New 2.5s Bow Buff Time Feels Terrible

• Combat Balance
    • New 2.5s Bow Buff Time Feels Terrible

So the bow changes got added in with the latest patch.

The 2 major changes were the ramp-up changes, which reduced the amount of bonus you get from each Bow attack stack, but increased the capped amount of stacks available, and the buff uptime changes.

With the ramp-up changes, this means it takes longer to ramp-up into maximum attack speed/damage. I think this was a great tweaking point to balance the ramp-up damage potential for bow. This effectively makes it take longer and do less damage overall (since you're losing a bit of damage having to get an additional stack).

However, the bow attack buff being only 2.5 seconds feels absolutely awful to use. I know it was tweaked to give enemies the chance to back off and make the bow drop their stacks easier, but literally halving the time the bow stacks last is not the right answer.

Maybe it's a duration thing. Maybe something like 3.5 seconds or 4 seconds wouldn't feel so terrible. Maybe there's additional mechanics that need to be added. But in the current iteration, you can take 3 steps to avoid a mob aoe skill, for example, and your stacks are gone. Pretty much the *only* way to maintain stacks is if someone is in range and you pretty much don't have to move absolutely 100% of the time. There can definitely be some tweaking done to make it better, but the bottom line is that a Bow user having to take a couple steps shouldn't be cause for dropping all the attack stacks.

Please look into making an adjustment to this. I've been using Reg bow for over 2 years and have been 700/700 in bows for ages now. I'd take tweaks to reduce the total stack damage/attack speed bonus, or dare I say even arrow count changes over this. The stacks don't mean anything if they drop when you're forced to do literally anything but stand in place.
    • A better solution may be to split the buff.

5 second attack speed buff, 2.5 second damage buff,

This strikes a balance as you can easily lose the damage buff, but if they can't keep you off them for a full 5 seconds, you can at least build it back up quicker.
    • Fikule wrote:

A better solution may be to split the buff.

5 second attack speed buff, 2.5 second damage buff,

This strikes a balance as you can easily lose the damage buff, but if they can't keep you off them for a full 5 seconds, you can at least build it back up quicker.
      I definitely agree this would be a nice way to adjust it. It would make it feel much better than it does currently.