Mentorship system and lethal arena could popularize 5v5 crystal

• 5v5 Crystal League
    • Mentorship system and lethal arena could popularize 5v5 crystal

This suggestion comes from my profound conviction that one of the best content albion has to offer is 5v5 crystals. I honestly think this has the potential of dethroning League of legends / overwatch, or at least be on par with them as an E-sport. The full loot nature of crystal 5v5 gives sponsoring team a new deeper dimension. This might just be a fancy dream of mine but here I will state one of the main reasons that are preventing that from happening and a suggestion to remedy that and unleash the full potential of crystal 5v5.

There is no need to hide that I am a fan of the 5v5 crystals. I have been watching them for over 6 months and have occasionally been able to find a team to get into them at my beginner LvL. I think 5v5 crystals are not taking off as they could is because they are not really accessible. In spite of the awesome work done by the Albion TV team trying to popularize this content, there is so few teams competing at the higher levels. This maybe partially because of how hard is to get sponsored for those if the team has not yet proven itself to be good enough for a sponsorship. The real reason why there is so few teams is because making those teams is hard. Progressing the skill level of the team is a even harder and requires consistent dedication. But most of all, it requires a lot of knowledge : HowTo knowledge that is currently only mastered by the old experienced players.

Making guides for 5v5 crystal (the same goes for HGs) is extremely hard because the meta always changes and hence newer guides will be needed frequently (here is a hint for you YTbuers). The monthly meta snapshot that Lewpac stopped publishing was actually extremely useful in getting people to at least know what builds to equip when they finally manage to put up a team and dive into a LvL 1 of 5v5 crystal. The awesome commentaries and illustrations done by Tazzik explains some of the overall positioning tactics that experienced teams overwhelm their opponents with. But this barely scratches the surface of what these teams do so well during these fights and fool new comers to believe that it is easy to do the same. For starters, there is the understanding of each individual player role and what he/she is expected to be doing and here alone there is several thresholds for mastering each role/build. Next, there is understanding how a player actually perform his/her role while surviving the havoc from the opponent team ... more thresholds of skilling up each role to master it. Then comes the most important thing and that is putting all the roles together in synergy and know what to communicate to team mates and when. In all honesty, there is layers above layers of individual and team skills to be mastered before a team can climb the ladders to the high levels. When you watch those high level teams fight so beautifully and they seem to function as a team like clock work, it makes you dream of achieving the same performance after your team has put-in enough effort and dedication to improve. However, there is always the question of how to start and where. I believe the following suggestion will help paving the road for serious players/teams to get into this type of high end content and consequently popularize it. Simply put, I am suggesting to create incentive for old experienced players to coach other less experienced and beginners by adding what I am calling a Mentorship System.

Here is a set of rules that could be used to implement a sponsorship system and popularize this awesome realm of 5v5:

Mentor status : can be unlocked in exchange for 10x LvL 4 tokens (5v5). A mentor can take a limited number of apprentices and this limit could be set to 20 apprentices. Requirements for a mentor to accept an apprentice to be one of his/her apprentices is up to him/her.

Apprentice status : is enabled when an apprentice find a mentor and links his character with the mentor character. An apprentice could link his character with extremely limited number of mentors and this limit could be set to 3.

The training of the apprentices consist of the mentor taking 4 apprentices in party with him/her to actually do the 5v5 crystals where he/she would be coaching them on discord in real time. The training could be using an in-game queue to scrim with other trainee teams all day long just like queuing for arena. The winner trainee team could receive rewards similarly to the current arena winner teams. I don't think those should be limited to 3 a day like arenas. In addition to those rewards, the apprentices in the winner trainee team receive Apprentice Experience Points and the mentor receives Honor Points. The training grounds could be extended to non-lethal
      HGs where the winner team may not receive those Apprentice and Honor Points (unless the devs make it possible), but the mentor should not lose infamy in non-lethal HG if he is with a full team of his/her apprentices : 4 of them. The apprentices on the other hand can lose their infamy as usual.

Both the apprentice experience points and honor points can not be lost once acquired. Upon accumulation of certain number of apprentice experience points, that apprentice graduates the training automatically freeing his/her spot in the mentor list. The mentor also receive a mentor token each time one of his/her apprentices graduate. If an apprentice linked his/her character to multiple mentors, the apprentice should chose only one of them to receive the mentor token upon graduation. A mentor can exchange his/her honor points along with mentor tokens for exclusive skins, exclusive mounts, or 8.3 master piece items of his/her choice.

After graduation, the character can apply to be apprentice again with other or same mentor for other roles if they so wishes. I see no reason to limit this. I think a winning trainee team should receive more experience points and honor points if they go into lethal HG or if they win LvL 2 or above crystal, in addition to the usual rewards they normally receive from those. This should accelerate the graduation of apprentices after they aquire some basic skills.

I hope the community of Albion likes this mentorship suggestion and pushes to fine tune it and make it happen as it would IMO popularize the 5v5 content and create good memories and nice bonds between the mentors and apprentices witch can only result into a more flourished and blossomed community.

With love, Ellessam
    • I'm not sure that would be enough for someone to take on the extra responsibility of molding people into a capable 5v5 competitor.

Right now, it's a hobby. That hobby is probably already taking up a big portion of their free time.

Also, I don't think there's any MMORPG that is an E-sport yet. I'm not saying it's not possible and I think it will become a thing in the future. However, big companies that sponsor don't like to take risks and stick with tried and true methods of making money.

Which brings up another point. We would need the data for how many people are watching this content at any given time. Does it have a large following? Is it exciting to watch for the average person that doesn't know anything about 5v5 Crystal Leagues?

That metric would actually be the bottom line for whether it could become a E-sport being sponsored or not. They won't put money into something with a small following of people that will actually watch the content.

Getting more people to compete at high level 5v5 is one thing. The more important part is how many people watch it.
    • ThirdEyePULSE wrote:

We would need the data for how many people are watching this content at any given time. Does it have a large following? Is it exciting to watch for the average person that doesn't know anything about 5v5 Crystal Leagues?

Getting more people to compete at high level 5v5 is one thing. The more important part is how many people watch it.
      This is actually a valid point. While I dont have a conclusive answer, I can put forward 2 facts.
      1. The view numbers of albion tv youtube chanel and 5v5 in particular are not that great. Same goes for twitch despite the raffle incentive. I think this might be cuz the 5v5 content is not really accessible and is still behind multiple hidden walls as outlined in the original post.
      2. This inaccessibilty turns into incomprehensiveness for non albion players. I tried to get my real-life friend to watch the last clc with me and he could not follow what is happening despite me explaining what is going on. This friend and my self are huge fans and veteran players of the e-port : starcraft 2.

So, again getting more crowd for the 5v5 revolves around getting more ppl to actually try to play this content. This crowd needs coaching, personal coaching, to get it started. What other incentives you can think of to motivate vets and experienced players to actually coach the new commers ?

The post was edited 1 time, last by Ellessam ().

• ok. How about we forget about making crystal 5v5 an e-sport and think about how to to popularize this content and get more teams into it. I mean let us be real here, we all want the championship to be the level 10 and only have teams that have actually won a level 9 in it. The only way to achieve that is by having more teams fighting for it. For that to be a reality, not only we need the level 3, 4 to step up their game, we actually need more level 1 teams to gain confidence to step up the ladder. While financing those new comers is not that worth it for guilds to sponsor, is there another option but to give incentives for the more experienced players to coach the newer teams?
    • you simply cant coach whole teams.
      even a single new player inside a veteran team is difficulty and a long way.
      people has to play the content to improve but they prefer wasting theyr albion time in t5 yellow rd and hce that dont drop loot or fame.
      90% of the playerbase is "full casual". dont wanna hurt your dreams ^^
    • CallMeGosu wrote:

you simply cant coach whole teams.
      people has to play the content to improve but they prefer wasting theyr albion time in t5 yellow rd and hce that dont drop loot or fame.
      Supposing you are right and 90 % of the player baes is full casual, it would still make sense to give incentives to the veterans to coach new comers and help them move up the ladder. I think it only takes a little guidance to help a team to step up to lethal content if the team is persistent and won't disband after few loses or 1 of them getting excited to use high tuned voice.

On a side note, my dream is to see pug parties form for lethal hg or crystals as simply and as popularly as they do for lethal ff. Hell, even if this is only done within guilds or alliances.
    • No it will not , and will never be popular content ,if they will devolope it in such way. SBI is just artificially creating hype around it.
      ---
      There is only one way how you can make it popular - it is accessibility, and im not talking about IP caps etc.

We need pub gameplay like in Dota/LoL , where solo players would randomly gather (by automatic que system,like Arena) into teams and participate in this content with full loot. Yes, there will be chaos and lots of complains.
      =>But it is the only solution how to make it popular.
    • The key breaking point for Crystals is - silver.

The cost to fund regular 5v5s is unsustainable for the average player or average guild. As such competitive crystal teams are the domain of the high-end guilds who are able to fund these players. These guilds receive a silver net-loss by funding these teams.

The only way to make crystals accessible to the masses would be to change it to "free gear up" and "no-loot". But then this undermines one of the core mechanics of Albion, being full loot pvp. Making auto-queue pugs will not improve the content, as when you enter a match with a team in troll gear, you'll just tent yourself as you would be unwilling to throw away gear because a healer has turned up with a Rampant staff, or your tank is using a bedrock.
    • Ellessam wrote:

CallMeGosu wrote:

you simply cant coach whole teams.
      Supposing you are right and 90 % of the player baes is full casual, it would still make sense to give incentives to the veterans to coach new comers and help them move up the ladder. I think it only takes a little guidance to help a team to step up to lethal content if the team is persistent and won't disband after few loses or 1 of them getting excited to use high tuned voice.
      On a side note, my dream is to see pug parties form for lethal hg or crystals as simply and as popularly as they do for lethal ff. Hell, even if this is only done within guilds or alliances.
      i would like to see the same but it wont happen by helping teams.
      its like in other games. take 5 silver players in league and give them some tips. they wont be diamond simply by giving them some tips.
      same goes for albion. its hard work to set a feet into this content and most players are not willed to do this work.
      they prefer to hang around in hce. hce does not give any fame or money compared to hellgates but u have no work, its simple shit. watch a yt vid and your done, your in the content.
      you wont cure the lazynes by giving them tips....
    • CallMeGosu wrote:

Quagga wrote:

@Equart absolutely. It would kill OW completely...
      we need an end game goal for GVG, season points alone which practically no one cares about is not something "worth" engaging.
      ow content is not dead because of other content. its dead because it sucks....
      it's dead because of offering the lowest rewards out of all other available activities (HCE, CD,HG offer way more gains than OW can and cgvg too but they can risk ow to level up terries).

noxmortus wrote:

The key breaking point for Crystals is - silver.

The cost to fund regular 5v5s is unsustainable for the average player or average guild. As such competitive crystal teams are the domain of the high-end guilds who are able to fund these players. These guilds receive a silver net-loss by funding these teams.

The only way to make crystals accessible to the masses would be to change it to "free gear up" and "no-loot". But then this undermines one of the core mechanics of Albion, being full loot pvp. Making auto-queue pugs will not improve the content, as when you enter a match with a team in troll gear, you'll just tent yourself as you would be unwilling to throw away gear because a healer has turned up with a Rampant staff, or your tank is using a bedrock.
      never was once you win more than 50% of your match up without too many deaths, only is when you lose more matches than you win (aka play out of your skill range)
    • gmatagmis wrote:

noxmortus wrote:

a healer has turned up with a Rampant staff, or your tank is using a bedrock.
      MMR?

Arena does not serve a purpose anymore. If anything arena should be changed to constant level 1 scrims using the crystal format. They are not the scheduled points giving crystals, but exposing of the format and playstyle to new players. This introduces them to crystals with at no cost and allows them to find players they may want to form a team with.

MMR only works when you have enough people to create a hierarchy. At the moment there are not enough consistently doing crystals to justify this. You can play crystals every day and run into the same team 3-4 times over the course of the week.
    • I don't know why the devs blatant ignore this:

1) As soon as there is significant risk people need training and coordination if they compete as a group

2) If I launch mobile, i focus on easy to consume content with not too much coordinaton and time need

This is the reason 2+ up to 10+ content is dead

Unfortunately 1 on 1 HG or more solo and small scale content is continually ignored

Leading to CD the only bsolo content which already lacks and has a lot of issues

And leave city duel out of this equation it is no format for 1 on 1 content..