 0 risk or drawbacks when hunting solo players/small groups as a far larger group

It yet again shows how narrow or dishonest your kind is when you point out how the game is an "open-world sandbox", but then describe the solo player as a playstyle which "shouldn't be forced on people enjoying the game as a group", almost as a means of "Don't do anything which hinders groups to hunt solo players".

The post was edited 5 times, last by Lofthild ().

• Lofthild wrote:

Unlike the majority of the "opposition", I mean low-effort "I camp transition points with my group and call it PvP" people, I do consider the different personas of players.
      I want there to be a proper reputation system in place that punishes players actively PvPing in the open world + a stacking defensive buff and a massively increased chance for items to break when groups hunt solo players or camp entry/exit points, because as it stands right now solo players/small groups are nothing but the lowest-hanging fruits upon which Albion builds its PvP and economy, and they are "rewarded" with 2 "solo" activities:
      • Reputation system: utterly useless, and the meagre perks you get for a positive reputation don't even apply in BZ, and if someone goes into the maximum negative he can chill in a whole city designed for all those people with similar reputation, thus losing nothing at all
      • Overall: 0 risk or drawbacks when hunting solo players/small groups as a far larger group

It yet again shows how narrow or dishonest your kind is when you point out how the game is an "open-world sandbox", but then describe the solo player as a playstyle which "shouldn't be forced on people enjoying the game as a group", almost as a means of "Don't do anything which hinders groups to hunt solo players"
      If I'm being completely honest, they already made it much harder for gankers to catch individual people mounted in the black zone with this latest update. With the mount HP buff, time-to-gallop changes, poison pot nerf, etc; I can count on one hand the number of times I've been caught by gankers by transporting or roaming solo. Before this update, I probably would of agreed that ganking is way too easy/proliferate and rewarding for the risk involved. If they are camping zone exits, you can always run to a different one or hop into a roads portal and wait a bit for them to move on.

I think most people make the rookie mistake of continuing to run in the same direction/past gankers when they spot a red in the black zone; rather than turning in the opposite direction, seeing if they are following you, then looping around to avoid any roadblocks.Trying to continue in the same direction/run past gankers just gives them time to collapse on/surround you.

The black zone is meant to be a completely lawless/frontier area where the players are free to act however they want. How can there be a reputation system without some sort of government/enforcement system like there is on the royal continent. I think SBI is trying to balance groups hunting solo players with the aforementioned Mount balance changes and ganking nerf.

SBI has done a great job in my opinion with the Lands Awakened Update, the majority of the changes at least. Feels like a breath of fresh air for a stagnating open-world, though they still need to tweak it in a number of places. Such as the frequency of Power Core spawns/ease of maintaining an HQ.
    • A good group of 8+ people would always kill you, no matter if before the update or now... you're a noob, you die. you're not a noob, you don't die.

Instead of improving your gameplay and learning from your mistakes, creating new builds, working with meta and suggesting "possible itemization gaps" you just cry "SBI TOO DIFFICULT ELP".
    • I think this is a community issue more than a SBI issue.

The large gank groups should be attracting more attention from other large groups.

One of the hard to balance game mechanics is that groups that build for catching solo and small groups are not likely to be able to fight against groups their size.

This specialization means that the gank groups either run inexpensive sets to minimize their risk or they simply run from anyone that is built to fight back.

Catch is required to force a fight, but catch builds are weak in a fight compared to ZvZ or Brawling comps.
    • Ferrimm wrote:

Lofthild wrote:

It yet again shows how narrow or dishonest your kind is when you point out how the game is an "open-world sandbox", but then describe the solo player as a playstyle which "shouldn't be forced on people enjoying the game as a group", almost as a means of "Don't do anything which hinders groups to hunt solo players"
      If I'm being completely honest, they already made it much harder for gankers to catch individual people mounted in the black zone with this latest update. With the mount HP buff, time-to-gallop changes, poison pot nerf, etc; I can count on one hand the number of times I've been caught by gankers by transporting or roaming solo. Before this update, I probably would of agreed that ganking is way too easy/proliferate and rewarding for the risk involved. If they are camping zone exits, you can always run to a different one or hop into a roads portal and wait a bit for them to move on.
      I think most people make the rookie mistake of continuing to run in the same direction/past gankers when they spot a red in the black zone; rather than turning in the opposite direction, seeing if they are following you, then looping around to avoid any roadblocks.Trying to continue in the same direction/run past gankers just gives them time to collapse on/surround you.

The black zone is meant to be a completely lawless/frontier area where the players are free to act however they want. How can there be a reputation system without some sort of government/enforcement system like there is on the royal continent. I think SBI is trying to balance groups hunting solo players with the aforementioned Mount balance changes and ganking nerf.

SBI has done a great job in my opinion with the Lands Awakened Update, the majority of the changes at least. Feels like a breath of fresh air for a stagnating open-world, though they still need to tweak it in a number of places. Such as the frequency of Power Core spawns/ease of maintaining an HQ.
      True, it did get a lot better, but look at it from the PoV of a neutral observer.

The various issues, prior to this patch:
      1. Laughably low mount health
      2. Time-to-gallop of mounts barely mattered
      3. You couldn't immediately use abilities once you dismounted
      4. Strong poison pots
      5. Somewhat low gains, fame/silver/loot, vs. the risks involved for people to actually venture out into BZ
      6. Somewhat limited hotspots for PvP that isn't ZvZ
      7. Camping of entry/exit points
      8. 0 repercussions or drawbacks for groups to hunt smaller groups/solo players
      What SBI did with the patch:
      • Adjusted 1-6
      • Didn't lift a finger for 7 and 8

I see it as them adjusting the lowest-hanging fruits, because I reckon it's a given that there will be a rather large pushback if SBI actually attempts to fix 7 and 8 due to the people that want to "PvP", I mean pursue low-effort ganking while in a large group.

There's a reason why the portal tile and its entry/exit points offer immunities of various kinds to prevent large guilds from just camping the portals 24/7, right?