Good NDA changes today retroman

• Hattenhair wrote:

@Deathskills
      Separate balancing for instanced content definetly not happening, CRD's are not getting removed either, obviously.
      The only sensible solution, as you have said, is the reward distrubution for different types of content, ideally more people taking part of something should yield better rewards per person than if all of them were to go do solo content.
      Although you dont want to plummet the solo content rewards into the gutter since that's the main player growth source.

On the topic of "power creeping": I think in a good chunk of cases giving weapons and armour multiple uses rather than a single one greatly improves variability and viability of those gear items.
      In my opinion every armour shoud provide 1-2 or in some rare cases 3 non-universal utility options or a single universal utility option like healing or flat resistance increases: Soldier Helmet is a good example of combining I-Frames and Mobility, yet cooldowns should be buffed slightly to be on-par with boot-slot gear, Mercenary Jacket is a good example of an item with a single defined universal utility option.
      Every weapon E ideally needs to have 2-3 ways to be dealt with aswell, any combination of interrupts, purges and I-Frames is employabe, and most weapons already follow that philosophy.
      But you definetly need to pay attention of not overdoing it: examples are bows having hard CC on a 5s cooldown Q despite being an RDPS role, or Black Hands having the ability to counter ~90%+ of defensives in the whole game just by pressing E, at the same time requiring no stack requirements and being instant-cast, to both of which my only question is "Why?".

Overall the topic of "Soft-counters" is quite broad, so I'd just leave it here for now.
      fully agree with you, just feel like some solutions made were due to being the less expensive option that seem to make sense at the time.

Balancing so many weapons throughout so much content is hell. however, at some point is it a mmo game (aka playing with other players against other players since it is full loot) or is it a solo game? This should show the main focus and since the cd's update the actual balancing for groups instead of solo were more than minimal until recently (which are great changes for zergs and some of the 5's meta at minimum).

obviously, we can't ignore cd's existing and staying. i do know that.

Just feel that Retroman was pretty clear he aimed at rock-paper-scissor gameplay for HG and CD's are just 1v1 HG at the end of the day. so this applies there too. not all items should be to counter all (looking at you cleric cowl). And people need to bitch about that being an issue since they want the one build do it all.

So yeah, the specifics how to deal for everything can be really hard. and i don't mind some builds only being good at one thing and one thing only while others are more varied and so on. the moment there is more than 2-3 builds to partake on about same "success" rate at "equal" skill is what matters and shows it's mostly healthy.

So at the end it still comes down to the paper-scissors-rock forced playstyle that seem to be aimed at since HG got equipment swap locked way back (which removed lots of skill from the game and cost to prepare for some fights imo)
    • Probably an unpopular opinion but i partially disagree with the Spear AA nerf and here are my reasons why

Spear is a unique and rewarding weapon because it doesn't automatically lose to other classes (think Claymore vs Frost/Bow as a pure hard counter). Additionally most of the E's, Harpoon, and Impaler are all skill shots and if I miss or mess up I usually lose but if I play well and hit them I am rewarded usually with a victory. Compare that with a Curse that has zero outplay potential and everything is tied to auto target or auto attack. They dont require skill to play and simply just run their combo; it is on their opponent to outplay them.

With the nerf to Spear its going to become increasingly unpopular due to Q2 abuse (which is where the nerf is needed). Q1 is a semi-skillshot and should not be impacted by the nerf as our ramp up time to get to max stacks is longer AND we can be purged for a lot of value.

My prediction with this change is the spear tree will be heavily abandoned which removes competition for bows/maces/tombhammers, etc. The popularity of these will in turn cause things like Sword and Curse to disappear because that they will struggle greatly to deal with kiters and the next meta will be back to speed and infinite reset.
    • Painball wrote:

Probably an unpopular opinion but i partially disagree with the Spear AA nerf and here are my reasons why

Spear is a unique and rewarding weapon because it doesn't automatically lose to other classes (think Claymore vs Frost/Bow as a pure hard counter). Additionally most of the E's, Harpoon, and Impaler are all skill shots and if I miss or mess up I usually lose but if I play well and hit them I am rewarded usually with a victory. Compare that with a Curse that has zero outplay potential and everything is tied to auto target or auto attack. They dont require skill to play and simply just run their combo; it is on their opponent to outplay them.

With the nerf to Spear its going to become increasingly unpopular due to Q2 abuse (which is where the nerf is needed). Q1 is a semi-skillshot and should not be impacted by the nerf as our ramp up time to get to max stacks is longer AND we can be purged for a lot of value.

My prediction with this change is the spear tree will be heavily abandoned which removes competition for bows/maces/tombhammers, etc. The popularity of these will in turn cause things like Sword and Curse to disappear because that they will struggle greatly to deal with kiters and the next meta will be back to speed and infinite reset.
      i agree but disagree with you. i agree nerf should be heavily limited when linked to skillshots because well they require more skill than just press x button.

However, spear Q always had a long reach and decent damage so those could be tweaked a little to nerf the weapon a bit since the w's and E's for lots of them are fine due to them being a skill shot imo.

but that is the struggle of balancing 1vs1 content in a game that as way more than just 1vs1 pvp on top of having to think about the pve too
    • Painball wrote:

Probably an unpopular opinion but i partially disagree with the Spear AA nerf and here are my reasons why

How can you agree that melle weapon has more range and dmg than most skillshot weapons.

promoting autoattack should be removed...+ synergy with lifesteal food is broken enough to heal 100+ per hit
      which gives not only that autoattack deals more damage than skillshots but also negates dmg with lifesteal..

the scope of the swap that spear has should be a high skillcap weapon and not a braindead spacesmasher simulator.
    • @Quagga
      Don't forget that the initial deal-breaker for spears was the AA damage per stack buff from 35% to 40%.
      Spears instantly went from utter-garbage tier to overtuned in a single patch day, followed by spirithunter rework which introduced them to ZvZ.
      I fear that if the AA stacks go as low as 32% spears simply might not have enough damage in their kit to compete with other weapon lines, since thats their main damage source. Sustain damage was overtuned for sure, but that's no reason to create swords 2.0 for 2 seasons again.
      - You're a monster.
      - Am I?
    • @Quagga for your information
      resilience penetration does not increase damage in 1v1 scenarios.
      it is not armor penetration

resilience penetration starts to take effect if the target has the focus fire buff from taking damage from multiple players
      and even then it only starts to matter when the number of players reach 10 and above
      https://forum.albiononline.com/index.php/Thread/155980-The-Forums-Could-Use-a-Night-Mode-Theme/

Contribute to Night Mode with the link above

FYI here is a picture me hugging Night Mode
    • Quagga wrote:

Painball wrote:

How can you agree that melle weapon has more range and dmg than most skillshot weapons.
      promoting autoattack should be removed...+ synergy with lifesteal food is broken enough to heal 100+ per hit
      which gives not only that autoattack deals more damage than skillshots but also negates dmg with lifesteal..

the scope of the swap that spear has should be a high skillcap weapon and not a braindead spacesmasher simulator.
      My argument was that the nerf should only apply to Q2 which is pure auto attack dmg and has the range buff. Q1 spear only gives AA dmg, must be aimed, has a slow ramp up, and does not get a range bonus.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Painball ().

• Painball wrote:

spears are too strong at the moment, specially in 2v2 hellgates, there is no weapon that compare to it.
      they just ran straight pressing Q and dealing auto-attack damage and just this itself is enough to beat a healer comp, the DPS is too fucking high and there's no counter-play to it.
    • Holy fall could get a little buff now that the healers have been practically removed from the CDG, because the healers are so increasingly nerfed by the CDG and you're so focused on this horrible content that you forget there isn't just cdg in albion, the holy fall is horrible in all content, just like the other staffs compared to what it was before the release of this game-killing junk content, so now that the healer dealing damage while healing issue has been resolved I think they could bring back some of the power of healers outside the CDG.
    • The nerf on the spear was more than deserved and I hope to see even more nerfs on this braindead weapon that only walks forward and does basic attack and does more damage than any other weapon in the game and still has Slow, Rooting and Bumps on every weapon. its abilities, it's simply a mocking weapon made for brainless players.