Crossbow Q range

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I think nerv is not the solution.

I suggest code change is needed

You see this on most channeled abilities.. once the channel started it almost doesn't check range requirements any more..

Fire artillery ..bolts..jump boots..

So make the distance requirements check more often and all is fine..
    • I hate this about the crossbow. The issue is that the max range is not the max range, its the max range to start the channel, and it continues on so far back it is insane. Personally I feel like if you cast it at max range, it should break just past that. The carry distance of the channel is just ridiculous imo.
      Hop on in to my Discord and Twitch ^^
    • Khladraven wrote:

I hate this about the crossbow. The issue is that the max range is not the max range, its the max range to start the channel, and it continues on so far back it is insane. Personally I feel like if you cast it at max range, it should break just past that. The carry distance of the channel is just ridiculous imo.
      The thing is... if you apply this for this spell you have to apply the same treatment to every spell that works with this same exact type of interaction (basically any single target channel and cast based spell). Some has their main bread and butter dps revoling around it (example fire frost single target Q's) which work the exact same way. By your take you can single handedly full counter fire and frost staff by just waving front to back in order to break his cast every single time... at least ranged vs ranged (but melee can abuse this easily too at some point). This game mechanic is a staple used by the vast majority of game of that genre, even triple A's ones and the reason is obvious.

Now yeah of course in that case it doesn't seem fair and i understand it. My take about that situation and i think it's a better solution overall is to basically put that spell on 2s cd like explosive bolt, adapt the damage and channel duration according to the cd and suddently it doesn't feel like the range is an issue anymore.

Maybe you can't avoid the full channel now since the channeling is shorter but in order to deal the damage he can do with the current auto-fire he has to commit to the cast range every 2s which is a big deal for both sides and overall a better and healthier situation.
    • Owlsane wrote:

Khladraven wrote:

I hate this about the crossbow. The issue is that the max range is not the max range, its the max range to start the channel, and it continues on so far back it is insane. Personally I feel like if you cast it at max range, it should break just past that. The carry distance of the channel is just ridiculous imo.
      The thing is... if you apply this for this spell you have to apply the same treatment to every spell that works with this same exact type of interaction (basically any single target channel and cast based spell). Some has their main bread and butter dps revoling around it (example fire frost single target Q's) which work the exact same way. By your take you can single handedly full counter fire and frost staff by just waving front to back in order to break his cast every single time... at least ranged vs ranged (but melee can abuse this easily too at some point). This game mechanic is a staple used by the vast majority of game of that genre, even triple A's ones and the reason is obvious.
      Now yeah of course in that case it doesn't seem fair and i understand it. My take about that situation and i think it's a better solution overall is to basically put that spell on 2s cd like explosive bolt, adapt the damage and channel duration according to the cd and suddently it doesn't feel like the range is an issue anymore.

Maybe you can't avoid the full channel now since the channeling is shorter but in order to deal the damage he can do with the current auto-fire he has to commit to the cast range every 2s which is a big deal for both sides and overall a better and healthier situation.
      It is on every other spell, but every other spell has small cast times. This vs the ranged channel time of the crossbow is very, very different. The change in position possible in the time of a fire or frost Q cast time is very different from the change in position possible during the xbow Q channel.

Honestly they are not comparable at all, as with frost/fire you would have to go with long cast times to give better tracking range, which would be less damage, so counter intuitive for the most part, and even then the cut off distance for cast spells is still much shorter it seems than the channel.
      Hop on in to my Discord and Twitch ^^