How to know the top tier equipment in current version?

• How to know the top tier equipment in current version?

Newbie here. I wish to know how do people know what equipment to choose? How to obtain that information? I am using Great Axe for solo PVE, but somebody says this version the best weapon is light crossbow. I checked online and found that Great Axe was balanced before, making it less efficient. But how could he knows this information? Where did he get it?
    • Hi there,

This is a very broad question, sadly I can only give you a very broad answer to it: It comes with experience.

The best way to gain any kind of knowledge about game meta is usually to join an active guild and have them teach you :) (in my experience at least)

Other than that, there are plenty of YouTubers and Twitch streamers out there with guides on every kind of content, those are a great help.

Generally speaking, there is no "best weapon" for anything. It's your whole build that plays together and I have come across plenty of very well-working strategies on my adventures.

If you want to build your own working set, try going at it from an analytical standpoint. What is it you can improve on? Clear speed? -> need more AOE damage. Are you running out of mana? -> incorporate an item that restores mana. Running out of HP? -> look for life leech or health-restoring solutions.

Another thing you can have a look at is the character builder: albiononline.com/en/characterbuilder/

people post a lot of great builds there, it's worth having a look at and trying out some stuff.

And one last thing that comes to mind are the patch notes: Patch Notes

Whenever there is an update the patch notes will describe what exactly was changed. People look through that and see "oh this was nerved" or "oh this is OP now" and the meta changes once more.

On a final note, there really never is only ONE way to go at something, if everyone was playing the same then that strategy wouldn't work anymore. Of course, people have put a lot of time and effort into building their builds before and it is a good idea to look at it to see how they make it work, but it is never a "this is the one way to go" kind of thing. Especially when it comes to solo content.

Of course, when it comes to group PvP it is a little more complicated since you are usually expected to fulfill a specific purpose in your party, so that is the exception where I would say "listen to the veterans", but for PvE and especially solo, I would like to encourage you to just try out stuff and see what works.

I hope that made sense and this helped you a little bit. :)

Kind regards,

Nesnes
    • Nesnes wrote:

Hi there,

This is a very broad question, sadly I can only give you a very broad answer to it: It comes with experience.

The best way to gain any kind of knowledge about game meta is usually to join an active guild and have them teach you :) (in my experience at least)

Other than that, there are plenty of YouTubers and Twitch streamers out there with guides on every kind of content, those are a great help.

Generally speaking, there is no "best weapon" for anything. It's your whole build that plays together and I have come across plenty of very well-working strategies on my adventures.

If you want to build your own working set, try going at it from an analytical standpoint. What is it you can improve on? Clear speed? -> need more AOE damage. Are you running out of mana? -> incorporate an item that restores mana. Running out of HP? -> look for life leech or health-restoring solutions.

Another thing you can have a look at is the character builder: albiononline.com/en/characterbuilder/

people post a lot of great builds there, it's worth having a look at and trying out some stuff.

And one last thing that comes to mind are the patch notes: Patch Notes

Whenever there is an update the patch notes will describe what exactly was changed. People look through that and see "oh this was nerved" or "oh this is OP now" and the meta changes once more.

On a final note, there really never is only ONE way to go at something, if everyone was playing the same then that strategy wouldn't work anymore. Of course, people have put a lot of time and effort into building their builds before and it is a good idea to look at it to see how they make it work, but it is never a "this is the one way to go" kind of thing. Especially when it comes to solo content.

Of course, when it comes to group PvP it is a little more complicated since you are usually expected to fulfill a specific purpose in your party, so that is the exception where I would say "listen to the veterans", but for PvE and especially solo, I would like to encourage you to just try out stuff and see what works.

I hope that made sense and this helped you a little bit. :)

Kind regards,

Nesnes
      Thank you. These suggestions are inspiring.