Future level 120 is silly.

• Some people like grinding for the sake of it / the process of it to be fair. Like I bet there'd be older players that wouldn't mind just chatting while doing a fame farm (what hellgates feel like sometimes), and the bump to 120 gives some of that back.

It seems like another balancing mechanic to make it easier for new players to catch up, and since this is a game that relies on players to be content for each other, reducing part of the catch-up grind might be good for the game if it means more people are playing.
    • She0gorath wrote:

What if you can only have one elite weapon specialization per tree? You know, with the option to switch to another by resetting the current one and stuff. It would make for a good silver sink and it would be less OP :D

Edit: Most people are concerned about the grind. You won’t have to grind as much if it’s only one :rolleyes:
      Yup, that's what word "elite" means, and something i expected when i first saw news about it. And boy, i really hope it will be that way.
      I'm just expecting a worst-case scenario somehow (why would I, indeed) when to get the full potential of your favorite weapon you will have to get 120 lvl for every weapon in that tree. That would be a huge blow to stand. I already can barely bear PvE here to get at least one spec. And with solo\duo ganking being not that lucrative (compare it with 10 ppl sitting whole day on one spot in bz) there aren't much opportunities to spec up with only pvp.

awanmakan wrote:

Makes me question why add "Fame Farming" to spec up your equip? There's already the T1 to T8.3 to scale item power, the fame level is just to shit on newer inexperienced players.

And if sense of progression is what they wanted to make? The gathering of resources is great for that, T4 tool to mine T5&below resource to make T5 tool. And the half drop half destroy on death makes progression worth it, makes you climb up that Tier again if you don't have backup items/money.
      Not everyone wants to gather, you know. Progression is needed, player's efforts should be rewarded. If SBI will actually make getting to 100 easier, and allow only one weapon per tree to be elite (or if elite specialization won't give bonuses to other weapons in tree), then it should be better, for newer\solo players at least.
    • Metteia wrote:

Yay!!! More gap between rich and poor, old and new. What a marvelous decision! Am i gonna be rekt by dude in t3 with 1300 ip now? xD

Seriously speaking though - more grind is really silly decision game-wise. We already have to grind to unlock some VITAL abilities for weapons (looking at you arcane), and now its even more.

I understand that progression is needed, and veteran players should be rewarded for their time and efforts. But we are speaking about FULL LOOT pvp here. Newer players will have to risk expensive equipment for a chance to kill more experienced player, while having less funds, connections and game knowledge. And risk for what? To get from veteran that t5-6 equip that gives him much higher ip than you will ever have in the next few months?

Does it mean that new players will HAVE TO join some ARCH, and stay low, grinding these dungeons with 3 variations 24/7?
      And what if i dont want to? What if i came to game which key feature is a fool loot pvp in open world, for, you know, actual pvp?
      It’s already pretty hard to find it, so i have to turn pk near Carleon for a chance to kill someone and then run from 10+ Blue players, and you tell me that it’s gonna be even harder?

Dont forget to nerf kite weapons even further, so the last chances to kill player with higher IP, or to win an outnumbered fight will gone.
      You just bring 3 more people and most likely you will win 4v1...
    • This change is horrible. They shoud have added some cosmetics behind the extra grind. Like weapon/armor skins. Or make it so player would drop more silver and/or fame from mobs if he has extra spec. More IP locked behind more grind is the last thing we need.

Open world is in a rough shape. And since there is no IP caps this will push newer players even further out of the open world. SBI will need to make some big buffs if you want open world to have some gameplay.
    • we mostly play red zones with our new recruits and they hit 80 specs very fast.
      we dont even fame well, mostly solo rd.
      a good fame group can hit 100 spec in a very short time. maybe leave your yellow zones instead of complaining about "gap".
      its not like you need 200 hours to get some specs this days.
    • CallMeGosu wrote:

we mostly play red zones with our new recruits and they hit 80 specs very fast.
      a good fame group can hit 100 spec in a very short time. maybe leave your yellow zones instead of complaining about "gap".
      strange of you to assume that people who are not happy about having to grind instanced pve solo dungeons in an open world pvp mmo sandbox, are not leaving yellow zones lmao.
      i have 0-3 hours to play and i spend this time diving or waiting for dive in rz. And its not like it happens very often, but even when it does i dont receive needed fame anyway.
      Amount of forced pve is my issue, not “risk” of pvp, i came for into the game in the first place.

But yeah, maybe i indeed have to pick some fame farming build, get it to 100, and then farm credits for desired weapons, in this sandbox with a vast freedom of choice where i can be anyone i want to, lmao.
    • Metteia wrote:

CallMeGosu wrote:

we mostly play red zones with our new recruits and they hit 80 specs very fast.
      strange of you to assume that people who are not happy about having to grind instanced pve solo dungeons in an open world pvp mmo sandbox, are not leaving yellow zones lmao. i have 0-3 hours to play and i spend this time diving or waiting for dive in rz. And its not like it happens very often, but even when it does i dont receive needed fame anyway.
      Amount of forced pve is my issue, not “risk” of pvp, i came for into the game in the first place.

But yeah, maybe i indeed have to pick some fame farming build, get it to 100, and then farm credits for desired weapons, in this sandbox with a vast freedom of choice where i can be anyone i want to, lmao.
      if you like to play pvp and you still wanna have fame try cd. they offer a very ncie fame/money drop even at the capped full loot ones.
      otherwise, if you like to play open world try lymhurst. dives happen very often there at the t7 rz.
    • i have mixed feeling about the topic but i will try my best to give my thoughts about it

ok lets first look at what is leveling and what is IP which spec gives in the game

in most games leveling is the process of getting stronger and unlocking new skills and at max level in most games it comes with an ultimate skill of sorts as sort of an end game goal but albion does not have that instead it has an IP system which boosts the combat power of an individual weapon and all weapons in that weapon tree

in most cases 100IP diffrence (50 levels) would be 10% more damage/defences/cc and would turn the tide in most cases.
      but there are some weapons in the game with insane scaling which makes the 10% feel more like a 20% and can decide victory by them selves
      examples are like my reg bow.mist piercer 1h curse,1h xbow, dual daggers, bridled fury,bloodletter, infernal scythe, brimstone, pike, One shot grailseeker, mace, tombhammer
      these weapons are chosen because they can do at least 2000+ damage in one rotation of their signature combo/ skill

and because of this reason in hellgates, corrupted dungeons and crystals have IP limitations to help soften this insane power spike

this is also the reason why in most cases people would chase for 700/700 for the main weapon to get that additional 80 IP
      after some theory crafting and some "maths" getting to 100 would be easy but getting to 120 would be like getting from 100/700 to 400/700

this would make it easy for people to level up who main the weapon regularly but for min maxers it would be a "nightmare".
      not saying it cannot be done or to underestimate the will of gamers but it would mostly serve as bragging rights for the most dedicated

but as you know reality some times dont work that way as it can be easily be solved with silver. lots and lots of silver
      so the elite levels will provide some bonuses but it looks more like a silver sink than anything which the game needs to some extent

but if we look from the very very top elite levels like most people fear is going to widen the gap between min maxers and casual where a normal player would get 100/700 but a min maxer would be 700/700 and all elite and for some weapons it would be dangerous for reasons above
      https://forum.albiononline.com/index.php/Thread/155980-The-Forums-Could-Use-a-Night-Mode-Theme/

Contribute to Night Mode with the link above

FYI here is a picture me hugging Night Mode
    • CallMeGosu wrote:

if you like to play pvp and you still wanna have fame try cd. they offer a very ncie fame/money drop even at the capped full loot ones.
      You don't need 120 spec to play stalker. You can do it in 4.1 gear with 90 spec, not even 700/700. Activites that the 120 spec will impact will be further locked away behind pve gring. That's the whole point of this thread.

I like open world pvp and this change will hurt my gameplay.
    • Will need to see how things pan out. I do understand some of the concerns as it does initially come across as "We don't really know what to do, or have that much content to show, so just increase the ceiling for max spec" I really hope that it is more nuanced than this.

I sometimes feel like they have painted themselves into a corner in regards to how the Destiny Board is laid out. I really like the destiny board and I think the "Round table" aesthetic Albion has using circles and curves for its UI is charming. However, it is very difficult to add new gear to the game, as to do so would mean a complete redesign of the destiny board each time.

It would be cool to see new items added on a semi-regular basis, which would allow for players to spec new items and would continually shake up the meta without having to continually micro-manage and balance things behind the scenes.
      Even a white rose has a black shadow.
    • New gear/weapons is always neat but they need major work on balancing the existing ones before even considering adding more to the mess. Especially at their current snails pace of a handful of small tweaks every 2 months.

Most content that people actually play is IP capped anyway so adding extra spec only impacts ZvZ wars. My biggest concern with even more IP is the 5.1 Slayer BH kids are going to turn into 4.1 Slayer BHs kids. They need to completely revamp caps higher as they keep adding all this IP. Or 2v2 HGs people already running in flat 6 this all gets worse with more IP. We need competitive small scale / solo PvP with big gear on the line for vets. Keeping lower IP like Stalker for newer and poor players is fine as well but again give vets something worthwhile.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Tabor ().

• My interpretation of the Elite Spec is that its designed to pull silver out of the economy.

The rewards for doing so seem to have potential to be "required" for certain content. I imagine High Level HCE could be expanded to incorporate the power creep of the higher spec.

As far as PvP, Open World and High Level Crystals are the main sources of content that would be effected. ZvZ builds have the potential to be much stronger with the additional IP. I imagine serious ZvZ forces would work towards getting as much of the additional IP as they can. Small scale content in the roads or royals would probably also be effected as elite groups would have incentive to quickly gain additional IP, but maybe the reduction in effort to get to 100 will basically dampen this advantage.

For both PvE and PvP, the experienced players are going to be using potentially 100s of millions of silver worth of fame credits each to gain these elite levels. This might be desirable for newer players as the experience players become strapped for liquid silver and sell items off.
    • Tabor wrote:

New gear/weapons is always neat but they need major work on balancing the existing ones before even considering adding more to the mess.
      The problem with this approach and mindset is that you will never be able to fully balance all of the gear perfectly. If new gear is added frequently, with new abilities and synergies it means that the micro imbalances wouldn't have time to settle in the way they currently do.

Imagine they just left the gear as it currently stands and rather than dedicating valuable developer time and effort to micro balancing these existing options entire new gear trees were added. Next month a Gunpowder tree is added with a range of different muskets, dual-wielding pistols, etc. They wouldn't have the maneuverability of Bows but would allow for synergies like 5 man firing lines. Just as people are getting to grips with how this would impact the balance and meta... Bam! A water staff tree is added allowing for combined healing and water walls which would counter the gunpowder weapons, then what's that? A new weapon tree is added again, this time it's a conjuring tree.

In my view content is king and allowing for stagnation in this department allows for players and guilds to exploit even the smallest of imbalances and ramp them up to the max. The cure for meta imbalance is keeping new and fresh gear always coming out. Keep the meta in a continual state of flux. It is also fun for the game, allows for developers and designers to actually focus on creating content and gear and keeps everything fresh, interesting and dynamic ALL the time.

The post was edited 1 time, last by WHIT3ROS3 ().

• There is some validity to what you are saying, but I suspect that balancing damage, health, energy costs, cooldowns, range, etc... on existing assets is a more sustainable approach. It takes much less testing to tweak these stats rather than designing new content.

Constantly coming out with new assets while old assets are neglected seems like a fiasco. You will have teams constantly implementing new items and there would inevitably be a power creep of some sort.

Why bring out a weapon if it doesn't do something that no other weapon does? What is the likelihood that a weapon that does what no other weapon does is actually balanced within the existing weapon and armor trees? A weapon introduced would likely be overtuned or undertuned. New weapons would be flavor of the month because of the novelty as well as the power creep.
    • FarmerLee wrote:

Why bring out a weapon if it doesn't do something that no other weapon does?
      Who said to do that? The few suggestions I gave would provide new and interesting things that don't currently exist in the game.

FarmerLee wrote:

I suspect that balancing damage, health, energy costs, cooldowns, range, etc... on existing assets is a more sustainable approach
      We'll have to agree to disagree here. I think continually micro balancing existing assets leads to the opposite of sustainability... I think it leads to stagnation and death.
    • The meta changes what is viable to play. I disagree that a refreshing update to the game requires new items rather than just rebalancing of the existing items.

In a game like Albion, a single "oppressive" build being nerfed or reworked could make other builds completely viable to play in competitive content. You can shake things up with simply adjusting stats on an item or reworking a skill on an existing underutilized item.

And I pose the question. If you constantly add new content, how do you control for power creep? If the new weapon has a completely different niche in the game, how do you control for unintended consequences of the new weapon? Imagine a weapon that is designed with an ability that is fun and engaging for ZvZ but it turns out it is overpowered for ganking or it trivializes an existing PvE encounter?

Design is as much about what you intend to happen as well as what you don't intend to happen. Consequences from tweaking stats on a weapon is much easier to predict and contain than introducing brand new items and abilities. You can reasonably predict the consequences that a slight change in damage will have on the balance of the game, but can you predict what changes a gun tree would bring to the game? If the gun tree is well designed conceptually, it brings strengths and weaknesses together and provides an engaging experience for the player and the opponents.

The developers would have to account for both current and future metas across 1v1, 1xX, 2v2,5v5, Small scale, ZvZ, ganking, transporting, solo dungeons, group dungeons, ava dungeons, roads of ava chests, open world mobs and bosses and future content. Any design would be incredibly complex because it would be reasonable that nothing that came before it was designed with it in mind.
    • That

FarmerLee wrote:

The developers would have to account for both current and future metas across 1v1, 1xX, 2v2,5v5, Small scale, ZvZ, ganking, transporting, solo dungeons, group dungeons, ava dungeons, roads of ava chests, open world mobs and bosses and future content. Any design would be incredibly complex because it would be reasonable that nothing that came before it was designed with it in mind.
      Paralysis by analysis results in stagnation. Pump out new stuff to keep all of the aforementioned metas continually in flux. There is no balance in a game like Albion, it's all rock-paper-scissors. Every build can be beaten by a purpose-built counter build. There are no builds that can beat all builds. This means the gear is already balanced IMO.
    • IP in this game is a joke anyway. I look forward to seeing people making posts like "2000 IP and I STILL die to T4 players".

Vertical progression in an already BORING grindy game is just a slap in the face, and then a kick in the stomach. Haha, let's make the grind even more boring, by making it "cHaLlEnGiNg" to go from 100 > 120 "eLiTe" spec, the playerbase will love that!