Question regarding placement of island

• Question regarding placement of island

I’ve settled on sticking around Thetford for the time being, since I am grinding for t6 fiber gathering. Secondarily I want to level skinning and maybe wood cutting, both of which I can do in this region. I am also thinking about doing hunter crafting which would involve a lot of skin/leather, or maybe mage crafting which would involve a lot of fiber/cloth, but am not sure yet about what, if any, crafting I would want to get into.

I am at a point where I want to build my island, as I would really like to start getting into farming and maybe raising some animals. I am thinking it makes sense to just build it here in Thetford. 1. Does that make sense? 2. Can I still move it one time for free/how difficult is it to demolish and move everything later on? 3. Should I wait until I find a guild so I know where the guild island will be located?
    • It is good to have an island and passive income come with it after some initial investment. Don't wait for a guild but rather look for a guild in your city. No, you can't move it and it's more of a chore than anything else if you do decide to move. You would need to demolish everything (you will get 90% of the mats back during that process), abandon the island and then purchase a new one in the new city. Note that Tier level of the island would remain. If you had a T6 island in 1 city which you abandoned when you make a new purchase in another city the island would still be level 6.

Remember not to build any crafting and refining stations on your island as they don't get any resource return rates making them just a massive waste of time, money and effort. New (and some not so new players) can't grasp the fact that having laborers which make constant income will always outweigh the amount of tax that having their own shops would "save" them when they get around to craft those few items every once in a while. Meanwhile station requires upgrades to reach highest tier (which have a significant cost) and upkeep. The only things good to have other then farms and houses are: a butcher (has it's own small natural spot on the island and does not come at the expense of a house). As butcher has no natural resource returns in any city you actually only benefit from having it. Same can be said for a Mill although you would need to give up one of the houses in order to have a mill. Last thing that can kind of be ok-ish to have is a saddler but this only if you decide to produce mounts.

There you go. My 2c.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Worros ().

• Worros wrote:

It is good to have an island and passive income come with it after some initial investment. Don't wait for a guild but rather look for a guild in your city. No, you can't move it and it's more of a chore than anything else if you do decide to move. You would need to demolish everything (you will get 90% of the mats back during that process), abandon the island and they purchase a new one in the new city. Note that Tier level of the island would remain. If you had a T6 island in 1 city which you abandoned when you make a new purchase in another city the island would still be level 6.

Remember not to build any crafting and refining stations on your island as they don't get any resource return rates making them just a massive waste of time, money and effort. New (and some not so new players) can't grasp the fact that having laborers which make constant income will always outweigh the amount of tax that having their own shops would "save" them when they get around to craft those few items every once in a while. Meanwhile station requires upgrades to reach highest tier (which have a significant cost) and upkeep. The only things good to have other then farms and houses are: a butchers (has it's own small natural spot on the island and does not come at the expense of a house. As butcher has no natural resource returns in any city you actually only benefit from having it. Same can be said for a Mill although you would need to give up one of the houses in order to have a mill. Last thing that can kind of be ok-ish to have is a saddler but this only if you decide to produce mounts.

There you go. My 2c.

Thanks for the response. That was super helpful! Appreciate ya, man.

Any thoughts on the popularity of thet for guild islands? Are certain royal cities more popular/easier to find good guilds in?

I also wonder if it would be viable to look to the mountain region for a guild, since that royal city isn’t too terribly far away either. Let me know if you have thoughts on that.

Thanks again!