Dev Talk: Open-World Gameplay

• Dev Talk: Open-World Gameplay

In our last Dev Talk, Game Director Robin Henkys introduced the visual and level design improvements coming with the Lands Awakened update in November. In this newest video, he introduces open-world gameplay changes including mobs that level up over time, updated Static Dungeons, and fully reworked treasure sites. (Note: this video includes subtitles for all our supported languages.)

For a written summary, click here: albiononline.com/news/devtalk-open-world-gameplay
    • Update looks good, I like open world stuff even in its current state. Really excited, I am just wondering if fishing is getting in the action with the other gathering skills? There is no sea/lake monster you can kill, no enchant bonuses, and fish pools always spawn in same spots. Any plans to update fishing to be more unpredictable and rewarding to those that fish in regions that aren't fished in much?

The post was edited 2 times, last by Yeirmay ().

• Looking forward to this update, everything looks pretty good.

However I must say, if there is a redesign in the rate of trash to discourage the zerg ganking.
      Zerg ganking is a cancer and will discourage people from fighting for the báus. After dying for 20, 30 people, the baus hunters used t4 flat and will become a rat chest.

I wonder how you intend to curb the ganking zerg?
    • Big alliances have scouts, so this changes wont help. They will still have monopoly. And you still do nothing to delete NAPs from game. Also, people now have to travel very far for to get good loot. Just long travel is not fun content for me. This is not walking simulator. Very bad update.
    • Kotikozavr1 wrote:

Big alliances have scouts, so this changes wont help. They will still have monopoly. And you still do nothing to delete NAPs from game. Also, people now have to travel very far for to get good loot. Just long travel is not fun content for me. This is not walking simulator. Very bad update.
      travelling far is part of this game. it wouldn't be called "open world" if you are staying on one area..
    • if the open world loot can drop 2-3 times more loot than corrupted dungeons over the same amount of time and effort spend then its worth traveling and looking for those mobs to kill
      (Time spend traveling included)

this is assuming the zone is uncontested for a long time and the mobs and rewards build up to that point
      https://forum.albiononline.com/index.php/Thread/155980-The-Forums-Could-Use-a-Night-Mode-Theme/

Contribute to Night Mode with the link above

FYI here is a picture me hugging Night Mode
    • LordNrixx wrote:

Kotikozavr1 wrote:

Big alliances have scouts, so this changes wont help. They will still have monopoly. And you still do nothing to delete NAPs from game. Also, people now have to travel very far for to get good loot. Just long travel is not fun content for me. This is not walking simulator. Very bad update.
      travelling far is part of this game. it wouldn't be called "open world" if you are staying on one area..
      I dont agree. Open world means you can travel everywhere. But this doesnt mean that you always must to travel very far from city. As far as I know, usually more people live in city than in area that is far from city.

P.S. Also I dont understand, is this sandbox game or no? First you add RZ event to game. Ok, only 1 event. But now you also adding dungeon event. What will happen next? Let people choose what they want to do in this game. Or you need to add quests and storyline too, if you dont want to do sandbox now. But it will be different game.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Kotikozavr1 ().

• @Tabor
      the open world changes works in such a way that value is generated when people are not doing content at the location

in mega alliance there will be people doing content hence the value will be lower if a number of people is doing said open world

therefore in Some areas where there is less content or when the main guild is currently sleeping / less people online at the time
      the value of the zone rises

this encourages people to spread out to do content and in smaller groups of 5 to 10 players per group
      5-10 people to fight in open world is still winnable

i highly doubt there are groups of 20 running the blackzone 24/7

- minus archganistan because arch land is arch land
      https://forum.albiononline.com/index.php/Thread/155980-The-Forums-Could-Use-a-Night-Mode-Theme/

• There are many threads about Solo random dungeons
      mainly about the 1min timer removal

but honestly i say keep the 1 min timer make it a safe content. and screw all the so call gankers who prey on the weak
      the low loot of solo random dungeons justify the safety of 1 min

make corrupted dungeons the place for invades and allow people to enjoy the loot scaling.
      the rate of invades is pretty low sometimes if no shine is taken due to the number of players invading at the time of day

make open world blackzone High risk and high reward. aka risk getting trampled by mega groups or walk away with loot that normally would be for 5 players if you play solo

long story short
      Solo random dungeons = Low Risk Low Reward
      Corrupted dungeons = Medium risk with some "fair PvP" for decent loot per hour
      Open world = Insane Loot with the risk to match

This is assuming Average loot gotten is from areas which have not been touch for long times resulting in insane loot due to the how the new system would work

• Tabor wrote:

Traveling means nothing when mega alliances already have HOs on all these zones. They can quickly and safely snap all this new shit up. You need to remove HOs to bring back any kind of OW play.
      I don't really disagree that HOs have been overwhelmingly negative so far, but in this reality SBI is never going to remove them. So as usual it tends to be better to live in the world as it is, rather than hope to be transported to a different reality. They have also been making HO changes somewhat more aggressively lately. So it's going to be another 3 months of gathering data.
    • with some of the hideout changes and implimentation of HQ
      we shall see how these changes affect the meta going forward before looking back at this topic

HQ and hideout changes looks good when they lay the plan out to round table members
      it allows active guilds to have a safe spot among the big alliances

once the changes are finalized and made into a dev talk
      then we get back to this topic yes?