Dev Talk: Biome Rework

• Dev Talk: Biome Rework

The next major content update for Albion Online, Lands Awakened, will bring major changes, improvements, and new features to open-world gameplay in Albion. In this video, Game Director Robin Henkys introduces the upcoming visual and structural redesigns planned for Albion's five biomes and discusses how they will affect the overall gameplay experience.

Note that this video includes subtitles for all our supported languages.

For a written summary, click here: albiononline.com/news/devtalk-biome-rework
    • When you said biome rework i certainly expected some new added models here and there
      not a full 100% map rework similar to league of legends and Dota 2

Now we talking. the game open world looks 100% different now
      nice very nice it was worth the 8 month wait for the art team to create this masterpiece of terrain overhaul

i will be looking forward to you adding new mobs / models of existing mobs and mob abilities in the coming months to complete the overhaul of the game's looks

P.S. Only small issue i have with the biome update is that the high tier highlands looks too purple.
      https://forum.albiononline.com/index.php/Thread/155980-The-Forums-Could-Use-a-Night-Mode-Theme/

Contribute to Night Mode with the link above

FYI here is a picture me hugging Night Mode

The post was edited 3 times, last by The_Support_God ().

• It looks good BUT this is only new colors, chokes, rivers, etc.

If you saw one kind of biome you saw every of them. Same mobs, same hills, same everything everywhere. And looks like nothing gonna change.

Why should I care how blue zones biomes looks like if I dont have even one reason to visit it.

We need REASONS for exploration. For example in world of warcraft I want to visit every house, every cave because inside can be rare mob or quest or easter-eggs – you never know!

Also if you want "Provide numerous opportunities for spontaneous, small- and mid-size open-world PvP" you have to start with reputations system change.
      Best killboard for your Discord:
      killboard-1.com/
      discord.gg/Mqf3KyjZSS
    • bro this update is mainly aimed at blackzone

reputation system for royals can stay where they are
      yes while the biome difference is nice in the royals but lets be honest what most gamers care about is the loot in blackzone

it is very similar to league of legends and dota where the map changes have some effect on game play but the real prize is the players/nexus

same as this where it is nice to have new chokes and less cluttered terrain but what we care about is the loot from the revamped mobs and the reworked open world loot
      https://forum.albiononline.com/index.php/Thread/155980-The-Forums-Could-Use-a-Night-Mode-Theme/

• "our goal is to bring back open world gameplay for Albion Online"

So why did you make solos despawn? Why are the dungeon loot tables all garbage? Why is the best money making method CDs? Why do hideouts exist? Seems like your goal was the push everyone into a safe little bubble. Visual update should bring big changes to these issues though. Way to go.
    • @seizethetaco
      this issue was a very long time in the works since back 2 years ago

at first there was no such thing as solo content as end game was either static dungeons or expeditions
      then to fix it they introduced group and solo dungeons but that came with many issues such as unfair fights and ect

from a post i read long ago
      they wrote that they wanted to fix the issue with green dungeon diving as it was unhealthy to always gang up on a single person green dungeons with numbers
      they wanted a fair 1v1 scenario where both sides can fight it out fairly

from the feedback of the community came corrupted dungeons which aim to reproduce the dungeon diving experience but on a fair 1v1 instead of the 1vX that the red gankers for solo dungeons are so used to
      from here we all can guess how that went. "hallow fall, tombhammer, badon, broadsword, guardian helmet"

here they also took the opportunity to make solo dungeons safer by making them close upon 1 min++ of waiting to distinguish between safer content and the more dangerous "corrupted dungeons"

then for small scale PvP and PvE they introduced roads of avalon because hideouts and mega alliances was a thing

then they fixed the faction system in the call to arms update
      and then they revamped hellgates for the sake of small scale content also

and the above things took roughly 2 years to sort out all the smaller scale content

after all this solo - small group content was updated and the loot tables for those content took up the majority of the black market
      the old open world loot tables and loot numbers just cannot compare against the newer content
      this made open world blackzone "dead" as the loot and number of players decreased

now to fix this open world next update they have taken a look at the loot tables in the open world and updated it as well to fit along with this update
      only time will tell if this would revive the open world "blackzone"

• The visuals are basically nice to have - the major request from me and potentially most customers is not visuals at all..

If someone tells me at the current state of the game ...as answer to all "current challenges" i give you nice visuals..

I probably would say "thanks, but you are providing me with a solution for a problem I don't have"

So happy to hear about pvp updated, excited for that content

@The_Support_God your statement is not true at all. Even in the offical release long after alpha and beta the game had true Solo dungeons.
      I learned my pvp their..it was not the best place but it was okay.

And in alpha and beta we had multilayer & multientrance solo dungeons.. but poof these indeed vanished and we had static solo dungeons..that was pvp hotspots

The post was edited 2 times, last by Trial_hard ().

• @Trial_hard
      this was way before i played so forgive me if i was inaccurate
      i started when before they patched in roads of avalon

solo dungeons at that time before roads was stupid

imagine being a reg bow main and having to deal with everyone running phy immune cultist robe , 30 sec demon boots and some other broken mechanic

and lets not talk about the dungeons/ fame farm method of the time.
      loot and fame before/after corrupted dungeons was like night and day because most of us do not have access to T8 solo dungeons next to carleon when the carleon realm gate was destroyed

and if we do they would be camped by the owner of the zone.

and lets be Real honest here the amount of loot in regular dungeons have never changed.
      it was just because corrupted dungeons slayer levels was a t8 dungeon and had better loot table and it was easier to run because you can chain the dungeon several times

it was the the perspective of players who enter slayer level corrupteds have their point of view changed

this point of view of corrupted dungeons solo is the best way for Solo players to make silver become the golden standard where every content is measured against

this made open world near worthless because it took 2 years to sort all the smaller content out that by the time they came full circle to this blackzone's VERY OLD LOOT TABLE is so out dated its practically a dead content

and this is why after the call to arms update there was a push to focus on Open world because all of the smaller scale /solo content have been mostly sorted out - ahem corrupted dungeons ahem unbalanced cough cough -

It is my sincerest wish that with this update they would finnaly put blackzone back in its proper place as the king of High Risk High Reward content in the game

• The_Support_God wrote:

@Trial_hard
      this was way before i played so forgive me if i was inaccurate
      i started when before they patched in roads of avalon

solo dungeons at that time before roads was stupid

imagine being a reg bow main and having to deal with everyone running phy immune cultist robe , 30 sec demon boots and some other broken mechanic

and lets not talk about the dungeons/ fame farm method of the time.
      loot and fame before/after corrupted dungeons was like night and day because most of us do not have access to T8 solo dungeons next to carleon when the carleon realm gate was destroyed

and if we do they would be camped by the owner of the zone.

and lets be Real honest here the amount of loot in regular dungeons have never changed.
      it was just because corrupted dungeons slayer levels was a t8 dungeon and had better loot table and it was easier to run because you can chain the dungeon several times

it was the the perspective of players who enter slayer level corrupteds have their point of view changed

this point of view of corrupted dungeons solo is the best way for Solo players to make silver become the golden standard where every content is measured against

this made open world near worthless because it took 2 years to sort all the smaller content out that by the time they came full circle to this blackzone's VERY OLD LOOT TABLE is so out dated its practically a dead content

and this is why after the call to arms update there was a push to focus on Open world because all of the smaller scale /solo content have been mostly sorted out - ahem corrupted dungeons ahem unbalanced cough cough -

It is my sincerest wish that with this update they would finnaly put blackzone back in its proper place as the king of High Risk High Reward content in the game
      actually there was a lot of good things in..

Power Fame farm required skill.. you went FF with 8 People in the BZ, full risk. No doors, no bells..

Agro Range was way bigger, tank could pull 20 mobs..and then the group unloaded..

There was regular pvp ..in these dungeons..group dives..

It was really good, and these dungeons had the best fame per hour..by far..
    • I'm a sucker for environments and aesthetic reworks so I was excited watching the video. Rewatching it, I don't see any new mobs or resources, weather or environmental effects, or any actual mechanical or gameplay changes. I'll try and stay optimistic, but I sincerely hope this isn't essentially a graphics update.
      Even a white rose has a black shadow.
    • Me gustan los cambios de los mapas, si también le ponéis imprevistos estarían genial
      Turbas de npcs, algún jefe escandalosamente fuerte en zonas aleatorias, que de repente parte de los mapas seguros no lo sean,
      y lo mismo en los peligrosos que por un tiempo tengan zonas seguras (estate mucho en una de esas zonas y te llevaras alguna sorpresa jeje)
      mazmorras verdes con trampas o caminos ocultos (mas ocultos) que te lleven a algún tesoro o te arrastren a una zona roja o negra (crees que te toco el gordo
      y luego apareces en zona negra rodeado de gankers jaja) lo inesperado es interesante y atractivo a mi parecer
    • The_Support_God wrote:

and i dont agree with what you say, i miss sustain items like the old cultist robe or guardian etc.
      Even legendary GH + cleric robe, may have been OP but it gave satisfaction and didn't force to take healer with you.

it was a real sandbox... everyone had a chance to use the same thing and wasn't limited, now we have everything simple copy paste ala MOBA... because soon someone who can't handle it starts crying on forums about balance etc.. etc.. and this is not what a sandbox should look like.
      It also made the number in the group count more than the skills and knowledge.

As for the thread, mega props, biomes look nice and finally they won't be repeating themselves like the current ones copy paste

I also like the lack of unnecessary CHOKE which are boriiing af in current maps.

Overall clarity and accessibility mega plus.(especially the snow biomes that made my eyes burn :D )
    • @Quagga
      i have to agree with you it was a true "sandbox" at the time where you have a diverse build which is Very OP in some scenarios against some builds
      it was OP build Vs OP build where whatever combination is better wins in a duel but only if they duke it out and not run around permanently because i know the build that were good at running at the time was very very good
      undead cape+ demon boots combo

but when it comes to a Fair 1v1 balance issues are bound to happen there is no way around it

Imagine Old albion online as Season 1 league of legends and the current albion after lands awaken as season 10 of league of legends where they had the map overhaul "elemental dragons patch" and the game was somewhat refined to have more balanced gameplay

this is what the game is going through right now

• I am playing this game for two years now. From a small scale player / small guild perspective content updates are usually one step forward, two steps back. I've seen to many content updates promising that it will finally improve smallscale content or the situation of small guilds.

Most of the time the changes are on one side huge (like introducing the roads, or a full biome update) but on the other side half hearted or at the expanse of other content. You created roads and hideouts for small guilds, but people don't use it because then they can't participate in black zone content because they loose the home binding. You changed that a while back so that roads home binding should not be lost, but it's still not working for 6+ weeks now. Then you make the large faction update, but guess what - Faction Group Dungeon diving is not worth anyones time, because the incentives to do group dungeons are not enough for people to go out. You introduce corrupted dungeons, but the loot is so busted that people make like 3m in an hour with just ratting. Anyone who wants to do corrupteds for PVP is frustrated by the rats. And people are not doing group dungeons because the loot is bad and the risks are to high to make a net profit.

I can go on and on with examples like these. And old players are leaving the game left and right because content is stale or destroyed and they have grown impatient because the fix is not coming for months or years. Many started playing New World although they would prefer to play a full loot PVP game (Albion). I can only shake my head seeing the direction of the game and the obvious blind spots SBI has.

A simple change to the group dungeon loot table would have revived some smallscale content. But such a change has not happened in months. There are many examples for simple effective solutions like this. Your biome changes look awesome though, we have to see about the remaining changes.